Accenture Reviews in Chicago, IL | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be an after thought even though it's talked as top of mind (in 2590 reviews)

• Long working hours but that was to be expected from a consulting firm (in 1285 reviews)

"Business Strategy Manager"

Current Employee - Business Strategy Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Strategy Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Interesting client work with exposure to high level executives, great people throughout the firm, a lot of training opportunities both on the job and in the classroom

Cons

Work life balance can be an after thought even though it's talked as top of mind. Projects aren't scoped accurately thus you are expected to be on call 24/7.

2. "Digital Developer Consultant"

Current Employee - Developer Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Developer Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to grow and learn within the company especially for just starting out of college. Comes with a great benefit package. Yearly promotion assessments are transparent and you can get plenty of feedback if paired with a good career adviser. You get to consult for a lot of high profile companies.

Cons

If a project requires 100% travel, depending on the client location this can get very stressful over time. While on the bench (waiting for a new project) if you don't have good connections or experience it can take a while to find another project and this can impact your yearly review.

3. "Good environment if you're self-motivated"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Commitment to quality work and high standards. Experts in all technologies available to consult.

Cons

You're on your own for networking and finding your next role. If you're good at that sort of thing, that may be a plus.

5. "Great company, some redtape"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment and people to work with. The culture of the company is very positive. They provide some very good benefits and support equal opportunity for everyone. They are a very progressive company. The team dynamics may be different from group to group, but the team I was a part of, I felt it was fantastic.

Cons

The growth opportunities are there, but sometimes can get lost due to size. Sometimes harder to switch career tracks or what you may want to do, since you would need to remain billable.

Advice to Management

Provide some more clear path to promotions/levels. It's a bit difficult to navigate through what is needed to move to the next level

6. "Building Android applications"

Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Team Lead in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

You get lot of opportunities to work on different challenging projects for clients

Cons

You will be not paid well...Lot of internal politics which don't allow you to grow

Advice to Management

Just allow people to work and enable their growth only from the work they do...Remove all the project managers who are in excess number

"Digital v. Cash Cow"

Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Director in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Leading edge IP and innovation

Cons

You are either on the digital path or they are milking you as a cash cow and will let you go when the milk dries up

Advice to Management

Reward the cow, too.

"Proud to work here, expanding my knowledge; would love to see people managers / leadership advocate more for their teams"

Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Marketing Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Option to work virtually or in the office
    - Work we do for clients is interesting and often on the forefront of technology
    - Every project is different, so I continue to expand my knowledge and acquire new skills
    - Competitive salaries, though not much transparency into the logic behind raises and bonuses
    - Great resume credential
    - Smart people and many client account leads are genuinely appreciative of your efforts

Cons

- Internal systems / tools are antiquated - hence many processes are manual / broken / prone to error
    - Your boss is your "career counselor" - yet very few truly want to / know how to counsel on your career
    - Before you can apply for a new role you must get their permission - if they were truly counseling they'd already be advocating for you
    - Very few women in senior leadership roles are mothers (I've been told not to mention child activities as reason for taking an afternoon off -- not sure that would have been said if I was a father)
    - There isn't much advocacy for women by women

Advice to Management

- Let's lead in the new internally too; we should be eating our own dog food and investing in sophisticated tools for our internal corporate functions teams; way too many processes that should be seamless are manual, time consuming and require too much dependency on multiple groups, outdated excel forms, and external resources
    - Hold leadership more accountable for career counseling or let's stop calling them career counselors
    - Be transparent about raise and bonus ranges and what they are tied to. Our OG had a stellar year yet most people got the lowest increase in years

9. "Technology Manager"

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Technology Consulting Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Just great company to work for.

Cons

Travel can be tough on work life balance.

10. "Associate Manager IT"

Former Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Associate Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great experience, lots of skills to build and when you're under great leadership, you'll have the best learnings and get the most needed work appreciation. Diverse culture and lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Some of my colleagues are not skilled to do their work. Favoritism and politics are everywhere as well. Salary is not that competitive too.

Advice to Management

Don't just base promotion from tenure.

11. "Great Company, Lots of Opportunities"

Current Employee - Business Strategy Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Business Strategy Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of very smart people, doing some amazing things.

Cons

Easy to get lost if you don't find your fit / place in the company quickly.

Showing 676 of 25,497 reviews