ActivTrades Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Software engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer

I worked at ActivTrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are software engineer, they give you the best flexibility you ever dreamed of. You are the master of your code. However, remember: with the great power comes great responsibility.

Cons

Great part of the staff (mainly IT support) is under-qualified, unwilling to learn and develop. This causes everyday issues with the production systems. Many people work there just because they are relatives / friends to other key people in the company.

Advice to Management

Learn to value your personnel. The good people are hard to find. But instead, very easy to repulse.

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you very much for your review, feedback is very important to us and I am grateful that you tool the time to add a review.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the flexibility we offer at... More

2. "good start in this industry"

I have been working at ActivTrades full-time

Pros

good maternity leave and fair payment based on bonus

Cons

too slow communication with management

Advice to Management

provide more chance for learning

Sep 11, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you very much for your review, we place great importance on such reviews, and are grateful to anyone who takes the time to do so.

Your point about communication is of course a valid one... More

3. "Sales"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Friendly environment and good atmosphere

Cons

no career development as management will always stay there in that role

Advice to Management

offer more products and not only cfd

May 31, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for your comments, we value them as a way of identifying areas for improvement and also where we are doing well, both as equally important as each other.

Your point about career... More

4. "Good Place to start and grow"

Current Employee - Marketing Department in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Marketing Department in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ActivTrades full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Colleagues all around the world very interesting and friendly, good possibility to career especially now the the is a new plan to grow the business. Easy going Top management and good bonuses plus lot of benefits like membership to fitness first gym, cineworld unlimited card, Santander scheme bike and normal bike discount, fruit and other food in the big kitchen. Nice team building and company party christmas/summer!

Cons

Business formal dress code but we are in the financial sector... suit mandatory, location is quite posh so its little difficult to find a room or flat affordable around the area so need to travel a bit but its easy with the public transport

Advice to Management

Keep listening the employees needs and push for lifelong learning

May 31, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for posting comments, it is good to see that you enjoy the cultural diversity we are fortunate to have in the office. The easy going management you mention is something we are proud of... More

5. "MORE AUTOCRATIC FUN"

Current Employee - Account Representative in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Account Representative in London, England (UK)

I have been working at ActivTrades full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very few, and constant being taken away

Cons

Next week, from March 6 2017, all staffs need to be in suits and ties, despite no clients or visits to office. Before it was relaxed, which just about made bearable, now have to sit uncomfortably but can wear a turtle neck as CEO wears one so all about him!! No coats or bags allowed to be on show, desks to be cleaner than hospital operate room, fun vacumn cleaner on full SUCK

Advice to Management

Consider that most people are yunger than all of you and expect different, dont want to be in suits or controlled. Many unhappy people and the office in Dublin wont be any better

May 31, 2017 – HR Manager

Thank you for posting your comments, which I apologise for taking so long to respond to.

I am sorry that you feel there are few “pros” to employment with ActivTrades. We do offer an excellent... More

6. "Remuneration is ridiculously out of attach with the industry"

Former Employee - Compliance in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Compliance in London, England (UK)

I worked at ActivTrades full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of little benefits, some useful, some less so: heavily discounted local gym membership, Xmas hampers with delicatessen (20 quid a month Fitness First, life insurance, free cinema membership, travel loan etc)
    That said, private pension contributions are pretty laughable compared to most other companies. BUPA cover is not so comprehensive, but that is fair.
    On the social side, staff parties are of reasonably high standard. Collegial spirit is pretty good overall in terms of going out together, team lunches.
    Company requires most employees to pass basic Financial Regulation Unit 1 exam, the first attempt of which is paid by the company.
    Colleagues overall are generally friendly and professional.
    Opportunity to travel overseas to the firm's 4 offices, although that is not offered to everyone.
    Quarterly bonuses are stable, although average. My main issue was that of pay (see cons) but hypothetically do not expect fantastic pay in lower to middle level jobs, and I would advise the to raise the issue as soon as one notices that the pay is not exactly competitive, and leave at the earliest opportunity if no pay rise is offered. Otherwise, you could wait for a year to get 2k offer, after 2 years of wait, if at all.

Cons

The main issue, which is why I have left personally is the pay and pay rise offered, which was, frankly speaking insulting. It is completely detached from reality of financial industry. Anywhere else, I would get easily 30 percent more, so not sure how the company expects anyone who is aware of salaries on the market to stay put longer than 6 months to a year. Additionally, due to its size. there is virtually no career progression or variety to the scope of work.
    Was not encouraged to take on any more training or courses, nor there was any need really as the scope of work is limited after first year or so. It is a dead end. That of course, would differ for different departments though.
    Management have been too busy to carry out appraisals, although to be fair, overall, I found management adequate and nice.
    Overall, if the remuneration was not so pathetic, I would give it 4 stars, given that it is essentially a smaller company so expectations should not be to that of a bigger one.

Advice to Management

If you expect to employees to stay longer than a year, pay rises and salaries need to be brought more in line. The job needs to offer one of the following: fair and competitive remuneration, career progression, interesting work or at least prospects of interesting work. I found that the job did not offer any of these personally in my case.

7. "Atmosphere of fear"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

Nice colleagues, fresh fruits and coffee for free

Cons

Only 20 days of holidays, the salary is low for finance and every step you make is controlled. You have to check in the office and when you are 1 minute late, you and your manager will get an email. There ara not a lot of chances to make a career there as there are no possibilities. The management is not very engaged, questions you ask won't get answered and requests ignored.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees better and don't try to control them as it creates an atmosphere of fear. People are constantly scared when going to the toilet too long as it gets recorded. Don't show your bad mood so obviously as it seems a bit unprofessional.

"AVOID AVOID AVOID"

I worked at ActivTrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are good, refreshments ok and most people nice unless they are in management or directors. Friday nights can be good if team goes socializing which is often but only small groups as lots of clicks. They are trying to be a bank according to my friends still stuck there so that might be interesting. if you become one of the ceo favorites he takes you for nice dinners and gives pay raises otherwise quite poor raises

Cons

camera over every desk and in every room including outside toilets and phone calls routinely monitored. sites like facebook blocked and if 1 minute late line manager gets email and calls you in for interview. if you work late no recogniton for it as it expected. if you sick wages is stopped. very high number of leavers and starts each year as noone happy. everyone i know that left was glad to leave and did not have a happy time in activtrades. told by at least 3 people still working there once brexit vote happened they will probably leave if uk stays in eu and they said lots will do same and go similar but better companys. not a happy place to work avoid avoid avoid unless you never want to see families and friends again. no chance of being a manager

Advice to Management

stop treating people so badly. it is no surprise every one is unhappy and no moral in any department. pay and benefits are good but are not everything. try being nice to people. they are people not slaves. monitor hours better and reward those who work hard for you not just your favorites

9. "Great place to work for!"

I have been working at ActivTrades full-time

Pros

Good salary and great benefits.

Encouraging, stress free and international work environment. Company really cares for the wellbeing of its employees.

Other benefits include a 1h lunch-break as well as free coffee, fruit and cookies in the office (which is in a great location).

Cons

Career progression, depending on the role, may be limited. Company is still not that big and people in senior roles tend to be quite young.

Steep learning curve in the beginning which might flatten after 3-4 months.

Advice to Management

Create more advancement opportunities in the form of creating new subroles.

"Nice to start, but no personal progress"

Former Employee - Client Services in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Client Services in London, England (UK)

I worked at ActivTrades full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice people
    - Nice equipment
    - Gym membership
    - Free fruits (and before that biscuits)
    - Laid back environment
    - Are you in the favor of the owner, a good bonus

Cons

- Long hours, if you leave on time you will be watched
    - Senior employees are puppets without an own opinion
    - One man show, CEO does not listen to his staff
    - Back stabbing mentality
    - If you are in a bad light with the CEO, no bonus
    - If you tell your opinion, you will be asked to leave the company
    - Don't try to take parental leave longer than the minimal time, or you out

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, be more flexible with working times, and finally create a better work/life balance for your employees. Last, but not least, stop being paranoid.