Achievers Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Achievers General Manager David Brennan
David Brennan

Pros
Cons
  • This company touts itself as a serious software company, but it is just a social cult (in 4 reviews)

• I'm sure if you scroll past the company-mandated positive reviews, you'll find true reviews that compare Achievers to a high school (in 3 reviews)

"Sales"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great work life balance, solid management team (both senior leadership and frontline managers), fun/progressive/transparent culture, cool product that actually delivers ROI for customers and improves the quality of people's lives. Biggest pro is the amazing people who work here.

Cons

The downside to having a chronically encouraging/positive work culture is that there's a pattern of people in the company straying away from providing constructive feedback. Also, the employees of the parent company, Blackhawk, tend to have the mentality of government workers so it can be frustrating to deal with HR and legal.

Advice to Management

The key to our success is lies within continuing to be honest and transparent with the employee base. The fact that you treat us like humans, listen to us, and admit when you made a mistake is so rare and respectable. That's what makes loyal employees! Let's not forget that.

2. "Fast-paced company with lots of excitement"

Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is amazing and the leadership seems to care about the employees. The daily meetings are a great way to keep the company up to date, and most importantly sales are increasing steadily. Promotions and internal movement seem to be a regular thing. The medical and dental benefits are REALLY good. Everyone just seems to have a really good positive attitude which makes it easy to come into work everyday.

Cons

No matching 401K. Because it is an open area, it can get a bit noisy, but nothing that headsets won't take care of.

Advice to Management

Keep the growth coming and the emphasis on sales. Continue to foster internal growth and provide opportunities to advance within the company.

3. "A company you want to be a part of"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great culture.
    Fantastic, smart people.
    Growing company and exciting growth in industry.
    Very generous benefits. Amazing start at 4 week vacation.
    Promotes from within and focused on company values.
    A serious contender and leader in the recognition technology space.

Cons

Moves fast - not for everyone.
    A lot of change (if you consider it a con).
    Leadership has changed a few times recently - but decisions made to move things forward positively.

Advice to Management

Scale culture because of rapid growth

"Amazing internship experience!"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I truly enjoy coming to work everyday! Achievers has a positive, upbeat and super friendly environment that made me feel at home almost immediately. As an intern, I feel like I hit the jackpot. I am learning extremely useful skills and building my resume daily. (No coffee runs for this internship!) I have been challenged with projects, and even get to interact with higher level management (VP level). On Friday afternoons there is social drinking in the office which has allowed me to get to know co-workers from different departments. As if that wasn't enough- you also get free lunch everyday, which was a huge bonus in my book. I am gaining amazing experience at a growing company. Can't stop bragging about how great my internship is!

Cons

If you don't like being social or meeting new people you would probably not do well in this environment. Also, things are always changing so adaptability is a must!

Advice to Management

None

"A Place to Enjoy Going to Work Everyday"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been with the Company for 9 months now. When I started it seemed like it was too good to be true, I assumed that once I was settled then reality would set in and the energy and work environment would become just like any other work place. Nine months later this is not the case. I still enjoy going to work everyday, Sunday's are no longer miserable because Monday is just around the corner.

The Leadership truly cares about their employees. They not only care about their employees today but also where their employees want to go and their career growth. Another pro is the balance of work/personal life. We work hard and things move extremely fast but we are always encouraged to maintain what is important to us in our personal lives.

Cons

Like the other reviews have said, there is the occasional craziness related to any start up. This has significantly improved within the past month or so due to some key leaders joining the company.

"Fast paced, customer and employee focused!"

Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Client Success Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

At Achievers, we understand that it is our employees that make us so successful. We are constantly growing, and adapting to that growth, but through that what has remained constant is the value that is placed on making employees feel like their hard work is valued and will be acknowledged. When our employees meet targets and deliver on customer expectations there is a significant amount of public praise that is placed on those employees. On top of performance based recognition incentives, we have a generous benefit package, which includes fitness subsidies, in office lunch, 4 paid volunteer days per year. On top of that, our leaders are not elitist, everyone is given an opportunity to reach out to leaders to give feedback, ask questions, and ask for help.

Cons

There is never a slow moment here, so if you are someone who prefers to coast along, this gig is not for you. as we strive to become more scalable, our processes our constantly changing, so you can never fully adapt before it is going to change again.

Advice to Management

Continue to give opportunities to existing employees to grow, rather than always going outside to hire.

"My first 3 months have been amazing!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Product - Software that is just a bit ahead of the market allows us to drive vision and value.
    Great Leaders - Experience leadership demonstrates how to manage and grow a business
    Great People - I'm very impressed that as a start-up everyone has a role and does their job amazingly.
    Great Visionary - Razor, is the inspiration both internally with employees as well as externally with clients.
    Amazing Culture - Everyone has everyone else's back. All pulling on the same side of the rope.
    Income opportunity is there too..

Cons

-Achievers is still a relatively young company so there are operational issues that are still being addressed.

Advice to Management

Maintain the culture & continue to take care of the customers.

"Great technology and team, lots of opportunity for growth"

Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great culture, experienced leadership, the HR technology space is hot and being the #1 provider in the industry means Achievers is poised to take off.

Cons

This may or may not be a con, but things move fast around here and are changing everyday. You must be agile and adapt to meet the large opportunity Achievers is chasing.

Advice to Management

Continue to work towards growing and training the talent you have so employees stay excited about advancement opportunities within the company.

"Amazing team-oriented company that knows their biggest asset is their employees."

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Young and vibrant company where people come to work excited, positive and ready to work. We celebrate our company's success as a team and everyone is encouraged to push the boundaries and grow into the career that they want. Transparency is a necessity and everyone in the company always knows what's going on and where we're going.

Cons

Any rapidly growing software company will say the same thing but we've recently had a large number of executives join recently who don't necessarily embrace the culture in the same way we have in the past. Not to say that they don't embrace it because they do but Achievers traditions are very special and important and sometimes higher executives don't necessarily see it as a priority.

"Great company, great market, great leadership team"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First of all, the product and value proposition is awesome - our job is literally to create programs that make people happier about their job on a day to day basis. I've worked for plenty of software companies and never had such a great mission to work towards.

Also, the overall energy and culture is great. People care about each other, work hard, have fun and communicate well. I haven't noticed any of the "cliques" that other reviews seem to talk about, maybe that's just based on my group and location but everything I see is pretty awesome.

Our new leadership (CEO, CMO, SVP of Product, Chairman of Board, CRO) is world class, and is pushing us in a great overall direction. We've had good success to date in the market and we're just scratching the surface of the opportunity, so the upside right now feels pretty tremendous.

Also, as a married person with a kid, it's refreshing to find a company with all the intensity of a start-up which doesn't somehow assume I'm going to be at work 12 hours a day. I put in a solid day, work really hard, answer a few emails when needed from home - and work life balance is very easy to attain without feeling I'm not "making the grade."

Sure, there's typical "fast growing company" pains - sometimes things are a little hectic, communication is always evolving, etc. - but that's to be expected and everyone is earnestly trying to do the right thing so it's easy to do the same.

Cons

It being a fast growing company, there's always a new person or new initiative to accommodate. It's a fast paced environment, and if you don't like that or want something less exciting and less challenging, I would see that as a drawback.

Sometimes communication between groups can be less than perfect as we navigation a two office structure (SF & Toronto), but that's improving every day.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing to grow the company while keeping the culture, emphasize inclusiveness and merit-based rewards, and grow, grow, grow!