Accenture Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Washington, DC

2.0

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be an after thought even though it's talked as top of mind (in 2756 reviews)

• Long working hours compare to other competitors (in 1375 reviews)

1. "Meh"

Current Employee - Communications Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Communications Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture (More than a year)

Pros

You get to try your hand at a variety of different workstreams.

Cons

Much of consulting is untethered from reality. If you possess a linear, slightly above average intelligence that doesn't need to know why, then it's a good fit.

Advice to Management

Stop being so self-important. Keep things in perspective. Not everything is a code reg emergency. Just because you don't have a rich and varied life outside of work doesn't mean others don't.

"Strategy Consultant"

Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Strategy Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

No pros to this position

Cons

Cons Long Hours, Nepotism, Not enough projects, short bench

3. "Software Implementation Specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

benefits; time off (5 weeks)

Cons

If you use your time off you get penalized because your utilization % is effected and oh... you are also compared against your peers, so its dog-eat-dog. Incompetent young lower management that get egos and are intimidated by anyone over 30 yrs old.

Advice to Management

Give more weight to life experience and personal skills than technical skills and time on project alone.

"Unless you have a Computer Science or IT interest- don't do it!"

Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Consulting Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The organization is great- I won't deny that
    - Very competitive Salary and benefits, especially for a recent grad
    - Very positive/welcoming culture
    - Strong focus on Diversity

Cons

- Unless you have a technology or IT background, you will not be satisfied with staffing opportunities.
    I have been in the firm for over a year and although my educational background and previous experience was in supply chain/strategy all I have been doing is technology/systems work. Because that's most of what Accenture is focusing on.
    - They have a new "regional model" which basically hinders travel opportunities significantly and forces you to only work within a very small sector of the country.
    My contract expressed (75- 100%) travel expected, which I was excited about! but I have only traveled for 2 weeks out of my year at accenture

Advice to Management

If you hire people under certain promises/expectations- follow through with them

"Ups and downs"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty much manage yourself as far as benefits and finding roles are concerned. If you are lucky enough to get on a good project, you could learn a lot and advance.

Cons

Promotions are handled by a career counselor (someone more than often who doesn't know you or your work ethic), which could mean no promotion at all. You could be so unlucky to remain at the same level for years with the same pay but doing more work.

Advice to Management

Take time to appreciate the people you manage for without them, you could not look as good as you do. Help others along, especially if they helped you reach your potential.

6. "Miserable but learned a lot?"

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Some good managers who give structured feedback, lots of opportunities to learn new technical skills

Cons

Cumbersome procedures and training. They rank employees against each other and hire a ton of undergrads straight out of school who know nothing and the pay the developers who do the work less than them

Advice to Management

Too many managers and business analysts, not enough developers who can do the work

"Turning into Booz Allen"

Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Management Consulting Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They are great about their stock sharing program and health insurance benefits, but not much else at this point

Cons

They have turned into a company focused on the bottom line, letting folks go, but continuing to recruit from colleges and hiring people that are no where near the standard that was set years ago. It usually takes me 4-6 months as a manager to find an analyst with the right attitude, intelligence, and work ethic to fit our team and other managers I know are running into the same issues

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on the bottom line and began to realign your focus to your people

"Accenture Federal Services"

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time

Pros

Benefits are good. Accenture's corporate office has a very inviting and open culture. No cubicles and people there are very friendly and are easy to talk to.

Cons

Accenture Federal Services (AFS) is very different from Accenture LLP. No training structure after orientation which makes it incredibly hard, especially for entry level analysts to understand the work and how to do it. Management is too busy to help you get started, career advancement is very difficult. You are paid less than everyone in the commercial side. AFS is promoted as if it structured the same as Accenture LLP, but unfortunately that is not the case.

Note: Most new analysts are not assigned to a project once they are hired and have to apply for a project assignment. It is as if you are applying for a job, within a job.

Advice to Management

Create a training structure that will help new analysts understand the work and how to do it, as well as their specific duties. Become more available for educating new analysts on how the work should be fulfilled and completed.

9. "Associate Manager Big Data"

Current Employee - Senior Big Data Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Big Data Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Company has no interest in developing staff, business model based on high turn over rate

Cons

Workers that stand out are promoted quicking

"Literally the worst job I ever had"

Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Consulting Analyst in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Useful project management exposure/ experience

Cons

I thought the 'up or out' culture lead to culture that undermined collaboration as employees worked toward their own self-interest much more intensely than serve the client well as a team. Its was hard to trust your colleagues or support them because you might be taken advantage of. Also, unconscious bias seemed prevalent despite the claim of being a 'meritocracy'. For example, despite being praised for the quality of my work and being more educated and experienced than my peers, I was passed over for promotion for not 'needing more time at my current level to be a part of the team'. Which is a way of saying that I didnt 'fit in' despite doing good work. Of course this kind of feedback was only given during the final performance review period and never along the way.

Advice to Management

Require your managers to attend unconscious bias training. Compare evaluations across teams and look for trends in the performance data

Showing 36 of 27,842 reviews