AccuQuilt Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. Featured Review

"WARNING... You'll NEVER find a better job/employer!!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Customer Service Advocate in Omaha, NE

I worked at AccuQuilt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

After spending close to 8 years in the military followed by 10 years as a stay at home mom, I was fearful I wouldn’t find my place in the workplace again. Wow, was I mistaken! I never imagined I’d be part of a team in the private sector where your workmates are as energetic & passionate about a company & its products as they are at AccuQuilt!
    The company is growing & growing quickly… the success of any company relies heavily on its employees. Should a weed enter the garden, the gardener quickly removes it to avoid its natural tendency to spread rapidly… no different than a negative, non-productive employee… negativity & laziness can easily spread like an ugly weed. Advice of the year, don’t be a weed! If you are a go-getter & love your job, it will be reflective in your work & you truly are treated as an asset… as family even.
    That brings me to another point… “FAMILY FIRST”. I could list numerous instances of their Family First motto… one defining moment, I had to unexpectedly leave to care for my mom on hospice 800 miles away… I was away from my job for 30+ days… upon her death, I was told to take whatever time I needed. I received nothing but support & prayers from my bosses & coworkers during this time.
    There are few companies where you can tell the President & co-workers you love them like family… that’s the type of bond that can grow at the AccuQuilt family.
    By the way, I worked Customer Service. In OTHER companies, it can be a very un-appreciated position, our bosses empowered us to make decisions based upon the need and situation of each customer as an individual. They value the input and feedback of all no matter the position or pay scale. I’ll most definitely miss my AccuQuilt family… quite positive no other job or employer will ever measure up!

Cons

The warehouse is a little suffocating in the summer... they need an a/c system or a dunk tank!

Advice to Management

No advice... just gratitude for the opportunity to have been part of an amazing team!

"Shipping and Receiving"

Former Contractor - Upper Management in Omaha, NE
    Former Contractor - Upper Management in Omaha, NE

I worked at AccuQuilt as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Family Orientated, Client Focused, Mission Driven

Cons

Couldn't meet salary expectation, however that's not really a con just had to put something

Advice to Management

Since 1997 I had worked in Child Welfare/Juvenile Justice, working my way up to Vice President at a multi-human service agency in Omaha. Because of a Legislative bill being passed funding was cut and my position was eliminated. I was given a nice severance package, as we all know money doesn’t last forever. Employment was difficult to find, I needed some income so I went to a temp agency. Shortly after applying the temp agency contacted me and I was sent to AccuQuilt. Never working in a warehouse setting before or even for a quilting industry being nervous was an understatement. However, the warehouse team, management, executive team as well as accounting, marketing, sales etc. welcomed me and instantly made me feel a part of the company/team. Being in upper management most of my career my first thought was “ok, this is just a nice welcoming for the new person it will fade in time”; my thought was far from being the truth. I was going through a rough time, trying to find what my purpose in life was again and re-discovering myself and what kind of boss/leader I really wanted to be. AccuQuilt’s environment, mission and atmosphere are what some would say “just what the Doctor ordered”. I credit where I am at today within my career to my experience, knowledge, but most of all to the management team and how they interacted with all employees. I am back in upper management again; however, this time I’m back with the positive imprint AccuQuilt made within my heart and soul. I know how to treat employees right, fair and still have fun with them and do my job right. AccuQuilt’s imprint within me will never fade, and I will always share my positive and rewarding experience with everyone I come across. For those of you allegedly having a bad experience at AccuQuilt; do not go into a place of employment with a closed mind. Embrace the knowledge, atmosphere, and mission and respect everyone. To the entire team at AccuQuilt; my success is a reflection of your work. Thank You.

"Distribution Supervisor"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I have been working at AccuQuilt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This is THE job I have looked for my entire life!!!!

I have made some pretty HUGE mistakes in my life and this is one company that has some fantastic core values and was willing to look past those mistakes and see who I am and what I have to offer.
    AccuQuilt is extremely family oriented. Even when it means some customers get upset because we are not open on Saturday and Sunday. We aren't open because of the core values of Family FIRST and a Work / Life balance.
    We are growing and we are growing fast! This absolutely means experiencing some growing pains but upper management always has the entire company, the best road to growth, and all of it's employees at the front of every decision or change that is made.
    The "Open Door" policy is one thing I appreciate more than I can convey. I never have to think twice about walking into my bosses (CEO) or the President's office to voice a concern, an idea, or even openly challenge anything. Discussion always follows and I am always heard and appreciated, no matter what.
      This is the company I want to spend the rest of my working career with.........

Cons

In a pretty selfish capacity I would like to see the company absorb a little higher percentage of the health care benefits..... but then, wouldn't we all???

Advice to Management

Thank you for providing a safe, comfortable and forward looking environment.

"Yes mam, yes sir"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Omaha, NE

I worked at AccuQuilt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Several of the low people on the totem pole were great.

Cons

Do what management says. One of their mottos is we dont believe our own bs. Unfortunately thats all they believe. Best if you just do what they say to do. No communication at all. Don't rock the boat or you'll sink.Head west is another motto. In other words a new idea is discussed, decided and implemented today. Deal with failure later.

Advice to Management

Stop believing your own bs. It stinks. If i could rate these less than a 1 would. Its that bad.

"Management"

Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Omaha, NE
    Former Employee - Inside Sales Manager in Omaha, NE

I worked at AccuQuilt full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I loved the people I worked with! They had great core values and a wonderful vision. Everyine including myself was very passionate about the company and that was wonderful!

Cons

Lack of communication between exevutive management and middle management. They have all the employees doing so much it makes it near impossible to do everything and do it with excellence.

Advice to Management

You need to pay more attention to what is happening down in the ranks as there are more employees that are continually discouraged by the lack of communication and lack of employee appreciation from executive management.

"A workplace that feels like home."

I have been working at AccuQuilt full-time

Pros

I have worked for Accuquilt for close to a year and a half. I was working for another company when I found out my job was being eliminated and was faced with the daunting task of seeking new employment. Then I realized that I knew someone that loved their job, the culture and family environment that the company possessed. That company was Accuquilt. I called this friend and asked if there was anyway that I could become part of this family and culture. This has been one of the best choices I have ever made in my over twenty year shipping/receiving warehouse career. I enjoy coming to work everyday knowing that I belong there and to feel appreciated. There is no better feeling. So thank you Accuquilt for making work not seem like work but a privilege, to work with some outstanding people that I feel love and care about their job as much as I do.

Cons

There are really no cons to working here so I will just put something that is beyond our control. With the crazy Nebraska weather it does get super hot in the warehouse in summer.

Advice to Management

Just keep doing what your doing. You really know how to make your employees feel appreciated.

"Unrewarding"

I worked at AccuQuilt full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I liked the layout of the office area. Some of the employees are nice. Hours were somewhat flexible depending on what department you are in. They had a few Holiday traditions that I felt were unique and fun.

Cons

Unrewarding. People who worked their butts off got no recognition ever during the daily meetings. Myself and others on my team often worked into the evenings, without breaks and sometimes were on call during the weekend leading up to Black Friday. We never received any sort of recognition for going above and beyond. Recognition was reserved for managers to praise other managers. The Customer Service lead was the only manager who ever acknowledged the hard work her team did to the company.

Nobody seemed to enjoy working here. Days after starting I was involved in a conversation where two employees were gossiping about how much they did not like the CEO and felt he was abusive. The rare days he would come into the office, he would spend his entire day yelling at employees, calling unnecessary, unproductive meetings and generally being disruptive to whatever team he chose to pick on that day. Near the end of my time here, I would regularly talk to employees and even a few managers about how difficult it was to work there and how unhappy we all were.

Culture here is very hard to define. A lot of long term employees put the President and CEO on a pedestal. It was a bit creepy. I never got the sense that either of them give any care to the non management employees. The vibe that I got from upper management is that they felt they were some huge company that had a massive influence on the quilting industry. Neither is true.

Frustrating work environment. During the Holiday season, my team had to throw out about a month of work because the CEO wanted to focus on another KPI. Not two weeks later, focus shifted again. We were constantly having to make adjustments to our work hours before deadlines. This caused people on my team, myself included, to have to work evenings and weekend hours. Unlike these forced positive reviews, that doesn't promote a "family first" environment. Make no mistake, AccuQuilt expects you to put them first.

Advice to Management

The CEO needs to go. He is setting up the company to fail. You can't win the game if the rules are constantly changed.

"Look for work somewhere else"

Former Contractor - Marketing Temp
    Former Contractor - Marketing Temp

I worked at AccuQuilt as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

If you like working in West Omaha, the location is fine.

Cons

Employees don't feel secure here. Revolving door of temps. People getting fired or shifted to part-time because managment reads a new business book or wants to outsource more functions. Fabricated company "culture" is uncomfortable. The few long-term employees are overworked, including overnight hours in some instances.

Advice to Management

Stop hijacking meetings. The company suffers when you change direction so often.

"Avoid like the plague"

Former Employee - Online Marketing
    Former Employee - Online Marketing

I worked at AccuQuilt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll learn how to manage stress after dealing with leadership that doesn't listen to your feedback. If you like being told, "just do what I say," this is the job for you.

Cons

I worked in online marketing for AccuQuilt and would only recommend the company to people with a very high tolerance for frustration. If you love day-long unproductive meetings, constant changes in corporate direction and a lack of any executive support, you'll be a perfect fit. They laugh about their high turnover rate, immediately place unreasonable demands on new managers (you'll be asked to take on more than you were told in the interview process), and only value the opinions of a handful of long-term employees. Despite having several years of online marketing experience, I was constantly being told what to do by the shipping manager and a call center manager. Combine that with evening, weekend and holiday calls from the CEO about non-emergencies and they create a perfect storm of a bad work environment.

Advice to Management

Stop focusing on your little catch phrases like "Head West," "Ham in the Pan" and "20% Solution." The best employees don't want to only do work that is 20% good and then fix the 80% problems later. Most people want to get it 99% right the first time so they're not constantly fixing everything that's broken from poor planning and execution.

"Please don't work here."

I worked at AccuQuilt full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The best and only good part about working here was that most non management employees are hardworking, fun people. They are the only thing I will miss about this company.

The company does occasionally hold events for the employees.

Cons

For a company who is utterly obsessed with their culture (they literally force this down your throat with a daily meeting where you recite various parts of the core values...) this place has the absolute worst culture of any company I've ever worked. Most non management employees are fearful that they will be fired. Management does absolutely nothing to address this and continues to be secretive and non communicative.

To add to this, it felt like to me that there was a "us versus them" mentality. Us being the workers and them being management (and of course those who are buddy buddy with management). It felt like management did not trust their employees. Per the core values that we so valiantly state daily, we are supposed to "be the expert" except that management feels like they are the only experts. They do not heed or consider any employees recommendation or ideas.

I never felt empowered or comfortable with approaching management about any issues. When I would talk to coworkers about the issues I was experiencing and asked advice on how to approach management I was told that I shouldn't. I was told by multiple people from multiple departments that it would "put a target on my back" or "get me on the fast track to being let go."

As a whole I feel like the company is extremely shortsighted. They notice that one stat is not where they want it to be and immediately change course and direction and expect an already very very short staffed teams to do a complete 180 overnight. Then a month or two later the same song and dance happens... over and over again.

It's not a good state of affairs when you talk to those who have been fired and instead of feeling panic or grief they tell you they feel relieved to no longer have to go there anymore.

I did not feel valued as an employee. It is my personal opinion that no one in management cares about their employees or values them. We are simply there to make upper management wealthy.

Advice to Management

Don't believe your own BS. Seriously, go look in the mirror. For people who preach to the workers about core values it seems like you have lost sight of them yourselves.

Being secretive and non communicative does NOT breed a healthy or fun culture. Employee morale is low and no one will tell you that because they are afraid you will fire them. In addition, if you are going to expect employees to do multiple roles or jobs you should pay them accordingly.