KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

The latest conversations about Finance

Join the conversation on
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Many great people in local and corporate offices.(in 70 reviews)
  • "Culture is great in the sales department.(in 50 reviews)
  • "They offer great benefits, and make it possible to be a working mom!(in 25 reviews)
  • "for growth, great leadership(in 20 reviews)
  • "Everyone is so nice and welcoming.(in 17 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Academy Mortgage and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Solid Mortgage Employer

Jun 21, 2022 - Mortgage Underwriter Team Lead
    Business Outlook

Pros

Family-oriented company that practices what they preach.

Cons

Nothing of significance to mention.

Academy Mortgage

Thank you for leaving us a review! We are glad to have you on our team.

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Great Company - but cyclical mortgage industry is rough

Jun 21, 2022 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Academy is an amazing company with the best overall culture I've ever experienced. Their dedication to service is amazing and despite one huge con, I really do believe in the leadership. The people I work with are simply the best and I wouldn't trade them for anything.

Cons

Working in the mortgage industry is rough because of it's cyclical nature. We all recognize that there will be times of hard layoffs. With that said, as much as I love Academy, they could be a case study for what NOT to do with layoffs. There is 0 transparency and even less communication. Nobody talks about the fact that the person sitting next to you is suddenly not there in the morning or when you show up for a meeting and the other person doesn't - you're not sure if they are running late, out sick, or have been let go. You tend to use outlook to see if their status has turned to gray to find out if they are still employed. Then it's up to you to figure out how to proceed with the work you are doing when key people are gone. Direct management does their best, and at least in my world, they hold space for those of us left behind. The lack of any communication keeps everyone on edge, wondering if we will be next. It's horrible!!!

2 people found this review helpful

Academy Mortgage

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. Your review has been passed along to our leadership team. We appreciate your feedback!

3. 5.0

I love Academy!

Mar 3, 2022 - Mortgage Loan Closer in Phoenix, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

I love it here. My peers are nice and respectful people. I work with the loan processors, loan officers, UW and post closing and everyone is nice, easy to work with and responsive when I have needs. I cannot complain, everyone I am in contact with is courteous and friendly. I have work/life balance. The system is easy to use, I have a lot of support in my position be it my manager or our online knowledge database. I understand my job 100 percent. I am very fortunate to work with so many nice people. I am treated with respect.

Cons

My annoyances aren't really Academy MTg issues. They are more along the lines of LO communication styles, while none are rude to me, they have a tendency to answer emails without full comprehension of what is being asked of them. which, obviously creates mass confusion.

2 people found this review helpful

Academy Mortgage

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review! Your comments help us get better, and we appreciate the opportunity to learn.

4. 5.0
    Former Employee

Academy

Jun 3, 2022 - Senior Underwriter III
    Business Outlook

Pros

loved working here loved the culture the staff management my team had great tools very user friendly felt like they cared

Cons

no company is perfect they could work on better communication and better employee recognition

Academy Mortgage

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, and for letting us know how we can improve! We will share your feedback with our teams so we can continue to better serve our employees.

5. 3.0

Okay

Jun 27, 2022 - Disclosure Specialist in Draper, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Everyone is so nice and always willing to help if you have questions

Cons

When you get paid semi-monthly it seems you bring home less than you would getting paid bi-weekly. The pay doesn’t add up

Academy Mortgage

We appreciate your thoughts and feedback! Your review helps us continue to provide the best experience for our team members.

6. 5.0

Great company

May 3, 2022 - Employee Onboarding Specialist in Draper, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

Leadership does their best to be transparent about company direction Support from direct leaders Company actively lives the proclaimed culture and vision Service is encouraged (30 hours of Volunteer time off is given each year) Always trying to improve and listen to feedback from employees My work life does not interfere with my personal life

Cons

There is currently not a position on my team to move up into as I progress at the company. This is limiting my options for my growth here. Frequent changes to structure of teams

Senior Manager, Integrated Marketing

Thank you for your feedback! Your experiences matter to us, and we are always working to improve.

7. 5.0

Best in the business!

Mar 4, 2022 - Quality Control in Rolling Meadows, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

After 20+ years in the mortgage industry, I finally found a place I can call home in Academy Mortgage. I've never worked for a company that cares more about its people. From onboarding to training through regular meetings and summits, senior leadership consistently engages us beyond production statistics and taps into the core convictions that drive each of us to succeed. The approach is genuine and so refreshing. If you're looking for a family oriented company that will help you find your greater purpose while simultaneously helping others establish the dream of home ownership, Academy Mortgage is the place for you!

Cons

Honestly, none. I can't think of one negative thing to say.

Academy Mortgage

Thank you for your review! We are proud to have you be a part of our Academy family.

8. 3.0
    Former Employee

Great place to get experience, and then move on.

Jun 2, 2022 - Scrum Master
    Business Outlook

Pros

They provide good opportunities to help the coimmunity with service projects. They took a chance on me and allowed me to tackle a role I had neer done before.

Cons

Cyclical layoffs. Don't offer competitive pay in IT. They prefer hiring junior employees and then when the employee gets the experience they need, they move on.

Academy Mortgage

Thank you for letting us know about your time with Academy. We appreciate hearing from you, and your opinion helps us continue to grow.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good place

Jun 15, 2022 - Mortgage Banker (MLO) in Chandler, AZ
    Business Outlook

Pros

Laid back culture, good benefits and leads at times

Cons

Too many meetings, non competitive rates at times

Academy Mortgage

We appreciate your feedback! Thank you for taking the time to let us know how we can better support our team members.

10. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Good overall company, no chance for advancements.

Apr 28, 2022 - Post Closing Specialist in Draper, UT
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a fun environment that offers soda fountains on every floor, a private gym and fruit and cereal provided by the company.

Cons

They told me when I started that they would move me through the department fast if I was a hard worker and proved to be good at what I was hired to do. I have had no advancement after a year and a half and there are no opportunities to move laterally as I have tried and not even been considered.

1 person found this review helpful

Senior Manager, Integrated Marketing

Thank you for your review! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, we're always looking for ways to improve.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 654 Reviews

Academy Mortgage Reviews FAQs

Academy Mortgage has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 662 reviews left anonymously by employees. 89% of employees would recommend working at Academy Mortgage to a friend and 76% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -7% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Academy Mortgage employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Academy Mortgage. This rating has decreased by -9% over the last 12 months.

89% of Academy Mortgage employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Academy Mortgage 4.4 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.6 for culture and values and 4.0 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Academy Mortgage to be senior leadership, career development, benefits and the cons to be compensation .

Popular Careers with Academy Mortgage Job Seekers