KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Contractor

Good company

Aug 6, 2021 - Anonymous Contractor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good company, fair pay, very respectful and understanding with project assignments.

Cons

Job assignments are not always available for contractors.

2. 4.0
    Current Freelancer, more than 1 year

Considerate staff yet may not be a place for more than occasional income

May 11, 2021 - Science Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The staff negotiated a bit with me prior to my hire regarding (1) my salary and (2) what work I would accept. I didn't expect that; it showed that they value their freelancers' concerns. Even after ~20 assignments, to my knowledge I've never received critical feedback on my work from the senior editors. Presumably this indicates they're happy with my work. They've given me plenty of time -- e.g., 1 week -- to complete each editing assignment; they clearly understand and appreciate that freelancers may have other commitments.

Cons

My workload is typically 1 or 2 assignments per month, which is so low I wonder why they keep me on. I haven't inquired further on this point because the net per-hour pay seems rather low for US-based work, even though I'm an unusually fast editor / writer.

3. 3.0
    Former Contractor, less than 1 year

Enjoyable, But Very Few Projects Assigned

May 2, 2021 - Academic Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

The work was enjoyable for the language editing project I was assigned. Accdon's preferred editing approach was streamlined and easy to follow.

Cons

I only received one project from Accdon... so I would not expect to rely on this income source!

4. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Good company to work for.

Sep 2, 2020 - Freelance Scientific Editor in Waltham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay is pretty good, far better than some other companies I edited for. And, there is actually a human that you can communicate with. Other companies don't have anyone that you can actually talk to, so that becomes a very impersonal relationship. I found the Accdon people to be friendly and helpful.

Cons

There is relatively little feedback to the editors about what they are doing right or wrong.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Excellent Work If You Love Reading, Editing, and Providing Scientific Commentary/Consultation

Sep 8, 2019 - Scientific Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Learn hot-of-the-press findings from some exciting new studies from around the world; hone your writing craft in the form of writing scientific commentaries/evaluations and journal recommendations; work from anywhere in the world, from home, coffee shops, or anywhere your heart desires; choose the volume and type of projects that you'd like per week; the managing editors are well friendly, responsive, and are native English speakers (which is not the case for many other editing companies)

Cons

Some of the manuscripts that you will have to edit are not well-done studies, lack novel findings, and/or are poorly written to the point that editing/evaluating can be incredibly cumbersome; you will only get a steady volume of projects once you have established yourself as an excellent editor; it can be difficult to control the precise volume and timing of jobs that you receive per week, which is the nature of the industry; the pay is decent but still fairly modest if you have a Ph.D. and postdoctoral training; this kind of position is not scalable and does not offer much room for advancement, but it is a great option if you no longer want to be in a laboratory focused myopically on one topic and instead want to be exposed to a breadth of research areas

2 people found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Former Contractor

Nice but limited work

Aug 2, 2020 - Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

Enjoyable work that lets you provide a variety of editorial help to prospective scientific journal articles

Cons

Supply of articles is inconsistent and fairly slow.

7. 3.0
    Former Contractor, more than 1 year

Workload

Aug 21, 2020 - Translator in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Case by case. Translators have the option to accept or decline a translation case.

Cons

Translators are not well-paid. But the good thing is that you can negotiate your rates with HR.

8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Relatively good for experienced freelance editors

Jan 21, 2018 - Freelance Editor
    Business Outlook

Pros

I agree with the other reviewers regarding the benefits of working at Accdon. The pay is better than at other companies, provided you have already established yourself as a reasonably accomplished ESL editor. Otherwise, the pay is merely comparable. The greatest benefit to working at Accdon is that they actually pay on time (i.e., within 10 days of the close of the month). I am not aware of another company that does this. For example, Edanz presently pays their freelance personnel more than 2 months after the close of the month. In addition, the work volume is reasonably stable, and the managing editors are generally flexible regarding deadlines, and will extend deadlines if necessary. However, I am certain that these last benefits are generally reserved for the more highly valued editors, and entry level editors cannot expect this treatment. I would like to cite some additional benefits to working as a freelance editor for Accdon, and to working as a freelance editor in general. Accdon is a U.S. company, and therefore has a work culture more in keeping with what U.S. citizens are familiar with. Although this factor cannot be indiscriminately applied across all U.S. editing companies, it should not be underestimated when selecting an editing company to work with. For example, it is noted that the work culture in India decidedly differs from that in the U.S., so working for an Indian company like Cactus or Crimson is fraught with cultural dissonances that can be quite jarring to U.S. citizens (numerous examples of this can be found in the many reviews for these companies on this site). Finally, one of the benefits of freelance editing is that it allows one to offset the substandard pay of a freelance editor (see my list of cons below) by living in areas where the cost of living is low (particularly, the cost of housing). This is a very substantial benefit for those willing or able to take advantage of it. As far as non-boutique ESL editing companies go (see my list of cons below), Accdon is probably the best. I would strongly encourage experienced, committed editors with high personal standards who presently work for other language editing companies to seek employment at Accdon.

Cons

Most of the disadvantages of working at Accdon are a function of the ESL editing industry as a whole, which can be stated as follows. (1) The industry is dominated by large companies based in India (i.e., Cactus and Crimson). These companies have set the prices of ESL editing services to a very low level by paying freelance editing personnel abysmally low rates. In addition, these companies also promise ridiculously short turnaround times to their clients. The resulting poor work product of such low paid and highly stressed freelance editors is then compensated by having even lower paid and more highly stressed in-house native Indian editors review and improve the work. This, incidentally, is why Cactus and Crimson, for example, can provide regular feedback to their freelance editors, and engage in somewhat elaborate rating practices. In contrast, Accdon is generally ill suited to providing a reasonable degree of feedback to their freelance editors because the company employs too few managing editors that are simply too busy to provide regular feedback. As such, I would not consider Accdon to be a good candidate company for freelance editors seeking to establish themselves in the industry. Honestly, the Indian companies are better for this purpose, regardless of all the drawbacks to actually working for one of these companies. An entry level freelance editor will get more work and more feedback from an Indian company than they will from Accdon. This will provide good experience (albeit somewhat harsh experience) over a relatively short period. (2) The majority of ESL clientele cannot distinguish between good writing and bad writing. This is what presently supports the domination of cut-rate editing companies. Uncritical clientele are drawn to the low rates and rapid turnaround offered, which then ensures that these companies achieve a high proportion of the globally available work. This, in turn, ensures that these companies also obtain a high proportion of the globally available freelance workforce. As such, the cycle is self-supporting on both ends. Clearly, all editing companies must compete under these circumstances, and most editing companies are accordingly very poor places for a college graduate to attempt to earn a living. The pay for freelance editors is substandard relative to the level of education and experience required, regardless of the company (including Accdon). The volume and quality of work are not uniform (including the work provided by Accdon). The work will at times be scarce, and an editor will have to occasionally edit very poorly written papers at a very low hourly rate of pay (e.g., less than the U.S. minimum wage, depending on where one lives). Freelance editors will occasionally be called upon to work long hours and weekends, at the usual substandard rate of pay. This, unfortunately, is the present state of the industry. As such, one should avoid seeking a career as a freelance editor for any company unless the work itself is strongly appealing.

5 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee

Editor

Mar 26, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a great scholarly editing / author services company because it sets a higher standard in terms of quality of work (manuscript editing, translation, proofreading etc). The in-house staff is US based, knowledgeable, and more mindful of the demands placed on contract editors than other editing companies. There are opportunities to grow and take on more responsibility. The culture is focused on helping international researchers get their work published.

Cons

Like other editing / author services company, some turnaround times are fast. The workload volume can increase suddenly, but the in-house staff is accommodating.

2 people found this review helpful
  10. 4.0
    Current Contractor, more than 1 year

Contract Editor

May 18, 2017 - Contract Editor in Waltham, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Pay is higher than at other editing companies; Accdon also pays their contract editors on time each month rather than having contract editors wait for months to be paid; the in-house staff is also more forgiving about deadlines given life circumstances (other companies automatically deduct pay when a deadline is missed). The project volume is steady if you're a good editor.

Cons

I agree that more editing feedback would be nice as well as more resources for editors.

3 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews

Accdon Reviews FAQs

81% of Accdon employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Accdon 3.7 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Accdon to be coworkers, culture, benefits and the cons to be career development .

Popular Careers with Accdon Job Seekers