Achievers Reviews | Glassdoor

Achievers General Manager David Brennan
David Brennan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Because things are constantly changing, much of the work is last-minute tasks with close deadlines (in 4 reviews)

• young, cliquey (like high school as some of the other reviews stated) (in 4 reviews)

"Good perks, mediocre management, lots of turnover"

I have been working at Achievers (More than a year)

Pros

Great product, friendly co-workers, good benefits and perks, competitive salary, senior leadership is great, and the overall company culture is pretty laid-back.

Cons

Abnormally high amount of turnover, especially in management. The organization does not move quickly enough in hiring to remain optimally functional. Opportunities for advancement are minimal, growth of the company has slowed significantly, parent company is terrible.

Advice to Management

Changing the way the world works should be an internal practice and not just a slogan.

"Great aspects, but on the downhill slide"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great history, cool product, lots of passion and nice, well meaning people. It's a great market and cool space, the clients love Achievers and the product helps people feel good about work. So there's a lot to love about it, and a lot of fun times to be had.

Cons

Achievers has suffered from a lack of strong executive leadership leading up to, and continuing through it's acquisition in 2015. Lots of the "C-level" left, existing execs shy away from hard decisions and fail to set out clear strategies for where the company is going. There's a hugely conservative management approach both on the company side and especially on the technology side that has driven away a lot of talent and held back progress in the marketplace. It's not a bad place to work, but it's no longer exciting or ground-breaking...it's just another big, slow software company.

Advice to Management

Pick a strategy other than whatever next big deal is hanging around the corner, speed up, take some risks and get aggressive.

"Senior Client Success Manager"

Former Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Client Success Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great ideas and energy among employees and former leadership.

Cons

Not quite ready for prime time - original founder and major leadership turnover

"Achieve this..."

Pros

Nice people, great offices in great locations.

Cons

Not the most organized place on the planet by any remote definition.

"Overall a pretty disappointing experience"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great location, lots of potential for interesting work, free lunch daily.

The corporate messaging around employee engagement that gets you in the door is also reflected in their marketing, which makes you feel good about coming onboard.

Cons

Remember that great messaging around employee engagement? It's all show, at least in some key departments. Like the one churning out all that messaging which has to be one of the least engaged and least empowered teams I've ever worked with.

Senior leaders with poor people management skills somehow still advance up the corporate ladder, and are allowed to micromanage their often more experienced/competent staff. Isn't the point of hiring more experienced professionals that they can take ownership and drive results?

Although San Francisco is the headquarters, and where they've added on a large number of leadership hires in a few short months (CEO, CMO, CRO, a departed CHRO), most of the employees are in Toronto. Expect frequent travel to/from Toronto if you want to stay in the loop.

I came here thinking I'd have the opportunity to do some of the best work of my career. Instead, it has been incredibly disappointing.

Advice to Management

Either get training for your inexperienced managers who've been promoted beyond their abilities, or find them an independent contributor role before they drive out more capable employees.

You've hired some amazing A-players -- don't squander their talents!

"Wish I'd trusted the bad feeling I had during the interview process."

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, all-you-can-eat snacks and drinks, opportunities to choose your own rewards with points, a few great people, flexible schedule, amazing location.

Cons

For a company that specializes in engagement, I've rarely seen such a disengaged staff. Senior management hasn't the faintest clue what's going on, communication is dreadful, and the extreme emphasis on recognition leaves the unrecognized feeling awful. Few staff members are qualified for their jobs, although there are a few truly amazing standouts. You have to really drink the Kool-Aid to fit in here. When the in-crowd decides they don't like you, it's like Lord of the Flies.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Razor and find an actual CEO.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

Incredible feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write your review. You will be happy to hear that employee retention has increased. Employee engagement survey results indicate an... More

"Don't be fooled"

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, Some great people, cool workspace.

Cons

EGO city! You literally need to penetrate into one of the various cliques to have a chance at this company. The CEO thinks he running a fraternity and will literally say "YES" to anything potential customers ask. IPO will never happen here, best case they get bought, but senior management who claims to be well versed in IPO actually is not. Also, caution on any positive reviews as new hires are asked to fill out a glowing review in their first 30 days.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees, they are adults. Stop lying to customers and sell what you can deliver.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

We appreciate your time in sharing your feedback. To address your concerns in regards to the leadership team, you will be happy to hear that we have appointed Patrick D. Quirk as our President and... More

"Feel like I pledged the wrong frat and the pledge master is now hitting on my girlfriend"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a feel-good product. Who doesn't like being recognized? Clients (initially) like us and the idea of what we do for them.
    Free Food - lots of it.
    If you are "in" that week, management may be generous with points (our currency) so you can buy yourself something nice (if overpriced) from our limited catalogue.
    There are some very talented people here (caveat: they are not being utilized or recognized)
    Events and PR are outstanding. I bought into the hype, and some of our clients/prospects do too. Seriously, we should be overpaying these teams b/c they do the best things at the company.

Cons

Seriously wanted to love working here, but it just is NOT going to happen. This company touts itself as a serious software company, but it is just a social cult. If you don't like waking up on Monday wondering if management or the "cool" kids like you, then run.
    Everyone talks about going public all the time (speaks to the lack of real business experience and maturity). Really? an IPO? There are very few people here that understand what that means.
    We are not HQ'd in San Francisco. There is a presence in SF, but the leadership and direction come out of Toronto and those ideas are back in 1998 as far as how to compete and win in this space.

Advice to Management

Start over. Don't play favorites. Get a strategy to execute on what we commit to clients.
    Take the time to appreciate the talents of your employees and quit listening to the advice/gossip of the inside few - too many good people who are incredibly talented have left or been asked to leave without anyone really investing them - the revolving door is incredibly expensive.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. To help address your concern regarding our presence in San Francisco, we are headquartered there, however, we work hard to ensure a strong... More

9. "not what it appears"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Achievers full-time

Pros

environment & culture, people (some, not all!)

Cons

- young, cliquey (like high school as some of the other reviews stated)
    - politics between parent company and Achievers
    - manual processes
    - career opportunities
    - communication from management

Advice to Management

listen to the good and smart people you hired

"Great product but a lot of internal drama"

Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Former Employee - Customer Service Representative in Toronto, ON (Canada)

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Product
    - CEO
    - Breakfast
    - Casual dress code
    - Location

Cons

- Young management
    - High school drama
    - No growth potential unless you are friends with the managers.
    - Super young kids managing teams.
    - Moody people- starting from the front desk.
    - very cliquish!!!!!!