Academy of Art University Reviews

Updated Jan 12, 2021

2.5
Academy of Art University President Elisa Stephens
Elisa Stephens
Pros
  • "It's located in the beautiful downtown San Francisco with plenty of things to do and places to eat(in 23 reviews)

• "My manager was one of the few great people in this organization(in 22 reviews)

Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. "Great Working Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Teacher Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great work environment and supporting team.

Cons

Working with children can be stressful, but that is in any place.

2. "Like a family"

4.0
    Current Employee - Department Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Amazing Director and Associate Director

Cons

salary and career growth could be better

3. "Photography Department"

Former Employee - Work Study Student in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University part-time for less than a year

Pros

Friendly, Helpful, Respectful, Reliable, Interactive

Cons

Early morning job, can get boring,

4. "It's ok"

2.0

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time for less than a year

Pros

It's an easy office job

Cons

The management is only focusing on getting more students.

5. "Great staff, interesting work"

4.0
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Academy of Art University part-time

Pros

Staff and students are a pleasure to work with.

Cons

Financial priorities of the owners and administration do not always have the staff in mind.

6. "Soulless place. No values. Absolute scam to poor students."

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time for less than a year

Pros

My managers were chill and understanding. No after-hours work.

Cons

Where do I start. The president of the school has no compassion nor care for students. Neither the staff that worked long enough there. Really high turn over. Some departments are hell to work at (like admissions), and other departments are more chill. The overall picture is that people tend to leave as soon as possible. Only greedy or those who stop caring about work/life/student values stay past 1 year. People tend to stay 3-6 months while looking for a better opportunity. The worst is seeing how the school scams students, sells false dreams and preys on them signing on high private loans. If you are desperate for a job and need to pay your bills, it will get you the coin, but try to be on a look out for a better opportunity if you care about students or about your own values at all. The overall reputation of AAU is beyond terrible (no matter where do you look or how hard they try to hide it with all paid publicity on random website. 4% graduation rate should tell scream at you what a bad deal students get for such high tuition) and sooner or later their scam bubble will bust. Shame on you President of AAU. I wonder if you can sleep at night seeing what is your little empire doing to the poor students.

7. "A Scam school"

Former Employee - Graduate Advisor

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time

Pros

The staff ( not management, but other advisors and professors) really care about the students

Cons

Not student centered, management only cares about the bottom line, and the institution is a scam.

8. "AAU Review"

Former Employee - Student Services Advisor

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time for more than a year

Pros

work-life balance great coworker and teammates great faculties

Cons

poor management, departments don't like to work with each other they don't care about student success as much as enrollment rate demanding management; you are more like a customer services representative and sales than an advisor minimal benefits and employee perk no day off for most holidays no room for growth

Continue reading
  9. "Enforces "Self-Starter" Attitude"

Current Employee - Undergraduate Student Services Advisor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Academy of Art University full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Learned a lot about how to communicate across different departments (i.e. Admin, Financial, Academic) - Team dynamic is amazing

Cons

- High stress work environment - Little to no professional development opportunities

10. "Fun Remote Position Inspiring Prospective Art Students"

Former Employee - Outreach Representative

I worked at Academy of Art University full-time

Pros

In this position, I had the opportunity to recruit, inspire, and inform students ranging from HS to CC about the Academy of Art University. Meeting excited students and teachers were definitely the best parts of this job. Also, being able to participate in a wide array of events that the Academy was either hosting or a part of was another fun perk. This position is also remote so no need to clock in or out at an office.

Cons

This position requires a great deal of travel. Driving to different High Schools and Community Colleges was always an inevitable con of this position. My commutes would range from 20 mins, to almost an hour depending on how far the school was located from my place of residence within my assigned territory. Also, high school students can be difficult to work with sometimes.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 523 English Reviews