KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Achievement First

Engaged Employer

Achievement First

Add a Review

Achievement First Employee Reviews about "long hours"

Updated Jan 16, 2021

3.6
Achievement First Co-CEO and President and Co-CEO and Superintendent Dacia Toll and Doug McCurry
Dacia Toll and Doug McCurry
Pros
  • "In house professional development(in 78 reviews)

• "Authentic relationships with scholars that is fostered in to the school motto(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Hard to find work/life balance in TIR role(in 112 reviews)

• "Over worked, long hours, lots of restrictions(in 83 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Achievement First and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "long hours"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 8 years

AF continues to grow and change in positive ways - becoming much more equity minded

Dec 31, 2020 - Principal in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

impact of work, strong teammates

Cons

long hours and trying to "do it all"

2. 4.0

Leader Teacher

Jan 15, 2021 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

You can work in many different positions throughout the network. Room for growing and moving up in ladder.

Cons

Over worked, long hours, lots of restrictions.

3. 2.0

Wonderful Students, Teaching Environment Not For Everyone

Dec 24, 2020 - Teacher-In-Residence in Hartford, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Dedicated staff, wonderful students, diverse school and some really wonderful co workers.

Cons

TIRs are supposed to be trained to become headteachers. In my experience, I was not trained to become a headteacher. Instead, I felt that I was put in classrooms to give teachers an opportunity to prep. So students would do math work on the computer during these "teaching opportunities". Overall, I feel that I did not learn how to become a headteacher. Some students have behaviors, which I was fine with. The issue is that leadership put me, a new teacher in a classroom of 28 students with no support and no idea how to handle behaviors. I felt that I was failing the students because I had not been equipped with information on how to help deescalate students. The work culture is very strong, which is both a pro and a con. You are asked to do things that are not within your job description daily, whether you're comfortable with it or not. I found this to be a disadvantage to students (I am not a math teacher, but was asked to teach math a couple of times, and always with no time to prep). Since you're salaried, you don't receive overtime for working late during conference nights or other events at the school. The hours are long. Work started at 6:30 AM and ended between 5:30 and 6:30 pm. Some teachers stayed longer to get work done. Some of the leadership figures were not considerate of TIRs. You would be put in a room to teach when you haven't actually gained any experience teaching a lesson on your own. I was evaluated on my teaching and taxonomy skills without having followed the protocol for gradual release into the classroom. However leadership has changed since I worked at AF.

2 people found this review helpful

Achievement First Response

Outreach Coordinator

I’m so sorry to hear this was your experience at AF. The first year of teaching is always incredibly hard – and our TIRs do provide additional support/coverage as part of their role—but our TIRs should always feel a strong sense of support that is far from what you describe. Based on our pulse check survey from last semester, the vast majority of this year’s cohort is feeling supported and valued in their role. Please contact me directly at LeighMcNamara@AchievementFirst.org because I want to learn more about your experience. This school year, we started a mid-year TIR promotion policy which addresses the need for more recognition and support for our TIRs who have taken on more work. All of our TIRs have a mentor teacher coach as well as a coach through their graduate school program and an additional TIR coordinator at the school level. We provide this coaching to our TIRs as they develop into lead teachers. TIRs are vital to what we do and an instrumental part of our AF Team & Family.

4. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Long hours

Jan 16, 2021 - Executive Assistant in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Relatively high salary for a recent graduate

Cons

Long hours, low adult culture, high retention

1 person found this review helpful
    5. 3.0

Intense

Jan 7, 2021 - Teacher-In-Residence in New York, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Quality Professional Development Decent Salary High Expectations

Cons

Long hours Ineffective sometimes unprofessional Communication

6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Rigorous and rewarding work environment

May 14, 2020 - High School English Teacher and Literature Department Chair in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Professional development and vast growth opportunties I am excited to wake up every morning and go to work to see our kiddos My team at East Brooklyn High is a family dedicated to doing what it right by kids Our Principal Martin Palamore is a TOP educator and leader

Cons

If you are not a self-starter and dedicated to doing whatever it takes, this can be a difficult place to work Work-life balance is highly challenging, LONG hours

7. 3.0
      Current Employee

AF New Changes

Sep 24, 2020 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

competitive salary, strong sense of team, support from leadership teams.

Cons

Long hours, policing kids bodies, power over purpose on many procedures.

8. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

N/A

May 17, 2020 - Behavior Specialist in Providence, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

rigorous curriculum which facilitates healthy challenge for kids, team and family mindset, genuine relationships amongst staff members, leadership encourages staff input, lead with a 'kids first' mentality.

Cons

long hours, differing opinions with decision making which might lag rowing together as a team.

1 person found this review helpful
    9. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing kids and very dedicated teachers

Apr 9, 2020 - Academic Dean in New Haven, CT
      Business Outlook

Pros

Innovative work, important mission, very committed staff, Lots of support and room for growth, really amazing kids (the best part)

Cons

Long hours/ Work life balance

10. 3.0

Long hours, constant observations

Jul 14, 2020 - Teacher in London, England, England
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of professional development, good opportunity for growth

Cons

Work-life balance is highly challenging, LONG hours

Viewing 1 - 10 of 82 Reviews