Achaogen Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Kenneth J. Hillan

1. "Achaogen - the place to be!"

I have been working at Achaogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Business savvy leadership.
    Commitment to employee development.
    Transparent communications.
    A+ culture.

Cons

I see no cons to working here. Highly recommend Achaogen.

Advice to Management

I love what I do because of what you're doing, and how you're doing it. Keep true to your / our core values.

2. "What a team!"

I have been working at Achaogen full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

All star EC
    Passionate and scientifically rigorous research team
    Experienced development colleagues
    Culture strongly supports development of staff

Cons

Lots of opportunities in a rapidly growing organization. Suits ambitious high-flyers.

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture as we grow
    Continue to give junior team members opportunities

3. "Senior Clinical Research Associate"

Current Employee - Senior Clinical Research Associate in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achaogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Feels great to be a part of a growing company where people are passionate and ambitious. Work-life balance is AMAZING! Great colleagues with supportive team members. By far one of the best companies I have ever worked for.

Cons

It's not central to Bart or walking distance to the Ferry, but shuttle service is provided and the ferry is a short bike ride away.

Advice to Management

Management team is thoughtful and genuinely care for their employees. My advice, continue to appreciate and show your gratitude. It will result in motivated, happy employees and decrease turnover.

5. "Great, values driven biotech with mission to build a world class antibiotic portfolio"

I have been working at Achaogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with and an experienced management team. Company and hiring mangers keep the bar very high when recruiting both from a technical and a cultural fit perspective. Potential hires are purposefully exposed to a broad range of functions in the hiring process so that both the company and they can understand if they are the right fit. Management is very mission driven and values employees very highly. Company values and a focus on patients informs all decisions from the BoD on down. Science leads the way and teams focus on finding truth. They do this by making decisions efficiently and then executing rapidly to a very high standard.

Cons

Fast moving environment that will not suit all people. Resources are constrained due to the size and stage of the company so the expectation is that everyone at all levels of the company think strategically and carefully about direction and programs and follow-through with high quality execution. You need to be strategically agile but also very good and executing to thrive here. If you can do that then this will be a great place to work.

Advice to Management

Continue the focus on patients, science and becoming a leading company within the anti-infectives space

6. "Great mission and people"

I have been working at Achaogen full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Antimicrobial resistance is a serious and rapidly emerging global health threat
    - Achaogen has great science and people
    - Experienced, collaborative and transparent senior management
    - Located in South San Francisco in the heart of biopharma innovation

Cons

- Limited food options in Sierra Point

Advice to Management

Keeping attracting and retaining great people as the company grows. We don't want to lose our amazing work culture.

7. "Great Place to work"

I have been working at Achaogen full-time

Pros

Supportive place to work with a great work life balance

Cons

It's a fast moving company and a high level of flexibility is required.

8. ""Fantastic company to work for""

Pros

- Great Culture, fun environment, and I would consider my co-workers friends
    - As the company grows, there are always problems to solve and interesting projects to work on
    - Leadership cares about staff development
    - Great benefits

Cons

Since being here I have not come across anything that I would consider a con

Advice to Management

- Continue focusing on attracting and retaining great talent
    - Continue to drive employee engagement thru transparency

9. "Solid Mission, Fun Culture, Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achaogen (More than a year)

Pros

Achaogen has great culture, incredibly smart people, and an inspirational mission. With over tens years of experience in antimicrobial drug discovery, no other company is in a better position to deliver multiple lifesaving medicines for difficult to treat infections in the coming years.

Cons

Our tremendous growth over the last several months has caused space to be limited in the lab and office space.

Advice to Management

The company should continue to recruit only top talent and maintain a culture of scientific rigor, transparency, and drive to make a difference.

10. "Great company, important mission, driven team"

I have been working at Achaogen full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Critical mission
    Engaged team, driven for success
    Approachable management/culture of open feedback
    Highly rigorous and collaborative scientists

Cons

Hiring has accelerated due to preparations for NDA and offices are split across 2 buildings for now so harder to keep camaraderie across entire org

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achaogen full-time (More than a year)

Pros

(1) Extremely smart and collaborative colleagues who are a pleasure to work with even when under time pressure (2) Working in antibiotics for multi drug resistant infections means you never need to question the importance of the work we are doing for patients and society (3) there is a lot of opportunity to expand your scope, take on new responsibilities and grow your career and (4) Management has been very supportive of my career aspirations and goals, (5) While funding is always tough for small companies, small companies int he antibiotic space do have access to non-dilutive funding (grants, etc.) and we have been very successful at accessing those sources of funds. I've worked in 5 different pharma companies of every size over 10+ years and I have never been happier or felt more optimistic about my career opportunities.

Cons

We're a small company getting close to NDA so there is a lot of work to do and we don't have a huge bunch of people sitting around with nothing to do to pull in and help. Finding and hiring qualified people isn't easy. This means the workload can be heavy, but it also means that there is a lot of opportunity if you are a smart and energetic professional who is looking for a place to accelerate your career development and join a great team.

Advice to Management

None, if I had feedback I would feel completely comfortable with giving it directly.