Achievers Reviews | Glassdoor

Achievers Reviews

Updated November 24, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Team work is a lot more fun with team of great people here (in 16 reviews)

• The people, the space, good work/life balance (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • This company touts itself as a serious software company, but it is just a social cult (in 4 reviews)

• Blackhawk Network acquisition - lay off's in operational departments, driving morale and culture down (in 3 reviews)

"6 weeks in and confirming the org is as advertised."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

high energy vibe in a proven business with great opportunity for growth ahead

Cons

typical start-up growing pains, lack of maturity in some processes but this is all expected.

Advice to Management

After 6 weeks, keep doing what you are doing.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

Thank you for your review. We are definitely in an exciting stage of high growth! We have seen 80% growth over the past few years and plan to continue to build onto this. You are absolutely right ... More

"Wish I'd trusted the bad feeling I had during the interview process."

I have been working at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free lunch, all-you-can-eat snacks and drinks, opportunities to choose your own rewards with points, a few great people, flexible schedule, amazing location.

Cons

For a company that specializes in engagement, I've rarely seen such a disengaged staff. Senior management hasn't the faintest clue what's going on, communication is dreadful, and the extreme emphasis on recognition leaves the unrecognized feeling awful. Few staff members are qualified for their jobs, although there are a few truly amazing standouts. You have to really drink the Kool-Aid to fit in here. When the in-crowd decides they don't like you, it's like Lord of the Flies.

Advice to Management

Get rid of Razor and find an actual CEO.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

Incredible feedback, we appreciate you taking the time to write your review. You will be happy to hear that employee retention has increased. Employee engagement survey results indicate an ... More

"Poor excuse for a company"

I worked at Achievers full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food like every other startup in SF.
    Colleagues are nice and friendly, but you definitely have to make an effort to fit in with the team which means drinking the "kool-aid."

Cons

This company is a complete oxymoron. All they do is pitch employee engagement and recognition, yet I have never worked at a company with worse morale or turnover. The management team is all about telling you how great the company is, yet their actions do not support that. In my career, I have learned that a strong company consists of a strong leadership team who has the experience and vision to lead a company in the right direction, a product that works, and employees who are smarter than you. This company has none of that. Also, it is run more like a fraternity than a company, where culture is forced down your throat. Their "culture" is defined by spending 24 hours a day together, partying on the weekends, and not the shared values of the employees. Those who hang out with Razor are given preferential treatment and growth is not based on talent. Unfortunately, you don't realize how unhealthy the environment is until you leave. Given how much hiring is going on in tech these days, I would strongly recommend avoiding this company at all costs.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

Thank you very much for your feedback. Rest assured that when hiring our employees, we ensure that we see a fit within our culture. As we hold a strong cultural compass, you will find that many of ... More

"Don't be fooled"

I worked at Achievers full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free food, Some great people, cool workspace.

Cons

EGO city! You literally need to penetrate into one of the various cliques to have a chance at this company. The CEO thinks he running a fraternity and will literally say "YES" to anything potential customers ask. IPO will never happen here, best case they get bought, but senior management who claims to be well versed in IPO actually is not. Also, caution on any positive reviews as new hires are asked to fill out a glowing review in their first 30 days.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to employees, they are adults. Stop lying to customers and sell what you can deliver.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

We appreciate your time in sharing your feedback. To address your concerns in regards to the leadership team, you will be happy to hear that we have appointed Patrick D. Quirk as our President and ... More

"Feel like I pledged the wrong frat and the pledge master is now hitting on my girlfriend"

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is a feel-good product. Who doesn't like being recognized? Clients (initially) like us and the idea of what we do for them.
    Free Food - lots of it.
    If you are "in" that week, management may be generous with points (our currency) so you can buy yourself something nice (if overpriced) from our limited catalogue.
    There are some very talented people here (caveat: they are not being utilized or recognized)
    Events and PR are outstanding. I bought into the hype, and some of our clients/prospects do too. Seriously, we should be overpaying these teams b/c they do the best things at the company.

Cons

Seriously wanted to love working here, but it just is NOT going to happen. This company touts itself as a serious software company, but it is just a social cult. If you don't like waking up on Monday wondering if management or the "cool" kids like you, then run.
    Everyone talks about going public all the time (speaks to the lack of real business experience and maturity). Really? an IPO? There are very few people here that understand what that means.
    We are not HQ'd in San Francisco. There is a presence in SF, but the leadership and direction come out of Toronto and those ideas are back in 1998 as far as how to compete and win in this space.

Advice to Management

Start over. Don't play favorites. Get a strategy to execute on what we commit to clients.
    Take the time to appreciate the talents of your employees and quit listening to the advice/gossip of the inside few - too many good people who are incredibly talented have left or been asked to leave without anyone really investing them - the revolving door is incredibly expensive.

Oct 9, 2013 – Employee Success Representative

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. To help address your concern regarding our presence in San Francisco, we are headquartered there, however, we work hard to ensure a strong ... More

"A professionally managed company"

Current Employee - Human Resource in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Human Resource in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Achievers full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I love working for Achievers because it is a professionally managed company that uses a professional approach to handle its blue chip customers HR and Financial consulting requests.

Cons

Limited availability of high end training. Low to mid end training is provided

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you do best. Consulting in HR

8. "Great workplace with some limitations"

I worked at Achievers full-time

Pros

Great culture and general vibe. Working and having direct impact on customer's employee engagement. Catered lunches a few days a week

Cons

Guidance was a bit lacking. Didn't feel like there was enough room to grow.

Advice to Management

Truly live by your company motto. Don't just keep it on the surface level.

"Coordinator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Pros

Achievers is one of the best organizations I have ever been apart of. You have the opportunity to collaborate and work with peers. It's a true work hard/play hard mentality. Leaders here are exceptional and treat everyone at the same level regardless of status. Every leader has an open door policy and peers are always around to help you out when you're in a frump. Everyone goes above and beyond and you can truly see inspired and motivated individuals.

Cons

Commuting to the west end if you don't live in Liberty Village.

"Great place to work!"

Pros

Achievers is full of passionate, fun and hard working people. You can sense the energy the minute you walk in those doors. I recently got hired and I must say the interview process was smooth and the recruiter did a great job with following up with me and keeping me in the loop.

Cons

There is no free parking.

"My two cents"

Pros

- Free breakfast, snacks, cereals, coffee (no more lunches)
    - Flexible(ish) work hours
    - 3 weeks vacation to start
    - Decent location (if you're in the West end of Toronto)

Cons

Achievers touts itself as a work-hard and play-harder culture, and that's similar to what they're trying to project as an image to their client base. From the outside, Achievers looks amazing, especially if you're a bleeding-edge techie hoping to work for a company that feels like a startup but still comes with a salary. If this isn't your first job out of university then you'll start to understand that this work place isn't much more different than any other grey-cubicle farm besides the appearance. Personally I've never worked in an environment that was more clique-ish than Achievers. Every place that I worked at had a level of professionalism that made everyone approachable. At Achievers, they pride themselves on their level of transparency but the reality is there are social cliques so strong you feel like you ventured into the wrong neighborhood if you try to befriend a new department.

Management hasn't addressed the elephant in the room when it comes to their good employees leaving the company. I've seen over 40 people leave in droves just in this 2016 calendar year. Almost one or two people leave every week. Management thinks that this is normal because it's their first job out of school and need to move to grow (speaking in a general sense). For a company that sells a product in an effort to increase retention periods of employees, they're doing a lack-luster job themselves...

Advice to Management

Address the elephant in the room (employees leaving). Pay your employees market-rate instead of paying below market and subsidizing the difference with 5 dollar rewards to be used on an overpriced catalog.