KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Acadian Ambulance Service Reviews

Updated Jun 9, 2021

Found 220 of over 226 reviews

3.4
Acadian Ambulance Service Chairman and CEO Richard Zuschlag (no image)
Richard Zuschlag
Pros
  • "Employee owned company and you accumulate stocks(in 11 reviews)

• "Great company and great benefits(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Billing and dispatch systems are outdated and is in desperate need of updating to the 21st century(in 19 reviews)

• "Don't allow EMTs to work to their full patient care capacity(in 14 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
    1. 5.0
      Featured Review

Good

Mar 4, 2021 - Paramedic
      Business Outlook

Pros

Professional group that is dedicated to their patients

Cons

Run tickets effect yearly raise

2. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Career Minded

Jun 2, 2021 - CCP Paramedic in San Antonio, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Career development- I for the first time ever got to sit down with a member of management and had a conversation about where I wanted to see my career go. I've been in EMS for 15 years and nobody has ever asked me about my goals. I've been at Canadian for a little over a year

Cons

busy days sometimes there isn't time to even eat from running so many calls

3. 2.0

Terrible management

May 24, 2021 - Emergency Medical Technician in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Beginner EMS experience Good stepping stone

Cons

Very shady and poor management If they don’t like you they will dig up what ever dirt they can find and use it to fire you Never expect to get off on time (I would normally get off a few hours late) If you refuse a long distance transfer right before the end of your shift they’ll threaten you with termination They watch you all day long through a camera in the cab of the truck They prioritize money over patient’s lives Transfers are more important to them than 911 calls Dispatch can overrule a supervisor Very high turn over rate ***Do not sign any contracts with them especially any sign on bonuses!!!!!*** I could go on but I’d be here all night

4. 3.0
      Current Employee

Not as great as it could be

Jun 6, 2021 - Emergency Medical Technician-A (EMT-A) in Memphis, TN
      Business Outlook

Pros

Big company Employee owned Events to work

Cons

Management Poor scheduling to work Minimal raises

5. 1.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Run fast

Jun 9, 2021 - EMT-B in Lufkin, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Decent equipment on most trucks

Cons

Dispatch rules the roost. Had a supervisor tell me I work there and my duty is to serve them before my family.

6. 3.0
      Current Employee

It's the okayest place out there.

Oct 27, 2020 - Paramedic in Houston, TX
      Business Outlook

Pros

Its a professional work environment. Unlike a lot of mom and pops EMS services you'll never have to worry for your safety. Equipment is fairly good . Most people are genuine and nice. Benefits are alright. In the Houston area Acadian does mainly transfers. We do, however, own the 911 contract with the cities of Pasadena and Webster.

Cons

The pay is not great. As an EMT-B I started making $13.11 hr, After being an EMT for 4 years I only raised up to $13.85. The yearly pay raise is up to 3% (that's only if you played nice). As a paramedic I started at $20.00. If you wok 12 hours making the above rate you're considered scheduled 10; However, if you work 24 hour shifts, your pay code changes and instead of making $13/hour as an EMT-B you now make $10/hr. For a paramedic this goes from making $20/hour down to $14/hr. You only have 40 hours of pay vacation for the first 3 years, sick time can't be used until the second day of you being sick. Our protocols are not aggressive in any way. Most people lack pride in their job and therefore trucks are always in a bad condition (dirty, disorganized, not properly stocked). In Pasadena, the fire department does not respond to any medical calls so have fun working codes on your own with a brand new EMT-B. The call volume is as high as 16 calls per 24 hr shift. The city desperately needs more units but refused to contract more.

Acadian Ambulance Service Response

We appreciate the feedback. Thanks for highlighting some of our strengths in your "pros" list - professionalism, safety, state-of-the-art equipment, etc. These are all things our employees have told us are important to you over the years. We also hear your pay concerns. We work hard to provide competitive pay rates to our 2,600 field employees. But we also understand the dynamics that are occurring right now and addressing that is a priority.

7. 4.0

Job Security is the Selling Point

Mar 24, 2021 - Business Analyst
      Business Outlook

Pros

Job Security (You have to TRY to get fired). A lot of rails so the job is straight forward and you're not going in blind. Yearly inflation salary adjustments.

Cons

Not a lot of room for creative freedom. You have to show them an offer from another employer if you plan on getting a raise. The more established employees have their ways and you won't be able to get them to change those ways.

8. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Positive changes are in motion

Jan 7, 2021 - Director
      Business Outlook

Pros

Employee-owned company with a leadership team that is committed to listening to employee feedback and improving the employee experience. Leading the way in next gen EMS and mobile health innovation. Focus on high quality care currently utilizing online physician medical direction to treat low acuity patients in their homes reducing unnecessary patient transports and hospital wall time. Medics spend more time providing the right care for patients. Stability, high quality patient care, employee focused, growth, and innovation

Cons

EMS is a hardworking industry. Those who pursue a career in EMS will learn a lot about themselves and in a short period of time. They will experience a growth in grit and resilience, develop time management and communication skills, and hopefully find a long term fulfilling career in healthcare. Or they will find that healthcare culture and patient care is not for them, learn from their experiences, and find a different career path.

9. 4.0
      Former Employee

Fun Company

Apr 25, 2021 - EMT-Basic
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very interesting learning experience. Supervisors make you feel like family.

Cons

Lots of patient transfers due to being a private company rather than municipal.

10. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Strong, Stable Organization

Mar 22, 2021 - Critical Care Paramedic in New Orleans, LA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Competitive pay with some of the highest hourly wages for the position. Annual increases in wages each year based on performance, and historically company wide raises every few years. 401k available, and Employee Stock Ownership Program with great retirement benefits. Available in Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, and Tennessee.

Cons

Very large coverage area with mostly rural EMS calls. Interfacility transport and Primary 9-1-1 services in most service areas.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 220 Reviews