Acme Brick Reviews | Glassdoor

Dennis Knautz

1. "Packager"

Current Employee - Packaging in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Packaging in Denton, TX

I have been working at Acme Brick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family oriented, if you have legitimate reasons for needing to miss work in regards to your family, they will work with you. Do your job right, work hard and they will take care of you in return.

Cons

Other departments not doing their job correctly, which causes our department to do twice the work with half the production. This is a con because we are paid production pay, so if they screw up it directly affects our paychecks.

Advice to Management

Direct supervisors are great, perhaps plant leaders could hold other departments more accountable for their ongoing mistakes.

"Worst place"

Former Employee - Customer Service/Inside Sales in Temple, TX
    Former Employee - Customer Service/Inside Sales in Temple, TX

I worked at Acme Brick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They offer great benefits and perks

Cons

Ran by poor management, they should offer employees better pay.

Advice to Management

Work on your people skills, learn to treat everyone equally. Reach out to your employees for their concerns, thoughts and views. When you have a turn over rate look at your office manager, that's where the problem is. If you have a bad boss how can keep good employees? Based off my bad experience here, I will never give positive reviews on acme. I was the only bilingual person there and I brought this to the attention of the regional manager and HR. They knew that Texas has tons of non speaking customers. They did not want to pay me for bilingual, but expected me to use my skills. I should have reported them to EEOC, but I ended up finding a better place, better pay and where they value their employees. Til this day I'm shocked that HR allowed management to treat me with such discrimination. Shame on Acme brick management.

"Anonymous"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Dallas, TX

I worked at Acme Brick full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Largest market share in industry.

Cons

No innovative products being developed. Compensation substandard per industry, employee benefits being reduced. .e.. 401k, pension, car program, etc have been slashed, pay raises nonexistent.

Advice to Management

Cultural change initiative was not fully implemented. There seems to be a large disconnect between professed priority of "Associates are our most important asset" and reality. Lowest pay rates in the industry needs to be addressed to attract and retain good employees. HR strategy to replace a plethora of soon to be retired employees seems to be non existent.

4. "Overall good company"

Former Employee - Network Engineer in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Network Engineer in Fort Worth, TX

I worked at Acme Brick (More than a year)

Pros

Good work life balance. Great people. Good benefits and compensation.

Cons

Not well defined areas of responsibility
    Management keeps passing the buck
    Don't recognize the good talrnt they have

Advice to Management

Quit with the swinging door for contractors, if you bring someone on as a contract to hire and extend the contract multiple times then after a year decide to cut them off, other contractors are going to catch word of it. Not just me, at least 3 others that came on at the same time I did got the same treatment.

"Sales Office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

A Berkshire Hathaway company. They have the ability to keep each office in business even when sales are down. Upper management works diligently to develop a good culture. The benefits are ok. Medical, dental, 401k. Vision. Best price for associate only. Family adds a lot to cost.

Cons

The upper mgmt doesn't live the culture they try to promote. The many layers of management confuse everything. Raises are not on performance but on %. Not fair to all. Local managers are left without much support in the job. Not all are good fits to the job but once you are in, and keep under the radar,. you can do whatever without upper mgmt noticing. Any one can advance but not on skill, but on good ole boy time and making friends with the right ones. As people leave they are not replaced, so those left are overworked and not appreciated. Revolving door of workers due to culture.

Advice to Management

Local managers need mentoring support. And associates contributions should be seen by more than local managers who are sometimes biased. More testing to get quality workers and pay to keep them.

6. "Kiln fireman"

Current Employee - Kiln Fireman/Machinist Operator in Sealy, TX
    Current Employee - Kiln Fireman/Machinist Operator in Sealy, TX

I have been working at Acme Brick full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Easy-going work environment with the opportunity for long term employment

Cons

Silicates are a constant hazard plus the irratating smell of raw gas and flash gas in the air

7. "..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Krum, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Krum, TX

I have been working at Acme Brick (More than 8 years)

Pros

Acme has tried hard to develop a culture that allows everyone to buy into what upper management is doing. The managers a generally family-oriented and I feel care about the individual.

Cons

Management is very slow to change. The world moves at a quicker rate than do decisions made.

Advice to Management

Keep abreast of what market structures loo like (like I'm sure you do anyway) and apply it by compensating your workers at equal levels as your local workforce competition!

8. "Machine Operator"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denton, TX

I have been working at Acme Brick full-time

Pros

Lots of overtime in peak season, will become in shape and gain stamina and great work experience

Cons

Tons of lay-off and turn-overs when hiring through a temp service, one day may have help another all alone

9. "Installation Supervisor"

Former Employee - Installation Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX
    Former Employee - Installation Supervisor in Fort Worth, TX

Pros

The management was always encouraging even when sales were slow at Patina Flooring (an Acme Brick subsidiary).

Cons

Sales were to slow and Patina Flooring eventually closed all 3 stores. Sadly, this put a number of people out of a job. The structure was all wrong.

Advice to Management

Before creating another venture like Patina Flooring study the competitive market and models and create something similar.

"Not recommendable"

Former Employee - PLC Technician in Round Rock, TX
    Former Employee - PLC Technician in Round Rock, TX

I worked at Acme Brick (More than a year)

Pros

Decent pay, good co -workers.

Cons

Huge work load. Plant operates at 365/27/7 environment so if there is not enough coverage, you will be working every holiday of the year.

Advice to Management

Listen to employees