Acadia Healthcare Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Acadia Healthcare Chairman and CEO Joey A. Jacobs
Joey A. Jacobs

Pros
  • Good work/life balance; not required to work unreasonable hours; benefits are decent; consistent application of policies across facilities (in 3 reviews)

• We have an awesome director in Green Bay- WI; I really enjoy working at this clinic because she maintains a professional and fun work environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Patient care is put at risk by poor patient complaint process (in 11 reviews)

• There's a reason for their high turnover (in 6 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Only good things...."

Current Employee - Intake Director in Wilmington Manor, DE
    Current Employee - Intake Director in Wilmington Manor, DE

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

variety of training opportunities/educational materials now provided by the corporate office
    strong sense of ethics and integrity
    NOT all about the bottom-line; patients are the highest priority
    competitive salary

Cons

none (yes employees work hard here, and are encouraged to show "ownership" of their role in the company)

"Billionaires with no care"

Current Employee - MHPP/Lecdt in Trumann, AR
    Current Employee - MHPP/Lecdt in Trumann, AR

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Its local, my fellow employees on site, and my patients.

Cons

When Acadia bought my company I was exicted thinking it would be for the best. WRONG. They seem to not have a care in the world about employee. We are always short staffed, do not get paid enough and its less than 9$ an hour, I have never met anyone higher up than our local CEO but feel the wrath of all the choices they make to save a dollar, they dont seem to care about our children that attend their clinics because by the choice they make you can clearly tell, and they dont communicate with staff period!! Oh and they have an occurrence system a patient has the stomach bug gives it to you the supervisor sends you home but you get an occurrence! !! Ridiculous

Advice to Management

Go to a clinic and work for less than 9$ an hour in the classroom for a week and see what choices you make then. Communicate one on one with your staff. Cheaper better insurance and more pay. Due away with occurrence system and hire more people.

"Horrible company.."

Current Employee - Anonymous in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get a paycheck (somewhat), great employees (who won't be there much longer due to lay offs)

Cons

This place used to be a great place to work. However, things went down hill once Acadia bought us out. Nearly all of administration was fired and now they have corporate folks running the show that have no idea how to manage a psych facility. You're forced to work 12 - 18 hour shifts with no break. Half the time your pay check isn't right and they won't give you the money for the hours you worked. They don't pay you the shift diff's like they are supposed to. Staffing is horrible. Due to lack of staff and proper management, this is a very unsafe place to work. Not enough staff to properly watch and manage the patients. Patients don't get the care that they need due to the minimal staff. Patients leave and come right back because they weren't properly treated. They don't care about their employees, patients, or anything else except making money. I wouldn't recommend working here.

Advice to Management

You are about to lose a lot of great, dedicated, and loyal employees who actually care about the patients. I understand that this is a business and you need to be profitable but with the route you're going, you're going to end up failing because you can't keep employees or your patients safe. You will either bankrupt or be sued due to malpractice, neglect, and abuse of your patients because all you care about is money.

"Philadelphians: Run for the Hills!!!!!"

Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Registered Nurse in Philadelphia, PA

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They tell you that you should be lucky that you have a job. Is that a pro? Probably not; however, I do agree that having some sort of paycheck is nice.

Cons

When Einstein Hospital sold their Belmont Center for Comprehensive Treatment facility, a psyche facility of approximately 143 bed, to Acadia Healthcare, we did not know what to expect. The transition was a complete joke. It has been almost a month after this transition and we still are using Einstein forms. Acadia has NEVER posted their employment policies anywhere and we were directly told to continue following Einstein policies. However, we are NO LONGER Einstein employees and NO LONGER have access to their policies. Communication is a complete joke. There is NO COMMUNICATION. I've gotten more information from a rock. This is sad. If you send an email to most anyone NO ONE replies. Instead, someone tries to speak to you verbally so that there is no email trail and they cannot be held accountable. This is pathetic. Although they honored a 2% raise Einstein had promised its employees, if you were still entitled to a raise for either new skills learned or yearly review they did not give it; instead, they gave every fictitious reason as to how they are "working on it" but nothing happens. We are soooooo short staffed at this moment that working on the floors has become a daily crap shoot and very dangerous! Their own website does not even have a career tab when you visit the Belmont Behavioral Hospital site; yet they talk about having a job fair in August. How in the world a company can take over a psychiatric hospital and not have its website ready to go, even for employment possibilities, is most pathetic. AND if you were participating in Einstein's tuition reimbursement plan... no more. They have NO TUITION REIMBURSEMENT and have no intention of offering it at this facility. Their version of investing in their employees is to have an employee of the month and an off-site Christmas party (this is their actual answer). ABSOLUTELY PATHETIC!

Advice to Management

Try giving a crap about your employees. Unlike most other hospitals in the region, you have no idea what it means to utilize a true collaborative effort in policy creation, patient care, and safety management. Have your CEO take his sports coat off and roll up his sleeves and hit the floors with the nurses and behavioral health associates to see what it really is like on a day to day basis and to assess where true areas of opportunity exist to better the overall care provided to the patients and how to appreciate your staff. The work "communication" is in the dictionary. Your company has no idea what that word means. And lastly, invest in your employees. A carrot-and-stick investment is the antithesis of a substantive employee investment. Discard the former and stick with the latter. Your company will actually retain employees that way rather than having almost everyone placing applications with other hospitals in the region.

"Could Care Less About Patient Safety or Employees For That Matter"

Current Employee - Anonymous
    Current Employee - Anonymous

Pros

Love the people I work with

Cons

Understaffing, understaffing, understaffing!!!! Did I mention understaffing? Their ratios may be leag but they are not safe and many of our patients feel neglected and end up discharging before their treatment is complete. Upper management with the exception of a select few have no respect or appreciation for staff. As long as Acadia stock or profits could possibly go up half a point you are worked into the ground without consideration for your physical or mental health.

Advice to Management

Wake up! You have revolving door staff here in California? Have you ever thought about the reason why you can't keep staff? There will never be consistency in patient care if this continues! If staffing continues as it is you will have a sentinel event at your hospital. It isn't a matter of if but when. And of course staff will be thrown under the bus and not your idiotic staffing decisions!

"Watch Your Back"

Pros

Having a job to pay bills.

Cons

The "technology" you're asked you to use is a joke. Really cuts down on productivity. Your manager may try and be cost efficient by asking you to pay for "computer" to be sent in to IT. Supposedly you'll be reimbursed.

Advice to Management

Hire people who have actual backgrounds in their dept.

"Look for a more professional organization."

Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Substance Abuse Counselor in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The only benefits derived from this organization is patient interaction.

Cons

*Buy out lead to already earned vacation time being stripped from all employees. A violation of Workforce Development code.
    *Company condones an employee that makes sexual remarks to patients and coworkers.
    *It is frowned upon if you point out to management that a coworker is making the company extremely liable for damages because they are not adequately completing their work or falsifying documents.
    *State regulations are being violated by having case loads of 70 patients.
    *Financial gain for the corporation is placed above patient care.
    *You are asked to falsify supervision hours in order to maintain compliance with state regulations so the clinic will not fined a penalty.

Advice to Management

Change everything about how you practice business and how you treat hard working employees.

"Don't do it!!!!! I mean work here."

Current Employee - Nurse in Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Nurse in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I work with some great clinicians, support staff, and nurses. I have dollars deposited in my checking account every other week.

Cons

I started out working for Habit Management which became Habit OPCO in 2006 or so. That was a wonderful company to work for that believed in taking care of employees and service to our patients. We were been taken over twice (CRC and Acadia Healthcare) in 12 months. Since the take overs we have seen nothing but computer problems, a HUGE reduction in employee benefits, and the attitude of our patients are just "junkies" and let's see if we can suck every dollar the government will give us while giving subpar service. We have become legal drug dealers. If the good people of Massachusetts knew how much they were getting ripped off by these thieves making enormous profits from the misery of fellow community members they would be up in arms. Today the company announced that all support staff, managers, and nurses had to take a week off because of what appears to be billing errors in the updated software. This is the most stressful time of year for many of our patients and when support is needed the most.Unfortunately, the patients bear the brunt of it of the fiscal mismanagement., although I'm sure John P. and Joey J. will be enjoying their holidays and year end bonus.

Advice to Management

Realize that the CTC employees are what will make this a successful business and all you can do is ruin everything while you sit in Cupertino or Franklin

10. "victim of takeover"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acadia bought my company out a year ago. Only positives since takeover, paycheck and dedicated coworkers that really care about the patients when company obviously does not.

Cons

Lost benefits and vacation hrs. Company only cares about making a profit. No support with alot changes being made. Patients and staff are only seen as dollar signs.

Advice to Management

Any company that claims to be involved in "Healthcare" should realize that the patients and support staff matter. Stop buying up company's when you have no experience or idea on how they actually operate.

"Don't Work Here Under Any Circumstances"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Acadia Healthcare (More than a year)

Pros

There were no pros, none at all, none whatsoever, I am only including this since I am required to include 20 words for it to go through.

Cons

Management played games, was untruthful, and bullying. No recourse as informed if contacted HR directly it would be insubordination and I would be fired immediately. Since my concerns were related to my supervisor, forcing me to give him everything to send at which point he made a point of reading it in front of me then took it into his office the liklihood of their having anything I wanted sent in slim to none. I was not allowed to see my personel file when telling them I was leaving and after giving two weeks notice, my boss waited until the day before my last day to make up a charge and fire me for cause.

Advice to Management

You need to seriously consider who you hire as upper level management and how much leeway you give them. When you hear things that sound unusual check them out and don't trust far away emloyees to do as they wish. Don't sacrifice valuable employess with skills you could use to better the company as a trade off for low quality entry level people just because they can be manipulated and don't let managers do this. It would be to your benefit to keep those with credentials, experience, expertise and who are recognized in their field and use them for what they are best at. It stands to reason being able to take credit for what they do with the company which is to be expected at a corporation would add to not substract from managements profiles.