Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.4
Act-On Software CEO Kate Johnson
Kate Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life Balance is what you make of it, "how productive are you in a given period of time" (in 6 reviews)

• "Had a chance to work with good people(They were few)" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (but it's a startup so it's what you'd expect" (in 12 reviews)

• "I also feel that our relatively young executive team is yet to understand the nature of the challenges of the sales team" (in 7 reviews)

"Great people! Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working with smart, awesome people. Act-On encourages its employees to take risks and provides lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

We run out of sparkling water by Thursday but who am I kidding?! We are spoiled by a kitchen loaded with delicious snacks and beverages.

"Cowboy outfit then, cowboy outfit now"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches and well stocked fridges

Cons

Never matured out of a startup mentality.

3. "Great direction now. To get an idea of how bad it used to be, just look at the negative reviews by former employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The new management, from Kate to Bill to Phil are radically turning the culture around to a collaborative, respectful environment.
    2. A lot of really good, really smart people to work with.
    3. Great technological projects. You can really jump in and work on some cool stuff.
    4. A really good organization-wide Agile approach.
    5. Good managerial support & communication.

Cons

1. Historically the environment was incredibly toxic. Certain (former) technical managers would yell & shame employees and it wasn't unheard of for meetings to turn into full on screaming matches (see some of the extreme negative reviews by former employees as an example of the attitudes that used to prevail).
    There is still some of that in certain people at the company, though they are now in the minority. A bit of PTSD-like cultural hangover.
    2. If you are passionate about what you do you can burn yourself out as there are so many areas that someone can make significant impact (both a pro & a con).

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Don't give up or give in to a negative minority. Keep working towards a more respectful, productive environment. Good Job

"Ticking time bomb"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Want to collect a salary for a little while before your company folds? Work here.

Cons

Nobody knows about Act-On. Their marketing team doesn’t know how to generate leads and all you need to do is look at the almost zero engagement their posts get on social.

They spend all of their budget paying off analyst firms like Forrester instead of actually improving their product or growing their lead machine in a real way. Instead, they buy lists from data vendors and give g2 crowd money. It’s not working, nobody at their larger competitors even knows who this company is.

There’s another review here claiming that the negative reviews come from toxic people who got laid off...stating that you must be a toxic person to want to warn people about a failing, poorly run company is pretty insulting and it inspired me to finally write my review. I was never a part of any meeting which resulted in a shouting match, nor did I ever hear about one in the sales org ever happening. I question the truth of these claims.

This company will be out of business in a few years. They’re not making a profit and no investors will touch it with all the bad decisions that have been made. It was already struggling when Kate did the worst possible thing and laid off almost every subject-matter-expert that the company had. The customer success org is a joke and they retained only the most inept salespeople because they happened to live in Portland. Nearly all of the people they offered relocation to have quit the company because they’re smart enough to abandon a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

liquidate as soon as possible. This fun ride is over.

"Sinking ship"

Pros

Good integrations and contact based pricing

Cons

Poor executive team. This company is a sinking ship.

"Complete Disaster"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

They gave us plenty of notice about losing our jobs.

Cons

New CEO replaced a large percentage of Act-On with people from her previous company. The CSMs they brought in seemed to be solid individuals. However, they knew nothing about Marketing, Marketing automation or even the Act-On product. They had zero training before starting their jobs and replacing the old CSMs. Their role is to ensure the customer's success with the product. What could go wrong?

Advice to Management

After Act-On folds, I would recommend that you learn more about the product before thinking everyone is easily replaceable.

"Act-Off"

Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Sales in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Act-On was an amazing place when I started. High growth tech company, tons of funding secured, offices opening all over the place. We had top tier talent, and were winning awards for growth and performance. This was a place to grow your career and learn, and the atmosphere company wide was absolutely energetic.

Cons

Company leadership was weak, with a hands-off board. Massive amounts of funding were used on hiring unqualified persons, and equally unqualified persons ran teams/departments. This resulted in a growth strategy of adding headcount with no defined process or strategy, and very little was reinvested into the product or integration ecosystem. Ultimately, this resulted in 3 large lay-offs yearly from 2015-2018. The company went from a growing tech company of 500+ to a shrinking shell of its former glory with sub 200 people. As the company shrank, more and more junior individuals received promotions into positions of power. Laughably bad ideas percolate out of the higher echelons here.. and the level of nepotism is high. Recently they laid off all of their tenured support staff to rehire junior support folks with no contingency plan in place for the customer base.

Advice to Management

This is a sad missed opportunity. Product needs to be completely re-architected to compete, and the entire go to market strategy needs to be re-defined.

"Used to be great"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Great coworkers and managers that no longer work there. Flexible work schedule.

Cons

Huge turnover and multiple layoffs in customer facing departments in the last few years. No appreciation for talented and hard working employees. Little to no room for growth.

"Poor leadership with a buggy/subpar product"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I worked with some really awesome people. The snacks were great and there were kegs stocked with beer.

Cons

Leadership ruined the company. Poor product direction and development lead to competitors skyrocketing ahead of Act-On in product roadmap and execution, often times they would announce new products that would never see the light of day. The company was once known for its fanatical support, which has now dissipated into automated onboarding and minimal accessibility to support staff.

Advice to Management

Change your name, hire new developers, rebrand the product and hire new leadership.

"Great place to advance as seasoned employees have all left."

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great insurance.
    Costco orders and lunches sometimes
    Fantastic Tech Stack
    A few remaining good people to work with, plus you get a fancy little Dell computer.

Cons

Executive management was brought in that ruined the culture. It used to be about encouragement. Now its about punishment and empty threats.
    All seasoned RSMs are gone! New employees are clueless.
    Act-On survived off of a middle of the road product with fantastic customer service. Customer service is in the dumps...
    This is the Titanic of marketing automation and its all self inflicted.

Advice to Management

Change the culture and appreciate your employees. You can't win deals against your competitors when all of your talent has gone to them...