Acquis Consulting Group Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.8
David Kaufman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great company filled with people who care about its clients and each other."

Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New City, NY
    Former Employee - Engagement Manager in New City, NY

I worked at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Joined from a large consulting company. Was looking for an entrepreneurial opportunity and got that and more. Acquis leadership is open to expanding the service lines it offers or growing into whole new markets when it finds unmet market needs it feels that it can add value to.

During my tenure it launched two new service lines and several adjacent companies. It allowed me the opportunity to gain experience as an entrepreneur while earning a full-time salary. It put the onus on those who wanted to be entrepreneurs to step up and play the role with limited risk. It's not for everyone but if that's what you want and you have interest/an idea and a desire to pursue that path then it can be a great place.

The firm is what you make of it. The leadership works to empower people to take the initiative to pursue things the employees want to do.

Cons

As a smaller consulting company (<100 people) the opportunities aren't as numerous as you see at the larger firms. Didn't impact me since the work was closely related to the kind of work I wanted to do but occasionally saw colleagues not able to get onto the type of project they wanted to do.

Advice to Management

Already doing it but continue to develop the cross-organizational communication as the company gets bigger and expands the projects, type of work and markets Acquis enters.

2. "Where everybody knows your name"

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Acquis puts a great deal of focus on their people. Having come from one of the Big 5, I was used to being a face in the crowd where recognition/reward had more to do with who you know (and who would fight the loudest on your behalf), and less to do with the work you put in. When I came to Acquis over four years ago, I was immediately impressed with how they treated their employees. Being a smaller firm, they can take the time to know you as a person and what motivates you. They value and recognize your contributions to the firm's success. I have never felt more appreciated professionally and I no longer feel like just a face in the crowd.

Cons

The flip side to being a smaller firm is when it gets busy. Sometimes you can get spread a bit thin, but the leadership team strives to minimize this as much as possible as well as reward/recognize you for those periods of intensity.

Advice to Management

Keep attracting and retaining the high caliber people who make this a great place to work.

3. "You Get What You Put In"

Current Employee - Project Manager
    Current Employee - Project Manager

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Acquis provides an entrepreneurial atmosphere that encourages hard work and innovative thought. You can truly influence your career path and trajectory within the firm. They give you the chance to participate in internal initiatives, learn from other adjacency/sister companies and show your passion. I came from a large company where outstanding performers were lost in the shuffle or not promoted because they weren't as tenured as others. This is not the case at Acquis. It is very easy to see the top and bottom performers. They also cultivate a fun team environment that makes you feel like you are working together.

Cons

Acquis is small, so great business development/sales usually equates to lots of hours. I don't mind putting in the extra hours because I know I everyone in my team is willing to do the same.

Advice to Management

Don't lose the little things that make you great as you grow.

"Erratic Behavior From Management"

Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Manager in New York, NY

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, competitive pay, strong emphasis on culture.

Cons

I have been working here for over three years and every time I start to feel that the two managing partners truly have changed their behavior and will start acting like grown ups I’m disappointed. This company can be fun to work for but at the end of the day this is amateur hour. The two managing partners (there’s a lot of talk about the leadership team but it’s empty) fail to step up and lead. I get the feeling that those in charge at Acquis would be lucky to be a Manager at an Accenture, EY, Etc. In addition, the actions of one of the Managing Partners borders on inappropriate as his moods change faster than the weather. You really don’t know what you are going to get when you see him. He’s mercurial, to the point of causing people to not want to be on projects with him.

Advice to Management

grow up

"Cruise Control"

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I give Acquis credit for affording its consultants a great work life balance - low travel (compared to large firms), short hours, strong comp, remote working flexibility

Cons

Acquis has a terrible imbalance in hierarchy - it is a VERY top heavy firm. Many people have come and gone in my time here - some I still don't know what they ever do or did

Clear biases within the management team - I say this knowing it has benefitted me but also knowing we've lost talent because leadership has clear favoritism that isn't tied to performance or ability

Too many sister companies to remember, too many bad investments that killed profitability.

Once you've gained enough tenure or seniority, your accountability actually decreases in some ways. It's the exact opposite of "Up/Out" Culture.

Advice to Management

Reviews below from leadership show how out of touch they can be

Management justifies turnover to Business Schools and other companies by promoting itself as a place that creates great career opportunities - the reality of why people leave is because Acquis motivated them to do better and not settle in their careers

"My Experience with Acquis Consulting Group"

Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Managing Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I am proud to be a part of Acquis. We are building something special here – an organization where your colleagues are bright and interesting, the work is purposeful and impactful, the rewards are real and meaningful, the culture is familial and supportive, and the opportunities to shape your career far exceed the size of the firm. Admittedly, I am biased – my experience has been exceedingly positive, I am part of the leadership team, and I have participated actively in the growth story of recent years. Even so, I am convinced that Acquis is a terrific place to build your career.

After completing my MBA, my wife and I decided to move to New York. I targeted Acquis quite intentionally based on its regular appearances in Consulting Magazine’s Best Small Firms to Work For. Even though I had a successful five year run in big consulting (four promotions in three years), I wanted to join a small firm, where your impact to the firm is palpable. I helped lead the phenomenal growth of another small consulting firm based in DC (15 FTE to 180 FTE in three years), and I wanted to do so again in New York. I joined Acquis six years ago as an Engagement Manager, earning two promotions over my first three years to my current role as Managing Director and member of the leadership team.

The work environment at Acquis is collaborative, friendly, and fun. The hours can be long and the work never-ending, so it is important to like and respect the people with whom you spend your time. I value my time spent with my colleagues, and I have developed many personal friendships that transcend well beyond the work. I am motivated and challenged by my colleagues to be better, and I find myself learning on a near daily basis. I feel fortunate for the opportunity to be part of Acquis, and I look forward to continue my career here for the foreseeable future.

Cons

Acquis is a growing consulting firm. The work spans the continuum from strategic to tactical, aspirational to operational. This means that every experience can and will be different, but I think that is true of every firm of our size.

7. "A Wonderful Place to Work and Build Your Career"

Former Employee - Managing Director
    Former Employee - Managing Director

I worked at Acquis Consulting Group (More than 10 years)

Pros

I worked at Acquis for 12 years, starting out as an Associate. The people I met through working at Acquis have become some of my closest confidants and friends – the culture is all about hiring smart people who are willing to help others and rewarding them for their successes.

I always was more than willing to work hard to earn the opportunities that I wanted, but the firm’s leadership also looked for ways to stretch me and help me grow professionally. I was promoted to the Leadership Team right before I had my third child, and was eager to come back from maternity leave to help continue build the firm.

I do think Acquis is a true gem and I am so grateful for my time there. I will continue to root for its success and I will look for ways to work with the firm again in the future.

Cons

To be fair, it is a consulting company, and the work is not always glamorous and there is an emphasis on utilization – but Acquis provides a variety of ways to show growth.

"Great for dropouts from big consulting companies or if you're taking a consulting break"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I worked at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

On par pay and better lifestyle than big consulting companies, less travel

Cons

Acquis consultants fit into one of three categories - People who've been there for 10 years or more since they graduated and don't know real consulting because Acquis is all they've seen, dropouts from big consulting companies who couldn't make it there, some smart people who join and realize the mistake they've made and leave immediately, or stay for a year or two as a break before moving on.
    You have to fit into one of these categories to be successful there. If not, don't waste your time applying. The work is mind-numbing because they don't have the ability to source any exciting projects.

Advice to Management

Almost none of the principals have been trained in consulting or have worked at a big consulting company before, which drives away the smart junior people who join with this experience. I didn't see this changing in my 1.5 years at Acquis so I decided to leave and go back to a big consulting company.

9. "Lifestyle Company"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at Acquis Consulting Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good Pay, flexibility, independence, and some smart people.

Cons

Work is boring, culture feels contrived.

"Very unprofessional partners"

Pros

Great co-workers and workspace.

Cons

Got emails from Randy at 11 at night and he would scream at me the next day if I didn't return them immediately. He had a temper with administration and HR was useless. I stayed the minimum and left for something better.

Advice to Management

Leave your dirty laundry at home.