Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Act-On Software CEO Kate Johnson
Kate Johnson

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Work-life Balance is what you make of it, "how productive are you in a given period of time" (in 6 reviews)

• "Had a chance to work with good people(They were few)" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long hours (but it's a startup so it's what you'd expect" (in 12 reviews)

• "I also feel that our relatively young executive team is yet to understand the nature of the challenges of the sales team" (in 7 reviews)

1. "Amazing opportunity to develop vision and build teams"

Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Support Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great start-up environment that provides an opportunity to get things done without a lot of red tape.

I feel people genuinely care about each other and customers and that's huge. Not a ton of egos and self-servicing decisions being made which is great!

Cons

A good amount of inherited technical debt that has to be solved for before we can move on to innovation.

A lot of new middle management in place which can lead to low confidence and lack of performance management. But the people team are doing a great job of introducing trainings and programs to leaders.

Advice to Management

Empower middle leadership to innovate and don't shy away from tough conversations.

"Best teamwork I've experienced in my career."

Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Technical Solutions Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wonderful teamwork and cross-collaboration. Everyone in the company has been very supportive and helpful as our new support team came up to speed last year. It was a rough time for the company and we had a lot to learn - we did it with everyone's help. There's a great sense of camaraderie here.

Plenty of side projects available that suit your interests and skills.

I have the flexibility I need to be a parent and to take care of myself.

Our management is trusting and friendly, and we as a company hold high integrity.

Office fun - bring your Switch!

Cons

Not as many benefits as some larger employers

No User Acceptance process for product changes, which can agitate our clients

Communications to customers needs improvement

Fast-paced work and high customer expectations require that you to stay organized

Advice to Management

Continue communicating with transparency.

"Awesome! Great opportunity to contribute and resolve both large and small company/product problems."

Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Solutions Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work for all areas of interest. You can wear any hat you want in both ENG & Support. If you see something that is an issue you can take the initiative and fix it. Loads of room for career growth and development at an enterprise level company (Got skills? You will get to use them. )

- Solving real problems and issues.
    - Loads of collaboration & learning going.
    - People are friendly and professional.
    - Culture is evolving as we form our company identity. (This is not a stuck up, strict, or
       stuff place.) I love coming to work, and IMHO we need to change more.
    - The kitchen is stocked with lunch food, snacks, drinks.
    - Offices are Downtown (Easy access via public transportation).
    - Benefits are good.

Cons

- Some people like to walk when they need to run.
    - No 401k Match

Advice to Management

Time to have the hard conversations and root out complacency.

"While there, company had many reorganization changes."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company goals and objectives were confusing due to reorganization and lack of communication

Cons

New opportunities were created due to the reorganization, but not necessarily afforded or extended to the right people.

Advice to Management

Be transparent, communicative, and fair across teams

"Run don't walk!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free snacks which have also gone down hill

Cons

They change their policies and direction like changing clothes. Used to have a great culture, but that's all changed and virtually everyone who is worth their salt has left. I don't expect the company to be around much longer.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees, they are the boots on the ground. Stop eliminating departments and expecting the sales people to pick up the slack!

"Cowboy outfit then, cowboy outfit now"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunches and well stocked fridges

Cons

Never matured out of a startup mentality.

7. "Great direction now. To get an idea of how bad it used to be, just look at the negative reviews by former employees."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

1. The new management, from Kate to Bill to Phil are radically turning the culture around to a collaborative, respectful environment.
    2. A lot of really good, really smart people to work with.
    3. Great technological projects. You can really jump in and work on some cool stuff.
    4. A really good organization-wide Agile approach.
    5. Good managerial support & communication.

Cons

1. Historically the environment was incredibly toxic. Certain (former) technical managers would yell & shame employees and it wasn't unheard of for meetings to turn into full on screaming matches (see some of the extreme negative reviews by former employees as an example of the attitudes that used to prevail).
    There is still some of that in certain people at the company, though they are now in the minority. A bit of PTSD-like cultural hangover.
    2. If you are passionate about what you do you can burn yourself out as there are so many areas that someone can make significant impact (both a pro & a con).

Advice to Management

Stay the course. Don't give up or give in to a negative minority. Keep working towards a more respectful, productive environment. Good Job

"Great people! Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love working with smart, awesome people. Act-On encourages its employees to take risks and provides lots of opportunities for growth.

Cons

We run out of sparkling water by Thursday but who am I kidding?! We are spoiled by a kitchen loaded with delicious snacks and beverages.

"Ticking time bomb"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Want to collect a salary for a little while before your company folds? Work here.

Cons

Nobody knows about Act-On. Their marketing team doesn’t know how to generate leads and all you need to do is look at the almost zero engagement their posts get on social.

They spend all of their budget paying off analyst firms like Forrester instead of actually improving their product or growing their lead machine in a real way. Instead, they buy lists from data vendors and give g2 crowd money. It’s not working, nobody at their larger competitors even knows who this company is.

There’s another review here claiming that the negative reviews come from toxic people who got laid off...stating that you must be a toxic person to want to warn people about a failing, poorly run company is pretty insulting and it inspired me to finally write my review. I was never a part of any meeting which resulted in a shouting match, nor did I ever hear about one in the sales org ever happening. I question the truth of these claims.

This company will be out of business in a few years. They’re not making a profit and no investors will touch it with all the bad decisions that have been made. It was already struggling when Kate did the worst possible thing and laid off almost every subject-matter-expert that the company had. The customer success org is a joke and they retained only the most inept salespeople because they happened to live in Portland. Nearly all of the people they offered relocation to have quit the company because they’re smart enough to abandon a sinking ship.

Advice to Management

liquidate as soon as possible. This fun ride is over.

"Sinking ship"

Pros

Good integrations and contact based pricing

Cons

Poor executive team. This company is a sinking ship.