Accolade Reviews | Glassdoor

3.8
Accolade CEO Rajeev Singh
Rajeev Singh

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Excellent work from home and remote work atmosphere (in 14 reviews)

• Smart people who want to work hard to make a difference (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Call-center culture -- They really stress out when you refer to health assistants as workers in a call center (in 25 reviews)

• Two cons: the first is that as a Health assistant, you can sometimes feel like hung out to dry (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Opportunity to build something amazing!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Accolade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you've never had the opportunity to be at the forefront of creating something very meaningful that will impact millions of people's lives all while working with the latest technologies, this is your chance! I really enjoy the outstanding work/life balance I'm afforded here. I've worked for several organizations where you had to be the first person in to turn on the lights and the last one out to turn them off. That mentality does not exist here at all. As long as you're doing your job, you have complete autonomy. Also, the leadership here is completely transparent/honest with regards to our wins/losses/momentum/challenges we're facing which is refreshing.

Cons

Accolade only offers transportation benefits to those who take public transportation. I choose to drive into work which causes the tolls/parking to expenses to add up. If you aren't able to allow folks to expense these costs then perhaps open an east side location ;-)

Advice to Management

I can't think of anything constructive to share here. Just keep doing what you're doing as I have complete faith in our mission/vision and the fact that you've been able to be very successful building something similar in your previous company.

2. "Health Assistant"

I have been working at Accolade full-time

Pros

Great benefits, and awesome culture. Good work-life balance. You don't take your work home with you.

Cons

It's difficult to find the time during the work day to invest in other work programs and pursuits - day to day work load is heavy.

"Terrible Company"

Former Employee - Health Assistant in Philadelphia, PA
    Former Employee - Health Assistant in Philadelphia, PA

I worked at Accolade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. Accolade puts everything in writing. See why this is important below:

Cons

Where do I start? Management is terrible at this place. They will tell you one thing one moment and then something completely different the next. It is complete chaos there and no one in management can be trusted. Health Assistants work their tails off and do not get much in return. You are there to help people, but they constantly hold pointless meetings and have you take surveys on how the company is doing, which they never seem to actually take your opinions into consideration. This takes away from your actual job-helping people understand their benefits and investigate claims. The stress levels of the employees are through the roof in which many people have either left or have been fired.
    Also, they have you write reviews about your supervisor and tell you that it is “anonymous”. This is not the case. They know exactly what you wrote and can trace it back to your computer. Do not trust them when they tell you it is anonymous.
    Management always tells you to “own the relationship” and to “take responsibility”. This is hilarious because they do not follow their own advice. Back in January 2017 we received an email telling us that they fell for a phishing scheme and that our W2 information was sent out to someone without verifying who it was being sent to. Think about that for a second. This was not a data breach, they were not hacked. THEY LITERALLY HANDED OVER THEIR EMPLOYEES MOST SENSITIVE INFORMATION WITHOUT VERIFYING WHO IT WAS BEING SENT TO! Hundreds of employees SSN, salaries, and addresses were sent out to criminals. All the criminals did was send an email asking for their employees W2 information and Accolade sent them out because they were either too stupid or too lazy to make sure it was legitimate. Many people, myself included, had their taxes filed fraudulently as well as their student loan information accessed. This is an inconvenience that will follow us for the rest of our lives in which we will constantly have to look over our shoulders. The IRS has contacted me 5 times so far about someone pretending to be me. Sad thing is this was all completely preventable if they had just done their jobs. The company that preaches ownership and responsibility does not want to do either in this case. Their response to this was lazy. This is going to affect us for the rest of our lives and they think they can just wash their hands of it.
    There have been other reviews left on this site regarding their negligence, however, they always seem to disappear. Why is that? Even more interesting, there was a review left on 3/17/17 about this where one of Accolade’s Cyber Security officials responded and even admitted that an employee made a mistake. THEY ADMITTED TO THEIR NEGLEGENCE (AGAIN) yet it was removed the next day. That is okay because I know a lot of people who kept the original emails that they sent out regarding their negligence.
    If you do decide to take a job here, watch out and hope that they do not just hand over your identity to someone. Hopefully this review stays because it is the truth.

Advice to Management

Fire the CEO and the rest of the incompetent upper management.

"Love being part of an innovative growing company!"

Pros

Rewarding work making an impact on as many lives as possible
    Growing company with promotional opportunity
    Amazing leaders who truly care about me as a person
    Allows me to be myself and values individual thinking

Cons

As a growing company there are still processes that need to be developed but I also find that very rewarding.

"Sales Rep"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pitts, PA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Pitts, PA

I have been working at Accolade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great leaders, awesome mission.

Cons

Let's make things less complicated.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep it real.

6. "Amazing Place!"

Pros

Great work culture
    Amazing People
    Flexibility in the kind of work one wants to do

Cons

I don't have any cons to point out.
    Its a great place to work .

"Decent Pay. Unstable Environment. Practically Non-Existent Diversity"

Former Employee - Health Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Health Assistant in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Accolade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

First, if we're referring strictly to hourly pay, it's higher than what you'd be paid for similar work at other call centers. (See the cons for the company's definition of "call center.")

Second, the benefits are certainly impressive. Most notably, they cover the entire deductible for their high-deductible plan, and the premium is low. They also have an HMO option -- they called it closed-panel PPO -- that's a little pricey, but you have very low cost sharing and low out-of-pocket maximums.

Third, they have a constant supply of fruits in the break room, ostensibly to promote a healthy culture. (Why not? After all, it is a health-care company.)

Cons

Salary -- notice in the "Pro" section, I commented strictly on the dollar rate you're paid. This does not include ancillary pay, such as bonuses. Why? Because they took them away from everyone -- except salaried employees. They made the change when they converted health assistance to non-exempt employees. They sold it that you can do some overtime to offset the loss in bonus, but the stewards (supervisors) will issue corrective action if you attempt overtime. Ask your steward about the logic about removing the bonuses from people who need them most, and you'll hear them stammer incoherently. Or they'll argue that most call centers don't offer bonuses, which is a pretty ignorant statement, considering every center I've worked with offers bonuses. BUT AT LEAST THE LEADERSHIP TEAM AND MULTI-MILLIONAIRE-PAID EXECUTIVE TEAM GET THEIR BONUSES.

Also, and this is important, although you get a lunch, THE COMPANY DOES NOT PROVIDE OFFICIAL BREAKS. What you get is 20 minutes of "personal time" that can only be used in five-minute increments, and even then the stewards may have questions if you start using it. Ask a steward why you don't get official breaks, and their response is, "One of the draws of having a presence in Arizona and Pennsylvania is that neither state mandates break and meal periods, so we're not required to give you one." They also argue that this is common in all call centers. Again, their understanding of call centers is woefully unsophisticated.

Leadership -- The executive team seems nice enough, but front-line leadership are poor communicators, lack vision, and despite their title of "steward," take very little interest in being stewards of their teams. They're pretty much cattle herders.

Diversity -- Embarrassing, although they are trying to bring in token people of color to throw off the white's-only scent. They have an Indian American CEO and a new CMO who is black. However, on the front line, health assistants are invariably white and women. When they brought in interns to our center recently, they were all white, mostly blond hair, and were practically indistinguishable from each other. Ask your steward about this, and the response is, "Well, we don't have a lot of men or people of color apply." Puhleaze.

Call-center culture -- They really stress out when you refer to health assistants as workers in a call center. They justify this by saying that call centers are transactional and that we aren't. They clearly have an unsophisticated understanding of call centers. Many call centers provide qualitative service like ours does. But the recent, massive process changes has us on the phones, really, for the entirety of the day, but we're also supposed to manage an array of tasks, customer e-mails, SMS messages, and follow-ups. Ask your steward about this, and the response is, "Oh, this is totally doable." Being doable and being reasonable are two different things. This is lost on them.

Raises and promotions -- nebulous, to say the least. Apparently, to move to a higher pay grade, e.g. "band," part of your review is based on feedback from other stewards and your own team members. If any of them have an issue, you will not be promoted. When you ask explicitly for the metrics surrounding peer and leadership feedback (so you know what you're gunning for in the future), the steward doesn't have an answer. The reality: They don't want to pay the money out to move people, so they apply the most nebulous, asinine review standards. (Conduct an informal survey among health assistants, and you'll see this is a big gripe for most.)

Overwork -- They are bringing in several new clients who have employee bases, in some cases, in the thousands, BUT they refuse to hire other health assistants to help with the workload. Ask your steward about this, and they'll say, "We're trying to be profitable. Not hiring will save us money. You guys can just take on the extra work." In other words, "Get ready to work like an indentured servant -- AND NO BONUS FOR YOU!"

Advice to Management

First, explain why taking away bonuses from non-exempt employees is necessary to "promote profitability," but keeping them for exempt employees who, in some cases, make TWENTY TIMES our salary suddenly has no impact on profitability.

Second, have an honest discussion about your annual-review policies, because what we're sold on is not congruent with reality.

Third, presenting us with an apple but demanding that we check our brains at the door and agree to call it an orange is an insult to people's professionalism and intellect. When you push process changes that increase our call targets to such an extent that we have to be on the phones all day to meet them, THAT IS A CALL CENTER.

Fourth, it would be great to stop hearing excuses that not enough people of color apply for roles and just admit that you want a specific gender and ethnicity of employee, token people of color notwithstanding.

Accolade Response

Nov 1, 2017 – Health Assistant Practice Lead

Hello. While I’m disappointed to hear that you don’t believe Accolade created an exceptional work environment for you, I can assure you that we are listening and appreciate all feedback as a culture... More

"I love my job and co-workers"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Accolade full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company mission is compelling and the culture is second to none. The CEO and senior leaders are available and approachable and are committed to consistent and transparent communication, including sharing both wins and opportunities. We have the privilege of working with smart, caring and creative peers who are all at Accolade for much more than "just a job." You couldn't ask for a better opportunity to make a difference in the world, while working in a fast-paced, innovative environment.

Cons

We can sometimes try and accomplish too much, though always with good intentions.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing and don't lose focus on the culture or employee experience that you've already created.

9. "Analyst"

I worked at Accolade full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great Community of People with a lot of potential to grow.

Cons

Potential for some Long Hours

Advice to Management

Better Cross Communication

"The most competent HR Team IN THE WORLD"

Current Employee - Health Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA
    Current Employee - Health Assistant in Plymouth Meeting, PA

I have been working at Accolade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The HR team at Accolade is the most compotent, authentic, HR Team I haveever had the opportunity to get to know. They truly take in to account the whole person when there is something going on with one of their employees and do their absolute best to resolve workplace issues. Ashley in HR is an absolute dream!

Being at Accolade has changed my life. I love being a part of a team of such wonderful human beings.

Cons

Stop being so WONDERFUL all the time, Jeeze!

Advice to Management

Keep finding the gold standard employees for the