Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Act-On Software CEO Andy MacMillan
Andy MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really good people work there (in 10 reviews)

• They have great people and there are many perks in the office (in 8 reviews)

"Change faster!"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I joined Act-On maybe two years ago as an engineer. This place was a goddamned mess with a ton of crap left over from the previous CEO. First week I was thinking of quitting. Second month I was sure I needed to find a new job. I couldn't start the search back then because of some personal reasons but now I'm glad I didn't.

- The new head of engineering was an internal promotion, which I almost never see. He's good and paying attention to all the things that weren't looked at before.
    - I had this list of people who I would fire if I was the head of engineering and guess what, 4 out of the top 5 are gone.
    - We're working on some pretty cool new products and technology.
    - We're moving to a standard agile process. Yah, this place was on this weird waterfall anarchy method before. Not great.
    - The exec team seems to actually care about us instead of just yelling at engineers to "work fastah!"

Total turnaround in my opinion.

Cons

More change! I get it, we got the old timers who still want things to stay how they were but the rest of us want more change and we want it now.

Also, can we get some healthier snacks in the kitchen? Some of us don't run on pure sugar.

Advice to Management

Keep it up. Love that you promoted D to head of eng. Love that you promoted internal folks to team leads. Love that you're telling us why we're building the stuff we're building. Love the fun events at PunchBowl. Feels like I'm working at an actual tech company instead of someone's garage.

"Difficult to recommend"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Portland office is right downtown and has stunning views. There are a lot of complicated technology challenges to solve. Genuinely sympathetic new leadership with some good ideas. Most departments seem to be running better than they have in the past. A product that is way healthier than it was years ago.

Cons

Oof. Where to start. I came into this company in the transition between the previous executive team and the current executive team so I have seen both of them in action. Nearly every major problem the company faces today, of which there are many, is directly tied back to the previous regime. Any review you read here that states otherwise is either unaware or dishonest.

They badly mismanaged money; they were never honest about the current financial state; they took major investment capital and showed zero return; they did not build any part of the company to scale; they invested almost nothing in technology and accrued a ridiculous amount of technical debt; they built walled off subcultures between offices and departments that created a toxic culture we are still digging out from under today; did not have a realistic plan for sales growth; were constantly chasing the bottom of the market both in quality and size of customers; no room or plan for individual growth; never had a product roadmap, etc. I could probably go on indefinitely. There is a reason that executive team has almost completely been replaced. They were highly ineffective and seemed to be waiting around for an IPO or some other major event they had no clue how to reach and was realistically never going to happen. The new team has had their fair share of mistakes, well-noted in other reviews, but who would have realistically come in and turned this place around in any less time?

I can't stress enough how deep the cultural issues run here and this has been an incredibly difficult place to stay motivated. Many of the worst detractors are gone, but there are still people here who are generally dysphoric and they are painful to be around. We continue to placate them at the detriment of everyone else. You can see lots of folks, new and old, are checked out and it is hard to blame them. There is very little done in the way of acknowledgement or reward here for most employees who are doing good work. The culture is still overly negative, morale is low and to a large degree we feel rudderless. Everyone seems to be in a general state of unease and discomfort here and there haven't been many reasons to celebrate anything.

I think we have a solid direction now for the company and the product, but we never seem to have enough or the right people to carry it out. We are resource constrained in every possible direction, so we can't allocate money or people at any problems to try to solve them. It feels like we are constantly behind our competitors even when we make major strides.

Advice to Management

In general, I do think we are heading more in the right direction than not, but we are definitely in the grind it out years of basically rebuilding a company from the ground up. That's a daunting challenge for anyone to undertake and a difficult thing to sell new employees.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, and great offering!

Cons

Sales quotas need better better alignment with dedicated territories and TAM. One quota doesn't fit all.

Advice to Management

Spend more time and invest more resources to research dedicated territories to better understand the opportunities that exist based on historical sales, local economics, how top industries in the dedicated territories align to company offering, and lead/SDR meeting flow. Ensure these Metrics are consistent and fair amongst every RSM, and look at customer count per RSM to determine if overall new business and upselling opps are the same for all RSMs. The playing field is not level and therefore quotas should be adjusted to reflect a more appropriate target based on these factors and others.

"Fox News has nothing on this place. Run dont walk"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Solid product. Solid CEO AND CMO.
    Good SAAS industry training. Copious amounts of food and drink. You can crash if needed. The vision I learned regarding a machine learning layer built on top of Act-On’s NoSQL Cloud Architecture is ground breaking. As a salesperson you will be able to have more conversations with C Level Titles thanks to this vision. Entry level career choice and decent SAAS career exposure .

Cons

I was excited to begin my SAAS career in a well known company. Starting just over 1 year ago , and am shocked daily at the behavior of middle management. The lone woman manager suggested I invest in sexier shoes to get ahead in my career! Yeah, no thanks! The turn over is never ending and it impacts your ability to sell the tools. The word is out that its a abusive sales environment, infect my competitors use this to win deals over Act-On. Customers read the reviews and question the long term stability of the company. I lost a large deal to the competition due to the sales manager getting involved and taking over my sale then he tried to blame me for the loss. Every single sales person is miserable and looking to bail as fast as possible. The person who has been brought in to run sales gets bullied by the "good Ole boys" who are the problem. Until the CEO cleans house of the bad guys they brought in this place is a no go to work for. If you like being yelled at by all means come on over. I will hopefully be gone by then. All of the sales managers are complicit and won't stand up to the VP who is the main problem.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the sales managers who you know are abusive. Invest in a real HR Department willing to act upon the harassment. You know the guys who are the bullies. Until you clean house customers and talent will continue to turn from ACT-ON Software.com which is too bad because the strategy and vision you have is respected and valued. Sit in on calls from you know who with out telling him, a man like you would not condone it.

Act-On Software Response

Apr 25, 2017 – Chief People Officer

Thank you for sharing your perspectives, both the good and the challenges with Act-On. Please know that we have no tolerance for the behaviors you describe in your post and we take this type of... More

"disappointed and frustrated"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Free food and sodas in the kitchen. Individual contributors in most teams, especially customer success and engineering, have built this company.

Cons

Poor execution at the c-level. They're all checked out. The customer success and t&p orgs are fed up. Everyone seems to be looking for new opportunities. The positive reviews are a desperate attempt to improve their image or whatever's left of it.

Advice to Management

All the remote chiefs need to be more present. Move to the HQ if you have to and if you care enough to make this company work. Care about the company. Not about your own agenda. How about we add that to your action plan?

"If Everyone Is Moving Forward Together, Then Success Takes Care Of Itself"

Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Sales in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

* Annual President Club Trips (Hawaii, Utah, Mexico)
    * Executives care about the day-to-day success of employees
    * Analyst continue to place Act-On as the only private company as a leader
    * Upward mobility across the organization
    * Company is the healthiest it's ever been
    * Continued education
    * Constant product Innovation
    * PAY!
    * Annual company kick off
    * Stock options
    * Culture: Annual summer BBQ, Ping Pong Tournaments, Monthly Sales Contest, Snacks, Lunches,
    * GYM reimbursement
    * Transparency

Cons

If you think working in a high-paced startup is a con, then this job isn't for you. If you think change is con, this job isn't for you. Reading negative reviews from people who worked here for 3 years; "Why did you work here for 3 years then?"

Advice to Management

* Continue to visit offices
    * Continue to be transparent
    * Make recognition a priority
    * THANK YOU for building a great company

"Positive Outlook"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I have worked for Act-On for about 3 years and overall I think it's great, especially lately: CRO and Sales VPs are accessible and care about employees, visiting offices often. Company is getting healthier every day. Finally getting the transparency we all needed. The pay is good. Educational opportunities. Free beverages and snacks. (Quit complaining about this people. It's free and there are way more important things to talk about on this site than food.) Annual kick off is a great way to start the year. Looking forward to President’s Club in Mexico! Culture might be different than in the past, but I think it’s moving towards being better than it was.

Cons

Work life balance is not the best, but it is sales.

Advice to Management

Stay on the current path. It's working!

"I like my future here"

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Reading a lot of these other reviews, it seems like folks are mad about recent changes. I get it, change is hard and folks who lost their job as part of those changes are going to be upset. I also get that these changes are needed.

I joined back in 2014 and it was a very stressful first year or two. The product was all over the map, my managers were basically telling me to invent deals and our competitors were all over us. The only place to sell was to people who never even heard of marketing automation. Seriously, I was just about ready to quit when some of these changes start happening.

I look around today and I see a sales team that's kicking butt and writing real deals with real customers. I see an awesome marketing team that's getting us some brand recognition. I see a product that I'm proud to demo and happy to take head to head with any competitor. I see a vision of where we're going. I see management who finally seems to know what they're doing.

You want to work in the wild west of software sales? Join Act-On in 2014. You want to work for a real software company with a real future? Join Act-On in 2017.

Cons

Always stuff to improve on. Snack situation here in Roseville could be better. I'd love to see 401k matching. Also, lay off Jive already, I don't need another collaboration tool.

Advice to Management

Keep chugging along fellas.

"Love my job, love my team"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* I come to work every day to a really fun office and team. Yah, it's still work but I'm not constantly looking at the clock either waiting until I can go home.
    * I've gotten a lot of training on how to better do my job. I feel like I've become a better sales person since I've joined Act-On and that will help me in the future.
    * I have a good product and support team and that makes selling easy.
    * They pay me well and the comp plan matches what they want me to do. I've never seen management say "you should do X" without also adding "and we're adjusted the comp plan to make X good!" That's the way sales should be managed.

Cons

As you can read from the other reviews, there've been some changes lately and some of them have been painful. Life happens sometimes.

Advice to Management

I like where we are and where we're going. Don't think you folks need advice.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR

Cons

None that I am aware of