Acclaro Reviews | Glassdoor

Michael Kriz

"Lacks room for growth"

Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Localization Project Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Acclaro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

All of the individuals I've worked with are great! People have positive attitudes and are always willing to answer questions and help in any way possible. Good work-life balance, and it's rare to have to work long hours. Project budgets are good, and there's not such a need to haggle with linguists over rates.

Cons

There is little room for growth within the company. I'm not sure whether it's due to the company's size, but there is a lack of opportunity to step outside of the Project Manager role and really learn something new and explore other opportunities at Acclaro.

Emphasis is not placed on investing in employees in regards to adequate training (general loc. PM training as well as what's new in the industry), and there is little acknowledgment of a job well done in regards to raises. While this is not necessarily uncommon in many other jobs these days, it is clear that the higher-ups at Acclaro don't have much regard for experienced PMs' work and do not give raises unless the PM takes on 2 or 3 times their original workload.

Advice to Management

Recognize that there are many other opportunities for localization PMs in the Bay Area, and invest in your employees and acknowledge when they do good work. When senior management comes into town, take time to talk with all employees one-on-one about their roles and how things are going. Consider potential bonuses if a raise is not fiscally possible.

2. "Worst Localization vendor ever to work for"

Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Engineer in Boston, MA

I worked at Acclaro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I really don't have anything good to say about Acclaro.

Cons

Overtime is mandatory not an exception. Managers are not professional and like to gossip a lot.

3. "Great people, supportive and flexible environment"

Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Acclaro full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I worked at Acclaro for five years -- the longest I've stayed at any company in my career. This is a place where you can take an idea and run with it, expand your horizons, be a proud language geek, and mostly be in charge of your own schedule and whether or not you worked from home. It's a very family-friendly environment, with an emphasis on the well-being of the employees and their loved ones. The company strives to be inclusive and while everyone works hard, the rewards on a personal and professional level are many.

Cons

The localization and translation industry is in great flux and is undergoing many changes. This includes new technology, machine and/or crowdsourced translation (vs professional human translators), and clients expecting to pay less for more. Acclaro is a bit "stuck" and needs to sprint out ahead of the pack in order to continue to be the best, high-quality translation agency out there, while also being relevant and cost-efficient to a demanding clientele.

Advice to Management

Continue to try some "out of the box" marketing and sales ideas and mix it up a bit in terms of translation service models.

"Not very good environment"

I worked at Acclaro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

CEO is very nice person...

Cons

Long commute, office is in the middle of nowhere, crazy co workers, not good environment to work and not very communication driven company...

"Awful place to work"

I worked at Acclaro full-time

Pros

Very well structured company as a whole.

Cons

Working overtime is a must if you work for this company. Office manager in Maynard likes to micromanage, which will make you go nuts and the office environment is terrible.

6. "I've really enjoyed my time at Acclaro."

I have been working at Acclaro full-time

Pros

Fast paced environment. Great co-workers. Commitment to high quality work. Interesting clients and projects. Family-friendly company culture. Ability to set flexible work-schedules. Good benefits relative to similar (US) service businesses.

Cons

Staff is distributed across multiple US locations, home offices and literally around the world. So project communication is largely through emails and phone. Sometimes off-hours.
    As a client and project-based service business - there are ups and downs in workload, and pressure on efficiency and client-satisfaction.

Advice to Management

Invest more in custom software development. Publicize new / growth opportunities more within the company.

"Great colleagues, serious micromanagement issues"

Former Employee - Localization Project Manager
    Former Employee - Localization Project Manager

I worked at Acclaro full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fast paced, co-workers are professional, supportive and team-oriented.

Cons

Long hours, low pay, no professional development, management spends an inordinate amount of time on micromanagement (for example, all client emails must be reviewed and approved before being sent out). Lack of trust for employees. Long, long hours.

Advice to Management

Train, support and trust your employees. Empower them to do their jobs. Add professional growth to reduce turnover.

"A fine first job"

Pros

The work was interesting and varied. Liked the size of the company and that I got a chance to know people in various positions of the company. I liked most of the individuals I worked with directly.

Cons

Disorganized; desperately needs to figure out its workplace rules because I constantly got conflicting instructions (and hence critiques) on every aspect of my work. Geographically dispersed, which is a plus for the industry and a minus for any kind of esprit de corps.

Advice to Management

Management needs to decide on a business model and stick with it. The company cannot be all things to all people.

"Learned a lot, but long hours and spotty management support"

Pros

Can take on lots of diverse and interesting projects and clients. Learn a lot from seasoned professionals

Cons

Non-transparent and rather cryptic communication style amongst some senior management. Management can be demanding but not necessarily supportive of employees, who are already under lots of pressure with clients.
    There's a strong sense of customer service but at the cost of employees' work/life balance. Long hours and low pay.

10. "Great place to work; coworkers are a joy"

I worked at Acclaro full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A company that understands there is a work/life balance and allows for flexibility. Coworkers are all excellent and there is a feeling of "family" among the team.

Cons

Bring a small company, there is not much in the way of growth opportunities.