Acadia Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.0
Acadia Healthcare Chairman and CEO Joey A. Jacobs
Joey A. Jacobs

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Fast paced, positive work/life balance, great teams, opportunities for growth and development (in 6 reviews)

• Great perks and wonderful work environment (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • premiums are high and there is no 401k match (in 14 reviews)

• There is no 401k match which is the greatest disadvantage (in 13 reviews)

"Work with at-risk-kids, can be reward but also frustrating"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

Pros

You get to work with kids and hopefully make a positive impact on their lives. Working at the site is interesting because of the kids interacting but it is also a rather grim place

Cons

First kid I worked with didn't listen to anything I said and was %100 defiant. Sometimes difficult to understand exactly where you fit in.

Advice to Management

Clean up the main facility. That is my my main concern with Desert Hills up until this point just go

"All down hill after take over."

Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Ocklawaha, FL
    Former Employee - Registered Nurse in Ocklawaha, FL

I worked at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Loved my job for a long time prior to take over. Working with clients was wonderful and I
    could see the difference my work was making in their lives.

Cons

When take over was in progress I was happy thinking the favoritism would be resolved and policy would change such as family working together and convicted felons would be removed from positions. All that happened was the top was given new titles. RN's replaced by inexperienced LPN's and new grads.

Advice to Management

Wake up. No doubt I will be reading about a sentinel event in the newspaper soon. What ever happened to exit interviews. After you have had an employee for yrs don't you wonder why in this job market they would quit?? Poor compliance with safety issues. Fall precautions safe detox. Multiple Med errors by incompetent staff overlooked and discarded. Large staff turn over.

"addictions counselor"

Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Charlestown, IN
    Former Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Charlestown, IN

Pros

Coworkers and most supervisors at the local level were great to work with.
    Working with patients is very rewarding (if that is where your heart is).

Cons

The pay is insulting. Upper management continues to pour the orange Kool-Aid down everyone's throat. Tries to convince you they pay "fair market wages". If you question this, you are a "trouble maker". Also some of the staff (non-degreed) who have access to employees' private information does not use confidentiality.

Advice to Management

The management at the local level just has to do what they're told. I really do not have advice for them other than to look for other employment because all of their jobs are threatened at least on a weekly basis.

"Mental HealthTherapist"

Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Beaver, WV
    Current Employee - Mental Health Therapist in Beaver, WV

Pros

Great Staff. Positive work environment. .really enjoy the population I work with

Cons

Does not appreciate Degrees,credentials although they are required to have the job. Salary is very insulting

Advice to Management

I work there because I like the patient population and the staff. Salary seems to match how the company feels about the staff. Compensate you staff that do a good job are qualified and want to be there

"I had to constantly watch my back."

Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH
    Former Employee - Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner in Columbus, OH

I worked at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There was a lot of money to be made. They only want independent contractors, which I liked. It gave a clinician the freedom to work as much or as little as you want.

Cons

The company cut corners. They did not treat their staff or patients well. They hired "sketchy" clinicians.

Advice to Management

Be supportive of staff. Be sincere, and don't just provide "lip service."

"Upper Management Breeds Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Addictions Counselor in Jeffersonville, IN
    Current Employee - Addictions Counselor in Jeffersonville, IN

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Able to start at a decent wage for only a Bachelor's degree, but even then, it's barely enough to justify the workload. However, this truly is a job that you get to leave at the office and don't have to worry about at home.

Cons

The fact that the company is profit-driven in human services/healthcare should tell you everything. Retention (read: dollars coming in daily) is the number one concern, while quality of care and patient progress seem to be relegated to the back burner. Counselors and nurses absorb almost all of the blame whenever things don't go exactly as corporate wants, even though we deal with humans, who by their nature, can be unpredictable, even more so when they're struggling with addiction.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to staff concerns, and stop negating every criticism of P&P with a pre-rehearsed cookie-cutter answer about how it will eventually help.

"Substance Abuse Counselor"

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Helping people put their lives back together. Staff is pleasant to work with. Good work hours early in and early out.

Cons

Originally worked for Habit OPCO when CRC took over the benefits were decreased and since Acadia took over the benefits are even worse. Lost holidays now e only get the major holidays and there is no match on the 401k, the stock is public but they we got zero match to our contributioms and they don't offer us any of their stock. High caseloads that violate state regulations.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff better it is not the ones in the corporate offic that keeps your programs running it is the staff in your facilities that keep the clients in treatment. If we felt appreciated maybe the turnover rate would lower.

"Director of Nursing"

Former Employee - Director of Nursing in Lafayette, LA
    Former Employee - Director of Nursing in Lafayette, LA

Pros

Growing company in mental/behavioral health field with good clinical Corporate support; Corporate training provided in person and via webinars; competitive salary

Cons

multiple demanding job roles hidden within this position; Corporate Clinical services is not aware of Corporate Administration's agenda thus resulting in high turn-over rates on the hospital level

Advice to Management

Learn to balance decision making regarding hospital leadership; Corporate Clinical services should have input on the hospital leadership they train and invest in; Corporate Administration should invest in their hospital leadership and not "change pants" every time adversity arises; human resources in the mental/behavioral health field are limited

"Substance Abuse Counselor"

I worked at Acadia Healthcare full-time

Pros

Convenient location - draws in the people that actually need help

Cons

Poor feedback given to clinicians, emphasis is on productivity, and there is no actual office support.

Advice to Management

Care about you clinicians and staff

"All about the bottom line"

Current Employee - Therapist
    Current Employee - Therapist

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time

Pros

Work in community based mental health. Good emphasis placed on training and supervision for clinical skills.

Cons

All about billable hours and the bottom line rather than best interest of clients.

Advice to Management

Start employees out at more manageable pace, don't take on cases of employees can't handle the extra work.