Acquia Reviews | Glassdoor

1.0
Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson
Thomas Erickson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over time the work life balance has become better (in 5 reviews)

• You work with the best talent in Open Source , you will have lots of exposure to the (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance used to be way worse than it is today but can still remain a challenge in certain departments (e (in 8 reviews)

• they dont even take an approval or anything and no one asks them (in 5 reviews)

"No training structure for employees"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Burlington, MA

I worked at Acquia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Strong leadership, great products, free beer and snacks!

Cons

No sales training for new employees, not willing to invest in employees long term. Very "sink or swim" right from day 1.

"Less Fun Than Advertised"

I worked at Acquia full-time

Pros

The people I worked with at Acquia were some of the nicest, most professional, most engaged coworkers with whom I've ever worked.

Cons

Sound management and leadership are sorely lacking throughout the chain of command. Since moving to Boston the decline in worker morale has been evident, although this was perhaps inevitable.

Advice to Management

Not sure what to say other than to suggest focusing more on substance and less on frills. Making a company a great place to work takes more than two kegs of beer in the kitchen and monthly/quarterly speeches.

Mar 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. I'm sorry your experience at Acquia did not meet your expectations. Working in a fast paced company is not for everyone, and as we have grown the company has needed to... More

"Join Acquia India to be a better Politician"

Current Employee - Software Developer in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Software Developer in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You'll get the chance to work with big drupal shop in India

Good salary comparative to other drupal shops in India

Cons

No Job Security. Leadership peoples could put you on performance if you're not a good butt licker of any of the leadership team member.

If you want to get promoted in the company, be sure to be the better butt licker of the peoples in the leadership because there your KRA does not matter.

People who shout about the rules of WFH and Remote Policy does not really care about it. If any of us have to take any leave then it requires approval but some employees are enjoying all the privilege and even not come to the office for months even they are Delhi Employees.

If you don't believe above, check with your connects in Acquia India.You'll get to know about the culture.You're welcome if you want to be a better politician and know how to handle it.

Advice to Management

Top leadership team members in India are making money by awarding projects to the companies they like.

If you really want to know about the situation of Acquia India, then do the 1:1 with all the employees on the general basis not on the selective basis which usually happens when someone visits from outside Acquia India.

Don't show discrimination with your policies

"It's a messy place for work"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New Delhi (India)
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in New Delhi (India)

I worked at Acquia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good office. Some good people.

Cons

A bad place to work with lots of discrimination. check with anyone you know who work at Acquia Delhi. They can confirm this truths. There are a set of employees who enjoys all privilege. They work from home whenever they wish. They work remotely for months together even though they are delhi employees. they dont even take an approval or anything and no one asks them. they take month-long vacations for not critical reasons and no one questioned. But when a regular employee like you or me take a long leave or work from home, it needs a lot of approvals and questioned. many of us stay away from home and family working in delhi. it is hard to see ourselves being forced to office. not something to complain since i joined for delhi office. but when you see some people enjoying discrimination privilges and no one ask while we have to answer for everything, it feels really bad.

Advice to Management

get ur policies straight. dont show discrimination.

Dec 27, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. It's not clear which department you worked for, but as virtually all of our India operations fall under Preston Bradford, our COO, I asked him to reply. "Thank you for... More

"Stay away from india if you are dev"

Current Employee - Developer in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Developer in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Acquia (More than a year)

Pros

You get to work with very talented people. but they are not one that will be your manager.

Cons

Scene in India is pathetic. Leadership is very fond of my manager who knows nothing technically and does nothing to help us. Not good boss as well. I dont know how is she promoted to India lead. She hardly know any stuff. Literally cant debug anything. CHALLENGE. We get no help from her and always depend on other teams for help.

Culture is shocking. We are scolded publicly infront of everyone for small mishaps. i am nt afraid to face it but it could have been said in more respectful manner to me in person. feels bad to be shamed publicly infront of others.

i dont know what she will be doing all day. No technical help to anyone. And always acts like she is busy 24x7. says she is managing project while there is another pm who is doing all management. no one can dare to say anything against her coz she is pet of leadership and she is technical lead.

2 employes who turned against her were put on performance plan made to leave. he is doing great in other drupal company that he joined and is star performer there. this should say large number of items about what is happening.

if you are dev, you will be reporting to her. stay away from acquia india. if you are not dev, stay away. culture sucks in india team.

DONT TAKE MY WORD. find a friend who knows someone working in acquia india and who can talk to you in person and find out truth yourself before joining.

Advice to Management

get into reality mode. work with the devs for a day to understand what we are facing. see what is happening inside.

Feb 19, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. It's a big week this week for Acquia in India, with Drupalcon happening in Mumbai and many of our execs in the country. As you are an employee, and we sent every... More

"Stay Away (For India)"

Current Employee - Technical Architect in New Delhi (India)
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in New Delhi (India)

I have been working at Acquia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There were very few or no Pros which I can remember in Indian Scenario. 1. You get to work with some good people outside India. 2. If you have good market value be ready for getting extra perks as referral bonuses. I think some people only work for/on it. Get your expectations to the lowest if you are working with Acquia India it stands nowhere close to Parent Acquia.

Cons

1. People being hired without Proper interviews on personal preferences. 2. Leadership team or Higher Mgmt in India Sucks 3. Unnecessary Expenses being reimbursed by Leadership. 4. No budgets at all for even buying a matchstick. 5. Work like a dog even on holidays. 6. Accounts is screwed up, no proper setup done for Indian Employees. 7. No medical benefits. 8. Micro Management 9. Egoistic people in India. 10. People hurting each other mentally and emotionally. 11. No one is upfront and they will back stab you. 12. Be ready for budget cutting. 13. No personal growth 14. Favoritism 15. Butt Licking 16. Hard Mails flooding Inbox 17. Hard on Budgets even for attending DrupalCon Asia which is going to be in Mumbai. 18. Stinking Office. 19. WFH policy only for leadership. 20. 1:1 for doing WFH 21. No proper direction for India team. 22. If you have a preference it will never be given. 23. Discouraging. 24. Judgmental attitude. 25. 5-7 percent salary hike at max. 26. Unskilled people getting hired. 27. Understaffed project being run to maximize profits. 28. Leadership team will never work from office. 29. Jeopardizing. 30. Politics at full swing. 31. Everything has to be formal in Email no personal connect with colleagues. 32. Untrustworthy Environment/People. Talk to your friends/connects before even applying in India. Working with this team is not exciting. Only come if you want to be a politician and know how to handle it well.

Advice to Management

1. Please focus more on growth in India rather than just giving power to some people. 2. Be actual and don't let people/leadership wear many faces.

Feb 5, 2016 – CEO

I'm disappointed you feel this way about your Acquia India experience. As I have mentioned in other Glassdoor replies, I urge anyone who's not happy to come and talk to me. I've never turned away... More

"UK office is as bad as it gets"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Acquia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The open-source community behind Drupal is great and some of that culture trickles into the Reading office. You really feel and understand it more when in the US. Love the support and tech side of the company. Proximity to the centre of Reading isn't bad either.

Cons

Too many to mention but I'll give it a try. A very authoritarian culture on the sales side of things with loads of company politics. Acquia has by far the worst culture I've ever experienced at a company. It often feels like mid management is actively trying to set you up for failure. People are very rarely recognised for doing great thing and often punished for things out of their control. Don't expect much training or mentorship as they've gotten rid of everybody that provided that, either by making them redundant or by bulling them until they leave. I honestly wouldn't recommend anybody to work here. I hope the culture changed since I worked there but I highly doubt it based on the people still employed.

Advice to Management

Get rid of middle management and start focusing on building culture where people can thrive. You would be amazed at the results this could bring. Macho culture in sales was great in Banking in the mid 80s not today in IT. The foundation is great but needs to be put into practice.

Feb 5, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. Obviously disappointing from my perspective, it would be very helpful to listen first hand to your thoughts. The HR team in Reading knows how to... More

"Great company but management still experiencing teething problems."

I have been working at Acquia full-time

Pros

This company has great potential with some amazing success stories over the last few years. Great rates of pay.

Cons

Very little training provided. Expected to work several extra hours a week.

Advice to Management

Dysfuntional Management still need to be more realistic about their goals and there is too much overruling.

Aug 5, 2014 – CEO

I would love to hear more about what you think we could do better. As you are still an employee, it's easy to get some time with me, I do it frequently with others. I would like to understand what... More

"One company I would never work for again!"

I worked at Acquia (Less than a year)

Pros

The salary was ok, but not the added pressure of the environment

Cons

No Strategy
    No Management responsibility
    No stability in the company (hire and fire mentality)
    No retention plan
    No Career Development
    No support at all
    No respect for fellow colleagues

Advice to Management

Rather than just throw people in at the deep end and let them sink. Would it not be better to hire the right people and retain them by giving them support and the relevant training for their chosen markets. A few dodgy leads from Africa and Asia will not help grow the European business!

Aug 5, 2014 – CEO

We clearly missed the mark in your time at Acquia. Based on your comments, I am guessing that you were based in the UK in sales. Certainly, our growth there had some bumps. We moved some staff... More

"Great people, horrible management"

Former Employee - Sales in Reading, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Sales in Reading, England (UK)

I worked at Acquia full-time

Pros

Acquia EMEA had some great people. Unfortunately middle/senior management pushed them all out. Nice office but not great location for acquiring and retaining talent. The tech and support side of things run very smoothly. Great people there and middle management there knows what it takes to keep people happy both on the customer side and employee side of things. Wish I could say the same of sales. Also, really believe in the product and the passion of those working to improve it.

Cons

Very cut-throat culture for the sales team. The "you're only as good as your last quarter" mentality has never been as true as here. And even if you do well but don't play their political games you stand the chance of being given the boot. You're not encouraged to think for yourself at all. The weather in the UK changes less than process, procedures and structure at Acquia (Not to mention employees). This was literally the worse job I ever had but with the highest potential. If only they would get their act together.

Advice to Management

I would advise senior management in the US to take a very close look at what's happening in the EMEA office. With the high level of staff turnover for more than a year and a half now they must realise that the problem lies more with management than with the sales team. People don't even get the chance to finish their ramp-plan before getting pushed out. You'll never have a fully functioning sales team if you don't provide the proper training or push them out before they even had a chance. You need to get a proper sales structure in and stick to it. Listen more to your employees as they are at the frontline with your customers. They hear the a

May 22, 2014 – CEO

I'm sorry that your experience at Acquia was not a positive one. I personally have made several trips to Europe to ensure our initiatives there were on track. We've made some mistakes for sure... More