Accretive Health Reviews | Glassdoor

Accretive Health Reviews

Updated April 26, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Amazing work-life balance in the Finance team (in 16 reviews)

• It was great to have the ability to work from home or the office (in 9 reviews)

"More bad than good"

Current Employee - Employee in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Employee in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay for young adults
    Great training program
    Opportunities to work with various individuals across the company

Cons

When I came to accretive I was familiar with the Minnesota fiasco and negative media attention which wasn't enough to steer me away from the company but since my time with accretive Ive seen trends that have raised my brow.

Frequent changes in head management there have been 3-4 in the last year at my site
    Constant turn over
    extremely poor attitude towards hourly staff workers
    Various Type A personalities hiring is the norm and most people are unpleasant to work with
    Poor decision making

Advice to Management

Now there's the possibility of a buyout or organizational collapse which is very troubling. The only aspect of business that appears to be shining bright is the shared services centers. At this point I don't know the direction the company is heading, but based on company wide meetings and no true signs of success it isn't looking good . It's very unfortunate that misguided decision making over the years in the company has placed you in this situation.

I would recommend that you have more balance in those you hire to lead and develop better organizational structure

2. "Decent place to work. Also room for improvement"

Current Employee - Insurance Billing Verification in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Insurance Billing Verification in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Downtown location. Flexible hours open 8:30a.m.- 9p.m. Full and part time positions, flexible for college students. Good place to gain experience

Cons

Expensive sub standard health insurance. Training can be an issue. Pending Ascension Health buying the company or disassociate from them altogether.

Advice to Management

Training will hopefully improve with recent FCC changes, positive rehabilitation training before write-ups & petty tactics.

"Run away"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Accretive Health (Less than a year)

Pros

Great view of downtown Chicago from Michigan Ave.

Cons

No strategic direction for business growth.

Advice to Management

Dissolve the company

"Was A Market Marvel, now a sinking ship"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

We have some great and dedicated people working here, its the only thing that is keeping this company running. I am amazed that after all the downsizing and changes that these dedicated employees still continue to produce amazing results. Thank goodness for all those retention bonuses!!!

Cons

We have had many changes here, and some have been for the best of the company and some have not, that said the current C-suite leadership, only a couple have actually moved to Chicago? why not? With retentions and bonuses C suite is pretty well off!! and with the current sale actions, lets just say they are very enticed to $tay! This company has not had a new sale in over 3 years our sales team is non existant and always has since the new "lack of strategy officer" my advice is if you are hurting for a job and want decent money for a bit, come on over!!

Advice to Management

Keep your mouths shut, all you spew is lies, distractions and deflect the truth, you are running this company into the ground, you should be ashamed of your selfish acts

"Need true leadership"

I worked at Accretive Health full-time

Pros

Decent compensation
    Great time-off benefits
    Flexibility to work from home

Cons

Change is the only constant thing at Accretive Health and that is because leaders like to make snap decisions with no thought or strategy behind them. Then 2 months later they will decide it was a bad decision and change course. Kind of ironic that the word "strategy" is bantered about but no one seems to know the definition of the word.

Leadership also needs to allow people to do the jobs they were hired to do instead of allowing those with clout the cability to interject their thoughts and opinions into matters that are not their area of expertise.

Roles are not defined, which goes back to the lack of strategy. There seemed to be lots of hiring for the sake of building teams (the bigger your team, the more power you have) but no actual need for the hires and not enough work to keep them busy.

Advice to Management

Learn to build a business case for every single decision that is made that involves the spending of company money. With no new business coming in and clients leaving, it's time for true fiscal responsibility.

"It Was Time To Go - My Advice is To Stay Far Away From This Place."

Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Operations Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Accretive Health full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. My Teammates were really good - I like them very much and most of them did halfway decent work.
    2. Initially, the work was very interesting - regularly learning and discovering new things all the time and contributing in a meaningful way the company did business.

Cons

1. The company is being sold - made it hard to focus on the day-to-day with so much uncertainty. Also made it hard to keep people. Before I left, people were dropping like flies.

2. Many Executive Leaders Do Nothing to contribute to the firm - very few of them have the experience and capability to actually improve the output of their teams - Anger/Demands/Intimidation is just not leadership. Even fewer are able to keep your clients happy. The shame is, these are the same people that have been around for years.

3. Highest Level Executives seem to be doing a good job giving themselves millions in performance and retention bonuses (check Accretive's SEC filings) - at the same time Accretive is losing business and profits. While I understand this practice is commonplace, I would find it less offensive if they actually managed to turn the company around or improve the business. These people simply aren't trustworthy.

4. It's Basically Nortel Part 2 - looks like these guys didn't learn anything the first time - or they learned that a struggling company can be very personally profitable.

4. Customer Satisfaction is low - You promise the moon, but simply don't deliver it.

Advice to Management

1. C-Suite: You guys came in, but effectively changed nothing because you leaned on the same people that got Accretive here in the first place. The executive ranks are littered with folks who collect a paycheck by doing very little work or fail to contribute to the company in a significant way. They talk a a great game - not sure what they really do.

2. The NDA is ridiculous - It's basically Illegal and has never stood up in court. Ditch it.

3. C-Suite: You guys ran around trying to solve the wrong problems. It is clear from the customer feedback you get that you are too expensive and do not provide enough value to justify your fees. You never solved this problem by either:
     a. Figuring out how to add more value to your delivery model
     b. Taking a hard look at your pricing.
     c. Understand the value your competitors are providing - understand if you stack up.

4. Turn down your retention bonuses and use that $ to try and improve the business.

8. "Accretive"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love having the ability to be creative and working with very intelligent people. My leader helps me grow professionally.

Cons

Not a very good work life balance, I also feel like I am worth more than I am getting paid.

9. "Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Decent package.
    Not too far from union station Chicago.
    You learn what bad applicatuon architecture look like.

Cons

Stressful environment. You are always under the gun. Long hours, no appreciation.
    Mgmt makes hesty decisions and don't have clear vision. Managers are always trying to make their superiors happy and start from scratch every time new order comes from mgmt.
    Management lied when about roles and responsibilities.
    Applicationso are written in SQL Server. No or very less .NET. bad application architecture.

Advice to Management

Understand what issues employees go through.
    Make decisions based on numbers or something, don't make hesty decisions.
    Don't use general job description and don't lie about it. Tell candidates upfront what they are getting into.

"Big mess"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Accretive Health full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule and great co workers.

Cons

Never ending cycle of change, no consistency in company direction and culture is every man for them self, no team dynamic. A big mess.

Advice to Management

Good luck

"Very Disorganized"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crown Point, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Crown Point, IN

I have been working at Accretive Health (Less than a year)

Pros

- Loved the people and the flexible work hours.
    - The ability to work from home was helpful.

Cons

- The software has serious issues and developers are not interested in fixing it.
    - Responsibility for keeping the software running is passed on to employees who did not develop it and are not empowered to make changes.
    - The employee is expected to be available 24/7, but Accretive does not provide cell phones or reimburse the employee for personal cell phone use.
    - The insurance is expensive and suboptimal.
    - There are some arrogant people there who just will not believe that they made a mistake. Everyone else is expected to just adjust how they work to accomodate the mistake.
    - Work is kept in silos and those affected are not even aware that changes have been made until they have to deal with them.
    - Communication is awful.
    - Many employees refuse to attend meetings. Those meetings that do occur are all over the phone and on Lync. Rarely do people meet face to face.
    - There are certain groups within IT that are required for meetings, but just don't show up or get on the call. Much time is wasted tracking these people down just to get updates.
    - Heavy reliance on offshore workers who are apparently treated badly and so are not motivated.

Advice to Management

Get your act together.