Accruent Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Accruent CEO John Borgerding
John Borgerding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also, the open PTO is a very real thing, and I have not ever had any problems with taking time off" (in 29 reviews)

• "Excellent work/life balance in most roles" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is a bit challenging but management is working on fixing it" (in 12 reviews)

• "The comp is well under market value and they will backfill former employees at 10% under their last salary which is already low" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place for Career Growth"

Current Employee - Product Marketing
    Current Employee - Product Marketing

I have been working at Accruent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a really exciting time to be part of Accruent. They are growing extremely fast and recently there have been some tremendous new leaders and talent that have joined Accruent to ensure that this company continues to grow. The pace can prove to be an extremely fast pace but as someone who likes to stay busy and challenged, I really like that about Accruent. For my department, there have been tremendous strides in the past year because of the vision of our new leader and we have become a much more dynamic department than in years past. I also feel as if my manager will go to bat for me in tough situations and that they have my back, which is always a good thing. Also, the open PTO is a very real thing, and I have not ever had any problems with taking time off. The thing that is the best part of Accruent is definitely the peers and coworkers. Accruent really fosters a very family-like environment for being a bigger company, and I have made several friends during my time here. I have been able to see my career grow at Accruent and have been provided opportunities that I would not receive anywhere else.

Cons

Like several growing companies, the pace can be very fast and to work here you have to be extremely flexible. Priorities can shift at a moment's notice and you have to be willing and able to quickly move with changing priorities. As other reviews mentioned, if you are looking for a stagnant job where it's the same thing every day than Accruent isn't for you.

2. "Great place to grow"

Current Employee - Senior Consultant
    Current Employee - Senior Consultant

I have been working at Accruent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company works very hard to establish a good culture and keep people engaged. There are tons of growth opportunities and people can move between departments if they have that desire. You don't feel like you are stuck in one position until you leave. It is an established company but feels start up in nature and a fun environment.

Cons

There is a bit of turnover since people can move to different positions rapidly. The company was also recently acquired by a public company, so there may be some tightening down the road.

Advice to Management

Don't let Fortive mess up a good thing by changing too many things that make the company great. If you start to make it feel like a corporate environment you are going to lose that.

"A decent stepping stone to start your career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They a generally good for those looking for career changes, or willing to accept under-paying salaries for an opportunity to get a start in a field. They do have some good in-office perks, comfortable unlimited PTO, flexible schedule, standard package for health/retirement.

Cons

Really bad at keeping employees happy after a certain amount of time. They do not make much effort to ensure current employee happiness. Career progression is based on how aggressive you can market yourself to your manager and to those in the next tier or two. Salary increments are also the same case as you're not guaranteed a fair salary increase each year. Management will argue that they have a limited budget and only able to give a certain amount. However, this is not true after several employees were able to argue that their skills were valuable enough to merit a salary bump and some were only able to get it after showing alternative job offers from other companies with the offered salary.
    After leaving Accruent, it's now evident that they don't care for former employees either. Their 401k practices are unacceptable when they intentionally roll over former 401k accounts into IRAs without former employee's consent or at least a letter of notification prior to the occurrence.

4. "Great Environment, Great People"

Pros

A shared mission and vision drives the work at Accruent, and a very nice culture informs the path to achieving those goals. Co-workers are generally very smart, driven, and collaborative. The office is wonderful, though huge, and provides an open environment which doesn't feel claustrophobic or intrusive (though, people who hate open offices will still find that it isn't ideal for privacy or the need for solitude).

Cons

Compensation during my tenure was definitely on the low side, and depending on the role, there may not be much room for advancement.

5. "Business Development Rep"

I have been working at Accruent full-time

Pros

Career Advancement is very possible here.

Cons

No training is accesible for those who need it.

Advice to Management

Get more trainers, not managers.

6. "Good Stepping Stone"

I worked at Accruent full-time

Pros

Great place to get work experience, great people

Cons

Low pay relative to market

7. "Fun place to work and good opportunities to grow your career"

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is honestly a fun place to work. I’ve worked places that had a bad culture and this isn’t one of them. The people you work with are more like friends than just coworkers and you’ll likely make life long friends here. If you want to learn about software and acquisitions this is a great place to learn the ropes.

It’s a meritocracy, so they reward the achievers. Take that how you will, but it’s kind of choose your own adventure and you can achieve if you want to.

You will actually get to know many of the execs if you want to. Many of them genuinely want to have a positive impact on your career and care about their teams.

Cons

Their pay is below market, but they do give opportunities to people that might not get them elsewhere. While you’ll learn a lot it really is like being thrown in to sink or swim. This is a job for people that want a challenge. Again take that as you will.

Advice to Management

Don’t lose sight of the culture as you grow. Remember that your people are your greatest asset. Employee satisfaction is more important than EBITDA and other company metrics.

Promote from within. There’s some amazing talent here and the cost of losing people can be high so make sure you recognize that. Don’t wait til the wheels squeak and respond. Communication is EVERYTHING. Informed employees that feel like what they think and feel matter are happy employees.

"Dying culture, poor salaries"

I worked at Accruent (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Accruent are great. I have made friends and connections I will keep for years (although many of the best have left the company).

There are good opportunities for career change and career growth at Accruent, more than at any other company I have worked at. They will hire people with little job experience if they are a culture fit and show strong potential. They are a great opportunity to those looking to change careers or just starting out.

The benefits are good, especially the open PTO and overall work/life balance.

Cons

The employee turnover rate is terrible at Accruent, somewhere in the 30% range. The leadership blames the turnover on external factors, like the competitive job market, but the problems are internal.

The culture isn’t what it used to be. A few years ago culture, values, and employee morale were a major driving force of the company. There were frequent company sponsored events, constant communications about the status and direction of the company, and leadership made it a point to get to know people. Everyone was made to feel that they had a place within the company. The culture is now no longer a priority. Company sponsored events have been downgraded or quietly removed from the calendar. Perks and benefits have been withdrawn or replaced with lessor alternatives. Communications from leadership has become superficial. There is little company-wide unity. Don’t be fooled by the gym and free snacks.

Salaries are well below market. If you get an offer they will lowball your salary request, and if you take the job don’t listen to the claims about opportunity to raise that salary. Raises are rare and even with promotions you will still make less than average. The company also has a history of laying off employees who joined through acquisitions only because they make market level salaries.

Innovation and new product development is not a priority. Any new development work is small, superficial, and incremental. Teams so do whatever they can to maintain the aging software, and often there aren’t enough people or people with the right skills to do that, meaning promised repairs or upgrades are slow or never happen.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, invest in your products, follow through with your promises.

9. "Great Place to Learn & Grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The way Accruent is set up (the type of people we look to hire, the volume of the workload, the exposure to multiple aspects of the business, the need to stretch yourself and your knowledge) WILL give you a great opportunity to build and/or strengthen your career.

This in my opinion is the biggest reason to not only work at Accruent, but to continue working here for some time. It feels like going to a gym called “work”, because you are building up your skills every day.

You will meet some of the best teammates you’ve ever had. This is a credit to recruiting being so consistent with the talent profile we look to bring in.

Cons

Accruent changes a lot — often. Some have even said “if you don’t like something at Accruent, give it 6 months because it will change anyway”.

This isn’t necessarily a “con” but it is something to be aware of, because the opposite could also be true. If you love a direction we’re headed or a project you’re really excited about, understand that it’s very likely that it could lose focus/support/momentum in 6 months or less.

Also, understand timing — the season/chapter the company is currently in. We had our biggest years of headcount growth and geographical expansion in 2017 & 2018. Unfortunately, over the last 12+ months, our commitment to having a well-staffed global training team has taken a seat at the back of the bus.

HR and Recruiting have seen a significant investment recently in 2018 to match our growth, so hopefully Training is next in line because it’s one of the key pillars of the culture.

Advice to Management

Decide what type of People Leadership culture you want to have and commit to (re)building that culture in a very impactful and inspiring way.

In most cases, the best thing you can give your people (more than money) is an opportunity to work under a great leader. Their guidance, their feedback, their challenges, their passion, all of these things and more are what drive people to do their best and continue to improve.

This is something that Accruent did very well in 2015-2016, because it was a tremendous focus for us. Our COO was loud and clear about the message — “we owe you a great manager”. He then set in motion programs and initiatives to support that commitment.

C-Team members and Execs willfully gave their time to support this as well. Not only did they attend training sessions, but they also helped lead them and took time to work with the Training team to develop their sessions.

You could tell that it was personal for most of them, that your individual success mattered to them and by extension — to the company as a whole.

"A distribution channel - not a tech company"

Current Employee - Engineering Manager
    Current Employee - Engineering Manager

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acquired good companies that built good products before Accruent came around.

Cons

A bigger sales brochure does not make a company better. The low cost labor strategy will soon affect custoners and reduce the value of the acquired products. Our company lost key people and continues to see the good staff looking for external opportunities while poorly qualified Accuent staff try to learn on the job. The sales center culture of Accruent Austin is incapable of sustaining good products or knowledgable support and services. As a purchased employee, I see no upside for our customers or our staff from being part of Accruent.

Advice to Management

Recognize you purchased teams that did what you could not do yourself. You are a sales organization at best. Stay out of the enineering and support and services team that built the products and customer base. Your staff is incapable of sustaining those products. Let the purchased businesses run their business while you serve as a distribution channel.