Achievement First Employee Reviews about "scholars"

Updated Dec 8, 2020

3.7
Achievement First Co-CEO and President and Co-CEO and Superintendent Dacia Toll and Doug McCurry
Dacia Toll and Doug McCurry
Pros
  • "In house professional development(in 78 reviews)

• "Authentic relationships with scholars that is fostered in to the school motto(in 21 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Hard to find work/life balance in TIR role(in 112 reviews)

• "Over worked, long hours, lots of restrictions(in 83 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Gender

This rating reflects the overall rating of Achievement First and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "scholars"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0

Excellent Employment

Apr 23, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great opportunity for growth within the company

Cons

Very high standards for young scholars

2. 4.0

You will be developed.

Dec 8, 2020 - Dean of Students in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Many leaders and educators who you can learn a ton from.

Cons

A lot of racist decisions has been and continues to be made because of the very white makeup of leadership- which is not a representation of the scholars we serve.

2 people found this review helpful
    3. 5.0

Care for Person and Performance

Aug 13, 2018 - Behavior Specialist in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Achievement First is invested in the personal and professional growth of their scholars and employees both! As an employee, I feel emotionally safe and supported by my team. The leadership team works diligently to create growth mindset among the team. Ultimately, AF pours into their employees so in return, we can pour into our scholars.

Cons

No huge cons for me. In my role, I found myself not completely understanding the responsibilities of my role and how it lives at our school. This was quickly fixed when I asked for clarity.

80 people found this review helpful
    4. 4.0
      Current Employee, less than 1 year

Prepares you for other networks

Jan 5, 2020 - Teacher in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Authentic relationships with scholars that is fostered in to the school motto. Reflective about mistakes.

Cons

Heavy work-load during the five-day week.

5. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Excellent Learning environment- Trying to close the gap and meet the needs of ALL scholars!

Dec 9, 2019 - Dean of Students in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

Strong teacher development and support. Opportunities to grow and advance within the network.

Cons

Very demanding as far as physical presence, time, and teacher output, as well as emotionally. Many of the people I work with are extremely invested in our scholars and their overall student experience. That comes with people being heavily invested in the work, but also feeling burnt out.

6. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Making a difference for kids in a not so great work environment

Jan 29, 2020 - Teacher
      Business Outlook

Pros

-Children are amazing and families are so supportive. -Robust, individualized coaching and feedback for teachers -Learn a lot of transferable skills that can help you in other settings -Competitive salary for first year teachers (comparable to other charter schools in the area)

Cons

-Rigid behavior management expectations for the children and not always developmentally appropriate (high emphasis on body control) -Teachers graded very harshly whether kids are "on task" based on the rigid set of expectations set forth by the administration and network as a whole -Much of the curriculum and lesson plans are outdated so teachers constantly have to modify them to be more age appropriate and relevant for the scholars we serve. -Feels like a very cliquey and toxic workplace environment

7. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

AF RI Developing and Learning as we Grow

May 16, 2019 - Educator in Providence, RI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Rhode Island region of AF is still fairly new, our first elementary school in RI opened in August of 2013. I have worked at one of the elementary schools for three years. -I know that my leadership team (deans & principal) care about me as a person. I know they have my back in good moments and in tough ones. They understand why I do the work I do, and they know that I do my work with the best of intentions. In short, they trust my judgment. -I have many fellow teachers that I can turn to if I have an academic, behavioral or other question about how to better support a scholar or group of scholars. We also have many conversations about how to have a stronger adult culture. We practice tough conversations and what are the best ways to support each other through rough moments throughout the school year. -We are continuously reviewing data and trying to make learning stronger for our team. We talk through action steps together to improve our teaching and scholars learning. -We are really working towards how to make the school environment better for our scholars. This year we had some tough conversations about our behavioral system and how we need to ground interactions with children in an “everything from love” frame of mind.

Cons

-There are quite a few staff members involved in decision making and, in some instances, it is nice to have many minds come together but, in other situations it can take a good amount of time to make decisions. Our jobs are fast paced and sometimes going up the line with a decision can feel like forever and can cause some frustration. -Our kiddos take A LOT of assessments; I love data as much as the next teacher, but sometimes it feels like just too much. I also feel we should spend some time checking in with children about some testing anxieties. -I also find that scholars are not always able to completely dive into subjects because the topics are changing quickly. I would love to see more student guided learning across subjects. -Sometimes I worry about how much time children have time to be kids when we are in school for so long and the behavioral expectations are so high. I feel like this is an area we are working on and I wish that parents were more involved in these conversations.

8. 4.0

Elementary Teacher

Apr 19, 2019 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Commitment to making best choice for scholars. Competitive starting salaries.

Cons

Teacher retention Salary clarity beyond 2nd and 3rd year

9. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

love my job

Feb 23, 2019 - School Social Worker in Brooklyn, NY
      Business Outlook

Pros

love working with my scholars and my culture team

Cons

dealing with bureaucracy is a pain

10. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great place to work for new teachers. You will develop a lot.

Jan 22, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great, mission driven staff, wonderful scholars and families, professional development

Cons

Work life balance, long hours

Viewing 1 - 10 of 33 English Reviews