Accuquote Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Byron Udell

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A fantastic company with a solid plan for the future and growth!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Open door management, great communication via town halls and one-on-one meetings with business leaders, casual, open environment, benefits radically improved in 2017 and now very competitive, good personal time program, excellent employee referral program, company is growing nicely and has abundant advancement opportunities.

Cons

No real negatives, company made a huge transformation in 2017 with a major positive culture shift.

Advice to Management

Keep the transformation rolling, AQ is a great place to work. A few new chairs would be good too, some of the conference room chairs are showing their age.

2. "DO NOT INTERVIEW FOR THE JR AE POSITION"

I worked at Accuquote full-time

Pros

Literally none. Casual attire I guess.

Cons

This place is a horrible place to work. I'm surprised they are even in business. The things they do seem so unethical. This place will use you and abuse you and throw you to the side. Management has no clue what they are doing or how to handle certain situations. This is the LEAST professional place I ever worked.
    My day started out by calling garbage leads for 6 hours a day. Remaining two was spent training on something that you might not even use. I devoted so much time and effort and it went unnoticed. Basically if you aren't licensed in life insurance, you don't get to take applications. You get to take applications once you become licensed. This is where Accuquote fails. They moved a dopey girl and another woman who doesn't know how to pronounce a few states. That should tell you that they don't care about quality. The company is headed towards failure. DO NOT ACCEPT ANY POSITION AT THIS JOB UNLESS YOUR LICENSED. They will have you dial customers nonstop through out your shift. Management will tell you they have your back but will cut you at a moment's notice. I've seen 6-8 people getting fired within 5 months. This place is doomed for failure. Benefits are a complete joke. Health insurance for your family? $450/paycheck.

Advice to Management

Don't need to give advice. This place doesn't care what employees think. Everyone do yourself a favor and don't apply for this position. You will HATE this place.

3. "Client relationship specialist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers at AQ were great and the manager was a pleasure to work with! Support was always provided from coworkers and managers, never felt overwhelmed or rushed to complete tasks! As long as you came in to work and managed your time accordingly with your daily tasks and emails, you will become a rock star at your job! Loved flexibility to take time off when requested and the casual dress code! Overall, awesome place to work and great coworkers to make it even better!

Cons

Not many, other than benefits can be greatly improved on, especially the 401k. Also, more opportunities for career advancement within CRS, ex a Jr CRS, Sr CRS, etc..

Feb 21, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback! We are working very hard to identify opportunities to improve our benefits package. In addition, we are looking closely at adding Senior roles within the Client... More

"Don't work here."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Casual attire.
    Sometimes life insurance companies visit and they buy everyone pizza.

Cons

It's kind of an open secret that very few people enjoy working here. Employees come and go very quickly. They police these glassdoor reviews and have had at least one negative review removed. They carefully select people to ask them to write good reviews. Employees are micromanaged down to having a certain number of minutes they are allowed to use the bathroom. A pregnant employee was once fired for taking a sick day. You may be cornered by the CEO who is a vegan and will tell you all about it at length. Very low pay, but you are expected to do tasks outside of your job description. Business has been dwindling over the years. Upper management regularly leaves their position for better opportunities. It's either too hot or too cold in the building. The health insurance is abysmal.
    CEO is archaic and stubborn when it comes to modernizing, advertising, and new ideas. He's also involved in several lawsuits by former employees.

Advice to Management

Stop being the way you are.

5. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Wheeling, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Positive atmosphere, no earning potential cap, career advancement opportunities are plentiful. Overall this was the best employment experience I've had, period. AQ is a great place to network, whether you're new to the industry, or a seasoned veteran. There is plenty of sales support from admin, as well as a hands on approach from management to help enhance your skills, and ultimately, your success.

Cons

Nothing that outweighs the positives.

Feb 3, 2017 – CEO

It is always nice to hear from employees and former employees about their positive experiences here at AccuQuote. As I've stated in other responses, over 20 people that have at one time or another... More

"Inconsistencies"

I worked at Accuquote full-time

Pros

Great people throughout the organization. Good work ethic. Nice people.

Cons

Direction from top management blows in the direction of the latest "shiny object." There is no consistency and people are always looking over their shoulders. Retaining salespeople is very difficult.

Advice to Management

Find a strategy and see it through. Hopping from one thing to another never gives any kind of consistent direction for the company and - more importantly - for its employees,

Feb 6, 2017 – CEO

As always, I appreciate the feedback from any and all employees.

Certainly every business has its challenges and management is always trying to find the right solutions. Not sure it’s shiny... More

7. "Policy Review Acct Exec"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Des Plaines, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Des Plaines, IL

I worked at Accuquote full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility and work from home after begging thru management

Cons

Extensive Micro mgmt.
    Managers don't get it and only if you know the owner or are related to someone, can you become a manager at AQ

Jan 5, 2017 – CEO

Thank you for the review. As always I appreciate all of the feedback that I get- Good and Bad.

I would like to address both of the issues that you mention in your comments.

We currently... More

"Forever Thankful"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative (Inside Sales) in Wheeling, IL

I worked at Accuquote full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked at AccuQuote in the early part of my life insurance career. i am forever grateful for the knowledge, friendships and skills i l gained during my time. To this day, i still consider Accuquote a fantastic place to work - and would not hesitate to recommend someone as a place to buy insurance (if i didn't work with them myself) or for a career. Whether starting out in sales, been in the life insurance industry for a long time, making a career transition - the opportunity set made available at AccuQuote is hard to replicate and incredibly unique. I consider Byron Udell one of the founding fathers of the "modern" way life insurance is sold. As someone in the life insurance industry still today - Accuquote is a hidden gem where you can learn and grow if you are serious about the life insurance profession. For that, i am thankful. Spend 30 minutes with Byron (he always has an open door policy) - and you will certainly sell more life insurance and increase (or learn for the first time) the importance of what we do.

Cons

It's a great place to work if you want want a full plate of highly qualified leads, with a back office to help you support the sale throughout the process. If you want to be out in the field and meeting with clients/prospects personally - you may consider a more traditional life insurance option like an AXA, New York Life or Mass Mutual type organizations. This is an inside sales job ... which has benefits ... but some drawbacks.

Dec 15, 2016 – CEO

As always, as the founder of AccuQuote, it is especially heartwarming to hear such a review. I do my best to share everything I know about this industry with all of my employees. I also pride myself... More

9. "Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

In a time where so many are looking for work, coming here everyday, seeing people I know well, and respect is not something to ignore. Im lucky! I work for a company that wants to hear my thoughts, wants to know what we can do better from my perspective. Accuquote cares about its people, and its clients. I work with people that genuinely, passionately believe in the product we sell! I have come along way since I started, because the management team is helpful, they listen, they genuinely care about what we do, AND they care about me as a person, NOT just an employee.

Cons

As far as Accuquote is concerned, my list of "complaints" is pretty trivial. The benefits are expensive, but everyone I know says the same thing, benefits are expensive. I don't see how Accuquote can really do much about that.

Advice to Management

I have been working here for over 10 years, in sales. I just read some of the reviews from people who claim to work here now or in the past. Most of the reviews are pretty positive, but the negative ones, well, I have to wonder whether we work in the same place?! I have worked in many places in my life, and while no company is perfect, I have always found the leadership, ownership, and management here to be open minded, pragmatic, supportive, and fair. We have experienced growing pains multiple times during my tenure. Most of the people that work here are amazing. But some, as in any company, will never be happy no matter where they work I guess. I feel bad for these people!! They clearly haven’t had much experience with companies that don’t see their people as anything but a number. This place, and these people, are a family. I have seen upper management, the senior level execs and the owner step up for employees in crisis on many occasions. Some of the reviews written by these unhappy people are unfair to the company. If someone is truly unhappy working anywhere, it seems to me that they are free to leave whenever they want. Or better yet, suggest a solution to issues you see. Help make this place better. Invest in the company. Engage with the management. They make it pretty clear that they are interested in improving things. But it does seem unfair to have them make up malicious stories about the company. I am proud to work for Accuquote. I’m sad to look around and wonder who it is that really believes these things.

Dec 15, 2016 – CEO

I’m proud to have the opportunity to work with people like you. Like any company, AccuQuote is only as good as it’s people. Thankfully, our people take what we do very seriously. That, largely, is... More

"Terrible"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Wheeling, IL

I have been working at Accuquote full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good place to start your sales career but not worth staying. Get experience here and move on to better things

Cons

They say tons of people have built a career here but there's like 3 or 4 people that actually have, the rest leave. It used to be a company of over 100 and now there's less than 40. They aren't replacing top positions and the company is clearly going down. It's obvious from the desperate attempts of the CEO on here to address each negative review.

Advice to Management

Stop acting like dictators and give people freedom. You micromanage your agents to the ground.

Nov 28, 2016 – CEO

I appreciate Glassdoor for providing you the opportunity to openly communicate. However, it unintentionally creates a way to avoid taking steps that could resolve issues in the work place. Sharing... More