Accretive Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated January 5, 2017

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Joseph Flanagan

Pros
  • Amazing work-life balance in the Finance team (in 16 reviews)

• It was great to have the ability to work from home or the office (in 9 reviews)

Cons

"Run! Do NOT accept a position here!"

Current Employee - Manager in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people, but ...

Cons

...most managers are completely incompetent and not engaged, other than with each other in planning what bar they will go to after work every day.

Advice to Management

You need to be fired so that this company has a chance to succeed in any possible way. Rebranding this company and trading a current CEO for another one who already works here will NOT work!

"So many parallels to the Titanic"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Southfield, MI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Southfield, MI

I worked at Accretive Health as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As I was not a direct employee of Accretive Health but rather contracted and working onsite I have a slightly unique view of the company.

- Decent, new office space
     - good amenities such as a fitness center offered for free to building employees
     - Generally quiet working environment (office space with phone usage)

Cons

- Do NOT accept a position here expecting to get a promotion and a raise.
     - Expect that what you are doing and earning on day 1 is what you will leave the company with. I've heard from so many employees who have told me they make the same or little more than they did with 5+ years of service then get passed over for a promotion only to have that higher-level position filled by a recent college graduate with no management or healthcare field experience.
     - Expect that if you are promoted (because they cannot find anyone to hire for that position) that you WILL be given more responsibility, be given a laptop and expected to work FOR FREE during OFF HOURS and do so without a pay increase. Yes I've seen that happen numerous times and people have after a few weeks then declined the promotion and/or quit.

- Until there is a MASSIVE change in culture do NOT expect to be happy here.

Advice to Management

- Quit acting like you know everything; you know nothing.
     - Quit acting like those under you are idiots; there are so many people who genuinely care about the company and the people they serve who continuously get overlooked.
     - Quit acting like you are taking an interest in improving the company by asking for user input unless you are going to use the feedback.
     - Pay talent what it is worth and reward experience and skill or top talent will continue to flee.

"Understaffed!"

Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

sick time, decent insurance, and pto

Cons

Corporate management only hears from other management on site and it doesn't seem like corporate years what's going on. Site management doesn't want to listen to people coming to them with actual problems in their tech. Changes in processes are not addressed appropriately. Most management is an inner circle of friends, if you are not in the clique you will not move forward. If you show you can be dependable and know what you're doing you will have extra work piled on with no compensation. While others that continually show they cannot do their job are completely ignored and not retrained, they are given empty threats of action being taken then told they will be retrained on aspects they need help on, the retraining never happens. Can't keep people it's constantly understaffed. Unfair expectations, that some are actually held accountable for and others seem to just get away with.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from your own mgmt pool, while I enjoy that fact we can get a hire bonus for people we refer, it is a policy that has bread a very cliquey work culture and when management comes off confrontational and not approachable it makes them very hard to work for. They don't listen to people that are doing the daily work, and 9 times out of 10 don't even know the processes that we are working with. Train your people and train the better, and have a training team that actually listens!

"You can do better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Pros

Benefits are great. The staff is great to work with.

Cons

Management and the Ops Leads are horrible just walking around with laptops all day not knowing how to fix anything.Advancement in the company sucks you can't get anywhere. They want you to sit in the same seat for years.

Advice to Management

Management does not speak to their staff. They are disrespectful. Always wanting quantity over quality you out source our work to the BSO in India.Who just so happens to mess things up and expect for the CBO to correct and fix the mistakes no giving us any credit for the millions we bring to these facilities we are bringing revenue to.

"AVOID!!"

Former Employee - Patient Financial Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Financial Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None really come to mind.

Cons

Avoid the Kalamazoo Michigan location of this company like the plague! Middle-management is a joke, office atmosphere is like high school, you have to account for every second of your day so God help you if you have to go to the bathroom too much. Very stressful job for very little pay. You have to fight for every dollar commission that you earn. Horrible experience.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at your department leads and basically all middle-management. Nepotism runs rampant, and there is a level of incompetence that is just stunning.

"Miserable place"

Former Employee - Medical Biller - Follow-Up Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Medical Biller - Follow-Up Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in the loop! The office is close to all public trans, not to mention near great places for lunch and shopping.

Cons

Backstabbing, negatively competitive, horrible managers who were promoted undeservingly based on personal connections. Clique-ish management. Mature hourly employees are treated like second-class citizens. I would discourage anyone from working here.

Advice to Management

Bring in consultants to COMPLETELY overhaul culture

"Don't work for this company"

Former Employee - Patient Financial Services Representative in Warren, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Financial Services Representative in Warren, MI

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay check. Some experience. Nice co-workers. Will hire you with little to no experience. They think every one is trainable but they will pay you uneed fair market value.

Cons

Horrible company. No room for growth or opportunities. Do not promote from within. Management is not properly trained it's more of who you know to get hired. Off shore office in India and they are treated better with more perks.

Advice to Management

If you want to keep the good people promote them.

"Horrible people, will not train you except for failure."

Former Employee - Clerical Associate in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Clerical Associate in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

There are none. do not waste your time.

Cons

There is no organization, they spin out of control over the littlest issues, managing staff is horrible at best, and to think I wasted 6 years watching them act as if they were children. Please do not take a position with these people they are only looking out how to cover their backsides.

Advice to Management

Your lucky you found an investor before you crashed.

"Cash Posting"

Current Employee - Cash Applications Associate in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Cash Applications Associate in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Not to many Pros . At least not for me.

Cons

Everyone is so miserable who works for this company. The employee's don't smile, they look sad and the work floor is so quite you could hear an ant fart. No eating at your desk, no cell phones, you must clock at your exact start time! Not 1 minute before or after or you will get written up. Terrible and petty. No wonder everyone is miserable. Entirely too much to learn for the pay too!

Advice to Management

Research how successful companies retain employees. You all haven't a clue. Even your Mangers are miserable.

11. "So many clicks"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Accretive Health full-time

Pros

The other employees are great.

Cons

To many shifts in lower and upper management.
    Only room for growth if part of a click.
    No appreciation from higher ups

Advice to Management

Be involved and be aware of what the people below you are doing.