Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Act-On Software CEO Andy MacMillan
Andy MacMillan

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really good people work there (in 10 reviews)

• They have great people and there are many perks in the office (in 8 reviews)

Cons

"Turnover is way too high- there is no value for sales team"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Scottsdale, AZ

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food
    You can drink all the booze you want while working

Cons

Work_life balance doesn't exist
    Expect 20 hour days end of quarter
    Expect 12 hour days to be the norm..along with weekends
    Always being told you suck
    You will get fired or Constant threat of being fired if you miss 1 qtr unlessbyou are part of the in crowd
    Pressure customers daily to sign or else
    Charge backs on your sales that you can't fight

Advice to Management

Get real managers who know how to coach and build team loyalty
    Tell the truth
    Evaluate culture
    No value of employee input
    Churn and burn of sales team will destroy reputation in industry
    Stop burning your people out
    Listen to the truth your employees share without being defensive
    You will continue to lose good employees blinded by your greed

"My Opinion on Act-On"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Catered meals
    Good entry-level sales position
    Good benefits

Cons

I couldn’t do a better job at describing the management approach and sales culture than the 7/23/14 post by the “National Sales Manager”. Act-On’s culture is fear-driven, cliche, and tired.

60 hour weeks are expected. Most only work those hours to avoid being viewed by management as not caring, or not working hard enough. It's so bad that a recruiter told me, “I don’t recommend Act-On to anyone with a family.”

Sales management will make you feel like you're crazy- and they constantly tell you that you need to be doing better because the company has record performance. This is because they’re increasing their headcount at an exponential rate. At the same time, a high percentage of reps don't even hit their low, 750k -ish annual quota.

Considering Act-On’s a Marketing Automation company, lead quality and quantity is a joke. While reps tell prospects about the "power of our platform", we have no choice but to cold-call, and call into leads that have been downgraded 2, 3, and 4 times.

Deals are given away to reps, and the worst part is that they use deals as an opportunity tell you you're doing something wrong. Don't let management make you feel you're stupid by tricking you into telling you they're fair.

People there get sick from stress.

Advice to Management

I don't know where to begin.

"The beginning reviews are from management-stay away!"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free food, some cool people work there. The company is "growing", but not as much as you think.

Cons

Long hours, not as attractive as advertised. The company is a borderline ponzi scheme. They want to go public, but we shall see. The competition is offering better products, faster..Plus the saturation level of the market is creeping up. A lot of the positive reviews were made up by management, especially their product reviews.

Advice to Management

They keep hiring fake "marketing" people, and it drives me bonkers

"Fake Reviews Wont Fool Anyone.... Especially when they are all on the same day."

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch twice a week
    If you lose your home because you can't pay your bills, because the De-Book rate is through the roof, you could probably get praise for sleeping in the office.

Cons

Everything is bad about this company from the leadership down to the turn and burn employees they hire.
    No SaaS experience needed, just as long as you were a used car salesman.
    Product is not keeping up with competition, so losing deals and having deals debook is a daily experience.
    You will work 12 hour days to get deals that will never pay you.
    Before you work here ask the following, and have them prove to you....
    -How many people are at quota. They will say 70%, reality is about 30%
    -What the debook rate on deals is. They will say very low, when if fact its very high.
    -Why is the turnover rate so high if 70% of people are killing it?
    -Why are they opening new offices when they are all failing?
    Lots of why's, very few answers.
    They promise they employees there is light at the end of the tunnel, that they are going to strike gold here soon.
    Unfortunately, when the board of investors takes a look at their audit, and an audit is what they need, they will be in for bad news.

Advice to Management

See Cons, talk to ex-Employees. This company was great years ago. But they got greedy, they lost top talent, and the customers can tell. Sad future for Act-On.

""regional sales manager""

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

free chips, great software...Act-on REALLY aspires to look like a start-up. They lay it on thick. Offering free lunch twice a week and all the snacks you can eat. What they don’t tell you is that they expect you to eat from your desk every day. When starting at ACT-ON expect a 10-12 hour workday as the standard. I cannot stress this enough: There is NO work life balance.

Cons

They preach having Act-on tattooed over their heart. They preach a family-like environment with opportunities for career growth. However, as soon as a problem occurs weather it comes from upper management or a customer the first people thrown under the bus is the sales team. It’s hard for me to describe the manipulative tactics for making everything seem like it is your fault. They expect you to convert leads within a month otherwise it is taken away from you and given to another rep. What they don’t realize is that all of leads are passed around to multiple reps for months.

Advice to Management

This approach causes confusion to potential customers and a lot of internal problems. The commission structure is confusing and as you continue into your career you get paid less and less each deal you manage to close as your quota increases exponentially. I have not had a worse work experience in my life and will never recommend anyone I know work for this company.

Jul 28, 2015 – Head of Sales

Sounds like you had more leads than you could handle. We see that as a good problem to have but are sorry to hear that you felt it was taken away from you. Our expectation is that sales reps... More

"Regional Sales Manager"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and free lunch twice a week, however that free lunch is designed to keep you from leaving your desk

Cons

To many to even write down. This place is legitimately the worst sales job in the software industry. Complete joke. They expect you to work 12 hour days every day. When hired they tell you that you will be a closer, vein set up with many appointments per week from SDRs, great lead flow. Couldn't be further from the truth. Lucky if you get 4 appointments booked for you per month, 100% cold calling. Funny thing is that ActOn is supposed to be a lead generating software!! Yet they can't provide any qualified leads to the sales team, and if they do, they all go to the same few reps. Favoritism is huge here. Worst experience I've ever had. If you are interviewing here please run far far away. They just laid off 40 people a couple months ago. Most of them worked there for less then 6 weeks. Act-on is a miserable place to work stay far far away. This review is barely scratching the surface on the negatives, take my word for it and don't believe any of the 5 star reviews here, they are all obviously written by upper management.

Advice to Management

Don't lie to people when you hire them about there job responsibilities, it's a bad look and just makes it miserable for everyone involved. Tell the truth about the challenges. I know if you do you won't get any real talent but you made your bed now sleep in it

"Current Situation"

Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Sacramento, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

One of the top products on the market

Some good people

Cons

Since the management change, quotas have gone up with inbound leads and web traffic down.

For a "marketing" automation company we probably have the worst brand position when you compare us to Hubspot, Marketo and Pardot. No one has heard of Act-On. The SDR organization has no clue what a marketing automation customer looks like and is afraid to be on the phone. Quietest SDR floor ever.

Advice to Management

Stick with the vision but be reasonable with quotas and timeline to ramp with a new management team, org structure and business plan.

"Regional Sales Manager"

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This was a dream job for most. Great leaders, tons of vision, and exceptional culture. Free lunch 2x a week, unhealthy snacks, and free soda, juice, and reb bull.....This is all left to memories company wide.

Cons

The whole executive team turned over and mid-level management moved on. This left a few savvy vets, some scrappy reps, and about 40% nube sales reps with NO product understanding. The new executives laughed and bragged about NOT knowing the product, new managers had no idea what they were selling or how to sell it. This is a sinking ship and as recently as this week a press release shows another 50+ people laid-off. They don't care about clients and how could they when they don't even care for their own.

Advice to Management

They need to stop talking and start listening. But, this won't happen bc the arrogance level is through the roof and accountability is a myth.

Oct 18, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective. Our management team is squarely focused on the success of our customers ensuring we are building a scalable, healthy company for our... More

"Dumbest Management Ever"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time

Pros

The snake room is okay, I guess. Oh and management is so stupid you can get away with basically anyone.

Cons

This is easily the most horribly led company I've ever had the displeasure of working for. Not only is the CEO completely out of touch, describing the numerous employees he just fired like their furniture in his vacation home, but he has basically no knowledge of how to run a software company. He barely understands what software is.

The entire company backend code is an absolute joke. Their database is a bunch of text files for Pete's sake!

Advice to Management

Pull your head out of where the sun don't shine and realize that you're hemorrhaging money because your software is absolute crap, outdated, and basically unusable.

Oct 18, 2016 – CEO

While we have an industry leading product as reviewed by analysts, partners, and our customers - we continue to strive to make it better everyday. Thank you for sharing your perspective. Our... More

"A rocket ship... headed straight for impact."

Pros

Warm office during the winter, cool during the summer. Free almonds, water and bananas.

Cons

Not as advertised. Very high employee turnover with big layoffs and people always quitting. Low morale across the board. Ethically questionable employees are praised by leaders. Unjustifiable favoritism.

Oct 18, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for sharing your perspective and for having been a part of our company. We’re injecting a ton of change into the company and that can certainly cause some turnover and discomfort. I believe... More