Activant Solutions (California) Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"A typical monopoly"

Former Employee - Marketing in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Livermore, CA

Pros

If you get the right position, it is a very secure job. Some of the engineers and other folks have been around for 20 years. Also the company has a monopolistic position in its industry, there isn't much it can do to screw things up completely.

Cons

Very hide-bound, almost impossible to get anything done. This was the slowest moving company I have ever seen. It took about 6 weeks to do the same task that took 6 days in my last company.

There are no processes either. Much of the secret to getting anything done is to sweet-talk the one person who knows how to use the system.

Advice to Management

Leave.
    You have been working there too long and don't know how to streamline the company.

"Truth hurts sometimes but you have to learn to listen"

Current Employee - Do Titles Really Mean Anything? in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Do Titles Really Mean Anything? in Plano, TX

Pros

If you Love Stress and a future that your unsure about, then come to Activant.

Cons

Training and education of employees simply does not exist. Career paths start and stop at square one.

Advice to Management

Invest in your employees. You do not keep people with empty promises and pipe dreams. You really should spend time looking at what the different locations have to offer vs what you think you see.

Consolidating redundancies is great but what is the down side and is it really practical in all cases, are you sure they are really redundant?

There are a lot of un-happy people within Activant and not just a single division or location, there are alot of people within the company, I think more then you imagine.

"It's time to turn things around."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Pros

Activant has some very talented people working for them. I've had the priviledge of working with such people for many years. Combine that with the loyalty and friendships made over the years with coworkers as well as clients has been very rewarding.

Cons

No bonus, no matching on 401K, forced vacations, limiting accrued vacations hours, remote locations are unimportant and are treated the same as or given the same respect deserved as if you were in Livermore or Yardley.

Advice to Management

When you have less people doing the same amount of work or more expect complaints from clients and deal with it. Take responsibility for it but do not act surprised by it and throw your employees under the bus. That's the cowards way out.

4. "Some Things Will Never Change!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The people. Some of the most amazing people there. They were more like fmaily and friends than co workers.

Cons

Management has their own agenda. They do not care what you have to say as an employee. Just make your number. You tell them what they want to hear to close the deal. Tell them we will ship next month but ship it right away so we can cout the revenue. If they decide to not accept it, it is ok as we can recognize revenue twice! Sweet huh!

Advice to Management

I would recommend they update their resumes, as Activant is being readied for the take over. That is the reason they have more managers than they have salespeople.

"Limbo - the first circle = hopelessness."

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Yardley, PA
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Yardley, PA

Pros

Interesting work
    Some good. talented employees

Cons

Bad management
    Lack of direction and vision

Advice to Management

Treat employees with more respect and loyalty

"Was a great place to work long ago. Senior and Middle management is sorely lacking in management skills"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The people you work WITH across the country are a good group.

Cons

All executive management is concerned about is the bottom line. Sadly, eventually the fact that they have completely disregarded their employees will affect the bottom line in the end when they lose these people.

Advice to Management

LISTEN to your employees dont just pretend that you are

"Keep looking if you enjoy growing your career or technology skills"

Former Employee - Senior Member of the Development Team in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Senior Member of the Development Team in Yardley, PA

Pros

There are some really great and talented people that work here. They offer an extremely competitive benefits package. They do pretty well salary wise, as long as you don't want raises.

Cons

I'll just start by saying that the biggest of con of working here is that you career will stagnate to the speed of a snail. This may not be a cons for some, but it was for me. I enjoy learning new technologies and creating new products. However, you will only have the opportunity to do this work if you are in upper management or are one of the chosen people.

They implement new development methodologies (SCRUM) without making any effort to remove the old processes. Everything stays the same while you are given more meetings and processes to follow. Eventually, they will implement so many processes and meetings that no work will get done. They are actually not that far from it now.

Since most of the upper management in the development team has been with the company for a very long time, there aren't really any new thoughts being brought into the development team. You are encouraged to bring new ideas to the table, however don't expect to be able to implement them or have them implemented. For some of the management, this has been their only job since they graduated college. Apathy runs rampant on the development team. Most of the staff just doesn't care.

Advice to Management

You have a large talented staff. If you want to keep the strongest technologists, let them breathe and stop slowing their progress with meetings and processes. You will be shocked with the team that you have built if you just let them do what they do best, develop software.

"New name- same horrible leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great customers, colleagues are great to work with

Cons

Poor management decisions have bad effects on the customers, management thinks that we have very satisfied customers, but they are wrong. Pervez was named CEO of the new Epicor- Epicor employees should get ready for your career to go down the drain. All the other posts on this company's thread are very much what I and so many others feel each and every day.

Outdated products, no organizational structure, no standard operating procedures, micro management, development doesn't listen to the customer's needs and satisfy them- they do what they want.

Advice to Management

The only thing we can all pray for is that Apax Partners (the investment firm that bought Activant & Epicor to combine them) will see this site and take note that the Activant side of this company is hanging by a thread. If we loose too many more people we are at risk of implosion. Our customers are NOT happy and it seems to get worse daily.

"Poor management from CEO down"

Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA

Pros

Exposure to entire operations
    Good people (Not Senior Management)

Cons

Stagnation
    benefits are inadequate
    antiquated systems
    No thought out plans just shoot from the hip

Advice to Management

Get rid of our CEO who is just incompetent, CFO who is just a political individual and the rest who don't know how to manage people and have no strategic plan except for "lets lay off" to make our numbers.

"We didn't just fall off the turnip truck"

Current Employee - Software Developer
    Current Employee - Software Developer

Pros

Long time friendships with fellow employees and good relationships with the current client base

Cons

Lack of competent upper level management. Management has good intentions but are never able to implement the processes and in fact need to hire outside consulting firms to complete the tasks. Examples being the employee survey completed mid 2008. We have had only one report on the results and no follow thru on plans for implementing any of the suggestions for improving employee morale. 3-10 year growth plan had to be outsourced to outsourced to a third party. Every aspect of the company is sales driven.

Advice to Management

Listen to your customers and employees. Management seems to be completely out of touch with the day to day grass roots operations. Come walk a mile in our shoes and hopefully you can understand where we are coming from when we ask the type of questions we do.