Ace Hardware Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ace Hardware CEO John Venhuizen
John Venhuizen

Pros
  • You learn a lot on the job though (in 38 reviews)

• I love working here with great people and great customer just wish I was using my degree to help people like I always planed (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • There's little room for advancement in some ways but you can take on new responsibilities (in 18 reviews)

• It is nott much more than minimum wage (in 26 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Buyer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Ace Hardware full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to advance within the company.

Ace believes in investing in their infrastructure and their employees. They value on going education and offer plenty of training.

Ace's mission statement is clearly understood.

Management is approachable.

Employees participate in their own self assessments and take an active role in participating in their reviews.

Cons

Ace doesn't believe in keeping long time employees.

Advice to Management

Ace used to feel like a family up until a couple years ago. Stop micro managing the details.

2. "ACE, of course, is THE place"

Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Marietta, GA
    Current Employee - Retail Sales Representative in Marietta, GA

Pros

New tasks day-to-day, great hands-on job, friendly environment and helpful management, laid back environment, colleagues are helpful, never routine, I had an ease in finding time off (may not be applicable to all stores). Although you are on your feet all day, the attire is casual so running shoes enable comfort throughout the day.

Cons

As a woman working at ACE, I faced some challenges regarding the customers respect of my knowledge. Frequency of putting yourself at risk of injury is high [ cutting glass, filling propane tanks, etc.], if you don't trust yourself then this job may not be for you.

Advice to Management

They are very helpful and are interested in their team understanding the store. I feel that my manager found confidence in his staff and each individuals competence.

3. "good for high school"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Caldwell, NJ
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Caldwell, NJ

Pros

I've definitely learned a lot, mostly about just regular upkeep and repair of household products. Mostly through customers coming in with problems and helping them figure them out. Lots of experience in dealing with retail, and room for advancement within the ACE world. Lots of high school students and retirees.

Cons

Like any retail business, there's lots of downtime, and the occasional rude customer.

Advice to Management

Learn to stock the store with the right products. Too much unnecessary stuff.

5. "Fair interview process"

Current Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL
    Current Employee - Manager in Oak Brook, IL

Pros

Old fashioned employer that still feels an obligation to their employee's, concerned about doing anything that might hurt someone's feelings

Cons

Entrenched management that is just waiting for retirement

Advice to Management

Need management that isn't afraid to set expentations otherwise they need more forced turnover. Let's highly paid management stay on the job but they can't make a decision or create a strategy.

6. "Exciting, every day was an adventure"

Former Employee - General Manager in Tavares, FL
    Former Employee - General Manager in Tavares, FL

Pros

Great people, good hours, unlimited opportunity to network.

Cons

Customer service is the number one priority, many interruptions throughout the day.

Advice to Management

Invest in technology training

7. "Great place work!"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

Management, flexible hours, competitive pay, employee discount. Great place to get into retail and learn alot about home repair. Great company!

Cons

you are on your feet all day. You have to deal with cranky customers but must maintain your composure because they come to Ace for the customer service.

Advice to Management

Give employees more freedom on return policies and don't sweat the little things (customer returns, customers taking advantage of sales limit purchases).

8. "Sales associated"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cypress, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Cypress, TX

I have been working at Ace Hardware part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to work and great customers to work for. Small atmosphere but vast assortment of essential hardware items. Mostly individual own and gives it the mom and pop feel that the big box places can't come close to. The one I work at the owners are husband and wife, I always tell customer that not only do they care abut their customers needs hardware wise they cater to findng the unique items that both husband and wife can enjoy shopping together. Like for example two old goats cream or one of a kind home decor.

Cons

Only one con I can think of is that being smaller and individually owned the pay is slightly lower.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

9. "Big Fish, Small Pond"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in Akron, OH
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in Akron, OH

I have been working at Ace Hardware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I'm able to contribute to the company direction, I have great co-workers, and it is a family feel at the store.

Cons

NONE! This is a great place to work, it's family oriented, conveniently located, and I could go on and on!

Advice to Management

A small token of appreciation around Christmas time goes a long way!

10. "Great Experience!"

Former Employee - Intern in Oak Brook, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Oak Brook, IL

I worked at Ace Hardware full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company culture is easy going and positive. The Internship program is well organized and includes a business case competition which gives you great leadership, team working, and presentation experience.

Cons

To my understanding some interns felt they were under utilized, but I believe those few that felt that way simply did not take the initiative.

I personally had no negative experience at Ace Hardware Corporation

Advice to Management

Video record the business case competition presentations and try to get a few chief executives to sit in on them.

11. "Excellent Place To Work For"

Former Employee - Delivery and Sales in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Delivery and Sales in Wichita, KS

I worked at Ace Hardware full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Management at the store I worked for did an excellent job throughout the hiring process and after 6 years I have no regrets with the company.

Cons

On the last year that I worked at Ace I had a sudden schedule change without any warning. Granted I was in the middle of fixing up a house and moving out of state. The only other con is that its partly a good ole boy system and you would have to wait on people to die or retire to advance in the company.

Advice to Management

Let us know when you need to change our schedule, and make more opportunities to earn more money!