Accruent Reviews | Glassdoor

2.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Accruent CEO John Borgerding
John Borgerding

Pros
  • Accruent offers open PTO, VTO (volunteer time off), and a 401(k) with 6% matching (in 23 reviews)

• Break room is great with fun games (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is completely out of control as well (in 11 reviews)

• Operations is a mess - while there are good people all over the place, no one really directs them (in 11 reviews)

"Great career opportunities and positive work environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After being with Accruent for over 2 years, there are many things I truly value about the company. One of those is the leadership team and how focused they have been on putting their employees first. It's no secret that 2016 was the 'year of change' for Accruent, and we did bring many new leaders on board. The new leadership team has had to answer for many systems they didn't necessarily put in place, and come up with a new plan to make our company more successful in 2017. They've done a great job at being very transparent with our company goals, revenue, and long term growth. Even if things may not be perfect, they are setting realistic expectations within the company.

Aside from a great company culture that offers health and wellness reimbursement, a new office gym, open PTO, and great training, the people are really what makes this company so spectacular. I've never worked with such supportive, intelligent people who will go out of their way to help one another. Each person brings something new to the table and truly wants to make Accruent a better place.

The other main selling points are the career opportunities. Accruent is one of the few places that offers room for growth; whether that's in your direct line of work or in a completely different department. They invest in training programs to get people up to speed and fully proficient in their roles.

Cons

As stated in the majority of the reviews here, the pay structure isn't as competitive as other software companies in the area. The reason for this is that Accruent focuses on a HPLE (high potential low experience) model and brings people on board who may not be fully qualified for their role, but who are believed to be able to get fully proficient after being trained. This gives employees opportunities to advance quickly within their career and be involved in processes like acquisitions, management roles, and take on initiatives within the company, whereas they may not get that same opportunity elsewhere. Personally, I know I could go to another company next week and make more than my current salary. However, I choose to stay here because the opportunities truly are endless and the pros of what I'm getting to do in my career far outweigh any compensation.

Advice to Management

Keep focusing on being more transparent with our company's trajectory and work on making sure the employees really understand our hiring model.

"Accruent- An Amazing Place to Work!"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Accruent is an amazing company to work for. They truly care about their employees and creating a great culture that makes people enjoy their workplace. The managers I have known well at Accruent are very trustworthy and promote an environment of growth and opportunity.

Cons

There have been complaints around Accruents lack of consistency in paying bonuses. Accruent is very transparent with their financial state to the employee base. If a bonus doesn't get paid, it should not come as a surprise. When the company is doing well which has been the majority of the time I've worked here(although I've seen bad years) they highly reward their employees for attributing to the companies financial success.

"IT"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Unlimited PTO, coworkers are great

Cons

Pay is below market value, hire inexperienced people.

Advice to Management

Pay experienced people what they're worth so you really can build a world class company

"Great entry level place to work"

Former Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Quality Assurance Associate in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, seemingly very open about their business and strategy. They did a great job of hiring and recruiting. Fun atmosphere with after work parties and employees were encouraged to volunteer in the community. It is a great place to learn and grow.

Cons

Turnover was a bit of an issue, even though the company seemed to be moving in the direction of paying more to keep good, experienced people. Lots of organizational changes just within the 16 months that I was there - many times change is good, but it seemed like we weren't trying things long enough to see if they were effective or not.

Advice to Management

I can't be too critical because they hire great people and make a lot of good business decisions. They do seem to be walking a razor thin line of keeping just enough people from an acquisition to keep it afloat, hopefully that doesn't bite them some day.

"Manager Development"

Current Employee - Manager Development in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Manager Development in Boston, MA

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people here seem to try to be honest and up front. Once a decision is made they seem to mobilize quickly to accomplish it.

Cons

Process heavy. Got the form but not the root or function. For example in trying to adopt Agile practices they have all developers following scrum practices, but are not allowing teams to form.

Advice to Management

They are on a fast pace to grow by acquisition, but they've got to figure out to maximize the people and technologies they have acquired. Or else they will end up with a big "junk drawer"

"Disconnected Exec Team - Difficult Environments"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pflugerville, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pflugerville, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really smart people to work with. Great culture. Open PTO. Happy Hour twice a month.

Cons

Work life balance is challenging at best. The executive team, specifically the CEO, is non-existent. There were many front line people in Austin that had no idea who he was. For a company the size of Accruent, that is a problem given that they pride themselves on transparency. The new CTO is a breath of fresh air and is committed to positive change but I question his ability to execute as the ship will take a long time to turn around. Many good people are leaving, which is leaving a large hole in talent.

Advice to Management

Get back to your roots of being connected with the entire company. Be open and honest. There is a growing distrust of executives in the organization that did not exist in previous iterations of the e-team.

"It's alright."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good culture, biweekly happy-hours, free snacks and coffee, fun events. A good way to get job experience if you're fresh out of college. It's a relatively small company, so it's not hard to get visibility with the C-Team.

Cons

Culture doesn't pay the bills.

They adhere to the High Potential, Low Experience (HPLE) doctrine. This is, as far as I can tell, a psychological method used to make recent graduates feel like they've "really been given a chance", while allowing the company to underpay them. Accruent also labels itself as a Meritocracy, which again seems to say "Sure, we're underpaying you now, but if you work real hard we'll definitely promote you". The thing is, most people don't stay long enough for that to matter.

Then there's the matter of bonuses. Bi-yearly bonuses sound great on paper, but if the company doesn't meet a certain percentage of its EBITDA target, the bonuses get postponed indefinitely. In all honesty, that makes perfect sense. The company can't magically produce the money to pay bonuses out of thin air. However, what the company can do is set a more realistic EBITDA target.

Most people I've spoken to are unhappy with their compensation. The general consensus seems to be "Get in, get your job experience, and get out".

Advice to Management

Culture is cool, but money motivates. People would probably be more likely to stick around if you paid more competitively.

"Mixed emotions"

Former Employee - Functional Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Functional Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent (More than a year)

Pros

Good company for fresh grads.
    Nice atmosphere young and vibrant

Cons

Very low pay.
    High employee turnover.

Advice to Management

Pay better.

"Avoid this place"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Co-workers are great at lower levels. Most are hard-working and fun to work with.

Cons

There is a reason for the high turnover. Upper management is disconnected and can't seem to set a consistent direction. Pay is sub-par and the company culture is set up to discourage employee retention. Only the few are rewarded, and many highly motivated, top contributors are ignored.

There are not enough experienced staff to guide the just-out-of-college newbies, leading to a growing backlog of code-debt and difficult to maintain software.

"Terrible company to work for!"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

If you are straight out of college, there are some interesting opportunities if you are willing to work long hours with below average pay. They have a lot of t-shirt if that is your thing.

Cons

Management is incompetent and don't stay for long. If you are good at your job you are not rewarded but perceived as a threat. This company is all about high potential low experience young people. Years of experience, wisdom from maturity are not valued at all. The stack ranking is demoralizing and made me hate this place.

The product roadmap is nothing more than smoke and mirrors. There are too many products, they don't communicate with each other and no one knows what any of them do or which markets they serve. Communication is non-existent. A sales rep was actually selling a product that had been discontinued but no one ever bothered to tell him.

At the annual customer conference sales staff can attend but are not allowed to eat with the customers. They are not even given enough per diem to cover meals at the conference hotel. They have to leave the hotel to find a fast food meal they can afford.

They make you take a personality test to decide your "color". They talk about culture being the most important factor at Accruent but it is just lip service. The whole experience of working at Accruent was depressing and demoralizing from beginning to end.

Oh and forget about ever getting a bonus!

Advice to Management

Stop acquiring companies and just consolidate your story on what you already own. Don't make acquisitions just to maintain EBIDTA.

Appreciate your experienced staff!