Acadian Ambulance Service Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Richard Zuschlag

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • The company is employee owned so you can invest in company stocks after you have been with he company for a year (in 6 reviews)

• benefits, ESOP, Stability, Decent pay (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • cares more about billing patients than patient care quality (in 10 reviews)

• Working long hours keeps you away from family (in 4 reviews)

1. "Paramedic"

Current Employee - Paramedic in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Paramedic in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to work at

Cons

Lots of rules and regulations, limited maintenance support

Advice to Management

Work on employee retention

2. "former employee"

I worked at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

Pay is good. Amazing coworkers

Cons

hours and shifts get crazy at times.

3. "Decent Company"

Former Employee - Field Paramedic in New Orleans, LA
    Former Employee - Field Paramedic in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Normal EMS agency. Good logistics and leadership. Knows how to function as an agency and a professional company. Lots of opportunity for advancement.

Cons

Pay depends on region and could always be higher and the Dispatchers have entirely too much control over the system. Long Distant transports for crews could be managed better. I think that it is also unsafe to have out of town units running emergencies in systems they are unfamiliar with.

Advice to Management

Rethink the dispatch power.

4. "Computer Technician Intern"

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service part-time

Pros

Flexible hours and friendly coworkers

Cons

I honestly can not name any cons.

"Good Beginning job or start for EMS Career."

Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - EMT-Basic in Houston, TX

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overtime- There’s always overtime, if you want to work it’s there for you!

Learning- Being at this company I’ve learned a significant amount of knowledge for a “newbie”

ESOP/401K- They’re both great and very competitive to other companies as well as the insurance!

Good Employees- Most of the medics I’ve worked with have always been extremely helpful and happy to help or teach me something if asked, of course there are those few “bad apples” (and most of them come from companies that have been bought out by acadian, or seasoned medics who are easy to retire) that will aggravate you or not be helpful, but they are few and far between in my area.

CE/School- All of your CE’s for National Registry are free, and they offer a paramedic program to you for different deals you can take (have to look into it to long to explain)

Units/Equipment- This can be a Pro and Con. Most of the times units are in great condition and always have the most update to date equipment, a Lucas, Monitors, etc. Or other times you can get bad units that should not still be running but the company is keeping them in service to “save money”

Cons

Supervisors- Some of them speak above you, as if you are an idiot and don’t deserve to be in there presence.

Transfers- I myself coming from a volunteer 911 company did not want to do transfers but if that’s your cup of tea it may be your Pro, I fortunately moved to a district where we do 99% 911 and very rarely will get pulled for a transfer if our transfer side is backed up.

Pay- Could be better paid for the hours, I’ve seen companies who are willing to pay 5-6$ more an hour, but then again they offer little to no insurance or overtime.

Money Hungry- When I say this it may be different in some eyes, but this company is the most money hungry company I’ve seen. I do understand we are not paid by tax dollars unlike Fire Departments and County EMS. But, whenever we get a refusal on a patient it hurts your AMPS score (score that can be used to get you a raise) so in other words, if I can’t convince Ole Miss Mary that her stubbed toe to go to the hospital via my ambulance it hurts my score to possibly get a promotion of some sort. But, it doesn’t hurt it extremely bad, but we all know that you can get multiple refusals in a day that is not under our control, if someone does not want to go to the hospital that doesn’t need to go, why do I get punished for it? Also, you’re always told you need to get IV starts, and have all of these things done for patients that really don’t need certain interventions because again, MONEY.

Management- At times they’re great and I could not complain such as overtime, anytime you’re willing to pick up overtime or pick up a shift that someone backed out last minute the supervisors love you, but the minute you tell them no for whatever reason they seem to forget all the times you’ve done them favors and they push you aside, favoritism definitely runs in this company.

Sick days/Vacation- Your vacation days and sick days acquire extremely slow in this company for me, compared to my first job.

Dispatch- At times they are great and give you everything and anything you need. Other times they are like monkeys. For example, when they put information into the CAD that is incorrect and you get a sent back on one of your reports it hurts you AMPS score, sure you can call CDC and tell them to remove the sent back from your record due to dispatches information being incorrect. But on 2 occasions I’ve called CDC and told them to remove incorrect sent backs and they didn’t. Which brings me to my next con.

CDC- They are the company who goes through your reports and decides wether or not it’s to there “liking” They’re like Dispatch, sometimes helpful other times like monkeys. I’ve had sent backs on a few occasions where there was nothing wrong, but they didn’t read through my narrative all the way or they missed something once again hurting my amps score.

Protocols- From what I’ve been told, Paramedic’s are extremely limited compared to other companies. Also, a new protocol recently put into effect is they are now telling me how to write MY reports by there standard which is ACHARTE. I’ve done my reports the same for almost 2 years now, and never had a problem. But they want me to follow there method which I disagree with for many reasons but manly, if I was to go to court it is my license on the line NOT there’s. If I can’t remember the call because of ACHART that’s on me, not them.

Advice to Management

Supervisors (Some not all) learn to show your backbone of the field some respect and quit treating us like we are dirt. If it wasn’t for us field medics you wouldn’t have a job, and remember you started in the same position we were in at one point. Everyone is going to make mistakes, but to lose your cool on something so little is completely irresponsible.

Management- Learn to understand your employees, and hear them out when they need something or want something. Such as changing stations, if it’s not available that is understandable, but don’t get annoyed because an employee wants to do something different.

6. "Either love it or hate it"

Current Employee - Field Paramedic
    Current Employee - Field Paramedic

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get to work with some really great people. Definitely not everyone is great, but enough to where I will really miss them when I leave. Pay for 12 hour shifts is pretty good, and the ESOP/401k is really good.

Cons

A LOT of favoritism. If you want to work 60-70 hrs a week, you'll love it and the supervisors will love you . . . until that first time you don't take an extra shift, then they suddenly forget all the favors you did for them. Being lazy, having a bad attitude, not providing good patient care, all of these are forgiven for an employee that will pick up extra shifts. Pay for 24 hr shifts is terrible.

Advice to Management

Remember that the ground operations is the branch of the company that makes the majority of your profits, and stop treating them like trash.

7. "Stable company with decent benifits"

Current Employee - Emergency Medical Dispatcher - Paramedic in Lafayette, LA
    Current Employee - Emergency Medical Dispatcher - Paramedic in Lafayette, LA

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

ESOP, Job stability, Decent Pay

Cons

Pay could be more competitive with other companies in the area. Micromanage, Micromanage, Micromanage.... Senior management at a total disconnect from operations of the company.

Advice to Management

Senior management should spend more time immersed in operations, leading from the trenches rather than from the comfort of their offices. Some have not seen the back of a unit in 35+ years, some possibly have never seen the back of a unit.

8. "Emergency Medical Techician"

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Helping others at their worst time

Cons

Working long hours keeps you away from family

9. "Manger"

I have been working at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time

Pros

Solid company, longevity knows how to build the business

Cons

Leadership and potential career growth

Advice to Management

Learn how to include your entire staff when it comes to recognition. Promote unity across departments

10. "Emt-B"

Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Beaumont, TX
    Former Employee - EMT-Basic in Beaumont, TX

I worked at Acadian Ambulance Service full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Learn all aspects of ems, consistant schedule, choice of days or nights, decent pay, CEs is given to you making recert easy. ESOP bennefits 401k AFLAC and they always have stocked supplys and spare running trucks

Cons

Bias management, if you dont bleed green, cant move up as a basic, you are just a number, just cause is just if they like you, EMT AEMT loose most of there skills, EMTs have nearly zero worth. You are nust a driver or your paramedics servant if it was up to the white shirts. they dont want you handling anything as a lower level.

Advice to Management

Just cause is more like selective favoritism good job on that one now your favorite brown noosers can beat the system and you can weed every one out the first time they fail to adhear by the system.