Action Ambulance Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Michael Woronka

1. "Great Environment - company in a growth pattern"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The company is very flexible, has great ideas for progressing into the future. Stress levels get high at times given the business line but everyone seems to get along. A very caring environment.

Cons

Structure is needed so that everyone knows their expectations but we are getting there....step by step

2. "This is the cheapest company I've ever encountered"

Former Employee - Paramedic in Wakefield, MA
    Former Employee - Paramedic in Wakefield, MA

I worked at Action Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

They allow the ability to immediately work in a 9-1-1 setting immediately as a new paramedic.

Cons

Their cost cutting causes such a detriment to their employees, it's amazing they stay in business.

-I started at $16/hr. Five years later I was making $16.23/hr, which means my real wage actually went down.

-They force their staff to pay for their own education requirements (ACLS, PALS, etc.). When they got the contract for Hanscom AFB, the contract stipulated that all staff must hold a current PALS card. Despite it being a requirement, Action forced employees to pay for this education stating, "If you don't want to pay, you don't have to work at that contract."

-They promote new, inexperienced staff to management positions, seemingly to save on payroll. This leads to very contentious supervisors who are always looking to dole out write-ups for fear that the more experienced staff may not take them seriously. They also generally do not promote people based on education level, disregarding college degrees.

In my five years, many benefits were taken away including 401k match and reimbursement for volunteer hours.

-Once MA allowed ALS trucks to include a basic EMT without a waiver, Action immediately began staffing ALS trucks P/B. They claimed they would only do this in the case of operational needs. However, open shifts were never paged out to ALS staff and were filled in with BLS staff the morning a shift began.

-Town trucks are often utilized for mutual aid and are required to post at the town line when another truck is out. This is fine within reasonable hours. However, Action sits their employees at town lines 24 hours a day while crews are on 24-hour shifts.

-9-1-1 trucks are frequently pulled away from their dedicated contracts and utilized for ALS and BLS transfers.

Advice to Management

Invest in the future. Evaluate your competition and see that their pay is higher, they treat their employees with respect, they put employees first (not contracts).

"Administrative"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Action Ambulance full-time

Pros

Bagels on Friday and some flexibility with schedule.

Cons

If you like being screamed at by the owner, work in a environment that is complete chaos, and let good employees walk out the door, this is the job for you. Way to many chiefs and not enough Indians. Benefits are horrible as is the pay. One of the worst jobs I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

Treat each employee with respect and honesty.

"Rather not say."

Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Rather Not Say in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Action Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

None, except for the fact that I no longer work there, earn a better salary and have excellent benefits.

Cons

Horrible place to work. They forced out full time, qualified employees with part time, off the street folks at weren't entitled to any benefits. Employees are bullied by management.

Advice to Management

Go home, leave, otherwise you'll be out of business within a year. You're a disgrace to the Portman family. If it's not already too late, bring Stan back to clean house.

6. "Great place for work life and personal life balance. They really care about you and your family."

Current Employee - Paramedic in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - Paramedic in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The company has done a great job navigating the changes in health care. They are growing and offering opportunities for those who want to take advantage of them. Those who are unhappy are poor performers and bring the rest of us down.

Cons

EMS is a tough field and keeping everyone happy is difficult

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Thank you for supporting your employees and growing the organization is a respectable manner.

"Lord help this company's awful management, horrible staff, and of all things, their patients!"

Current Employee - EMT in Wilmington, MA
    Current Employee - EMT in Wilmington, MA

I have been working at Action Ambulance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

None. You are kidding, right?

Cons

NO pay raises in years, Wages are not competitive, totally out of range with Boston area cost of living. The more experienced you become the more likely it is that management will find a way to fire you or force you to quit. Benefits SUCK. Company contribution to 401K was eliminated this year. Employees are treated like animals by managers. The CEO has multiple personalities, beware! A recent recruitment flyer for New Hampshire EMTs proves how delusional the company is, lies! lies! lies! Training is not existent. EMTs and paramedics are terrible, patient care is really bad. "EMT:" Order supplies. "Company:" We have no supplies, pound sand! Medical Director? Who? Who? Thinking about a job with this company? Do yourself a huge favor and go somewhere else.

Advice to Management

Wake up and snap out of your trance. Bring Stan back! Fire the top managers and wipe the slate clear.

"Action Ambulance is awarded ONE star!"

Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Wilmington, MA
    Former Employee - Billing Specialist in Wilmington, MA

I worked at Action Ambulance full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Employed full time for many years. Awesome coworkers, but unfortunately they have gone elsewhere. I can think of no "pros" to suggest working here.

Cons

Complete lack of interest in retaining employees. Constant turn over and those who have had longevity are bullied by upper management. No salary increase in more than 5 years, have had holidays eliminated and 401k match removed. Focus is on achieving awards rather than ethics. If you're looking for a stable, honest company, look elsewhere.

Advice to Management

Bring back Stan, put him in the corner office.

9. "great place to work"

Pros

Good partner support and work enviroment

Cons

None that I can remember

"lousy management philosphy"

Former Employee - Paramedic
    Former Employee - Paramedic

I worked at Action Ambulance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

a couple of good 911 contracts

Cons

low pay, crappy benefits, inexperienced supervisors with attitudes, broken down equipment, broken down trucks, little to no regard for field staff.

Advice to Management

wake up.

11. "better than most private EMS companies"

Former Employee - Emt B
    Former Employee - Emt B

I worked at Action Ambulance part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Most of the management cares about employees, pull one aside and they will usually listen and help. While I was there I truly felt the entire company was focused on solid patient care.

Cons

Raises have disappeared. There didn't seem to be any real preceptors for newly hired employees

Advice to Management

N/a