Acquia Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 21, 2017

Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson
Thomas Erickson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Over time the work life balance has become better (in 5 reviews)

• You work with the best talent in Open Source , you will have lots of exposure to the (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance used to be way worse than it is today but can still remain a challenge in certain departments (e (in 8 reviews)

• they dont even take an approval or anything and no one asks them (in 5 reviews)

"A great culture but misplaced priorities"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Boston, MA

I have been working at Acquia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Hip office space, free snacks and drinks (including a keg!), fun culture, quasi-unlimited "take it as you need it" vacation time, healthcare is top-notch.

Cons

Serious 'cost cutting' in all the wrong places. Recent exodus of top engineers and engineering management. Clear sense that executives favor sales and marketing at the expense of engineering and operations teams: the last company meeting was almost exclusively focused on the former groups, for example. No 401k match, and salary is not particularly competitive for the Boston market.

"A lot has changed..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Acquia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acquia has become a very well recognized name in the Boston area, and is great for your resume. There's a lot of freedom here to shape your job into what interests you, and great perks like beer & cold brew.

Cons

The organization can be very cliquey, and there is a very high school mentality in many of the departments. This used to be a very collaborative supportive environment, but we've lost quite a few great leaders over the past year +, and a lot of the leadership has dissolved. This has left groups and individuals to their own devices and agendas, which in turn has lead to many people going in many different directions. These days there is a lot of chaos and Acquia does't value employees like it used to.

Advice to Management

Stop chasing the shiny bright object, treat people better and listen to the feedback you're getting.

Aug 24, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. There's no doubt that a lot has changed since we started the company only 8 years ago. Sustaining the great culture that fueled our success is a key priority of ours... More

"General Feedback"

Former Employee - General in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - General in Boston, MA

I worked at Acquia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment.
    Team members are very supportive.
    Exciting to be part of an amazing talented team.
    Flexible work hours.

Cons

Pay parity is not fair.
    Training needs to be improved.
    Not that many opportunities for career progression in some departments.
    Your day to day job can be repetitive after a while.
    There is an expectation to work extra hours.

Advice to Management

Staff members do find out what colleagues are being paid.
    Who your manager is significantly impacts your experience at work.

"Expected more, but a bit dissaponted"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Acquia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Great location in Boston.
    - Open source environment. Good utilization of the Atlassian products and AWS.
    - Some of Acquia's clients are world-known.
    - Met some really smart engineers.
    - Probably the best company if you want to be an expert in Drupal. Dries Buytaert is the CTO.
    - Salary is OK, but a bit below the market for engineers. I had another offer with 50% higher rate at the same time, but I had chosen the Acquia's offer, based on its reputation and hoping to be better in the long run.
    - Free beer and some snacks, but that is a must now in most IT companies in the area.

Cons

I need to say that this is based only on my experience in my department and partially on the rest of engineering teams. I don't have any observations on sales, marketing, HR, etc.

- The new office is not as good as I expected. Very noisy in some parts and some coworkers behavior was disturbing. Very very difficult to concentrate on projects. There were few problems with the A/V and the wi-fi in the office, but that could have been because it was a new office space.
    - The on-boarding process needs significant improvement. More or less it is a swim or sink environment.
    - The main technology stack (PHP, GlusterFS) and the tools need improvement. The level of technical debt is high.
    - Contractors are not treated as good as the FTE.
    - Some of the engineering managers, though excellent engineers, lack some people skills.
    - Engineering teams don't cooperate enough. I personally didn't know what all of the engineering teams do and there wasn't an easy way to find out. If you work in one of the distributed teams, like me, the physical distance and difference in time-zones makes it very hard to build team spirit.
    - Lack of culture. I've been in several IT companies with similar sizes in the area and Acquia has the weakest culture.
    - The hiring process needs improvement. I found it weird that I didn't meet the team (except for my manager) I was going to work with at the on-site interview.

Advice to Management

Look carefully at your hiring and onboarding processes. There is room for improvement on both.
    Get feedback about the office environment not only from the employees, but from the contractors as well. We also work in this office! I personally sent email twice regarding a survey to the new "head of people" and didn't get any response.

Feb 5, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for this review. It's very specific and consequently allows us to focus on areas of improvement. I'm glad you liked our new location. It was gut wrenching to make the decision to move... More

"Acquia"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Burlington, MA

Pros

Fast growing, fast paced, road to success.

Cons

Lack of work/life balance, lack of transparency on some decisions.

"Great people, fun work, but not a career oriented enviornment"

Pros

Super smart and motivated people who are inspiring to be around. I enjoyed almost everyone I came in contact with. The benefits are excellent (except for the 401k), and the office is great. You can tell they put a lot of though into the office, the perks, and the location.

Cons

Disorganized, lack of manager accountability - most managers, mine included, maybe should have been people managers. I never felt like what I said to my manager was being valued.

Advice to Management

Allow time for career development or growth. Add some sort of tuition reimbursement program to allow people to develop their skills. If the expectation is for everyone to work over 50 hours a week, find a way besides a bonus program to reward for that.

"TAM Review"

I have been working at Acquia (More than a year)

Pros

-Flexibility to work from home
    -Positive environment
    -Collaborative teams

Cons

-Lacking in communication between departments

8. "G&A"

Pros

Over time the work life balance has become better. I have met some of the best friends.

Cons

No room for growth in small departments.

Advice to Management

Communicate better.

9. "Mixed experience"

I have been working at Acquia full-time

Pros

Work with lots of talented people. Company is committed to open source. Successful business.

Cons

Corporate culture, job benefits, unhealthy attitude of management toward employees and labor practices. Hiring process is terrible. Issues with CEO.

Advice to Management

Adopt fairer labor practices and ideals about work/life balance that get a lot of lip service but little actual support.

"Great AWS-based web services company, technical debt looming like Sword of Damocles"

I have been working at Acquia full-time

Pros

Great environment, friendly and helpful coworkers, culture is about as libertarian and accepting as any company of its employee-size in the tech industry. Health benefits are great, take-it-as-you-need-it vacation policy is awesome, most employees deeply care about what they do and how they can make it better.

Cons

Technical debt looms large, constant outages and fire-fighting create what is colloquially known as a "fish-fry" for anyone who isn't on a project-driven team. Departure of senior technical staff over the last 12-18 months and an inability to make the core product (Drupal site hosting on AWS) as agile and scalable as competitors is draining morale and creating larger internal problems, even as revenue and customer base continues to grow.

Advice to Management

Junior- and Mid-level staff are not just champions, they own the quality of the product. Many take it extremely personally when an issue cannot be resolved due to technical debt that is extant. Advice? Full-stop on new features and halt further expansion of Sales and large-scale contracts. Re-organize, devote time, energy, and resources to create a platform that automatically scales and heals itself rather than seeking further internal Mechanical Turk. Devote more time to parsing metrics and reporting to understand what is failing, what has caused it to enter into a "failure state", and start establishing stories to resolve the failures. Drive a deeper technical relationship with platform leaders (AWS, RedHat, etc.) and FOSS authors/vendors at all layers of the stack to drive innovation and improvement to existing layers.

When engineers are no longer being paged in the middle of the night for "routine" alerts and the stack chugs-along without manual intervention, that's when people will be able to show-up and start putting more of themselves into the business.

Mar 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. I really am not qualified to thoughtfully respond to this, so I asked our head of cloud engineering to compose a reply, which he did collaboratively with the head of... More