Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Act-On Software CEO Andy MacMillan
Andy MacMillan

Pros
  • Some really good people work there (in 10 reviews)

• Great management team who really work hard to help you learn the business, to excell and free lunch a couple days a week, continuing education (in 7 reviews)

Cons

"If Everyone Is Moving Forward Together, Then Success Takes Care Of Itself"

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Annual President Club Trips (Hawaii, Utah, Mexico)
    * Executives care about the day-to-day success of employees
    * Analyst continue to place Act-On as the only private company as a leader
    * Upward mobility across the organization
    * Company is the healthiest it's ever been
    * Continued education
    * Constant product Innovation
    * PAY!
    * Annual company kick off
    * Stock options
    * Culture: Annual summer BBQ, Ping Pong Tournaments, Monthly Sales Contest, Snacks, Lunches,
    * GYM reimbursement
    * Transparency

Cons

If you think working in a high-paced startup is a con, then this job isn't for you. If you think change is con, this job isn't for you. Reading negative reviews from people who worked here for 3 years; "Why did you work here for 3 years then?"

Advice to Management

* Continue to visit offices
    * Continue to be transparent
    * Make recognition a priority
    * THANK YOU for building a great company

"Positive Outlook"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Act-On for about 3 years and overall I think it's great, especially lately: CRO and Sales VPs are accessible and care about employees, visiting offices often. Company is getting healthier every day. Finally getting the transparency we all needed. The pay is good. Educational opportunities. Free beverages and snacks. (Quit complaining about this people. It's free and there are way more important things to talk about on this site than food.) Annual kick off is a great way to start the year. Looking forward to President’s Club in Mexico! Culture might be different than in the past, but I think it’s moving towards being better than it was.

Cons

Work life balance is not the best, but it is sales.

Advice to Management

Stay on the current path. It's working!

"Great people, marginal management"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering staff is top flight. Smart, fun and great to work with.

Cons

C-Level management seemingly works in an alternate reality.

Advice to Management

Read some of the better worded reviews on GlassDoor. Listen, really listen to the people you have.

"I like my future here"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reading a lot of these other reviews, it seems like folks are mad about recent changes. I get it, change is hard and folks who lost their job as part of those changes are going to be upset. I also get that these changes are needed.

I joined back in 2014 and it was a very stressful first year or two. The product was all over the map, my managers were basically telling me to invent deals and our competitors were all over us. The only place to sell was to people who never even heard of marketing automation. Seriously, I was just about ready to quit when some of these changes start happening.

I look around today and I see a sales team that's kicking butt and writing real deals with real customers. I see an awesome marketing team that's getting us some brand recognition. I see a product that I'm proud to demo and happy to take head to head with any competitor. I see a vision of where we're going. I see management who finally seems to know what they're doing.

You want to work in the wild west of software sales? Join Act-On in 2014. You want to work for a real software company with a real future? Join Act-On in 2017.

Cons

Always stuff to improve on. Snack situation here in Roseville could be better. I'd love to see 401k matching. Also, lay off Jive already, I don't need another collaboration tool.

Advice to Management

Keep chugging along fellas.

"Hard work pays off"

Current Employee - Marketing
    Current Employee - Marketing

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing people. I've never worked with a more talented team. Great benefits, fairly flexible schedules when needed. Lots of upward mobility. Hard work doesn't go unrecognized.

Cons

It can be hard to find a work/life balance. You definitely need to be a go getter to do well in this environment. And the snack selection could be a little healthier.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work! Love my team and love this company.

"Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game!"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The future of Act-On is better and brighter than it has ever been. This is a real business today, healthier than ever, not the inside sales chop shop it used be - thank god! The sales team, if anything, should be thankful for all of the changes taking place - they are actually learning how to be real enterprise sales managers who can plan, forecast, and predict their future. Before it was the wild west - processes were non existent and so was accountability. The deals closing were from small, no-name companies who had never heard of marketing automation. Today we are closing bigger deals and better brands, and ensuring that our technology is the right fit for the business we are selling to. Oh, and we have a real strategy for customer success and retention, with a keen focus on post sales initiatives - a must for SaaS biz. This isn't my first rodeo in the silicon valley tech scene, but I think it was for many - that's why they don't understand the regime changes, they don't understand the layoff scenario, and they don't understand what it takes to build a category leading company. Keep complaining if you want, but the grass isn't always greener!

Cons

Reading through these negative reviews and it's almost comedy. I have to believe that if you were an author of one of those then you were either laid off or had zero enterprise technology experience under your belt prior to coming to work at Act-On. The changes taking place at Act-On are for the best interest of the business, and trust, the C-Suite consults with the board prior to making them. Success doesn't happen over night, so stop whining, and roll up your sleeves, or move on with it. Stop hating the process and resisting the change, it's not becoming. As Ice-T once rapped, "Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game."

Advice to Management

Keep kicking (_|_) and taking names!

"Love my job, love my team"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* I come to work every day to a really fun office and team. Yah, it's still work but I'm not constantly looking at the clock either waiting until I can go home.
    * I've gotten a lot of training on how to better do my job. I feel like I've become a better sales person since I've joined Act-On and that will help me in the future.
    * I have a good product and support team and that makes selling easy.
    * They pay me well and the comp plan matches what they want me to do. I've never seen management say "you should do X" without also adding "and we're adjusted the comp plan to make X good!" That's the way sales should be managed.

Cons

As you can read from the other reviews, there've been some changes lately and some of them have been painful. Life happens sometimes.

Advice to Management

I like where we are and where we're going. Don't think you folks need advice.

"Optimistic vs. Pessimistic Outlooks"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Act-On provides a fun, fast-paced environment with lots of room to grow your career path. Hard work doesn't go unnoticed, and there's always opportunity to move up. Dedication to your job is what sets you apart from others.

Cons

Recent events have taken place which have cause quite a disturbance within the company. Many people's outlook on the company is less than positive, which makes them difficult to work with.

Advice to Management

Find a way to connect with people on a more personal level. Nobody feels like their jobs are safe right now, and every drop in the community bucket causes ripples. Reassurance and increased clarity on the company's plan moving forward might ease some of the stress.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR

Cons

None that I am aware of

"Just sharing a 7-year old’s wisdom: "If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you.""

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I've been at Act-On for a while now. So I have experienced the ups and the downs, the highs and the lows. Act I and Act II. Yes we unfortunately had a lay-offs, yes the executive team is working hard on being transparent, yes a lot of changes have taken place. But if you are earnestly considering employment with us or if you are a current employee I would like you to ponder this:

Last night, my 7-year old son while he is was reading a particularly difficult book, he told me: Mom, my teacher told me that "if it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you." And that really struck me here, as I read all of the negative Glassdoor reviews and comments being posted lately. If my son does not learn anything else from his 2nd grade teacher, I am glad he learned that.

One could look at challenges, as a hindrance, or as a deterrent, or vent on social media, or slander a person’s name. OR (I do hope my son truly understands this concept). One could accept the challenge, work through challenges, go through the trenches, and "change". Life is difficult, but everything I say, everything I do; it matters! That is me (is that you?), I want to continuously change, grow, and mature. I want to work hard, I want to learn, and I want to be challenged; that’s why I love coming to work, that’s why I work for Act-On.

Our CFO is sometimes the first person here and sometimes the last person to leave, our CEO is working extremely hard every day to make Act-On great, sometimes the hardest part about being the leader is making the “extremely tough decisions”, our Sales team, are some the nicest dedicated men and women I have ever met!!! -- that's who I want to follow. If you're like me, Act-On is the place for you.

Cons

I do miss catered lunches :) But I can't complain, we do have snacks, drinks, and coffee.

Advice to Management

Chiefs, management, leaders (title or no title)- you set the tone, always remember that.