Accellion Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Accellion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good life/work balance
    Projects reach a wide audience

Cons

Not much room for opportunity
    Very "clicky" culture
    No way to gauge health of current standing with management
    Senior management are out to lunch

"Covfefe"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Accellion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Close to the bar at the golf course, to drown your sorrows when realizing you still work here. Don't let the Palo Alto address fool you, this is basically EPA.

Cons

Their senior management makes the Trump administration look like a well oiled machine. No structure, no saneness, top down management at it's best. A start up mentally that thinks they are still fresh and relevant.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and hire better people. Maybe it's too late. Copy what Box and Dropbox seem to be doing. They are killing it!

"Twilight zone"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Representative

I worked at Accellion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can pretty much do whatever you want until they do another mass lay off.

If you are okay with just your base salary and never making any real money then this is the place for you!

Cons

No money to be made.

Product has major issues.

We didn't come close to our competition. Although our product was good before the change our competition was killing us because they actually knew how to market the product.

Horrible HORRIBLE management. Never leading by example. Never ever picking up the phone. I've never heard a manager sell or speak to a customer and I was there for a while.

Advice to Management

Same as all the other reviews but it never happens. There was a huge lay off yet again but same managers were left behind, so guess what that means? NOTHING WILL CHANGE! DUHHHHH!

The craziest thing is when they let you go and your asked to write a good review about your time here. WHO DOES THAT? #ACCELLION

"Too little too late"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Accellion (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent product, great people, great location!

Cons

Too little too late, too stressful, employee morale is in the toilet.

Advice to Management

Sell.

"Not so good except for the flexible schedule"

Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Product Manager in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Accellion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The only good thing I can say about Accellion is the flexible schedule and the fact that we were able to work from home one day a week on average. Sorry but I cannot think of any other good thing!

Cons

Not much room to grow and add work experience. Team work had no meaning in this place and managers were playing favorites all the time. Forget about strategic planning and execution. No wonder this place has such high turn over rate for years. Stay away!

Advice to Management

Wake up and change the way you run the business before it too late.

6. "Exciting Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I have been working at Accellion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The company is filled with exciting opportunities for people willing to go beyond their defined job scope. Recent changes in leadership are a positive sign for the company going forward.

Ping pong table and a beautiful location with gardens, fountains, geese and the bay scenery.

Cons

Food can be better. Friday lunches are good, but the pantry is usually filled with junk food otherwise.

People need to be more enthusiastic and passionate.

"Great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Accellion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, fun to work with engineering team. People are nice and aways ready to help you or answer your questions.

Cons

Never in time with release schedule due to over-promising to higher management and customers.

Advice to Management

Less unnecessary features, more quality code.

8. "Great team, great products!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Accellion (More than a year)

Pros

I was treated like an adult and given room to do my job. Lots of very bright people.

Cons

Traffic during peak hours is awful. Luckily, my schedule was flexible.

Advice to Management

Play to strengths. Don't reinvent wheel.

"Good place to work"

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Palo Alto, CA

Pros

Sane working hours, competent management, good employees, surprisingly high retention rate. It's a great place to work, and I really enjoyed my time here.

Cons

I have some concerns over some technological and product management decisions that the company has made

Advice to Management

Focus more on improving what's already there instead of a constant stream of new features

"Great Culture, Amazing People, and Wonderful Experience!"

Former Employee - Platform Solutions Architect in Palo Alto, CA
    Former Employee - Platform Solutions Architect in Palo Alto, CA

I worked at Accellion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The location is pretty convenient. There are a few eateries in walking distance, the campus itself has a cafe, and it is a short drive from California Ave., which has a lot of food options.

On top of that, the office is next to a car dealership, and every Wednesday, there are a couple of food trucks in the car dealership’s parking lot. While the food trucks are a bit pricey, it makes for a nice office tradition. There is also free lunch on Fridays.

The office is also close to a few trails, which makes stepping out of the office to take a quick jog, walk, bike ride, or just a breath of fresh air pretty easy.

The office breakrooms have a well-stocked selection of free snacks, soda, coffee, candy, etc.

The main office area is filled with cubicles, but it isn’t the “cube farm” that you notoriously hear about. The cubicles have low walls, so collaboration and socializing is pretty easy, while the division still maintains a sense of personal space.

The work-from-home policy is pretty flexible. As long as you’re getting your work done, management is pretty lenient when it comes to office presence.

Additionally, management is pretty approachable at all levels. I have never felt intimidated or too insignificant to speak to anyone, from the managers, to the VP-level staff, all the way up to the CEO.

Perhaps the biggest pro is that working here is a lot of fun. The people here are incredible, and while everyone works really hard to get the job done, they are all also down to have a good time!

It is also an environment that is very welcoming to new employees. I found myself fitting in pretty well in the first week. Everyone was open, receptive, and eager to help.

From birthday celebrations, to an annual ping pong tournament, to monthly happy hours, to participation in Silicon Valley Sports League, to everyday clowning around in the office, there are always opportunities to have fun.

I sincerely view the people at Accellion as more of a family than a set of colleagues, which defines a culture that most Bay Area startups try to have, pretend to have, and say they have, but very rarely do you find a place that actually has it.

Cons

Accellion is a small private company whose product competes with some big players in the game. While kiteworks (Accellion's flagship product) is unique in its own right and targets a specific segment of the market, it often is in head-to-head battles with solutions that are offered by larger and more mature organizations.

Because of this, there are a lot of challenges. Accellion is certainly not the type of place you can go and cruise by. Hard work, dedication, and lots and lots of hours have to be put in to keep everything running. From sales, to marketing, to engineering, to product management, there are tremendous obstacles, which can seem miserable at times.

While it is a bumpy ride though, it is also a fun one.

Advice to Management

Let the product direction be guided more by the vision of the members of the product team than customer/prospect promises. You've got a really bright team, use it!

Also, keep the family culture going! Sacrifice anything else before losing this. It's what makes Accellion, Accellion.