Accenture Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 28, 2017
1,956 reviews

1,956 Employee Reviews

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be an after thought even though it's talked as top of mind (in 2628 reviews)

• Long working hours but that was to be expected from a consulting firm (in 1318 reviews)

1. "Senior System Specialist"

Former Employee - Senior Systems Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Accenture (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and respect for experience

Cons

Slow in replacing staff lead to stress

Advice to Management

Do not rely so heavily on off shore for staff

"Accenture Federal Services"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Accenture's corporate office has a very inviting and open culture. No cubicles and people there are very friendly and are easy to talk to.

Cons

Accenture Federal Services (AFS) is very different from Accenture LLP. No training structure after orientation which makes it incredibly hard, especially for entry level analysts to understand the work and how to do it. Management is too busy to help you get started, career advancement is very difficult. You are paid less than everyone in the commercial side. AFS is promoted as if it structured the same as Accenture LLP, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Note: Most new analysts are not assigned to a project once they are hired and have to apply for a project assignment. It is as if you are applying for a job, within a job.

Advice to Management

Create a training structure that will help new analysts understand the work and how to do it, as well as their specific duties. Become more available for educating new analysts on how the work should be fulfilled and completed.

3. "Behind The Times, But Still Hopeful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1) Benefits are good
    2) They try to be in the forefront of technology, BPO, and strategy
    3) Still recognized in the business as a leader in management consulting

Cons

1) Very behind in technology offerings and just relabel offerings with new terms
    2) There transformation is really just masking the clients old tech and processes. This means more cumbersome processes and tech
    3) Success is built on long drawn out contracts that can be done faster by other services agencies. The BPO isn't even aware of BPM and workflow technologies and continue to do the same.
    4) Transformation message is just buzzwords with no real background or expertise in the actual transformation by most of the leadership.
    5) Most senior managers and above do not know how to train or mentor anyone. Telling people to take notes, file documents in sharepoint and order their lunches and handle the mundane administration processes is not management, mentoring or training people for their next level. Assistants can do that. The most talent is in tech consulting, cloud and digital strategy and a few other areas. But most still lack in mentoring and management.
    6) The phrase is "we expect people to learn quickly and figure it out" is code for "we faked our way through and we never did it and I really cannot help you because I don't know". Most have not done any of the work and latched on to someone else's opportunity and made their way to senior positions.

Advice to Management

1) Be up front about technical career opportunities and recognize that many of the delivery roles only require mediocre project and program management skills. Don't over hire as people will get bored.
    2) MD's should stop doing sr. manager and below work in order to remain chargeable. Much of that can be done by managers/sr. managers and stop hiding behind the phrase, "I've got to get to know you". If each of the leadership team has to "re-vet" every upgrade or new joiner then the vetting process for promotions and hiring needs revamping. This just means you don't trust your colleagues ability to hire and vet leaders.

"Sales, sales, sales"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Accenture (Less than a year)

Pros

- lots of opportunity
    - investment in employees
    - can be an overwhelming place

Cons

- have to find good people to have a good experience
    - can be wide range of quality of people you find
    - takes some amount of luck

"No Values"

Former Employee - Vendor Management in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Vendor Management in Austin, TX

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

This is the place is not for you.

Advice to Management

Management does not exist

6. "It's not for everyone"

Current Employee - Node Developer in Redwood City, CA
    Current Employee - Node Developer in Redwood City, CA

I have been working at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company seems to be making efforts to be inclusive to minorities and underrepresented groups. I work with a more women, lgbtq and veterans than I expected. I am a black male veteran--the only one, but I'm here.

Cons

The culture is can feel very corporate. There are outrageous deadlines that are arbitrarily set without communicating with the developers/engineers building the products. There is constant pressure to work overtime w/o overtime pay to make these deadlines. Even with the efforts they've made to hire minorities they have a long way to go to make us feel welcome or a part of the team.

Advice to Management

Communicate with your teams. Include our voices in the conversations about what is possible or best tools to get the task done. Stop over promising client and blaming the developers for under delivering. And teach employees about culture sensitivity--I had a guy get way to comfortable and start dropping N-bombs like it was cool.

7. "Great job if you like cubicles and not talking to other people"

Former Employee - AFS - Oracle Developer in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - AFS - Oracle Developer in San Antonio, TX

Pros

Opportunities for advancement, travel, benefits. Employee groups for various interests and backgrounds. Solid orientation program.

Cons

Few people where I worked actually understood their jobs. Success was mostly trial and error. Had to go through a lot of red tape just to talk to the client.

Advice to Management

Give employees more freedom to collaborate and try out different roles. Don't lock people in for a year if it's not working out.

"Senior Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Depending on the role you have .. the people are the greatest asset of Accenture. They try to focus on work life balance and diversity

Cons

DO NOT PLAN ON A LONG TERM CAREER WITH ACCENTURE .. the up or out mentality is alive and well at Accenture. Once you approach 50, my advise is to start looking for a alternate profession .. they will downsize you whether you are on a profitable engagement or not.

Advice to Management

Whenever you reorganize at the OU level, do not assume that everyone below you is overhead. I have been around the firm since the Anderson Consulting Days and management need to focus on taking care of their people .. especially those who have consistently delivered on their goals, targets, SLAs, and satisfaction scores and get you where you are.

"Mediocre, Not what I expected"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great intelligent coworkers, Accenture hires some of the best people I have ever worked with.

Cons

Company does not do a good job matching employees with active projects, not enough training, expected better learning opportunities.

Advice to Management

Consider revamping how you match consultants to projects. Provide more training opportunities. Actually give employees time to take those trainings.

10. "Associate Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Accenture (More than a year)

Pros

Good work culture and management.

Cons

Tough to get projects in the development side.

Showing 1,956 of 26,166 reviews