Access Sciences Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Access Sciences President & CEO Steve E. Erickson
Steve E. Erickson

"Solid employer with a good track record."

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Access Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Solid employer with a good track record, even through challenges of oil and gas cycles. Former CEO Tulek brought much needed positive change such as ESOP, better recruiting, new clients, and many years of profitable growth. Tulek kept the company going while competitors were closing their doors or had to get outside funding to stay alive. Current CEO Erickson is going away from software, and narrowing the strategy, and it is going well. Nice, collegial spirit and culture.

Cons

Located in Houston where oil and gas still plays a big role in companies like Access Sciences.
    We can be myopic at times, but that isn't always a bad thing.

Advice to Management

Stay focused on client excellence and growing our careers.

"Once a great company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at Access Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-Great people to work with.

Cons

-Pay was mediocre to say the least.
    -Dependent on the Oil and Gas industries/projects which led to massive layoff of the workforce.
    -Terrible former CEO who drove the company into the ground after trying to go all in on a Microsoft Access-based software.

Advice to Management

-Glad to see Steve Erickson in charge, but it may be too late.

Apr 12, 2017 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We think Access Sciences is still a great place to work and we continue to make changes for the better. Over time, business strategies change and as a result, companies ... More

3. "Amazing company to work for"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Houston, TX

I have been working at Access Sciences (Less than a year)

Pros

ASC has flexible work hours and PTO. Full Benefits, 401k. Excellent pay. Great people. I've been with ASC for a cumulative 20 years, over 16 years in my current assignment.

Cons

I have no complaints and I've worked with ASC since 1990.

Oct 17, 2016 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We think Access Sciences is a great place to work and we continue to make changes for the better.

"Leadership Committed to Employees' Well-being"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Access Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at other consulting firms before and although most of them were concerned about their employees' well being I have never seen a company as transparent, accessible and genuinely invested in providing the best working conditions and support for their people as Access Sciences. Even in hard times the focus has always been to keep people employed and busy with tasks that will enrich them professionally and help the business over time.

Cons

The company relies a little too much on the competency of a few seasoned consultants. Methods and job aids exist but are in need of revision to bring them up-to-date with state-of-art thinking and increasing their usefulness for less experienced consultants.

Advice to Management

Focus on core competencies and develop tools and methods that can truly be helpful in performing consulting work.

Nov 16, 2015 – Vice President

Thank you for the feedback on the need to update our consulting methods with state-of-the-art thinking and useful tools. There are plans underway to build a Program Management Office to take on the ... More

"Mostly a discouraging environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous in Houston, TX

I have been working at Access Sciences (More than 3 years)

Pros

Access Sciences provides flexibility to work from home or beyond traditional office hours, allowing employees to maintain a healthy work-life balance.

Cons

Little room for advancement or job assignment diversification. A positive performance review doesn't necessarily yield a bonus or even a hearty "job well done". Company is employee-owned, yet it seems the employees don't really have visibility into the long-term plan of the company. The atmosphere in the office is highly tense and uncomfortable because people are worried about their job stability.

Advice to Management

Utilize an individual's strengths and encourage the employee to identify opportunities for growth and improvement, including training. A collaborative environment is nice until it becomes so collaborative, work progress is delayed or hindered. Share company's vision with employees. Transparency should only increase during difficult economic times.

Nov 16, 2015 – Vice President

Thank you for your frank feedback. We strive for work-life balance to keep our employees happy and healthy. Access Sciences has developed a Consulting Career Model to address your concerns about ... More

7. "Supportive Work Environment, Recognizes Talent, Provides Opportunities"

Current Employee - Manager in Baton Rouge, LA
    Current Employee - Manager in Baton Rouge, LA

I have been working at Access Sciences full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The company recognizes talent and provides new opportunities. Management is warm and supportive and encourages ongoing learning.

Cons

When working in consulting or outsourced positions it can be difficult to maintain a strong sense of community with the company itself.

Advice to Management

Continue to be supportive of employees. Recognize those at the technician level who do great work and serve the company and clients over the long term.

Oct 17, 2016 – Vice President

8. "Supportive work environment and meaningful work"

Current Employee - Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Access Sciences part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

People work here because they do meaningful work on teams with smart people who are dedicated to their clients. And, we have a friendly and supportive environment!

Cons

We used to have more office-wide get-togethers...would love to get those going again.

Advice to Management

Remember to have fun at work!

Oct 17, 2016 – Vice President

9. "Great for college grads but not for seasoned professionals"

Former Employee - Technology Consultant in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Technology Consultant in Houston, TX

Pros

Company outings, team members and nothing else

Cons

Technical leadership, management, project managers, business processes, no competitive pay,

Advice to Management

Get better leadership, better project management, competitive pay and invest in finding good talent

Sep 15, 2015 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. We strive to recruit seasoned professionals and recent college grads. Having diverse employees on staff brings a wealth of knowledge and experience which can only enhance ... More

10. "Consultant"

Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I worked at Access Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Access has a generally warm environment from peers. Collaboration among peers is common and professional development is encouraged. Unlike other consulting firms, burn out is less likely because sabbaticals are offered to employees, provided the employee is okay with receiving 1/3 of their regular pay (all benefits continue during sabbatical).

Cons

Upper management is a bit rabid, encouraging all employees to pitch Access' offerings to friends, family, and acquaintances. Perhaps they were interested in creating a "buzz," but it came across as desperate and unwise.

Advice to Management

Maintain a dialogue with your employees, even when things get hectic. I appreciated the open door policy upper management had when I was first hired. The atmosphere got a bit hostile when layoffs happened and upper management did not address a clear vision for the company.

Aug 31, 2015 – Vice President

Thank you for your feedback. Access Sciences strives to provide a warm environment for our employees. We continue to have an open door policy and management often reminds everyone of that policy. Of ... More

11. "Information Management"

Current Employee - Construction Information Management in Saint Helens, OR
    Current Employee - Construction Information Management in Saint Helens, OR

I have been working at Access Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working on a job site outside of the Access Sciences Corporate offices gives the employee a great view into the vast world of information management. Each company has different needs in processing and managing these documents. Access Sciences management allows the offsite leads and teams to focus on the project needs and structure the information management processes to that individual customer.

Cons

The offsite teams do not see or hear from Access Sciences Corporate Management members often enough. We do receive e-mail communication, but to see management in person makes a huge difference to know we are part of the larger Access Sciences team.

Advice to Management

Access Sciences management has always been easy to work with. I have never had a problem receiving prompt communication either by e-mail or phone to answer any questions.