Acquis Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
David Kaufman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "A Wonderful Place to Work and Build Your Career"

Former Employee - Managing Director
    Former Employee - Managing Director

I worked at Acquis Consulting Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Acquis for 12 years, starting out as an Associate. The people I met through working at Acquis have become some of my closest confidants and friends – the culture is all about hiring smart people who are willing to help others and rewarding them for their successes.

I always was more than willing to work hard to earn the opportunities that I wanted, but the firm’s leadership also looked for ways to stretch me and help me grow professionally. I was promoted to the Leadership Team right before I had my third child, and was eager to come back from maternity leave to help continue build the firm.

I do think Acquis is a true gem and I am so grateful for my time there. I will continue to root for its success and I will look for ways to work with the firm again in the future.

Cons

To be fair, it is a consulting company, and the work is not always glamorous and there is an emphasis on utilization – but Acquis provides a variety of ways to show growth.

2. "Cruise Control"

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I give Acquis credit for affording its consultants a great work life balance - low travel (compared to large firms), short hours, strong comp, remote working flexibility

Cons

Acquis has a terrible imbalance in hierarchy - it is a VERY top heavy firm. Many people have come and gone in my time here - some I still don't know what they ever do or did

Clear biases within the management team - I say this knowing it has benefitted me but also knowing we've lost talent because leadership has clear favoritism that isn't tied to performance or ability

Too many sister companies to remember, too many bad investments that killed profitability.

Once you've gained enough tenure or seniority, your accountability actually decreases in some ways. It's the exact opposite of "Up/Out" Culture.

Advice to Management

Reviews below from leadership show how out of touch they can be

Management justifies turnover to Business Schools and other companies by promoting itself as a place that creates great career opportunities - the reality of why people leave is because Acquis motivated them to do better and not settle in their careers

"My Experience with Acquis Consulting Group"

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am proud to be a part of Acquis. We are building something special here – an organization where your colleagues are bright and interesting, the work is purposeful and impactful, the rewards are real and meaningful, the culture is familial and supportive, and the opportunities to shape your career far exceed the size of the firm. Admittedly, I am biased – my experience has been exceedingly positive, I am part of the leadership team, and I have participated actively in the growth story of recent years. Even so, I am convinced that Acquis is a terrific place to build your career.

After completing my MBA, my wife and I decided to move to New York. I targeted Acquis quite intentionally based on its regular appearances in Consulting Magazine’s Best Small Firms to Work For. Even though I had a successful five year run in big consulting (four promotions in three years), I wanted to join a small firm, where your impact to the firm is palpable. I helped lead the phenomenal growth of another small consulting firm based in DC (15 FTE to 180 FTE in three years), and I wanted to do so again in New York. I joined Acquis six years ago as an Engagement Manager, earning two promotions over my first three years to my current role as Managing Director and member of the leadership team.

The work environment at Acquis is collaborative, friendly, and fun. The hours can be long and the work never-ending, so it is important to like and respect the people with whom you spend your time. I value my time spent with my colleagues, and I have developed many personal friendships that transcend well beyond the work. I am motivated and challenged by my colleagues to be better, and I find myself learning on a near daily basis. I feel fortunate for the opportunity to be part of Acquis, and I look forward to continue my career here for the foreseeable future.

Cons

Acquis is a growing consulting firm. The work spans the continuum from strategic to tactical, aspirational to operational. This means that every experience can and will be different, but I think that is true of every firm of our size.

"Great for dropouts from big consulting companies or if you're taking a consulting break"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On par pay and better lifestyle than big consulting companies, less travel

Cons

Acquis consultants fit into one of three categories - People who've been there for 10 years or more since they graduated and don't know real consulting because Acquis is all they've seen, dropouts from big consulting companies who couldn't make it there, some smart people who join and realize the mistake they've made and leave immediately, or stay for a year or two as a break before moving on.
    You have to fit into one of these categories to be successful there. If not, don't waste your time applying. The work is mind-numbing because they don't have the ability to source any exciting projects.

Advice to Management

Almost none of the principals have been trained in consulting or have worked at a big consulting company before, which drives away the smart junior people who join with this experience. I didn't see this changing in my 1.5 years at Acquis so I decided to leave and go back to a big consulting company.

5. "Lifestyle Company"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, flexibility, independence, and some smart people.

Cons

Work is boring, culture feels contrived.

6. "Very unprofessional partners"

Pros

Great co-workers and workspace.

Cons

Got emails from Randy at 11 at night and he would scream at me the next day if I didn't return them immediately. He had a temper with administration and HR was useless. I stayed the minimum and left for something better.

Advice to Management

Leave your dirty laundry at home.

"Great place for entrepreneurial, driven, high-performer, self starter individuals"

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Great no-fuss culture
    - Good people
    - Supportive leadership team
    - Nimble and flexible structure
    - Good overall compensation

Cons

- Lack of structured learning & development program
    - Lack of people management opportunities
    - Lack of additional support roles to manage some of the internal activities

Advice to Management

- Create opportunities to groom leaders within the firm
    - Challenge and empower management team to lead
    - Hire additional support roles to manage some of the internal activities

"People First"

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

A truly entrepreneurial place, you get out of it what you put in. Leadership encourages new ideas, and the pace of growth is strong. The firm has a lot of varied interests. Culture is a big focus.

Cons

Because it's a small firm lacking a deep bench, people at all levels deliver work, make decks, pitch clients, etc. Teams tend to run lean.

"Decent but overrated!"

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Friendly atmosphere; impressive clients

Cons

Pretentious and gossipy managers; easy to get pigeon holed into a specific type of project, regardless of your level of interest

10. "A great opportunity for a young professional to learn and grow."

I worked at Acquis Consulting Group full-time

Pros

Collaborative, creative, fun environment. Entrepreneurial mindset.Firm does a good job of finding and recruiting talent.

Cons

Firm leadership. Firm does not do a good job of retraining and developing talent.