KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Achievement Prep Reviews

Updated Mar 18, 2022

Found 82 of over 84 reviews

2.0
Achievement Prep Founder & Head of School Shantelle Wright (no image)
Shantelle Wright

The latest conversations about Teachers

Join the conversation on

Teachers

1y

a

West Virginia Elementary School Teacher

Who is taking the COVID-19 Shot? Do you think all teachers should?

2,889

959 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Teachers' voices are not listened to or acknowledged by leadership whatsoever.(in 10 reviews)
  • "The leadership team is afraid to speak out against the CEO so many decisions are made without considering scholars, families, or staff.(in 5 reviews)
  • "Humiliating her staff makes her feel better about herself.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Before long, though, the true colors of APA start to show through: structures and systems break down and teachers start to find themselves in an extremely negative, hostile work environment where you feel paranoid, that you have to constantly look over your shoulder, and worry about the security of your job.(in 4 reviews)
  • "Well, the CEO is probably the biggest con.(in 4 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Changing and Growing Leadership

Mar 18, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Youthful spirited team committed to the mission and the scholars they serve. Small team making big impact; everyone steps up to help the team. Persevering through the ongoing challenges with COVID and huge shift in leadership changes. Great job this year showing compassion as team members shift back to normalcy from two years of COVID.

Cons

Mostly new staff, from senior leaders down. Only a handful of tenured staff remain after the change in leadership and COVID. Much of the culture has faded and challenges balancing academia and joy.

2. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

The worst place to work

Jan 6, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The pay was steady and fair, its evident that staff are really invested in the academic growth of children east of the river.

Cons

Cult like feel No room for growth Dishonest staff If you're new you will be treated like an outsider.

Achievement Prep Response

Thanks for your feedback. We are unapologetic about creating an environment for our scholars where everyone believes in our scholar's ability to achieve and are willing to hold a high bar for scholars and staff. In this environment, there is always room for growth (both on a daily basis and as a career) for anyone who's committed to supporting our school's vision and mission. We would have appreciated the opportunity to address any issues of honesty and inclusion so that we could improve your experience as a member of our team. Finally, we never want to anyone to feel undervalued which is why we regularly (weekly and monthly) recognize our teachers and staff for their achievements. We believe that feedback is a gift and you are more than welcome to reach out to us directly for a conversation.

3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Review

Aug 7, 2021 - Special Education Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Consistent paycheck Some opportunities for advancement Parking Acknowledgement of hard work Varied opportunities for coaching

Cons

Leadership Workload Total lack of ethics Nepotism Cult-like environment Lack of Consequences Very top heavy

Achievement Prep Response

Thanks for your feedback. We acknowledge that last year was challenging for Achievement Prep. I also want to acknowledge that we took several steps in direct response to feedback from teachers and staff. This year, we've assessed all of our learnings from the past year and previous years in order to change the look, feel and sound of our school. We are excited about our leadership team this year that is very streamlined. We have established a bar for what excellence looks like for all employees such that opportunities for advancement are earned by our hard working team members. Finally, we are taking care of our staff as they care for our scholars because we value our people and want them to thrive in an environment that is ethical, offers growth and development while also maintaining a singular/laser-like focus on scholar achievement.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

A Challenging Atmosphere

Aug 16, 2021 - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Achievement Prep offers competive salaries. It is one of the best paying schools in the area. Unfortunatley this was the only pro I experienced working there

Cons

The working conditions are unsafe for staff and students. Students are allowed to engage in unsafe behaviors including harassment and assault with no real consequences.

5. 1.0

Toxic Culture

Jul 14, 2021 - Educational Specialist in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Nice people who wanted to do good.

Cons

Staffed yelled at students. Students were rude to staff. Many staff left because of the bad culture.

Achievement Prep Response

Thanks for your review. We agree that our people are nice AND they do good for our scholars. At Achievement Prep, we don't give up on scholars who misbehave as we believe that with the right support and guidance, and a team that is committed to doing whatever it takes to reach them, we can help them grow and achieve excellence. Naturally, we are disappointed to hear that you had a negative experience with our school. We welcome the opportunity for feedback and invite you to learn more about how we are changing the look, feel and sound of our school so that our scholars can thrive. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review, and we wish you the best in your career.

6. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Stay far, far away if you care about the well being of children and yourself

May 24, 2021 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teachers are amazing and for the most part, highly qualified.

Cons

There is a huge emphasis on testing, and teachers are required to implement a curriculum that is, oftentimes, developmentally inappropriate, culturally irrelevant, and irresponsible. It leaves little to no time for relationship building, community building, inquiry, or exploration, which is extremely important to cultivate. The school leadership is completely in charge of any and all decisions. They never take teacher feedback, even though they say they will. They have proven all year that they have the ability to make decisions that are developmentally and culturally appropriate and responsible but CHOOSE NOT TO. Its extremely disheartening and frustrating, given the current circumstances of the world we live in. Teachers' voices are not listened to or acknowledged by leadership whatsoever. There is no science, art, music, social-emotional, history, or social studies curriculum or time available to teachers or students. Every moment of your day is micromanaged and you are not allowed any autonomy. The books and the curriculum are out of date and make it so much more difficult to teach and get the students to where they need to be. Even when you have a data proven better way, the admin will say "that's not the achievement prep way". It is no surprise that the teacher turnover is so high every year and kids arent growing at the rates they should be. They will try to win you over in your interview and tell you everything you want to hear. Just know it is the exact opposite of what you think it is.

2 people found this review helpful

Achievement Prep Response

Thanks for your feedback and we agree that our teachers are AMAZING! We acknowledge that this year has been particularly challenging for all schools, including Achievement Prep. Also, we've taken several steps in direct response to feedback from teachers and staff. These include changing the daily schedule to allow teachers more time to get to know and respond to the needs of scholars in their classes, making more time for coaching and professional development between teachers and instructional coaches so that there is a more individualized approach to strengthening instructional practices. We've devoted one Wednesday afternoon each month, of this school year, engaged in Anti-Racism training (as a whole organization). While there is more work to do, we've begun making changes to how we operate, including creating a process by which teachers can provide feedback and make recommendations on ways to improve our curriculum materials, including the use of Learning for Justice tools. And finally, we know that school will be different next year, so we are totally focused on the social-emotional and mental health needs of scholars and staff so that we are, once again, making good on our promise to parents and families.

7. 1.0

Toxic Work

Mar 22, 2021 - Dean of Teacher Effectiveness in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

The idea of supporting underserved families

Cons

One of the worst places I've ever experienced.

1 person found this review helpful

Achievement Prep Response

Thanks for sharing and sad to read about your experience while at Achievement Prep. We’ve been listening and taking steps to improve. In addition, we are anticipating a leadership change and are already experiencing the effects of our incoming Interim CEO. The transition will bring changes to how we look, how we feel, and what we say to our STAFF and SCHOLARS! During this transition we will continue to work on improving our communications across the organization, building trust with our team members and empowering each employee to speak honestly and lead boldly so that we can all perform at our best. We are committed to positively impacting our employees' experiences so that we are stronger as an organization. Achievement Prep People Team

8. 1.0

Awful

Jan 27, 2021 - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

None at all it’s awful

Cons

Literally everything and the CEO

Achievement Prep Response

Thanks for sharing. We are listening. We acknowledge that we have not always focused on the people of our organization who are key to our commitment to 100% scholars. We are deeply sorry that our people - past and present - haven't always felt valued and respected. We’ve been listening and taking steps to improve the employee experience at Achievement Prep. We have a lot of hard work to do, but we will not shy away from a challenge. We are working on: Communications - We are committed to increased transparency and cascading information to all of our team members in a timely manner. Trust - We are committed to listening to the concerns of our teachers/staff and relying upon their expertise for the benefit our scholars. Empowerment – We’ve hired an awesome staff and are committed to supporting them to speak honestly and lead boldly so that we can all perform at our best. We believe that the steps we are taking will help to positively impact our employees and to make us stronger as an organization. Achievement Prep People Team

9. 2.0
    Current Employee

Toxic work place

Oct 24, 2020 - Teacher in Washington, DC
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and driven co-workers

Cons

Leadership has all the wrong priorities and uses oppressive tactics to micromanage teachers.

3 people found this review helpful

Achievement Prep Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience at Achievement Prep. We value our teachers and strive to give our scholars the support and resources that are essential for a high-quality education during these unprecedented times. The high expectations of our teachers are meant to be rigorous and empower teachers to effectively educate scholars. Of course, we are disappointed that your time with our school hasn't been rewarding. You are more than welcome to reach out to us directly to discuss how we can improve your experience. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review and we hope to hear from you again.

10. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Toxic work environment

Nov 9, 2020 - Teacher
    Business Outlook

Pros

Teachers stick together and help each other

Cons

Leadership does not truly care about the well- being of staff. They use toxic positivity and oppressive ideas to guilt staff into working over contract hours and taking on more than a manageable workload calling it, “things all teachers do”.

2 people found this review helpful

Achievement Prep Response

Thank you for sharing your thoughts about your experience at Achievement Prep. We highly value our teachers and strive to give our scholars the support and resources that are essential for a high-quality education during these unprecedented times. The high expectations of our teachers are meant to be rigorous and empower teachers to effectively educate scholars. While we are unapologetic about our mission and our commitment to ensuring we provide an excellent education for our scholars (even during virtual learning) we also care very deeply about our teachers and are taking steps to engage and listen more. This school year, using feedback from teachers, we’ve made several changes to our daily operations (for the benefit of scholars and teachers) because the retention of our scholars and teachers is very important to us. Of course, we are disappointed that your time with our school hasn't been rewarding. You are more than welcome to reach out to us directly to discuss how we can improve your experience. Thanks again for taking the time to leave this review and we hope to hear from you again.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 82 Reviews

Achievement Prep Reviews FAQs

Achievement Prep has an overall rating of 2.0 out of 5, based on over 84 reviews left anonymously by employees. 9% of employees would recommend working at Achievement Prep to a friend and 7% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 13% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Achievement Prep employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.0 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Achievement Prep. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

9% of Achievement Prep employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Achievement Prep 1.5 out of 5 for work life balance, 1.6 for culture and values and 1.8 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Achievement Prep to be compensation, coworkers and the cons to be management, career development, senior leadership.

Popular Careers with Achievement Prep Job Seekers