Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Act-On Software CEO Andy MacMillan
Andy MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really good people work there (in 11 reviews)

• Great company with great product and exceptional customer service (in 8 reviews)

"Great Company"

Former Employee - Senior Director
    Former Employee - Senior Director

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great product and good people

Cons

need to improve their branding

Advice to Management

keep pushing!

"Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Above average product at a lower price point then most of the MA competitors. Easy to sell because management will cut prices in half out of fear of losing the deal, they will also slash terms to get the new logo.

Cons

Good old boy system is in full effect. If you plan on working here get addicted to menthol cigarettes before hand so the middle management will like you as they spend most of their time smoking and talking about their teams in a not so positive light just before they make plans to hit a Roseville bar. Place runs light a fraternity/sorority.

Advice to Management

Stop with your my boy blue attitude and focus on developing the entire team and stop handing the resale accounts to your smoking buddies a la H Grades. You know who you are.

"Leading Provider in a hot market!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Teamwork! Everyone here is working towards the same goal and that is to be doing the best work of our lives and helping companies grow with our solutions. The people here genuinely care about your success and about the success of our customers. The product we represent is very solid and well positioned in the marketplace. Fast development cycles and fantastic internal communication (even with remote employees).

Cons

There is what seems to be constant change in process but it's for the better. I wouldn't want to be with a company that continues to do things that do not produce results.

Advice to Management

More of the same. We all know that the product speaks for itself and just need to get in front of more marketers. Brand awareness is beginning to pick up and Marketers/Competition are taking notice so we just need to keep doing what we're doing.

"Great company doing great things!"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great leadership
    -Innovative product
    -Excellent benefits
    -Awesome company culture

Cons

-Initial training could be more thorough

"Customer Success Manager"

Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I can't tell you enough how great the people you work with are. In the CS division management are like mentors. They actually care about you.

Cons

Growth. and salary. Although it is fantastic to work here and the people and environment are excellent, there really isn't room for promotions.

6. "Great leaders, making great strides in the marketing automation space"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Leadership team is focused on what's best for the company long term.
    Our more focused go-to-market strategy over the past year is something that is being stuck to, and the results of that continued focus are starting to really pay off.
    The vision of Adaptive Journeys that Act-On has really feels unique and addresses the critical challenges marketer's will be facing over the next 5 years.

Cons

Still much less known in the market than the IBM's and Salesforce's of the world. Making progress on our brand awareness but still a ways to go.

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent. It will further build trust across the org.

"The worst Company in the Automation Space"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The best value in the MA market today. Customers love the ease of use AND SUPPORT.

Cons

Mid Management is arrogant, under trained, and driven as the good ole boys club attitude. We need a more expansive portfolio to sell add ins so more people can achieve comp. Targets.

Advice to Management

The CEO is amazing
      Why can't he help us by telling the arrogant managers running the various teams to treat us with the same respect that he treats us with. Because of our slipping stature and recent management shake ups the remaining good ole boys have just gotten worse. Train your mid level management teams to be effective leaders, not just tell us what to do.

"Learning experience not for me."

I worked at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

Lunch twice a week. Competitive atmosphere.

Cons

Management was very shady. Favoritism to certain branches. People will throw you under the bus instantly.

Advice to Management

Be honest with yourself about what's really going on.

"Difficult to recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Portland office is right downtown and has stunning views. There are a lot of complicated technology challenges to solve. Genuinely sympathetic new leadership with some good ideas. Most departments seem to be running better than they have in the past. A product that is way healthier than it was years ago.

Cons

Oof. Where to start. I came into this company in the transition between the previous executive team and the current executive team so I have seen both of them in action. Nearly every major problem the company faces today, of which there are many, is directly tied back to the previous regime. Any review you read here that states otherwise is either unaware or dishonest.

They badly mismanaged money; they were never honest about the current financial state; they took major investment capital and showed zero return; they did not build any part of the company to scale; they invested almost nothing in technology and accrued a ridiculous amount of technical debt; they built walled off subcultures between offices and departments that created a toxic culture we are still digging out from under today; did not have a realistic plan for sales growth; were constantly chasing the bottom of the market both in quality and size of customers; no room or plan for individual growth; never had a product roadmap, etc. I could probably go on indefinitely. There is a reason that executive team has almost completely been replaced. They were highly ineffective and seemed to be waiting around for an IPO or some other major event they had no clue how to reach and was realistically never going to happen. The new team has had their fair share of mistakes, well-noted in other reviews, but who would have realistically come in and turned this place around in any less time?

I can't stress enough how deep the cultural issues run here and this has been an incredibly difficult place to stay motivated. Many of the worst detractors are gone, but there are still people here who are generally dysphoric and they are painful to be around. We continue to placate them at the detriment of everyone else. You can see lots of folks, new and old, are checked out and it is hard to blame them. There is very little done in the way of acknowledgement or reward here for most employees who are doing good work. The culture is still overly negative, morale is low and to a large degree we feel rudderless. Everyone seems to be in a general state of unease and discomfort here and there haven't been many reasons to celebrate anything.

I think we have a solid direction now for the company and the product, but we never seem to have enough or the right people to carry it out. We are resource constrained in every possible direction, so we can't allocate money or people at any problems to try to solve them. It feels like we are constantly behind our competitors even when we make major strides.

Advice to Management

In general, I do think we are heading more in the right direction than not, but we are definitely in the grind it out years of basically rebuilding a company from the ground up. That's a daunting challenge for anyone to undertake and a difficult thing to sell new employees.

10. "That which does not kill us, makes us stronger!"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Growing pains have helped us grow and develop.

Cons

Under performers be warned.

Advice to Management

Stay the course, continue to listen!