Accruent Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Accruent CEO John Borgerding
John Borgerding

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Also, the open PTO is a very real thing, and I have not ever had any problems with taking time off" (in 29 reviews)

• "Excellent work/life balance in most roles" (in 12 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life balance is a bit challenging but management is working on fixing it" (in 12 reviews)

• "The comp is well under market value and they will backfill former employees at 10% under their last salary which is already low" (in 13 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place for Career Growth"

Current Employee - Product Marketing
    Current Employee - Product Marketing

I have been working at Accruent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a really exciting time to be part of Accruent. They are growing extremely fast and recently there have been some tremendous new leaders and talent that have joined Accruent to ensure that this company continues to grow. The pace can prove to be an extremely fast pace but as someone who likes to stay busy and challenged, I really like that about Accruent. For my department, there have been tremendous strides in the past year because of the vision of our new leader and we have become a much more dynamic department than in years past. I also feel as if my manager will go to bat for me in tough situations and that they have my back, which is always a good thing. Also, the open PTO is a very real thing, and I have not ever had any problems with taking time off. The thing that is the best part of Accruent is definitely the peers and coworkers. Accruent really fosters a very family-like environment for being a bigger company, and I have made several friends during my time here. I have been able to see my career grow at Accruent and have been provided opportunities that I would not receive anywhere else.

Cons

Like several growing companies, the pace can be very fast and to work here you have to be extremely flexible. Priorities can shift at a moment's notice and you have to be willing and able to quickly move with changing priorities. As other reviews mentioned, if you are looking for a stagnant job where it's the same thing every day than Accruent isn't for you.

2. "Great culture and great people!"

I have been working at Accruent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First and foremost, I love the people that I get to work with on a regular basis! They are some of the most fantastic people I have worked with to date. Second, I feel like I am given a lot of responsibility and have autonomy in my role which makes me feel valued as an employee. Last, Accruent has a very flexible work environment which is great as a working mother. I truly love the culture and working environment which far outweighs any of the cons of working at Accruent.

Cons

The pace is very fast. I don't really see this as a con though. I like the challenge of working at a fast pace!

3. "Business Development Rep"

I have been working at Accruent full-time

Pros

Career Advancement is very possible here.

Cons

No training is accesible for those who need it.

Advice to Management

Get more trainers, not managers.

4. "Good Stepping Stone"

I worked at Accruent full-time

Pros

Great place to get work experience, great people

Cons

Low pay relative to market

5. "Fun place to work and good opportunities to grow your career"

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

It is honestly a fun place to work. I’ve worked places that had a bad culture and this isn’t one of them. The people you work with are more like friends than just coworkers and you’ll likely make life long friends here. If you want to learn about software and acquisitions this is a great place to learn the ropes.

It’s a meritocracy, so they reward the achievers. Take that how you will, but it’s kind of choose your own adventure and you can achieve if you want to.

You will actually get to know many of the execs if you want to. Many of them genuinely want to have a positive impact on your career and care about their teams.

Cons

Their pay is below market, but they do give opportunities to people that might not get them elsewhere. While you’ll learn a lot it really is like being thrown in to sink or swim. This is a job for people that want a challenge. Again take that as you will.

Advice to Management

Don’t lose sight of the culture as you grow. Remember that your people are your greatest asset. Employee satisfaction is more important than EBITDA and other company metrics.

Promote from within. There’s some amazing talent here and the cost of losing people can be high so make sure you recognize that. Don’t wait til the wheels squeak and respond. Communication is EVERYTHING. Informed employees that feel like what they think and feel matter are happy employees.

6. "Great Place to Learn & Grow"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The way Accruent is set up (the type of people we look to hire, the volume of the workload, the exposure to multiple aspects of the business, the need to stretch yourself and your knowledge) WILL give you a great opportunity to build and/or strengthen your career.

This in my opinion is the biggest reason to not only work at Accruent, but to continue working here for some time. It feels like going to a gym called “work”, because you are building up your skills every day.

You will meet some of the best teammates you’ve ever had. This is a credit to recruiting being so consistent with the talent profile we look to bring in.

Cons

Accruent changes a lot — often. Some have even said “if you don’t like something at Accruent, give it 6 months because it will change anyway”.

This isn’t necessarily a “con” but it is something to be aware of, because the opposite could also be true. If you love a direction we’re headed or a project you’re really excited about, understand that it’s very likely that it could lose focus/support/momentum in 6 months or less.

Also, understand timing — the season/chapter the company is currently in. We had our biggest years of headcount growth and geographical expansion in 2017 & 2018. Unfortunately, over the last 12+ months, our commitment to having a well-staffed global training team has taken a seat at the back of the bus.

HR and Recruiting have seen a significant investment recently in 2018 to match our growth, so hopefully Training is next in line because it’s one of the key pillars of the culture.

Advice to Management

Decide what type of People Leadership culture you want to have and commit to (re)building that culture in a very impactful and inspiring way.

In most cases, the best thing you can give your people (more than money) is an opportunity to work under a great leader. Their guidance, their feedback, their challenges, their passion, all of these things and more are what drive people to do their best and continue to improve.

This is something that Accruent did very well in 2015-2016, because it was a tremendous focus for us. Our COO was loud and clear about the message — “we owe you a great manager”. He then set in motion programs and initiatives to support that commitment.

C-Team members and Execs willfully gave their time to support this as well. Not only did they attend training sessions, but they also helped lead them and took time to work with the Training team to develop their sessions.

You could tell that it was personal for most of them, that your individual success mattered to them and by extension — to the company as a whole.

"Dying culture, poor salaries"

I worked at Accruent (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at Accruent are great. I have made friends and connections I will keep for years (although many of the best have left the company).

There are good opportunities for career change and career growth at Accruent, more than at any other company I have worked at. They will hire people with little job experience if they are a culture fit and show strong potential. They are a great opportunity to those looking to change careers or just starting out.

The benefits are good, especially the open PTO and overall work/life balance.

Cons

The employee turnover rate is terrible at Accruent, somewhere in the 30% range. The leadership blames the turnover on external factors, like the competitive job market, but the problems are internal.

The culture isn’t what it used to be. A few years ago culture, values, and employee morale were a major driving force of the company. There were frequent company sponsored events, constant communications about the status and direction of the company, and leadership made it a point to get to know people. Everyone was made to feel that they had a place within the company. The culture is now no longer a priority. Company sponsored events have been downgraded or quietly removed from the calendar. Perks and benefits have been withdrawn or replaced with lessor alternatives. Communications from leadership has become superficial. There is little company-wide unity. Don’t be fooled by the gym and free snacks.

Salaries are well below market. If you get an offer they will lowball your salary request, and if you take the job don’t listen to the claims about opportunity to raise that salary. Raises are rare and even with promotions you will still make less than average. The company also has a history of laying off employees who joined through acquisitions only because they make market level salaries.

Innovation and new product development is not a priority. Any new development work is small, superficial, and incremental. Teams so do whatever they can to maintain the aging software, and often there aren’t enough people or people with the right skills to do that, meaning promised repairs or upgrades are slow or never happen.

Advice to Management

Invest in your people, invest in your products, follow through with your promises.

8. "Accruent | Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Accruent has fostered a fun, collaborative, and flexible working environment that has been great for my professional and personal life. I am in an entry-level position, however every day my voice is heard and opinion valued by all areas of the business. BDR is a Marketing position that generates leads for the Sales team. However, I have regular interaction with Sales, Support, Customer Sucess, Proposals, Management each and every week. The visibility and communication into the rest of the business creates great networking and career-building opportunities. Anyone looking to get into the tech/software industry should heavily consider Accruent because of all the experience and mentoring that the employees here bring with them.
    Additionally, the flexible work environment has been paramount. The idea here is "we trust you, as long as you get your work done, your time is yours". That is the mentality I have. I am highly motivated to get my work done efficiently because I know that if I have an emergency pop up, a flat tire on the way to work, or a simple doctor's appointment, I don't have to chip away at my annual PTO allotment - it's unlimited!
    Lastly, Accruent heavily invests in Culture. Every month, (multiple times) they have dedicated themed-events that are a time where we can all relax, get to know each other, and have fun. I genuinely look forward to hanging out with my coworkers after work.

Cons

There is a high turnover rate at the BDR position, which makes it difficult to nail down any real traction with team building or long-term sales strategy. This is a good problem, however, because BDRs often move on to better positions within their career goals. It is just a nuisance to try and onboard new BDRs every other month while making headway on sales as well. Something to be aware of before applying - you may get plucked away to a better position or to another department.

Advice to Management

Fostering a fun environment that centers around getting work done effectively and on time is key. Employees love the fact that we all have an understanding of when to work hard and when to kick back and have fun.

9. "People and Career Growth are Top Notch"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There isn't a single person I don't enjoy working with at Accruent. I've been here for more than 3 years and feel supported by my team, manager and other departments I work with regularly. Not to mention the fact that everyone here is smart, up for all of the challenges we're faced with, and are friendly to one another. This includes our executive/c-team who have a real open door policy and are engaged with the employees. Two of the people who have been instrumental in this are Meg Swanson, our CMO who started earlier this year and Kirk Orgeldinger, our CFO who's been here for 6+ years. Both of them have been great culture advocates and have changed a lot of the perceptions around the c-team.

I have experienced more opportunity for growth at Accruent than any company I've previously worked for, whether that be in the form of a title change or a new project I've been entrusted with. Because of our many acquisitions, we are constantly getting new opportunities or challenges to overcome. We've also experienced a tremendous amount of growth as a company, which means we've gotten to upgrade our resources.

I love coming to work every day because I'm consistently challenged, I'm trusted with major problems to solve, I (and my team) are treated with respect from the executives, and I truly enjoy the people I work with. I also have a great work life balance that I set and am able to actually check out of work when I take PTO.

Cons

As some of the other reviews have mentioned, we are constantly going through a series of changes due to the high number of acquisitions we're involved in. It causes a lot of extra work on our teams and can be exhausting at times. While this does bring a lot of opportunity, it also results in added stress and can be too much for some. Accruent is a very fast paced environment and isn't meant for people who are interested in a simple 9-5.

It's no secret that our comp philosophy isn't where it needs to be across the board, especially when we're comparing ourselves to other tech companies in the area. It's been discussed and is hopefully changing in the positive direction, but it definitely is an issue for some of our teams.

Advice to Management

Focus on raising the compensation for our teams. Otherwise, it'll continue to be a struggle to retain great employees. Continue to be engaged in our culture across all offices, not just Austin.

"Accruent"

Pros

Good Experience, good career builder

Cons

Lack of stability but it is nothing out of the ordinary