Accruent Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Accruent CEO John Borgerding
John Borgerding

Pros
  • Accruent offers open PTO, VTO (volunteer time off), and a 401(k) with 6% matching (in 23 reviews)

• Break room is great with fun games (in 18 reviews)

Cons
  • The work/life balance is completely out of control as well (in 11 reviews)

• Operations is a mess - while there are good people all over the place, no one really directs them (in 11 reviews)

"Acquisition Oriented"

Current Employee - Manager, Engineering in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Manager, Engineering in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Committed to maturing the software development processes.

Cons

Very acquisition oriented which has lead to some lack of product vision across all the varied/yet similar products that have been acquired.

Advice to Management

Continue to push clear product visions for ALL the products at Accruent.

"Same old, same old"

I worked at Accruent full-time

Pros

Decent culture, nice people, constant change, the usual perks for a software company in Austin.

Cons

Owners, leaders, people, and strategies all change constantly. But the results and outcomes don't. Anyone worth a darn can do better than this place. Do yourself a favor and avoid this place.

"Fake reviews"

I worked at Accruent full-time

Pros

The fake 5* reviews are so obvious and could only be written by shills for management. There are some good people there and the office is nice. Game room, snacks, benefits, and attempts by HR to make things better are admirable. But the good people are fighting an uphill battle. It's sad, as it could and should be better.

Cons

Far too many to list. The best leaders leave. The best people leave as soon as they figure out they can do better. Turnover is a nightmare. Pay is laughable. No product strategy. The company is shrinking organically and only survives by acquisition. But those acquisitions are never properly integrated, the products are silos, investment in products/people are nil, and they continue to milk the EBITDA out of everything. It really is a miserable place and I feel bad for some of the good people who are still stuck there.

Advice to Management

It doesn't matter what anyone tells management. They are tone deaf and lack self-awareness. This began with the founder and continues today. Don't expect it to change.

"If your company was just purchased by Accruent, beware."

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Minneapolis, MN

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Open ePTO policy. Plentiful free drinks and snacks in the break-room. Great coworkers (Minneapolis location, most from pre-acquisition). If it's your first job it seems like it might be a good opportunity to build out your resume.

Cons

Working for a great company that was recently acquired by Accruent, it was a stark reality to see all the great things about working there rapidly stripped away. On day one of the acquisition they laid off 45% of the company including the senior leadership. And we were immediately promised that while it was a deep cut, they preferred to do it all at once and that there will not be another layoff round. There was another layoff round. The remaining employees were heavily encouraged to leave so that they could be replaced by lower paid people, I was told this verbatim by my manager. Except the replacements never come because of how low the offers are, even if they get past the required IQ test, which many do not. We were told good things were coming and to stick with it until the review process to make our decision. They tout this as a "Meritocracy", I was rated well and received barely a cost of living raise, many of my peers received nothing. A ladder or stack rank (rank and yank) is bad enough but they do not even fund the raise pools. Benefits were also cut (save for the actually nice ePTO policy). The new management was either not engaged or outright abusive, creating an atmosphere laden with fear and politics. The manager of my department changed 4 times in 6 months, and none of them acted like they were invested in their job and only seemed focused on getting the next position. In fact almost every interaction with senior leadership I can recall is just them speaking very transparent lies in order to get the meeting over with. My advice is that if your company was just purchased by Accruent to start looking for a new job immediately, they are about to gut your company and let the corpse bleed out.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees fairly. A churn and burn type management style is not sustainable especially when it's not possible for comp you provide to even keep up with inflation, and that is if you're a rock star. Any software company across the street is guaranteed to pay more, and is hiring. I worked at the company you acquired for 5 years and it was good enough I hoped to retire there, within 6 months of the acquisition I was looking for a new job.

5. "Fully of energy, positive 2017"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

2017 has started off with a bang. A number of new leaders in the organization have set the strategy and product vision on a great path going forward. I have found the new CTO a breath of fresh air, honest and open to listening to the challenges we face. The VP of Engineering is fantastically relatable, understands the development process an is building a great culture

Cons

There i a lot going on in the organization as with any growth company, keep up with the open communication and make sure you double down on the product strategy this year

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the teams in the field, focus on the products that matter.

"You'll be better off somewhere else."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There's free snacks, company parties, a company gym, some pretty good coworkers, it's a decent way to pad your resume, and Accruent donates to quite a few charities.

Cons

A multitude of executive, managerial, and organizational changes have been happening lately, causing a turbulent atmosphere at Accruent. More than one of the new executives and managers were friends with the CEO outside of Accruent, or friends with one of the CEO's friends who was also previously hired. It could be that these people are actually the most qualified of those who applied, but it certainly doesn't feel that way.

The pay is atrocious (unless you're in upper-management). The original offer for my last position was in the bottom 10th percentile for the same job in the Austin area. People leave all the time for better-paying jobs, which means talent retention is low.

You'll be hired on for a specific set of duties, then they'll throw more jobs your way that weren't in your job description with no pay increase and no semblance of thanks. There is a severe lack of communication between departments which has lead to important messages not being delivered to the people who will be affected until they're already being affected.

Oh, right, then there's the mass firings out of nowhere. Thanks for that.

Advice to Management

Pay people what they're worth so they don't leave, hire people for specific jobs instead of throwing those jobs on existing employees, and fix your communication issues.

"Market Leader wtih Winning Culture and Customer Focus"

Current Employee - Back Office in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Back Office in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong team dynamic with several significant new leadership hires over the last year who appear to be focused on building this company and its unique position in the real estate and facilities management software business for the long term. Opportunity and runway abound for those looking to grow and advance organically in a dynamic environment. Love my co-workers!

Cons

Active acquirer of new companies can lead to spikes in work and late nights for certain teams and employees, but in the process it provides opportunities to learn the business and expand skills.

Advice to Management

Continue to sharpen the company's focus and build our foundation for accelerating growth!

"Symbiotic is how I'd describe this company."

Current Employee - Support Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Support Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People at the company are kind and smart. You get to do lots of things, if you position yourself right.

Cons

Leadership makes sudden choices. There are mass firings that happen overnight with no explanation. They are many that skate for years below the radar and yet somehow have tremendous clout.

Advice to Management

When a leader shows you traits that they have no integrity, watch closely.

"Engineers should avoid"

I worked at Accruent full-time

Pros

Free snacks and coffee, decent culture

Cons

Financially driven company motivated by EBITDA and executive bonuses. All products are barely in maintenance mode. Employees are constantly let go due to financial reasons and not performance. No real talent.

Advice to Management

Streamline decision making, reduce politics and focus on employees

"Lunch pail place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Accruent full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid benefits, good work life balance, completely and overtly average.

Cons

Really old tech. No real funding to improve anything. Your experience will be 100% a roll of a dice. You could land on a stable product with good people and your day will be a cake walk, or you could land on a "flagship" product riddled with tech debt and stress with no real commitment to fix it.

Advice to Management

Modernize the stack and you will bring in and retain more talent.