Achievement Prep Reviews

Updated Mar 2, 2020

2.0
Achievement Prep Founder & Head of School Shantelle Wright (no image)
Shantelle Wright
Pros
  • "Great group of students (scholars)(in 12 reviews)

• "Some of the most hard-working teachers I've ever had the pleasure of working with(in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • "There is no real disciplinary efforts to address behavior of scholars(in 13 reviews)

• "This article mentions Achievement Prep and(in 12 reviews)

1. "Mission-Driven Team on an Upward Path"

5.0
    Current Employee - Assistant Principal

I have been working at Achievement Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

Achievement Prep has intentionally brought in a skilled, mission-aligned, and passionate team of people while downsizing to ensure scholars' needs are met. Our team is hard-working, mature, experienced, and well-positioned to lead our school through past challenges to fulfill our mission and get back to and exceed where we were when we first opened. We have examined and addressed our challenges head-on and have a plan to address each obstacle.

Cons

I've been a part of many organizations that work long hours, and while hours are long here, the team is positive, the goals are achievable and the work is much more energizing than draining!

Achievement Prep2019-08-24
  2. "Administration does not listen to Teachers or Care about students"

Current Employee - Middle School Science Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at Achievement Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

The building is nice

Cons

Administration does not support teachers. There is no real disciplinary efforts to address behavior of scholars.

Achievement Prep2020-03-02

Achievement Prep Response

March 6, 2020

Thank you for your review. We’re disappointed to hear that you're having a negative experience with the administration at Achievement Prep. Our sincere intention is to create a positive working environment for all of our teachers and administrative staff, as well as an efficient, motivated, high-performance educational experience for our scholars. Because we understand we can only improve with candid feedback, we would value the opportunity to hear from you directly about any concerns you may have. Please don't hesitate to reach out directly to Coy Nesbitt at cnesbitt@achievementprep.org.

3. "Great opportunity to make a difference"

Former Employee - Middle School Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Achievement Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people: Principal and VP are wonderful and very supportive. Most of the staff are really cool, genuine people. Everyone is professional. Great facilities and resources also.

Cons

Long work days, a lot of moving parts and responsibilities for teachers to keep their arms around. A lot of work and it can be tough if you are not committed, but if you give good effort and manage your time, you will get all the support you need.

Achievement Prep2020-01-17

"Best People I have worked with so far! Too much turn around inleadership!"

Former Employee - Associate Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Achievement Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

The people here are amazing! Peer to peer interactions are mostly positive and it’s a great place to share a laugh with your coworkers. Easy to build many meaningful personal relationships with co workers. The children are pure magic. Loved them to pieces. They will teach you more more about yourself than you can teach them. Lots of breaks during the school year. Nice facilities, inviting atmosphere.

Cons

Management can be unpleasant with staff potentially because they are overwhelmed with the amount of work required of them. Teachers feel smothered and “watched” by management. Overwhelming amounts of meetings and “collaborative” planning. Collaboration is often used to discuss schools data as a whole instead of for relevant planning at the grade level or with your co-teacher. Leadership turnaround is very quick instructional coaches who are assigned to you may quit mid-year, that work load is divided among the coaches that are left and they can’t manage so some teachers lack coaching for the remainder of the year. (depending on who your coach was this might be a pro).

Achievement Prep2020-01-08

Achievement Prep Response

February 24, 2020

Thank you for your review. We’re glad to hear about your pleasant experience with your coworkers, as well as the children. Naturally, we’re disappointed to hear that you had a negative experience with the management and workload at Achievement Prep. Our sincere intention is to create a positive working environment for all of our teachers and administrative staff, as well as an efficient, motivated, high-performance educational experience for our scholars. Because we understand we can only improve with candid feedback, we would value the opportunity to hear from you directly about any concerns you may have. If you’re still open to connecting, please reach out directly to Coy Nesbitt at cnesbitt@achievementprep.org.

5. "Work On Communication"

Former Employee - Teacher

I worked at Achievement Prep full-time

Pros

The children need strong policies in place

Cons

The communication is terrible definitely needs work

Achievement Prep2019-11-23

"Apparently, some things never change..."

Former Employee - Lead Teacher in Laurel, MD

I worked at Achievement Prep full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

1) THE CHILDREN!!! Seriously, they are wonderful to work with overall and I grew to love them as my own. 2) Fellow team members. Perhaps it was because we were all subject to the same toxicity, stress, inconsideration, and bouts of berating, but we really felt and functioned like a family. 3) #1 & #2 above

Cons

-Long hours -Pointless meetings (other than to berate staff and/or force camaraderie, e.g. DEMANDED "shout-outs" -Complete lack of empathy for staff (illness, family obligations, etc.) -Ridiculous attendance policies (and if you are absent, be prepared for a phone call urging you to come in) -"Leaders" who have zero empathy and hardened hearts I have been away from APA for a few years and I was contemplating returning with hopes that things had changed. I'm so disappointed that they haven't because I truly LOVED the children and my teammates. For anyone who thinks the negative reviews are an exaggeration, believe me, they are not. It is a very high-stress environment that I only got through with much, much prayer! And this is saddening because it really could be a great school. I'm all for order but not at the expense of not letting children be children. E.g., extremely long day with few breaks, sitting in "scholar position," teaching outdated lessons, archaic teaching norms, and I could go on. It's almost like the objective is to see just how miserable "leadership" can make things for staff and children.

Achievement Prep2019-10-14

"Great experience thus far, it's my first school year!"

4.0

I have been working at Achievement Prep full-time for less than a year

Pros

Very supportive environment, I feel as though I am apart of a family. Where the goal is for everyone to succeed.

Cons

I have no cons at the moment.

Achievement Prep2019-08-22

"Imperative: Do Not Work Here,"

Current Employee - Lead Teacher in Washington, DC

I have been working at Achievement Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

The children are bright and amazing! You will love your scholars, and they will love you back, unconditionally.

Cons

Generel Synopsis: The Network Office is full of incompetent, arrogant, and exclusive employees. The school is unsafe for scholars, parents and teachers. The staff lacks cultural responsiveness, whilst perpetuating a toxic/hostile work and learning environment. The CEO exclaims, that she is "systematically" placed in Ward 8, to help serve the community; yet she degrades parents, teachers and students. Large decisions around culture and academics are made by grossly under-qualified people. Lastly, the group within the school that should be benefiting the most, proves to be most underserved. Special education students (those who possess learning differences) are often overlooked, and DO NOT receive the help and interventions they so RIGHTFULLY DESERVE. Communication: NOTHING is Confidential. They (The network and Admin) bolsters a facade of "Hearing and Responding to Feedback" is it truly a gift? It could be, until you speak out against the higher up's, which could cost you your job. It matters not if it is in the interest of children, protected egos seems to be more important. Work Environment: There have been countless times, where the CEO or Admin have publicly ridiculed or insulted teachers. Retorts, could cost you a job or demotion. I could go on and on.... in short... this place is toxic and needs to be closed.

Achievement Prep2019-09-10

"Wonderful organization and streamlined application process!"

5.0

I have been working at Achievement Prep full-time

Pros

Strong teachers and leaders and a great climate.

Cons

No cons as of now!

Achievement Prep2019-05-29

"Do Your Research Before You Say YES"

Former Employee - Teacher in Washington, DC

I worked at Achievement Prep full-time for more than a year

Pros

The students really are the absolute BEST!You'll have an opportunity to work and build relationships with amazing children.

Cons

This school is failing themselves and the community they set out to serve. A very stressful work environment and toxic culture (poor leadership, micro-managing, high turnover rate--lots of teachers resigned in the middle of the school year, lack of consistent/effective consequences for children with egregious behaviors, no restorative justice, no school counselors). The leaders of the school pride themselves on being "strategically" placed in one of the most under-served communities in Ward 8 but have little to nothing in place to effectively serve them. Families who partner with this school deserve so much more than what they are getting. Teachers and staff are overworked and undervalued and also deserve much better.

Achievement Prep2019-06-26