Acres Group Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
Jim Schwantz

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Customer Service"

Pros

After working at acres for the past summer I was able to identify what strengths the company had. Acres progresses at their networking strategies and their personal, first class services. The structure of the company is what makes it what it is today, a professional landscaping business.

Cons

One recommendation to Acres would be that the overall goal of the company should be transparent throughout all of the employees. Everyone should know where the company is heading and how we plan to get there.

Advice to Management

The Management of Acres is great, they are approachable and respected leaders. Still, the recommendation above holds true. Overall, they taught me a great deal of things throughout my period at Acres.

"Not the best place for the best people."

Former Employee - Support Staff in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Support Staff in Roselle, IL

I worked at Acres Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The support staff is very nice. Executives always seemed approachable. Gives back to the community and HR has good employee programs.

Cons

The expectations are always way too high for a human. Expect to do at lest 3 full time job loads, get criticized by your manager for not being able to keep up and not get get paid nearly enough for the treatment you will receive. HR dept seemed distant and confidentiality did not exist. Lower management was obsessed with doing anything to look good to upper management and never created a good working environment for employees to stand out on their own. Discrimination exists in positions. Not enough training for positions across the board.

Advice to Management

Teach and train your managers to encourage and motivate employees in the right way, not a forceful, slave-driver mentality.

3. "HR Generalist"

I worked at Acres Group full-time

Pros

Its a family owned company- you get to know everyone. They get involved in community events and many of their office employees participate in these events.

Cons

Turn over can be high due to being a landscape company. it can be too hot or too cold for the laborers. you must like that environment.

"The BEST Place for the BEST People to Work?-TRUE"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauconda, IL

Pros

Recently had my 1 year anniversary with Acres Group and can say that I am very happy to be a member of the team. I have learned a great deal in the last 12 months and continue to learn something new every day. Anyone who wants to be challenged, have the opportunity to learn and grow, and likes to work in an always changing, fast paced environment will succeed here.

Cons

Due to the nature of the business, the learning curve is large and the first year will require working more than 8-5. However, the company provides the necessary tools to help a new person learn and succeed.

5. "2015 Summer Internship"

Pros

I recently completed a summer internship at Acres Group's Roselle location. It was a great experience. Everyone was extremely friendly and very interested in helping me learn and progress. Managers and HR were willing to assist me in any way and they really strived to make my internship experience as positive as possible. There were also many valuable educational events offered over the course of the internship. We visited the Morton Arboretum and several nurseries throughout the summer. I had a terrific experience working at Acres and would strongly recommend this company to fellow students, friends, and family.

Cons

The only downside was that I was required to attend many meetings. The Roselle location had a pretty heavy workload over the summer and at times I felt like the meetings took away from time that I could have been getting ahead on my work. However, the meetings are very important for successful communication throughout the company.

Aug 27, 2015 – Sr. HR Administrator

Our internship program for this year was a huge success and we are happy to here that you had a great experience this summer and found the intern events to be educational. Due to the size of... More

6. "Great Internship Program"

Former Employee - Intern in Plainfield, IL
    Former Employee - Intern in Plainfield, IL

Pros

I have talked to many people that have had internships with other companies, and not one of them seem to be as organized and welcoming as Acres Group. From the top of the company all the way down to the bottom everyone has provided me with a wonderful experience. The best part about Acres is the people, and to me that made it a better experience. Also, the amount of knowledge that each employee has is through the roof, and they aren't afraid to share their knowledge of the industry with others to keep helping build the industry and keep others informed of the fast pace changes in this industry. All in all I would recommend Acres as a place to have an internship.

Cons

The weather conditions never cooperate.

Aug 27, 2015 – Sr. HR Administrator

Our motto....the BEST Place for the BEST People to work. Glad to here that your intern experience was positive and held true to what we believe. Yes, the weather can be very unpredictable and this... More

7. "Don't work here if you want to learn and be successful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roselle, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roselle, IL

I worked at Acres Group full-time

Pros

The labor staff is nice, professional, and knowledgeable.

Great executive staff and marketing teams.

Cons

If you are new with this company, do not expect any sort of training or any clear instructions on what your job is or what you need to do. Also, you will never get rich working for this company. Management was no help to me, and there was no way I was ever going to succeed with the way they started me off. They'll push you out the door to find clients, but don't give you any advice on where to find clients and even what type of clients you'll have. I was also started off with accounts that nobody wanted because they were poorly set up from the beginning before I was with the company, then later reprimanded by my manager as to why my numbers didn't look good there. I was never able to approach my manager for assistance as he always seemed annoyed at my questions and then would challenge me as to why don't I know that already. If you're going to work here, come in the door knowledgeable and experienced, and don't go to management for any sort of help as they will only make things worse.

The biggest thing I learned while working at this company is the importance of having a good manager who can enable you for success.

Advice to Management

Training would have been important.

Jul 20, 2015 – HR Administrator

Thank you for the feedback. Continuous improvement is one of our guiding principles and your feelings regarding lack of training and support will be reviewed and game planned whenever we have a new... More

8. "Former employee."

Former Employee - Landscape/Laborer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Landscape/Laborer in Chicago, IL

I worked at Acres Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked for the company a short time and it was a great time. They really was keen on safety. Everyone was professional. The crew I worked with was really hard working. The manager Oscar, was very involved with the employees including working with them. I really liked the Area Manager Armando, because I respected his honesty. Overall Four Stars.

Cons

The only con I have is not enough diversity. I'm sure there are others who would be willing to work if they knew more about the company.

Advice to Management

Most of the literature was in Spanish including my time card. I really think other people should be given a chance to work.

9. "Warm, professional, inviting"

Current Employee - Manager of IT in Wauconda, IL
    Current Employee - Manager of IT in Wauconda, IL

I have been working at Acres Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Small Company, Family owned. You can really make a difference here, contributing to the overall team efforts.

Cons

none that I know of at this time.

10. "The Best Place for the Best People to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wauconda, IL

I have been working at Acres Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Acres Group is the largest independent landscape contractor in the state, and Acres focuses on commercial maintenance and snow removal.

Acres Group has always welcomed me and made me feel comfortable on my career path through; various trainings, project opportunities, a team oriented mentality, a customizable career path and a company culture tailored to Acres Group values. Acres Group expresses confidence in me and my ability to do my job, which makes me feel secure, and part of a family.

Cons

At times the work environment can get intense. Within transitional periods, the workload suddenly, but temporarily increases. The sudden increase in work load creates a fast paced work enviorenment. I wouldn’t put this 100% on the company, but more so on the state of the economy, housing market & the industry. It's a reflection of the times.