Accretive Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated November 22, 2017

1.0
Joseph Flanagan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Amazing work-life balance in the Finance team (in 19 reviews)

• It was great to have the ability to work from home or the office (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Long hours, no real work/life balance (in 17 reviews)

• We had to work long hours to keep up with the high call volume (in 21 reviews)

1. "ops lead"

I worked at Accretive Health full-time

Pros

learned a lot from some good people that work there

Cons

poor management not in tune with employee needs, long hours, a former vp was reported for sexual harassment

2. "Medical Transcription"

Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Medical Transcriptionist in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accretive Health part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is a job.

Cons

No training for new assignments. Dictatorial management.

Advice to Management

Train and compensate for new assignments while your people are getting the lay of the land. Get feedback on a higher level on how department managers/heads are doing to promote a better "culture." So far, a solid F.

"Run! Do NOT accept a position here!"

Current Employee - Manager in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Southfield, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are some nice people, but ...

Cons

...most managers are completely incompetent and not engaged, other than with each other in planning what bar they will go to after work every day.

Advice to Management

You need to be fired so that this company has a chance to succeed in any possible way. Rebranding this company and trading a current CEO for another one who already works here will NOT work!

"Not Headed in a Good direction"

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Benefits Package is alright, some changes this year that make the value almost useless though. the view is pretty good, but not a whole lot else in this company is worthwhile.

Cons

Management is unable to acquire or retain competent employees and refuses to take action against repeat offenders that continually exacerbate their problems. management will continually take you from your job duties to focus on the almighty ASA at the expense of your work then be upset that you cannot deliver on the expected deadlines because they are not able to manage their workforce adequately.

Advice to Management

restructure your supervisory staff. three of the four supervisors have never taken a call for the Customer Service Unit and your training staff have less than 8 hrs of phone time combined. If you can't see the problem in that, there is really nothing else I can say or do to help you.

"So many parallels to the Titanic"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Southfield, MI
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Southfield, MI

I worked at Accretive Health as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As I was not a direct employee of Accretive Health but rather contracted and working onsite I have a slightly unique view of the company.

- Decent, new office space
     - good amenities such as a fitness center offered for free to building employees
     - Generally quiet working environment (office space with phone usage)

Cons

- Do NOT accept a position here expecting to get a promotion and a raise.
     - Expect that what you are doing and earning on day 1 is what you will leave the company with. I've heard from so many employees who have told me they make the same or little more than they did with 5+ years of service then get passed over for a promotion only to have that higher-level position filled by a recent college graduate with no management or healthcare field experience.
     - Expect that if you are promoted (because they cannot find anyone to hire for that position) that you WILL be given more responsibility, be given a laptop and expected to work FOR FREE during OFF HOURS and do so without a pay increase. Yes I've seen that happen numerous times and people have after a few weeks then declined the promotion and/or quit.

- Until there is a MASSIVE change in culture do NOT expect to be happy here.

Advice to Management

- Quit acting like you know everything; you know nothing.
     - Quit acting like those under you are idiots; there are so many people who genuinely care about the company and the people they serve who continuously get overlooked.
     - Quit acting like you are taking an interest in improving the company by asking for user input unless you are going to use the feedback.
     - Pay talent what it is worth and reward experience and skill or top talent will continue to flee.

"Understaffed!"

Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Patient Registrar in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

sick time, decent insurance, and pto

Cons

Corporate management only hears from other management on site and it doesn't seem like corporate years what's going on. Site management doesn't want to listen to people coming to them with actual problems in their tech. Changes in processes are not addressed appropriately. Most management is an inner circle of friends, if you are not in the clique you will not move forward. If you show you can be dependable and know what you're doing you will have extra work piled on with no compensation. While others that continually show they cannot do their job are completely ignored and not retrained, they are given empty threats of action being taken then told they will be retrained on aspects they need help on, the retraining never happens. Can't keep people it's constantly understaffed. Unfair expectations, that some are actually held accountable for and others seem to just get away with.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring from your own mgmt pool, while I enjoy that fact we can get a hire bonus for people we refer, it is a policy that has bread a very cliquey work culture and when management comes off confrontational and not approachable it makes them very hard to work for. They don't listen to people that are doing the daily work, and 9 times out of 10 don't even know the processes that we are working with. Train your people and train the better, and have a training team that actually listens!

"You can do better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Southfield, MI

Pros

Benefits are great. The staff is great to work with.

Cons

Management and the Ops Leads are horrible just walking around with laptops all day not knowing how to fix anything.Advancement in the company sucks you can't get anywhere. They want you to sit in the same seat for years.

Advice to Management

Management does not speak to their staff. They are disrespectful. Always wanting quantity over quality you out source our work to the BSO in India.Who just so happens to mess things up and expect for the CBO to correct and fix the mistakes no giving us any credit for the millions we bring to these facilities we are bringing revenue to.

"AVOID!!"

Former Employee - Patient Financial Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI
    Former Employee - Patient Financial Counselor in Kalamazoo, MI

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None really come to mind.

Cons

Avoid the Kalamazoo Michigan location of this company like the plague! Middle-management is a joke, office atmosphere is like high school, you have to account for every second of your day so God help you if you have to go to the bathroom too much. Very stressful job for very little pay. You have to fight for every dollar commission that you earn. Horrible experience.

Advice to Management

Take a good hard look at your department leads and basically all middle-management. Nepotism runs rampant, and there is a level of incompetence that is just stunning.

"Terrible Environment..."

Pros

Pay was good, benefits were ok

Cons

Backstabbing co-workers, management favored men

"Miserable place"

Former Employee - Medical Biller - Follow-Up Specialist in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Medical Biller - Follow-Up Specialist in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location in the loop! The office is close to all public trans, not to mention near great places for lunch and shopping.

Cons

Backstabbing, negatively competitive, horrible managers who were promoted undeservingly based on personal connections. Clique-ish management. Mature hourly employees are treated like second-class citizens. I would discourage anyone from working here.

Advice to Management

Bring in consultants to COMPLETELY overhaul culture