Accenture Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Accenture CEO Pierre Nanterme
Pierre Nanterme

Pros
Cons
  • Work life balance can be an after thought even though it's talked as top of mind (in 2592 reviews)

• Long working hours but that was to be expected from a consulting firm (in 1289 reviews)

1. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Management Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance at Accenture Federal Services! Great team mates! Great benefits for new hires!

Cons

I can't think of any right now.

Advice to Management

Allow the entering employees more say in the career.

"Opportunities if you're willing to work for them"

Current Employee - General Consultant in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - General Consultant in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Relocation stipend and good signing bonus; strong social responsibility branch and commitment to diversity--Accenture was the first to publish their diversity stats so they could stay transparent and held accountable as they worked toward their goals. Cool programs, like Accenture Development Partners, where you can apply to work pro-bono for a non-profit overseas (usually take a paycut but still sounds amazing).

Cons

Performance bonus is nowhere near as high as banking but is offered as 'merit pay'; do not pay for grad school; very little say in what kind of project you land in when you arrive (typical though); no longer sending analysts out of the region for projects (downside for those hoping to jetset cross-country, but more realistic/easier for travel).

Advice to Management

Middle management is slightly less approachable than top management at times; team leaders can choose they like an analyst and claim them project after project, which is flattering but stifles opportunity to taste different types of work.

"Good Gig"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture (More than 5 years)

Pros

Accenture hires good people and gives them a fair degree of independence. Culture is oriented around accomplishing a lot for your clients, which leads to less of the cynical consulting mindset.

Cons

New joiners are on a much more regimented upward slope than those a few years ahead of them. Consulting hours can be demanding for those with families.

Advice to Management

Continue to find ways to keep people engaged if they're not moving upwards. Continue investing in training employees to have a wide-skillset, not just those that suit their current project.

5. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Varied Projects, Very intelligent people that you work with. The projects really push you to learn and develop as a person. look after their employees better than other companies due to the fact they treat you as an individual,give you opportunities to excel and are prepared to go out of the way to help and understand any problems that may arise whilst working in the remote environment that their employees are working in.

Cons

One needs to consistently be patient and understanding with your work colleagues. As we are all there to get the job done as a team it is important that we look out each other and provide help and advice in getting the contact over the line in a safe and ethical manner.

Advice to Management

Stay the course. One needs to consistently be patient and understanding with your work mates.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Analyst in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Technology Consulting Senior Analyst in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Get to wear many hats
    - Culture is great
    - Rarely over 40 hours
    - Interesting projects
    - Post work activities
    - Great Benefits

Cons

- Federal can really cage you

Advice to Management

Keep doing well - keep developing your leaders.

"You are given the entrepreneurial opportunity of a lifetime. Take it, but understand what you must do for success."

Current Employee - Manager in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accenture is not about "taking a job," as in a "they" will then tell you where you fit in , and where the pecking order is. Accenture is, in reality, a once in a life time opportunity to develop your entrepreneurial calling in a wide open rip roaring 21st century version of "wild wild west."

Yes, very much like the wide open and free west of the 1880's though WWI. Not the stuffy "Back East," where "everybody knows their spot in the pecking order," mentality that smart innovative people escaped from to make their fortunes in the west.

Think of it this way, for the first 2-3 years the company backs you with a wage as you get staffed on projects, for which you add add value from what you know and thus revenue from clients. But as that happens you can't sit still like working your way into a spot on a factory assembly line for the rest of your working life.

Accenture is not that factory floor spot at all....

Accenture is the excitement of very personal dynamic and creative innovation that aligns with dynamic and creative innovation for clients, and clients do expect that.

And that means creative destruction, over your career, including what you are and what you know, as that will eventually have to be replaced with something new that you discover though your own efforts and that of the copious technical training available for the asking.

Accenture is about you developing, and then continuing to re invent your expertise, as if you were your own little dynamic and innovative company of one. And since you are a company of one, you then have to figure out how to network yourself throughout the organization. Otherwise nobody will know who you are and what you can do. The networking is essentially selling yourself, and ultimately there is no escaping that fact.

While it is true you could join a large non consulting firm, and then tuck yourself away in some corner "doing your thing" for ever, that is not the Accenture model at all.

Something to realize is that you can go elsewhere, and "hide out" and perhaps you will be lucky and not get tossed out when you get stale, when management changes.

But the reality is that Accenture does not lie to you or hide the reality of managerial / white collar life.

You have to, as your career progresses, as many researchers have found, to continually learn and re invent what you do AND, at the same time, shift from being a pure technical expert into a more complete human being that can deal with other human beings in managing / discussing ideas and interactions among people and explaining / educating / selling complex ideas to internal and external stakeholders.

Cons

If you have an entrepreneurial spirit, there are none.

Yes there are some small missteps due to the nature of bureaucracy that happens with 380,000 plus employees, world-wide.

Otherwise....

If you view yourself as being "set in your ways," as in "I learned as much as I had to for my big tech thing a few years back, and now I'm an expert and now I'm going to sit here like a big stuffed turkey,...then you will eventually be roasted, like a big stuffed turkey.

If you want to sit still, go somewhere else.

If you can't deal with the turmoil of what amounts to a free market, go somewhere else.

If you don't like to keep yourself sharp and competitive, go somewhere else.

If you can't become a person who can not only execute something of value and, at the same time, sell yourself though networking inside the company, then go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Keep it up.

8. "Technology Consultant Role at Accenture Federal Services in Washington DC"

Former Employee - Technology Consultant in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Technology Consultant in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Your experience at Accenture is really what you make of it. Because it's such a big company with broad industry, project, and client opportunities, you have the say in what you want to do and where you end up. In bigger teams or projects you could feel like you're a small fish in a big pond, but in smaller teams you could feel like you're working in a start-up. Overall, the company provides great benefits, opportunities for learning, and opportunities for advancement. You have TFS (talent fulfillment specialists) helping you find your next projects or role, but your success really depends on your network within the company. The company also provides and encourages extracurricular or community involvement.

Cons

In the federal practice, your experience is a little limited. Your clients are mainly government clients based out of the DC office. You are not allowed to switch into the commercial practice in your first year. Without a good network, it could get difficult to find roles that you like since lot of the TFS-based searches are based on business need. Because of this, sometimes people could get stuck in a single client or project for a long time. Due to the nature of the work (System Implementation & Technology Consulting), the projects are usually on the longer side (6 month - 2 years) leading to feeling stuck or bored, especially in bigger teams on a federal project.

Advice to Management

Continue offering advancement and learning opportunities. Encourage rotation through industries, projects, roles, and client engagements.

9. "great"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I worked at Accenture full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the people and development were highlights

Cons

you have to know the right people

Advice to Management

I don't have any advice

10. "Solid company"

Former Employee - Experienced Manager in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Experienced Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

It's a solid company. It's not perfect to be sure, and they will be the first to admit it, and to quote former CEO, Bill Green, who I met twice, "on our worst days, we are very good.... On our best days, no one can beat us..." I believe that is true.

Was there for 15 years. Three times, I had a life event (family member passing, illness, etc.), and every time, the Senior Managers and Managing Directors had my back. That's the payback for working long and hard hours - life throws a curveball, they understand - that's my experience anyway.

They take their Value Statements VERY seriously... I like that.

Cons

Not so much a con, just a statement of being in the IT industry. There will be here as in any other highly competitive consulting firm, a re-org every couple of years. That's just life.

It is now a quite large company. Strongly recommend taking the notion of the Career Counselor very seriously. That's how you survive.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what you are doing. The North America lead (Julie Sweet) is fantastic.

11. "Contractor Through Accenture"

Current Employee - Government Contractor in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Government Contractor in Washington, DC

I have been working at Accenture full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good standing in the field, very professional, good benefits, good opportunities for employment, really work to build relationships with employees, strong commitment to giving back to the community, state of the art technology

Cons

I have no cons to mention! However, I find that I don't care much for the job of a contractor, and that's the only kind of work that Accenture offers.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! You're a class act!

Showing 67 of 25,497 reviews