Accenture Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

26,248 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be an after thought even though it's talked as top of mind (in 2696 reviews)

• Long working hours but that was to be expected from a consulting firm (in 1354 reviews)

1. "Still a great place to start and build your career."

Current Employee - Partner in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Partner in New York, NY

Pros

It's all about the people. The best people on the planet. Smart, energetic, collaborative, honest, service-oriented, diligent, etc. If you're assigned to a tough project you can be confident that the team will pull together to get the job done. If you're selling work, you can be confident the work will get done well. Great friendships are formed at Accenture.

Cons

Career advancement comes slowly. You'll get the increased responsibility long before you get the title and the compensation. It's a "pay your dues" model. Comp for senior people is definitely there and worth striving for. Even if you don't make it to the brass ring, you build great skills and amazing network along the way that will pay big dividends later in life.

Advice to Management

We've made a major shift away from client service and toward capability platforms. Some of this is good and appropriate and will serve us well. But, we need to make sure the pendulum hasn't swung too far in that direction. We need to maintain focus and resources on building deep client relationships and unparalleled understanding of their business issues. That is the gateway to selling and then delivering on our "high performance" promises.

"Excellent Opportunity."

Current Employee - Consultant
    Current Employee - Consultant

Pros

The best reasons are for the Experience, Network, and Professional Development opportunities.

Cons

Travel can impact one's ability to balance life at home with family and friends. Compensation, while moving towards more competitive, still can lack behind similar industry work.

Advice to Management

These folks are smart and have run a successful Fortune 500 business for several years... generally mastering the art of managing Wall-Street expectations and our core business.

3. "Accenture is a great place to work which I would absolutely reccomend to my friends"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Accenture is a very highly respected company in the field (ranking #1 in many categories.). Accenture provides very interestign work. Employees have a very high degree of visibility to functions within other companies and to the senior leadership in other companies. Accenture offers an extremely large amount of responsibility even for new joiners (I am 27 years old and I have presented to almost 10 C-level (CEO, CIO, COO) clients.)

Cons

Travel, seemingly low pay compared to other firms (?)

Advice to Management

Pay more

4. ""Work Hard, Play Hard" - even as a mom!"

Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

The best reason to work for Accenture is the people and diverse experience - hands down! The knowledge capital is truly amazing. It wasn't until I stopped working for Accenture that realized how much of this had actually rubbed off on me. My abilities far surpass many of my peers and I believe it is due to the many diverse opportunities afforded to me through Accenture. I was exposed to many different company cultures as well as social cultures, all the while delivering value to the client.

Additionally, Accenture was great when it came time to have children. I made it through two children and didn't feel like I had to sacrifice my career goals to also feel fulfilled in keeping my commitments as a devoted parent. All of my staffing opportunities took into account the extra needs I had as a mother. To some, it may seem like I was given preferential treatment, but I was always secure that I knew I was giving it my all and that management recognized the balance I was able to achieve and value I delivered!

Cons

All of my good comments above have only one downside ... burn out. After two children, I needed to be able to make even more of a commitment to my children and the long hours just didn't work anymore. Even with the burnout, I have very fond memories of my "work hard, play hard" lifestyle with Accenture.

Advice to Management

Keep it up! Your model works and "alumni" is thankful for the many opportunities open to us with Accenture on our resume.

5. "good company"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Denver, CO

Pros

The people at Accenture can't be beat. Accenture has a very good reputation.

Cons

Since my role is in consulting, travel is extensive.

Advice to Management

Keep communicating, keep offering people opportunities to advance

6. "Good work if you manage your career."

Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Dallas, TX

Pros

Can find interesting projects if you build your network. Good raises at promotion years. The PEOPLE. You will work with some pretty cool people.

Cons

Travel, salary is lower than pure strategy consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Start a comprehensive MBA leave/funding program for high performers.

"A great launching pad for your career rocket!"

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Opportunities to progress one's career are endless at Accenture! I continue to be excited for wherever my career progresses as their are countless roads one can take and find success. Also, the people are great. ACN only hires the best of the best out there leaving the rest for IBM and Deloitte to employ (please! I'm only joking... kind of). Everyday I am able to learn something new from the incredible people I work with. Third, you have the opportunity to travel if you like, or the option not to travel if you prefer. ACN is very cognizant of yur wants in a career and work hard to respect that.

Cons

ACN is a highly competitive place to work. You compete against everybody at your promotion level, everybody at your client, everybody in you business unit, and ultimately every single on eof the 180,000 employees hired at Accenture. This can be difficult for many people to deal with. A word to the wise: Don't be afraid to grow some thick skin at ACN. Doing so will make you a better employee and you will be more respected the tougher your skin gets. What I mean is, don't be offended by feedback. Question it and get clarification and then apply it, but do not be a roll-over. It's hard to respect somebody who thinks they do a bad job.

Advice to Management

Increased recognition is a must. Accenture hires the best of the best, and although most of us know when we do an exceptionally good job on something, there is nothing that can take the place of recognition.

8. "I've heard Bill speak at community meetings and he really identifies with our people and is a great role model."

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great opportunities..we work with some of the best clients and interesting work, but the best reason is the people we work with. We get the best people from university and I work with teams at client site and in our offshore centers and the talent is great across the board. I learn from my colleagues than I ever thought I would.

Cons

Hard work. Clients pay a lot for us and demand over-delivery. I have to work overtime just to get the job done...but I'm paid pretty good for it, so think it's worth it.

Advice to Management

We really need to figure out how to better reward the highest performers so they grow here.

9. "Accenture REALLY is a great place to work"

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in New York, NY

Pros

Accenture is a world class company in my opinion. There is no company I can think of (even the other large consulting firms) where I would be provided a diverse a range of opportunities (industry, technology, process, strategy, etc), and know that I represent a company who ranks at the very top of service in each of these areas. The network is amazing. Even the people you rarely interact with are available to provide assistance in their respective SME areas, and assist in making both you and the company successful as we position ourselves to design and implement world class solutions of all sorts. Whether you are looking for a long term career or somewhere to grow your toolset and be exposed to a number of different business experiences quickly, Accenture is a great place to work. I plan on staying here for the foreseeable future, and have worked hard to assist my friends in joining a company I think takes very good care of its top tier of performers. Sky is the limit. It will obviously require some hard work, and dedication; however, if you are willing to give it your all Accenture really will provide great rewards (all around) in return.

Cons

The only real downsides I see with the company as a whole relative to other consulting firms are its size, and occasional bureaucracy. You need to be willing to navigate many elements of your own career. While Accenture gives you all the tools you need to solicit support (e.g., career counselors, mentors, training, etc), your counselor and mentors all have multiple people they support and a full time job as a consultant; therefore, while they will be willing to help - you need to be able to communicate your needs, and be ready to implement their advice individually. The size can be overwhelming at times, and add the complexity it getting certain things accomplished; however, it is this same size that provides many of the great strategic advantages we bring to the table, and are rewarded by individual in terms of our network, etc. Salaries are sometimes slightly less than competitors; however, I think we have been working to close that gap, and the added experiential benefits (from my perspective) far outweigh the opportunity for a few thousand extra dollars in salary.

Advice to Management

My only advice is to continue working to find meaningful ways to reward our top (and consistent) performers. In order to continue our strong growth and performance we need to ensure our ability to attract and retain the best people.

10. "A phenomenal employer and great payoff if you're willing to earn it."

Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Great all around compensation and benefits/perks. Solid company with a good and stable track record. You cannot be bored unless you work hard at it. The employee review process is the best I have experienced. If you spend any time with the organization and advance to management (as did I) you are over prepared for life in other companies when/if you leave and you will excel.

Cons

Long hours are to be expected and you still must earn your chops to advance. This is less of a downside than a "hello, this is how the world works". This may be a throwback to the way things used to be without instant gratification. It can take years of hard work to get recognized as you establish your reputation and track record. This is a downside if you're impatient or a new hire.

Advice to Management

Learn to embrace the company's published doctrine on work/life balance. Anything over 50 hours a week is worthless labor. As a Senior Manager I understand pushing yourself, but dragging along your managers and consultants for the ride on your ambition is futile. Give them a break, it will pay off later.

Showing 26,248 of 27,151 reviews