Act-On Software Reviews | Glassdoor

Act-On Software Reviews

Updated June 22, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Some really good people work there (in 10 reviews)

• They have great people and there are many perks in the office (in 8 reviews)

Cons

"Act-On is a great place to start your career."

Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Development Representative in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people here are hardworking. There is a kitchen filled with healthy and delicious snacks. The holiday parties are nice!

Cons

There can be negative folks with bad attitude but that is everywhere you go not the company. That's about it.

Advice to Management

Do robust interpretation of KPIs data in 1 on 1.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software (More than 3 years)

Pros

GREAT COMPANY TO WORK FOR

Cons

None that I am aware of

"A great place to work at first...."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orangevale, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Orangevale, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Team atmosphere is top notch. Worked with a great group of collaborators and smart people.

Cons

Company direction was and still is up in the air and not clear. The company doesn't know where to go and in turn cause of no growth path, laid off 20% of the company last October.

"Good engineering shop"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I got a chance to work on a lot of cool new technology and management actually gave us time to figure them out instead of rushing things to production. Some of the other places I've worked at felt like a code sweat shop with a constant rush for new features. This place feels different.

Also, I like most of the people I work with both in my team and outside it. Not too many primadonnas.

Cons

Some technical debt to address but we're working on it.

Advice to Management

Would be good to get healthier snacks in the kitchen. It feels like it's designed for a 6 year old with a sweet tooth.

"Great when I started, but this company has truly lost its way."

Current Employee - CSM in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - CSM in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits
    Flexible hours
    Employee perks & reimbursements
    Some very hardworking and wonderful employees
    Great product when implemented properly
    Has potential with the right leadership to be successful again

Cons

Upper management making terrible decisions and acts like the "old boys club"
    Terrible communication between departments and within
    Lost focus, low morale, no clear (realistic) plan
    Upper management spending money on the wrong things
    Company laid off over 60 employees recently, none of which were upper management
    CEO very disconnected and hires on former colleagues to upper management positions.

Advice to Management

Your employees make this place great. They are leaving left and right. Low morale, lack of communication and very poor decision making has driven the once promising company into the dirt. It used to be so innovative and bonded. Stop blowing money on parties, office moves and other unnecessary luxuries. Hold upper management accountable (namely the CRO!) for ever declining sales. Stop thinking your fixes/tricks from your former sinking company is going to save this one. Train your sales people much more throughly if you expect them to be successful, confident and enthusiastic.

"Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Lowell, MA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Lowell, MA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company with great product and exceptional customer service

Cons

some transitional pains, but Management is addressing

"Fast-paced sales environment"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Roseville, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good earning potential, smart people, good product. They treat you well, but they do expect a lot from you in return. You have to be a go-getter to succeed in this environment. Friendly, helpful colleagues who really do care about your and the company's success.

Cons

Long hours, high quotas & high pressure. Growing company with aggressive year over year growth targets. If you have a family, go into it knowing that you will sacrifice work-life balance and should expect to work 10+ hour days to achieve your sales quota.

Advice to Management

Invest and trust in the team that you've built. Give salespeople more than a couple of quarters to ramp up before firing them for not hitting quota.

"Could be interesting and breaking new ground; but are to stuck in the past."

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Portland, OR

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- The work schedule is pretty flexible depending on your manager.
    - The office is downtown, and nice.
    - They pay is on par assuming you know how to argue for it.
    - Always food options in the office if you don't have time/don't want to step out of the office.
    - I enjoy working for my direct report.

Cons

- You can get alright pay here almost competitive with the area, but you will have a lot of back and forth. They will try to short sell you on salary the first few times even though the goal of them moving downtown was to find "Prime Talent".

- Though I like working for my direct report, every decision that is made on a technical level from directors, VPs, and C levels tends to be insane. Costing engineering more time and money which then results in finance really coming down on us.This has lead to projects simply not getting funded because there is a core distrust between departments.

-The VP/C levels are especially unaware of what is happening in their own departments; let alone know enough to make educated decisions beyond things like "This partnership could get us money". With no sight into the actual technical implementation or ramifications of what would happen if they simply decided that they wanted to remove a technology that multiple teams have spent many months building; it furthers the projects not getting finished let alone even considered by other departments.

- Do not expect to move anywhere in the company itself unless you start as a manager or higher. Act-On generally highers in rather then promotes internally. Meaning that a developer really doesn't have a chance to move up to any other position. If you are a VP or C level though they will higher/move around/change your title any time. They have a habit of laying off people that actually build the product then hiring more C level people that leave a few months later.

- No formal review of employees. This is tied to the not being able to move up at all within the company. But what this also means is that there are a lot of individuals that either just don't do anything or continually break things just because they don't have anything else to do so they go into projects that they don't really have any weight in and mess around. This is a growing problem that needs to be addressed and is resulting in people that have a history of not completing projects or simply not having the expertise to complete the type of project repeatedly being handed projects.

- Developers as a whole have no voice. Within engineering when a decision is made it is generally 3 people that go into a room and come up with the "best" solution. The issue with this is it's normally a VP level, a C level, and a friend of theirs that they know will agree. This is not how good software solutions are made.

- Culture. The culture in the office is very gloom and doom. It's a lot of older engineers that tend to just stand around and complain about how everything is awful now as the few engineers that tend to actually do things attempt to keep the tech stack relevant. This again is tied to the fact that nothing is reviewed.

Advice to Management

- If you want your "prime talent" you have to be prepared to pay for it. Most people will just not accept if your offer isn't competitive and move on.

- I highly suggest your VPs/Manager actually learn what is happening in their teams even at a basic level. On top of that maybe they should learn that the person that spends 40+ hours a week actually in the technology would know some of the best ways to solve issues with it; instead of some random solution that they think might work. I don't mean a policy either, I mean you need to start moving people out and bringing in people that actually know how to run a modern engineering shop instead of a monolithic shop from the 80's.

- Sort out your employee position maps. Since I've worked there even HR couldn't tell me what I could move up into. Your employees have no path to work towards what so ever. It's hard to create a solution for each type of manager, so maybe have a manager submit the position map for their department and where their current staff is in that map. Again I am not talking VP/Director/C level managers I am talking about managers that are acting team leads that actually build the product.

- Remove the people that are known for not doing anything useful. It's not hard to find these people you can find them simply by doing a day or two of interviews with people in engineering.

- Engineering solutions to a large degree takes many minds with many specializations and views; even if you bring in a few engineers at a time to solve a specific part of a solution or issue is good. Your management really should learn how to run a modern engineering shop.

- A lot of the culture issue can be solved with the review process and removing the people that are toxic.It will be a painful process at first but once the toxic individuals have been removed and some new blood is brought in that is actually interested in working and making good software then things will become much better in the office.

"Good Company that is ironing out the wrinkles to become a Great Company"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

I worked at Act-On Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Strong in Training and Development, supportive management team, and genuine concern for employees work/life balance and well-being. It truly is about the Customer and management gives you what you need to keep them happy. Metrics/Bonus tied to company success, however, sometimes upper management targets were not realistic.

Cons

Inconsistent management styles, work loads per teams and team members were sometimes not balanced. To give feedback to upper management, would be shining the light on yourself and possibly creating a negative work environment. That said, didn't feel one could give honest feedback. Lastly, unrealistic sales and growth targets created negative impact to culture and removal of highlighted benefit perks.

Advice to Management

Having such a strong training program, strongly encourage to adopt a training program for managers and adopt consistent rules/perks across the team company wide.

"I LOVE this job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

I have been working at Act-On Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I could rehash all of the things you will read from others on this review such as great pay, benefits, fun startup culture, etc... but those things will not truly make you happy in a job. The reason I am so happy here is because I truly feel that as an individual contributor I am helping build something lasting, not only for my own personal success, but also the organization as a whole. Each person feels as though they are a part of the team, and that team is building something incredible. Our software is cutting edge, better than the competition in nearly every way, and constantly innovating. This is an incredible opportunity, and I am blessed to be a part of it. We are heading in a great direction.

Cons

This job is not without its challenges. Our product is technical, and our buyer is technical. If you do not have the aptitude to navigate an extremely technical sales call that can get down to into the weeds, then this job is probably not right for you.
    I also feel that our relatively young executive team is yet to understand the nature of the challenges of the sales team. They need to get on sales calls, get in the weeds with us, and understand what buyers are looking for, the questions they ask, and where our competition has us beat (its not in many ways... but no solution is perfect).

Advice to Management

More technical training for new RSMs. They should be close to the level of a sales engineer in their capacity to deliver product info. Our buyer is technical, intelligent, and inquisitive. The smoke and mirrors of traditional sales strategies do not apply, save for select buyers (such as those who have never used marketing automation and know nothing about it). Some of the best sales people will fail here for that reason. Product knowledge will give us much needed credibility and competitive advantage.
    Additional advice to executive management.... learn the product yourselves. Every in and out, every area we're stronger than the competition, every area the competition is stronger than us.