Acadian Ambulance Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Acadian Ambulance Service Reviews

Found 118 reviews

3.4
Richard Zuschlag
Pros
  • "NEMSA may not be the best paramedic school but maybe its the cheapest(in 9 reviews)

• "The company is employee owned so you can invest in company stocks after you have been with he company for a year(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "I would like to see a more comprehensive and open dispatch policy(in 13 reviews)

• "cares more about billing patients than patient care quality(in 10 reviews)

1. "great company!"

Current Employee - FLIGHT PARAMEDIC/CCT PARAMEDIC in Ruston, LA

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service part-time for more than 9 years

Pros

great pay compared to the previous company. part time personnel qualify for 401K/ESOP if they work enough hours. you will get out of the company the effort you put in

Cons

continuing education classes such as ACLS PALS or BLS renewal are not offered internally, however in our area there are plenty of instructor to get these through

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-05-02

"Most complacent work environment"

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time for more than a year

Pros

Plenty of hours Plethora of supervisors East access to guidelines and handbook

Cons

"Someone else's problem" mentality across the entire board Unreliable schedule Seems to run by what works and not by hard set rules or guidelines (cutting corners)

Advice to Management

Hold everyone accountable for their actions, inventory, required uniforms, and unit appearance. Get rid of the ideology of "not my job" by whatever means

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-05-03

"Learn To Promote Based Off Talent And Not Preference"

Former Employee - Paramedic

I worked at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time for more than 6 years

Pros

ESOP is probably the only thing they have going right now

Cons

Too big to manage Decentralized Leadership Promotes based of friendship and time at company not talent or merit Pay is lacking Work life balance sucks

Advice to Management

Learn to hire and promote the right people. Just because you have worked there 20+ years doesn't mean you know how to be a leader. You have baby sitters and supervisors not leaders. Promoting because you like the way she looks or because you are friends is no way to run a company.

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-04-11

"Good experience, easy burnout."

Current Employee - EMT-PARAMEDIC in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time for more than 2 years

Pros

Lots of overtime opportunities, friendly and close-knit environment amongst employees, decent pay for the area, slightly more 911 emergency calls over transfers, mostly rural service area with longer transport times, many available hospitals to transport to, great experience for those new to EMS.

Cons

High focus on profit, overbearing management, getting off shift late relatively often, poor dispatch planning, high inter-facility transfer volume, little downtime, management and dispatch are not often empathetic to crews, EMTs have very limited scope of practice and too much unnecessary responsibility is placed on paramedics.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and treat them fairly. Running your crews into the ground and then requesting they work more OT is unfair and dangerous. Make a real effort to put employees over profit, and learn to praise your employees more often than you scold them. Remember that your experience in the field is different than how it is now, and take that into account. Stock ownership and small gifts for safety scores aren’t...

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-03-16
  5. "A steady well defined position with growth opportunities."

Current Employee - Paramedic in Lake Charles, LA

Pros

I appreciate working here for many reasons they are the pay, the ESOP, the chance for advancement, and the stability of a large private ambulance service. The pay is the highest I have received in my career, but, believe you me you work for it. The ESOP is employee stock option program, basically I own a piece of the company. This gives me great pride in my working enviroment, my equipment, and my customers. Since...

Cons

I would like to see a more comprehensive and open dispatch policy. I would like to see a more complete IT department. (Maybe move them out of the home office into a regional or roaming type situation.) I would like to see some moral improvements.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work, listen to your employees, and keep us on track. Stop worrying about the budget and focus on moral.

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-02-23
  6. "A unique experience"

Former Employee - Critical Care Paramedic in West Baton Rouge, LA

I worked at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time for more than 9 years

Pros

Not micromanaged, Payed well, Nice equipment compared to other ambulance services.

Cons

Can not be late but are expected to stay late at a moments notice. Sometimes it is not the company's fault but sometimes it is.

Advice to Management

Dispatch should not be as powerful as they are.

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-02-20

"Horrid."

Current Employee - Critical Care Paramedic in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service

Pros

Overtime readily available and multiple locations. If you're an lsu fan you can pick up games

Cons

Management will speak down to you as though you are a child. There is no respect for females by management. In general, it is an environment that is very detrimental to mental health and poor morale abounds. Pay is criminally low.

Advice to Management

Start treating your employees like assets instead of children

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-03-21
  8. "Great coworkers"

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

Benefits and plenty of overtime

Cons

Low pay scale, long hours

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-02-04
  9. "Great Company, Upper management out of touch with field"

Current Employee - Paramedic Field Supervisor in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time for more than 20 years

Pros

GREAT RETIREMENT. Employee owned company. Decent health insurance. Yearly raises. Plenty of room for advancement in career as well as the opportunity to work in other divisions such as offshore, dispatch, airmed, etc.

Cons

upper management is severely out of touch with the field, many have not seen the back of an ambulance in over 20 years, sometimes push for unrealistic expectations.

Advice to Management

Get back in touch with working in the field, times have changed, it's not 1971 anymore.

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-01-19
  10. "great career opportunities"

Pros

If you start out with the company as an EMT or Paramedic and want to move up in leadership, there are plenty of opportunities

Cons

some areas aren't primarily 911

Acadian Ambulance Service2019-01-03