Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences Reviews

Updated Jun 11, 2020

2.9
Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences CEO Dawn Hudson  (no image)
Dawn Hudson

"It's The Dream"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Beverly Hills, CA

I have been working at Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

I've worked here for over many years now and have nothing but positive things to say about my experience thus far. First off, the organization's mission to champion the past, present, and future of filmmaking is something I really believe in. It's also very clear that everyone in the organization - from its employees to its members - are all doing everything they can to support that mission. And even if something misses the mark (which is more "rare" than "often"), whether it's an event, or a program, or piece of marketing material, I genuinely believe the people behind it had their hearts in the right place - which is more than you can ask for from most organizations. To that point, I think for the most part, the right people are in the right places to execute the mission at hand. I think this is why the company culture overall is significantly more supportive and positive than other places I've been. People seem to generally be on the same page, want to do good work, and care about other people. I have been nothing but supported from the day I stepped foot here, from my managers, and to those I work with - and I've always felt like an integral part of a fun, hard-working, focused team here. I also appreciate the work-life balance. Sure, things can get busy around Oscars time, but people seem to value a balanced life during the "off-season" and while we all still work hard, we're allowed to live our lives as well. It's not hyperbole to say that this is the best place I've ever worked.

Cons

The only really big "con" is that since it is such a large organization, sometimes things can move slowly in terms of approvals, etc. I wish more was done than sometimes gets done.

2. COVID-19

"Uses loopholes to avoid giving part time staff benefits when they work full time hours."

1.0

I worked at Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

There are a lot of good people at this company who truly care about the importance of art in film, and it shows in multiple departments.

Cons

The executives at this company are blinded by privilege and are disingenuous in their attempts to create a more diverse space for artists. They don't pay their part time staff fairly and ask them to work full time hours in other departments without benefits - even now during a health pandemic.

Continue reading

3. "Good Work Environment"

Former Employee - Production Assistant

I worked at Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences full-time

Pros

good pay, benefits are pretty good

Cons

slow environment, not possible to grow

"Hard to feel part of a team when your left out"

Current Employee - IT Specialist

I have been working at Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences full-time for less than a year

Pros

Many great people on staff, on the great one are on the lower end of the totem pole

Cons

Not being treated as a valued member of the team. Being left out for not being the a smoker or asian dissent

Continue reading
  5. "A Place of Possibilities"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

*Potential Oscar tickets. *Working with the smartest, most sincere and best film fans in the world. *Summer Fridays. *Member screenings. *Great resources at the archive, film library, soon-to-be museum. *Incredibly supportive team members.

Cons

*Offices are spread out. It makes communication a challenge. *Because the company is more an arts admin organization than a studio, promotions are paced more in line with admin rather than entertainment (ie slower).

Continue reading

"Good people, but lots of room for improvement!"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great team, lovely people.

Cons

Badly paid, office isn't that nice.

7. "Lucky to work here!"

Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences full-time

Pros

- Iconic brand that gives back to the community it supports. - Working alongside passionate, creative people.

Cons

The Academy has been around for a long time, so it is still trying to catch up in terms of a modern work culture, but it is headed in the right direction!

"Don't Do It"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Beverly Hills, CA

I worked at Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences full-time for more than a year

Pros

You get to see all of the movie releases, sometimes ahead of time.

Cons

The CEO, Dawn Hudson... I simply cannot find anything nice to say about her leadership or lack thereof. Problems start at the top and she is definitely the reason why the opportunity has been missed for this company to be a workplace of inspiration and innovation. She is rude to staff, lazy, inconsistent, habitually late to all meetings, careless. She reduces the morale of the entire building. Everyone who works in the Beverly Hills office is miserable because they constantly have to scramble to put her fires out. As a result, it's a bad, tension filled place to work. It's a mystery that she has this job in the first place. The misery of working at this company definitely starts at the top. For this to be the Oscars it's a shame that this place is so lacking in basic leadership.

9. "Wonderful"

Current Employee - Coordinator in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Wonderful place to work if you love cinema

Cons

as in any other job, if you are patient with people’s egos and insecurities, you will eventually feel part of a family.

"Theatre Staff"

4.0

I have been working at Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences part-time

Pros

Great community and fun benefits

Cons

Theatre Staff is often used to temp in other departments. At first it seems as though this might lead to growth within the company, but after you've been there a while, you realize they are only using you so they can temporarily pay a low hourly rate rather than having to hire someone for more money. Eventually, Theatre Staffers have to take on other jobs to be able to support themselves.

Found 28 reviews