Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated June 22, 2017

Act-On Software CEO Andy MacMillan
Andy MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really good people work there (in 10 reviews)

• They have great people and there are many perks in the office (in 8 reviews)

Cons

"Go-to-Market needs to be refined"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Overall good, smart people, and the product is great.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals leading to an obscene churn in sales reps and declining morale. Overrated marketing team.

Advice to Management

Stop hiring reps without experience, believing they will be able to have meaningful conversations with marketing directors and CMO's. The CEO is very smart and I'm sure he will get this company moving forward if he surrounds himself with the right people.

"Great people, marginal management"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The engineering staff is top flight. Smart, fun and great to work with.

Cons

C-Level management seemingly works in an alternate reality.

Advice to Management

Read some of the better worded reviews on GlassDoor. Listen, really listen to the people you have.

"A great place to work at first...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orangevale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orangevale, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere is top notch. Worked with a great group of collaborators and smart people.

Cons

Company direction was and still is up in the air and not clear. The company doesn't know where to go and in turn cause of no growth path, laid off 20% of the company last October.

"Good Company that is ironing out the wrinkles to become a Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong in Training and Development, supportive management team, and genuine concern for employees work/life balance and well-being. It truly is about the Customer and management gives you what you need to keep them happy. Metrics/Bonus tied to company success, however, sometimes upper management targets were not realistic.

Cons

Inconsistent management styles, work loads per teams and team members were sometimes not balanced. To give feedback to upper management, would be shining the light on yourself and possibly creating a negative work environment. That said, didn't feel one could give honest feedback. Lastly, unrealistic sales and growth targets created negative impact to culture and removal of highlighted benefit perks.

Advice to Management

Having such a strong training program, strongly encourage to adopt a training program for managers and adopt consistent rules/perks across the team company wide.

"The death spiral has begun"

Pros

Nice people. Free unhealthy snacks and drinks.

Cons

Lots of competition. Employees lack experience and longevity. Bleeding cash and not making sales numbers, layoffs, cost cutting galore. No real differentiation in market.

Advice to Management

No point, they know everything.

Act-On Software Response

Oct 18, 2016 – CEO

I appreciate your perspective about the company. We’ve had to make significant changes to the business across the board to put us in a better position to grow and scale the company. This typically... More

"Exceptional product, questionable management decisions"

Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Success Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Product is really top in the industry (Easy to use and learn), very flexible and adaptive
    - Technical product which you as an employee can really learn and is a prime resume builder
    - People that I work with are very smart like to teach and help others
    - Free Healthy-ish Snacks and not so health drinks (coffee, soda, redbull)
    - Most co-workers went out of their way to help others (very team oriented)
    - Great benefits (although no 401k match)
    - Everybody is really cool and down to earth

Cons

- More competitive niche(from when Act-On first started) which leads to volatility
    - No more free lunch and breakfast
    - Company seems to be divided from departments so there's a bit of disconnect on who does what. (example being of who saves the customer when canceling, Account Manager or RSM) [This getting fixed as we speak though]
    - Not all departments allow for work at home or hybrid which seems to be more and more the norm these days.
    - Seems to be more and more cost cutting measures towards employee moral. (Eg bonus/commissions were paid further out[if you quit or leave you don't get them] and company made it more difficult to meet the goals).

Advice to Management

The Mid level Managers that I've worked with have all been really good at what they do. I got to give it to them for having to go through so many different changes within the company. As for the upper level [new] management they are facing some touch times due to the increased competition which is understandable.

One thing I was in disagreement with was the past round of lay offs which seemed to be anything from methodical except for maximizing the downsize. During the last round of layoffs it seemed to me that many of the people let go were making top $ for their department but rightly so because they were really good at their job. I know it's really hard(and I agree to do it to continue the company business) to do these type of things but I think the decision could of been a bit more thought out.

PS. I like what upper level management has done with bringing some of their ideas(from their past positions) to better Customer Life Time Value to increase ROI for Act-On. A++ for that!

"Marketing"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software (More than a year)

Pros

Some really good people work there. Good product

Cons

Poor management, communication and moral. Big layoffs. Teams that do not have each others backs. Nepotism runs rampant. This hardworking loyal team player would never recommend working there.

"Profits trump people"

Former Employee - SDR in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - SDR in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Act-on used to be the best place to work in tech.

Cons

Salesforce execs came in and ruined a really good place to work. They think the product is priority over the people. Numbers have gone down quarter after quarter since the new leadership came in. Sales leadership knows zero about 2016 sales processes, it's like being stuck in a Glengarry GlenRoss nightmare. CEO talks a big game but is non-existent just like the revenue since he started. Act-on will get acquired soon and the nightmare will be over.

Advice to Management

Andy's priorities are product, profit, and then people. He has acqusition or IPO on his mind, until his priorities change, nothing will change. People build great products, people build the customer base, people create happy customers, and those three things combined create more revenue. Until your #1 priority is the people, you won't ever get the other two.

"What's happening at Act-On?"

Pros

Fantastic team all working together to empower each other and do the best job they can.

Cons

Upper management are making irrational decisions and hiring too many upper management staff while laying off the contributors who actually do the work.

Advice to Management

Think about the message you send to the heart and soul of your company (the people) with every action and decision you make.

Act-On Software Response

Oct 18, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for providing your perspective. I appreciate and agree that we have a fantastic team. We’ve brought in a new management team to help us move with the market and stay focused on customers... More

"End of first year review."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Beaverton, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good peer environment, reasonable working hours. Company has good revenue streams and is ethically approaching the management of email marketing. Company proactively refuses to work with spammers and enforces regulatory demands.

Cons

Undergoing some growth pains and lack of focus in certain areas. Company faces issues in technology modernization in terms of stack and hosting choices.

Advice to Management

Improve the working spaces for all employees (more cube space per employee, better quality furniture). Provide more training opportunities for employees. Increase staffing levels to support initiatives to improve the product and modernize the existing code base.