Achievers Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Achievers General Manager David Brennan
David Brennan
1 Rating

Pros
  • Team work is a lot more fun with team of great people here (in 16 reviews)

• The people, the space, good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This company touts itself as a serious software company, but it is just a social cult (in 4 reviews)

• Blackhawk Network acquisition - lay off's in operational departments, driving morale and culture down (in 3 reviews)

"Great aspects, but on the downhill slide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great history, cool product, lots of passion and nice, well meaning people. It's a great market and cool space, the clients love Achievers and the product helps people feel good about work. So there's a lot to love about it, and a lot of fun times to be had.

Cons

Achievers has suffered from a lack of strong executive leadership leading up to, and continuing through it's acquisition in 2015. Lots of the "C-level" left, existing execs shy away from hard decisions and fail to set out clear strategies for where the company is going. There's a hugely conservative management approach both on the company side and especially on the technology side that has driven away a lot of talent and held back progress in the marketplace. It's not a bad place to work, but it's no longer exciting or ground-breaking...it's just another big, slow software company.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy other than whatever next big deal is hanging around the corner, speed up, take some risks and get aggressive.

"Senior Client Success Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great ideas and energy among employees and former leadership.

Cons

Not quite ready for prime time - original founder and major leadership turnover

3. "Achieve this..."

Pros

Nice people, great offices in great locations.

Cons

Not the most organized place on the planet by any remote definition.

"Overall a pretty disappointing experience"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, lots of potential for interesting work, free lunch daily.

The corporate messaging around employee engagement that gets you in the door is also reflected in their marketing, which makes you feel good about coming onboard.

Cons

Remember that great messaging around employee engagement? It's all show, at least in some key departments. Like the one churning out all that messaging which has to be one of the least engaged and least empowered teams I've ever worked with.

Senior leaders with poor people management skills somehow still advance up the corporate ladder, and are allowed to micromanage their often more experienced/competent staff. Isn't the point of hiring more experienced professionals that they can take ownership and drive results?

Although San Francisco is the headquarters, and where they've added on a large number of leadership hires in a few short months (CEO, CMO, CRO, a departed CHRO), most of the employees are in Toronto. Expect frequent travel to/from Toronto if you want to stay in the loop.

I came here thinking I'd have the opportunity to do some of the best work of my career. Instead, it has been incredibly disappointing.

Advice to Management

Either get training for your inexperienced managers who've been promoted beyond their abilities, or find them an independent contributor role before they drive out more capable employees.

You've hired some amazing A-players -- don't squander their talents!

"Wish I'd trusted the bad feeling I had during the interview process."

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, all-you-can-eat snacks and drinks, opportunities to choose your own rewards with points, a few great people, flexible schedule, amazing location.

Cons

For a company that specializes in engagement, I've rarely seen such a disengaged staff. Senior management hasn't the faintest clue what's going on, communication is dreadful, and the extreme emphasis on recognition leaves the unrecognized feeling awful. Few staff members are qualified for their jobs, although there are a few truly amazing standouts. You have to really drink the Kool-Aid to fit in here. When the in-crowd decides they don't like you, it's like Lord of the Flies.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Razor and find an actual CEO.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

Incredible feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write your review. You will be happy to hear that employee retention has increased. Employee engagement survey results indicate an ... More

"Don't be fooled"

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, Some great people, cool workspace.

Cons

EGO city! You literally need to penetrate into one of the various cliques to have a chance at this company. The CEO thinks he running a fraternity and will literally say "YES" to anything potential customers ask. IPO will never happen here, best case they get bought, but senior management who claims to be well versed in IPO actually is not. Also, caution on any positive reviews as new hires are asked to fill out a glowing review in their first 30 days.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees, they are adults. Stop lying to customers and sell what you can deliver.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

We appreciate your time in sharing your feedback. To address your concerns in regards to the leadership team, you will be happy to hear that we have appointed Patrick D. Quirk as our President and ... More

"Feel like I pledged the wrong frat and the pledge master is now hitting on my girlfriend"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a feel-good product. Who doesn't like being recognized? Clients (initially) like us and the idea of what we do for them.
    Free Food - lots of it.
    If you are "in" that week, management may be generous with points (our currency) so you can buy yourself something nice (if overpriced) from our limited catalogue.
    There are some very talented people here (caveat: they are not being utilized or recognized)
    Events and PR are outstanding. I bought into the hype, and some of our clients/prospects do too. Seriously, we should be overpaying these teams b/c they do the best things at the company.

Cons

Seriously wanted to love working here, but it just is NOT going to happen. This company touts itself as a serious software company, but it is just a social cult. If you don't like waking up on Monday wondering if management or the "cool" kids like you, then run.
    Everyone talks about going public all the time (speaks to the lack of real business experience and maturity). Really? an IPO? There are very few people here that understand what that means.
    We are not HQ'd in San Francisco. There is a presence in SF, but the leadership and direction come out of Toronto and those ideas are back in 1998 as far as how to compete and win in this space.

Advice to Management

Start over. Don't play favorites. Get a strategy to execute on what we commit to clients.
    Take the time to appreciate the talents of your employees and quit listening to the advice/gossip of the inside few - too many good people who are incredibly talented have left or been asked to leave without anyone really investing them - the revolving door is incredibly expensive.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. To help address your concern regarding our presence in San Francisco, we are headquartered there, however, we work hard to ensure a strong ... More

"My two cents"

Pros

- Free breakfast, snacks, cereals, coffee (no more lunches)
    - Flexible(ish) work hours
    - 3 weeks vacation to start
    - Decent location (if you're in the West end of Toronto)

Cons

Achievers touts itself as a work-hard and play-harder culture, and that's similar to what they're trying to project as an image to their client base. From the outside, Achievers looks amazing, especially if you're a bleeding-edge techie hoping to work for a company that feels like a startup but still comes with a salary. If this isn't your first job out of university then you'll start to understand that this work place isn't much more different than any other grey-cubicle farm besides the appearance. Personally I've never worked in an environment that was more clique-ish than Achievers. Every place that I worked at had a level of professionalism that made everyone approachable. At Achievers, they pride themselves on their level of transparency but the reality is there are social cliques so strong you feel like you ventured into the wrong neighborhood if you try to befriend a new department.

Management hasn't addressed the elephant in the room when it comes to their good employees leaving the company. I've seen over 40 people leave in droves just in this 2016 calendar year. Almost one or two people leave every week. Management thinks that this is normal because it's their first job out of school and need to move to grow (speaking in a general sense). For a company that sells a product in an effort to increase retention periods of employees, they're doing a lack-luster job themselves...

Advice to Management

Address the elephant in the room (employees leaving). Pay your employees market-rate instead of paying below market and subsidizing the difference with 5 dollar rewards to be used on an overpriced catalog.

"Great on the Outside."

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you're junior, you can have a chance to get entry-level experience, which is great to build on. Sometimes it's hard to get that chance.

If you're in software development, this is a really good place for you. The software team is protected from the things that happen at Achievers, they're a happy bunch and so they should be! :)

Company markets itself very well

Employees can use the product, which is a nice everyday bonus with points

Cons

**Disclaimer: the positive reviews you see in Achiever's profile are company-mandated. Employees get cash-equivalent rewards for writing their review when they begin at the company. The company will probably comment on this to defend themselves, but that is the bare-bone truth.

Unfortunately the company is experiencing a down-turn. Business has fallen, employees are unhappy and leaving in large numbers, there are many more competitors offering similar products.

Job security risk is a common theme amongst all teams except for software. Job risk flare-ups happen once every 7/8 months consistently.

Unstable company structure that falls apart every 6 months. Major executives get hired and fired regularly (the CEO most recently), valuable VPs leave regularly (leaving teams without direction for months on end), board members cancel/change things promised to employees without warning or explanation.

Company politics run rampant. I'm sure if you scroll past the company-mandated positive reviews, you'll find true reviews that compare Achievers to a high school. This applies even more to senior members of the company, which is scary.

Not ethical. There are long-tenured and even new managers that work on white lies and rumours. HR is not an exception unfortunately.

Advice to Management

Try to simplify your efforts, get back to your values and code of ethics. Treat people with respect and follow-through on your goals. Everyone is running in circles, afraid other groups are doing something behind their backs. It's unprofessional and, as is very evident right now, bad for business.

Mar 20, 2015 – Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the opportunity to write this review. We pride ourselves on continued transparency at Achievers, therefore we greatly appreciate feedback at any time. You are correct. We do ... More

"very limited growth opportunities"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of vacation days
    Free breakfast and lunch in office
    Good place for a junior level employee

Cons

-Very low pay and nobody cares to discuss it as the managers will just tell you how great their benefits are (the benefits are just average in fact)
    -Nepotism: tends to hire Board of Directors' relatives
    -Boring work and very limited growth opportunities, doing the same repetitive things for 2+ years even if they kept telling me how much they encourage employee growth
    -Lots of long and meaningless meetings which nobody seems to care
    -Recognition is mostly on peer basis and it is rarely given to those who don't work very interactively with others
    -Very long hours and no overtime pay
    -Celebration events are boring and are mostly shows for clients
    -Corporate culture feels more like a cult. They force people to engage in things they are not interested in
    -Also, they very intentionally encourage their employees to write positive reviews here

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employee's talents or they will just leave. It is just a moderate company and nobody has to stay here.

Jun 4, 2014 – Employee Success Representative

Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We’re happy to hear your thoughts on vacation and our breakfast and lunch perks. It’s important that we help provide the fuel for our employees to ... More