Ace Hotel Reviews | Glassdoor

Found 46 reviews

3.5
Ace Hotel CEO Brad Wilson
Brad Wilson
  1. "Awesome place to work!"

Current Employee - Assistant Front Office Manager

I have been working at Ace Hotel full-time

Pros

Amazing staff, room for growth, and cool vibe.

Cons

Slightly unorganized and not the best communication between departments.

Ace Hotel2019-04-15

"What a Loss"

Former Employee - Front Desk Agent in New York, NY

I worked at Ace Hotel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good benefits, free lunch, resume cred

Cons

Ruled by favouritism, very few people with experience in any department, cold approach to hospitality, Trip Advisor Triggered, "good pay" but less than 8 hours work/ day, difficult work hours (too early, too late), understaffed due to the above, no room for growth, OG "cool" Ace Brand has sold out to the luxury hotel market without the investment of taste, the building is on the verge of collapse- literally,... higher-ups are living on their expired resumes and word of their own mouth self worth, NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN DEPARTMENTS, distrustful HR, self-interested higher management, no job safety / no loyalty.

Advice to Management

I hope your rebranding works out. Pay your workers before they unionize (and they should), re-read Alex's words- maybe you won't lose so many customers and employees.

Ace Hotel2019-05-22
  3. "It was ok"

Former Employee - Line Cook in Chicago, IL

I worked at Ace Hotel full-time for less than a year

Pros

Learned a lot. Worked hard.

Cons

Needing more direction. Organization. Better teamwork

Advice to Management

Listen to the staff better

Ace Hotel2019-03-05
  4. "Cool place"

Former Employee - Event Cook in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Ace Hotel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Friendly, funky, supportive of individuals

Cons

Lots of change in the kitchen and management when I was there. Not much training.

Ace Hotel2019-02-14
  5. "#thatssoace"

Current Employee - Server in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Ace Hotel part-time for more than 3 years

Pros

full of creative folks and friendly staff. Discounts on theater tickets and rooms in other locations.

Cons

the image is more important than proper organization and function of a company. Management isn't supported by Atelier or maybe Atelier expects everyone to come to the table with a plan - it just feels like there's no proper structure. It feels like it's more important to open more locations rather than investing in the backend i.e. staff/mgmt. Lots of turnover due to lack of proper communication.

Advice to Management

treat your employees better by supporting Management - which means develop a better skill set as a company to support them and show you are ACTUALLY making the time to support this.

Ace Hotel2019-01-16
  6. "Tough, but great to learn"

I have been working at Ace Hotel full-time

Pros

Teaches more than you will expect with this role

Cons

A lot of tough hours and hard work

Ace Hotel2018-12-21

"Very iffy about this place"

Current Employee - Server

I have been working at Ace Hotel full-time for more than a year

Pros

One of the best managers I've ever had.

Cons

-the whole diversity trope is pretty interesting and laughable because it's evident you're there to only fill a quota

Advice to Management

What's with all the white people in leadership positions and all the minorities in service positions? That tokenizing of diversity isn't fooling anyone.

Ace Hotel2018-11-21

"Yikes! Immature but... fun?"

Former Employee - Food Service in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at Ace Hotel full-time

Pros

The camaraderie formed between co-workers makes it very appealing to work here. Similar interests of conversation, hobbies, humor, standards, respect. You’re able to form bonds and collaborate in ideas on and off the clock. Very welcoming. The staff is what makes this place hard to leave although everyone talks about wanting to leave.

Cons

Management has the tendency to compensate marginalized (POC, trans, queer) people with the bare minimum of common human decency rather than pay them a livable wage. You will soon find that the employers have craftily chosen a front of house composed of well-dressed, attractive, inspired people in order to maintain the facade of this self-deemed ‘safe space.’ However, the management is just as disappointing as any... wage laborer in the fact that all of their motives are centered around ushering in the upper class clientele that has plagued the majority of East Pittsburgh and most infamously East Liberty. Your disposability will be realized to you when you notice your underpaid work is being ignored and hardly critiqued- however, it is being talked about behind closed doors. DO NOT form trusts with the management. They are super gossipy and immature. It’s easy to want to warm up to at least one because.. well, none of them agree on anything! BUT, this will bite you in the back. The space is a great place to socialize and do work… if you feel comfortable around middle class, educated whites. However, if you don’t, maybe don’t stop by and definitely don’t apply because you wouldn’t meet their racist, classist, self-righteous criteria.

Advice to Management

Manage adults like adults Speak directly- be articulate Everyone knows you gossip and it's hard to respect so maybe consider....... not? Be honest If someone isn't doing their job, maybe i dunno.... talk to them about it Act your age FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, AGREE ON SOMETHING! Don't be all white-passing, cisgendered, bourgeoisie-lovin' MESSES

Ace Hotel2018-11-23

"A deceiving facade"

Former Employee - Bartender in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ace Hotel part-time for less than a year

Pros

It is a beautiful hotel

Cons

-Management is changing every few months -Too many moving pieces to have stability -Never a simple answer to any issues as a new hire

Advice to Management

I honestly have no advice. I have been working in restaurants for six years and have never witnessed anything so unorganized and chaotic. I don't bounce around from job to job month to month. I want stability, good hours, and a friendly work environment. Ace employees were great, but the management structure just has massive issues.

Ace Hotel2018-12-05

"Bartender"

Former Employee - Bartender in New Orleans, LA

I worked at Ace Hotel full-time for more than a year

Pros

--higher hourly than many craft bartending positions + PTO, solid health benefits, and a 401k --fairly consistent paycheck, little fluctuation in tips due to pooled house structure

Cons

--management was saddled with far too much, one manager told me he had worked a 90 hour week!; cycled through managers at a really wild rate, in part due to this --honestly, this issue is more reflective of the contractors hired + developers that renovated the building, but there were some really awful problems with the building itself including very stinky smells and flooding at the bar, sometimes of up to 2... inches; the bar was renovated without much notice one week and management tried to have us bartend out of a satellite bar, but the construction was in reality too invasive to keep the restaurant open so I'd come in for a shift only to be told they were closed --was constantly called in and cut after 2-3 hours of service, when I could have made plans or picked up a shift elsewhere

Advice to Management

--I've heard things are better now and I hope they are but try to actually put your mouth is and treat people as, well, people

Ace Hotel2018-09-12