Accenture Reviews | Glassdoor

Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme

1,111 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be an after thought even though it's talked as top of mind (in 2590 reviews)

• Long working hours but that was to be expected from a consulting firm (in 1285 reviews)

"Run while you still have legs"

Current Employee - IT Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - IT Manager in Chicago, IL

Pros

International exposure, relatively young environment

Cons

management, politics, horrible salary, limited benefits

Advice to Management

learn how to manage- better yet, learn how to lead.

"Out of college = "hell yes," Experienced hire = "hell no""

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

You want to go into consulting out of college and work your way up in one firm. This is a great place to do that. If you're smart, and work here for the first 8 years of your career, you will do very well. Period.

Far and away superior training to the other mainline consulting firms (excluding all the strategy firms, I'm just talking about the traditional systems integrators). The general training at each level is now probably the best in the business, and the specialist stuff is excellent. Meanwhile, on the job learning is excellent as Accenture has a very strong team-oriented culture, and people will go out of their way to help each other out/teach.

Culture is (in my opinion) great. It's a bit abrasive (people can be mean), and it is known to be arrogant since the Anderson Consulting days, but some mellowing has occurred in the last few years. Lots of funny and interesting people. Lots of irreverence.

The brand is another excellent reason to work here. In just 7 or so years since coming up with the name, it is (I believe) the most recognized name in professional services. They've done an amazing job. From every billboard you see at the airport, to most every deliverable you bring to a client, the brand is positively reinforced. (Funny note though, most Senior Executives just hate the Tiger Woods stuff... go figure).

Good clients. All in all, Accenture clients have something going for them, or they wouldn't be able to afford the rates. Lots of name brand clients means your market value is shooting up every 6 months.

Good networking. Accenture people are good at referring opportunities to their co-workers. People tend to look out for each other more passionately than I've observed at the other firms. This goes to the "us vs. them" mentality that most Accenture hires have that join out of college.

Cons

You simply cannot be an experienced hire and expect to do well at Accenture. That's not to say it doesn't happen, but look deeply at the numbers... between 50-75% of their experienced hires quit within 12 months (I received that number from a high-level Senior Executive). The firm has always had this problem, but even with the desperate need to hire at all levels from outside, this probably is not going away at all. You're way better off at one of the other firms if you have more than a few years of work experience. Less ramp up, far more respect right away.

Performance reviews are actually overly critical. If you're writing one, you almost feel a pressure to be a little negative. I only comment on this in relation to having worked in other big consulting firms, where I realized the Accenture harshness on these things isn't all that necessary. I'm not sure much value is added sometimes on these things, and I can't count how many times I've heard of someone quitting because of a negative (unnecessarily so) review. Happens all the time.

Advice to Management

I already participated in a detailed Experienced Hire study, I'll leave it at that for specifics. Suffice to say, my advice would be that each Senior Executive needs to look at his/her business, and study the labor model. If the firm's business model requires adding headcount/billable hours to fuel growth (this is obvious I suppose), then Accenture will need to be a 400,000 person consulting firm in the next 5 years to keep Wall Street happy. Ouch. Translated to each SE's business, how do you grow your own headcount at these crazy rates? Each SE will need to take personal accountability to decrease their attrition rates, and Senior Management should begin compensating on this metric immediately. This firm could have real problems with the street in a few years. Lots of Senior Executives are talking about this internally.

"Stay away from the AT&T/BellSouth account"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hoover, AL
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Hoover, AL

Pros

Some say it was only the AT&T/BellSouth account that was like a sweatshop and there were better opportunities elsewhere. However, having seen a dozen different Execs take over the account that didn't manage any differently, I can only think all of upper management is incompetent.

Cons

Salaries and bonuses whose combined total didn't keep up with inflation, even after receiving the highest employee rating. No promotions. The level B's and above were getting bonuses from Global and raking in the cash but level C's and below didn't. No way did level C's and below feel a part of the company.

Advice to Management

Include everyone in the Global bonus.

"Accenture(ATS)"

Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Bloomington, IL
    Former Employee - Senior Programmer in Bloomington, IL

Pros

Decent benifit package. Accenture is ok if you are just breaking into the workforce.

Cons

Poor feedback on performance. Always told performing at 3-4 levels beyond my level. When time comes for compensation and promotions, given to others who had less responsibilty but not the higher performers. It didn't matter the level of work turned in it was a popularity contest. Rub shoulders with the managers and you would be lattered higher than those that outperformed you but did not hang out.

Advice to Management

Re-evaluate the laddering. Get career coaches that want to help other succeed. Not ones who are only out for themselves

"Great Benefits... Bad experiences"

Former Employee - Web Developer in Arlington, VA
    Former Employee - Web Developer in Arlington, VA

Pros

The company has great benefits....

Cons

Accenture wants their employees to put in a tremendous amount of overtime... However you will not be compensated very well or recognized for your hard work. In addition, the "work/life" balance that they promise you is a joke. I am a morning person, and prefer to get in at 8:00 AM or 9:00 AM (if possible I would come in at 7:00 AM); however, my direct supervisor arrived at 10:00 AM or later... and actually had the nerve to complain because I was coming in "too early" (8:30 AM)! To make matters worse there was a time where I really was sick and had to make an appointment to go to the doctor the same day. Instead of saying "I hope you get better," or "hopefully everything is ok," my supervisor said "will you be coming back to work" and called me (while I was still at the doctor to say "so when are you coming back." My doctor said that I would not be able to return to work for a couple of days, and she was actually upset!

Advice to Management

They need to really evaluate who they decide to promote into management roles. Especially at the SBA office.

"Think Carefully"

Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

If you're fresh out of college and don't have a lot of other options, may be a good place to work, and then get a better job. Junior people (particularly in strategy) got paid significantly more at other companies than Accenture and/or received admission to good business schools.

Cons

Low compensation, uninteresting work, mixed caliber of senior people (eg I thought people I worked with were not very talented or intelligent)

Advice to Management

You probably shouldn't try to hire A players except for extremely junior people in the Bay Area. People who are good will leave, because they can earn significantly more elsewhere and work with more talented peope. This advice may not apply to other cities.

"Horrible supervisor ruined my experience at Accenture."

Former Employee - Management Consulting Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Analyst in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Name recognition. The quality of employees is fairly high, mostly intelligent people. Some decent perks like dinners and lunches paid for by the company.

Cons

Terrible promotion process. The performance rating system is completely subjective. There is little visibility on how people are reviewed. You have a few people who either make or break your career. You may end up having a ridiculously unintelligent and incompetent supervisor who will destroy your chances for promotion, and there is little visibility on how he or she rates you. The rating system is completely determined by peoples subjective view of you, rather than your actual performance. If you find a manager or career counselor here then stay, otherwise you are set for a mediocre career at Accenture at best

Advice to Management

Senior Management needs to gain better insight on how their employees are enjoying their experiences at Accenture. They need to revamp the performance and review process as it is not evaluating employees on the correct metrics.

"A huge organization - a place to get lost in."

Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Accenture is a prestigious place to work, and adds much to your CV, especially if you are just starting out with your career. You are given a lot of autonomy as a senior manager, no one looks over your shoulders. They also have a great team of IT support for a consultant, you are never left to struggle with your IT needs.

Cons

It is a competitive dog-eat-dog world. I started brand new as a senior manager, and received zero guidance and support, from peers or partners. Accenture's org structure is such that you do not actually have a manager. You have a mentor, who you do not report to, but is supposed to reach out to you and help you. Mine didn't, he was missing in action the whole time. I never heard from him except maybe once in 6 months. You cannot rely on fellow senior managers, as they are competing to become partner before you do. It is not a nice environment to work in, as a new hire.

Advice to Management

If you bother to bring in someone senior to the company, be sure you set them up for success, and not let them shrivel up on the vine.

"Accenture Review"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Good interim stepping stone to another firm firm

Cons

Cut-throat competitive working environment; incompetent managers

Advice to Management

Improve management transparencies

"Desperately Seeking a Real HR Function in Accenture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Pros

Wide exposure to a lot of different things with a lot of learning opportunities. Most of the time you will be have to learn on your own with little guidance. However, if you are sharp enough to, you can usually gut through it. In the end, if you can stick it out for a few years, you will walk away much more strong than when you got there, and hopefully be able to leverage the experience in another job. The pay is decent, however, there is definitely a cost to pay for it in terms of lifestyle. In the end, there are some great people here, but they are far and few between.

Cons

The HR function is absolutely the most horrific I have ever seen, and the work life balance during consulting is non existent. They are attempting to offshore a lot of work now, so limited opportunities to none for the onshore management staff. There are some long timers here, but they all feel a culture of entitlement. Most of them could not do half the work that they are criticizing you for. Finally, the benefit package is horrible for healthcare. They are in a coinsurance ploy. Take the lumps and learn all that you can, and then get out.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people without filters. Dont just say you will listen, but hear it too.

Showing 1,111 of 25,422 reviews