Acquia Reviews | Glassdoor

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Acquia CEO Thomas Erickson
Thomas Erickson

Pros
  • You work with the best talent in Open Source , you will have lots of exposure to the (in 7 reviews)

• Over time the work life balance has become better (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life balance can be difficult to find (in 8 reviews)

• No one is upfront and they will back stab you (in 5 reviews)

1. "Great People, Great Culture, and a Great Product"

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at Acquia as an intern

Pros

As an intern, everyone at the company was very friendly and more than willing to help out. I was able to approach senior managers and talk to them. I've never worked with more talented people who were eager to help out others outside their role/department and was sad to say bye to everyone when my internship had ended. One of Acquia's core values is "jumping in and owning it" and that no problem is someone else's problem - definitely saw this come into play many times here. There is a high level of transparency at Acquia as well particularly from the CEO who hosts open forums every so often. I even got to meet the CEO (Tom) personally on the very first day of my internship and was able to ask him questions. The office is very nice and in a great location with snacks provided throughout the day and the best cold brew coffee you'll ever taste. Also the company follows a kind of west coast tech company culture, meaning that people are more casual in their language and attire so you end up feeling a lot more comfortable expressing yourself. The company is growing fast and has definitely moved past its start up phase, which has its pros and cons. There's a gaming room with nerf guns that went untouched the entire summer I was there.

Cons

My internship was kind of disorganized since my manager often wasn't around. Work from home is very common at Acquia which made it a little difficult to schedule meetings with people. I often ran out of work since there were no clear cut projects for my internship. I was also kind of disappointed that there was not a pathway from internship into a full time hire.

"Fun, young company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Pros

Very fun office, lots of collaboration, great team cohesion (team outings, etc).

Cons

Growing pains (startup mentality while trying to become a bigger company creates some issues), resource allocation

"Great place to be"

Former Employee - IT Manager in Woburn, MA
    Former Employee - IT Manager in Woburn, MA

I worked at Acquia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some of the smartest most dedicated people you will meet in tech who genuinely care for each other. Definitely there's a strong corporate culture (Acquia DNA), but if you buy in, there a ton to get excited about. Truly an international company, you'll work with people from all over the world. Executives are easy to approach.

Cons

Work life balance can be difficult to find. Because of it's size and rapid growth, growing pains around culture from being a startup to a mature company still exists but are being worked out. A lot of attrition happened between moving HQs. Compensation depending on the role can be below market compared to other job offers. Can be a bit chaotic around crunch time to meet deadlines.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus outwards on the market to position yourself in the best possible way but without sacrificing looking inwards at the people who got you where you are today.

"Good company to work for"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Acquia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everything you'd expect from a tech start-up. Awesome office space. Some great people. 40 hour work weeks have become pretty normal (no more burning hot all the time). Promotions come fairly quick.

Cons

Going through a bit of an identity crisis, but that's normal for the stage of start-up that it's in. Culture has changed a lot as it's becoming more corporate. Promotions come fairly quick, so there's the danger of some people being promoted until they become incompetent, or titles & compensation don't match up with the level of competency you'd expect from some roles (welcome to tech, and the necessary steps needed to retain employees).

Advice to Management

Innovate on your successful product (cloud), build additional premium features, services & products that compliment it and are in your wheelhouse.

6. "Business Development Representative"

Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Development Representative in Boston, MA

I have been working at Acquia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing office with equally open people and culture. BDR's are treated fairly and genuinely invested in by management. Acquia doesn't have a "churn and burn" model, which makes quality of life much higher than nearby/similar stage tech-companies. No vacation policy. As long as you're in the office at the end of the quarter, BDRs are given ample freedom.

Cons

Due to external IPO-environment, it seems that momentum is slowing, which as an entry level employee is more of a negative relative to someone who's more established.

Advice to Management

None - transparency seems to be great and we're treated well, which as a younger employee means a lot. CEO knows the names of the BDRs.

Mar 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. We certainly have tried hard since starting the company to create a high performance company that is also fair. It's nice to see that the investment in our team is ... More

"Great, but slowing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Acquia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Best part about Acquia is the people. Intelligent, positive, and fun work environment. Some of the projects Acquia works on are truly transformational for Fortune 2000 businesses.
    Leadership team is fantastic, some new faces seem quite promising as well.
    Great Resume builder.

Cons

Sales cycles are much too long. A lot of this is due to what we sell, which unfortunately is often times just glorified hosting services on smaller deals. Of course, this can be alleviated with more effective execution, but frequently the prospect is right, they don't need an environment until planning, design, and wireframes are in place.
    Pay is not scaled. Outside hires have significantly higher payment plans OTE than those promoted from within. That's just not right, especially when two reps close the same amount of business in a quarter and get paid differently.
    Growth is slowing, and the way the tech sector is flowing currently, there is an uneasy feeling about job security. Some competitors just laid off 200+ employees.

Mar 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. It's nice to hear how positive you are about the Acquia team, including our leadership. There's no question that our growth has slowed, but that's all relative, coming ... More

8. "Great culture, great benefits."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Acquia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Acquia supports a very diverse group of very interesting people. The benefits are fantastic and they provide a friendly place to grow. The Boston office is a very cool place to work everyday.

Cons

Things move very quickly and can sometimes seem disjointed. Different teams might feel like they are working on something that is out of phase with other teams.

Advice to Management

Ensure that groups are working together and have a good understanding of the overall goals. It is very easy to lose sight of the big picture when you are down on the ground.

Mar 26, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. Your advice is solid, something we need to remind ourselves constantly as we grow. Moving from a small team, to a small number of small teams, to a much larger number ... More

"A Startup Darling Going Places"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I worked at Acquia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acquia was really a one of a kind experience for me and anyone who works there will understand the magic of it. Acquia has been the best example in my career of hiring smart people and leading them instead of managing them - one of the main reasons I think Acquia has grown so much. Smart people making smart decisions earning the business of smart clients. Truly a ride worth taking at some point in your career.

Cons

The rocket ship growth which is typically praised as a pro was a con from my point of view. The company grew so fast that the sales organization couldn't keep up with a scalable model and they have changed the model every year. It's not just a change, but a complete 180 degree flip from year to year. This is not sustainable to maintain the growth with the deal cycles being as complex and long as they are. The growth has been so fast that building their own product to offset the strong services business has been a challenge leaving sales to sell the future not the present. Marketing produces new tag lines at break neck speeds resulting in rogue value props throughout the sales org and mixed messaging to prospects.

Advice to Management

The addition of new leadership has been refreshing, but It might be time for sales to have a fresh set of leadership eyes.

Feb 5, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your comments. I am glad you found your time at Acquia valuable. It's challenging to keep a fast paced business on track. Inevitably a part of that growth is a constantly changing ... More

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Boston, MA

I have been working at Acquia (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great, fun product to sell to cool brands with great customer examples.

Cons

company is continuing to grow and as the quarterback on a sale, you have to work with multiple departments to put together a compelling proposal at the right price. there is certainly some misalignment between the departments and it's sometimes difficult to 'hurd the cats' internally in order to get the win.

Advice to Management

align incentives amongst departments better

"Smart Fast and Fun"

Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I have been working at Acquia (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is the smartest place I will ever have worked, I'm certain. The roles are demanding but challenging in a good way and being a part of this company felt like an exciting adventure almost every day. You got the sense that you were part of something very special and very big. The leadership is great, for the most part. The start up culture is fun and the sense of community and common goals makes reporting to work each Monday not as depressing.

Cons

As with any start-up that is growing, priorities can change and demands can pop up. For the most part the leadership is outstanding but there are a few who lead by force rather than really being inspiring. But the ones who really matter are the good ones. There has been a shift in product offering and focus but in a good direction. At the time of the changes though it felt difficult to execute or maybe a little forced. As the offerings mature though, they are smart and will be successful.

Advice to Management

Lead by the core values and not by fear. Keep up what you're doing it was for the most part a fantastic experience.

Aug 1, 2015 – CEO

Thanks for your comments. I appreciate the reminder that we need to keep our DNA front and center as we move forward. Tom Erickson, CEO.