Activant Solutions (California) Reviews | Glassdoor

Activant Solutions (California) Reviews

Full-time Part-time

"Weak management dilutes opportunity for success"

Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Sales Engineer in Denver, CO

Pros

The employees within Activant made it a good place to be. As long as you worked with Directors and below, you had a good chance of success and satisfaction. Geographic location was also a consideration. I lived closed to the office, thus it was worth staying.

Cons

Poor management skills. VP and Sr VP titles handed out based on longevity vs. capabilities. Most VP level executives are simply waiting for their tour of duty to end. No feeling of responsibility toward employees under them. The world is theirs -- we simply live in it.

Advice to Management

Build something. Stop hanging on. Offer visions and strategies, so employees know where the ship is headed. Come to terms with the fact that you are not the smartest people in the company, and let others contribute.

"Although I was good at what I did and received good management reviews, I was always worried about losing my job"

Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Data Analyst in Austin, TX

Pros

Co-workers were some of the best people I have ever worked with. The benefits package and salary were highly competetive. Always had a flexible work schedule with no trouble getting time off.

Cons

Absolutely no formal training! My job was complex and it was virtually impossible for anyone to have the skill set and knowledge to complete the required job tasks. Learning was accomplished by asking my co-workers (and interupting their work) many times over and over through the course of a two year span of time. After two years, I pretty much knew what I was doing but still had to bother my colleages from time to time.

Management would only give raises to the elite employees...The chosen ones!!! All other employees (about 80% of the total work force) received no raises for several years.

Management never valued the employees. As stated earlier, no training or raises were provided. Also, great employees were either laid off or fired. There was never any recognition for a job well done and I never knew if I was doing a good job or not. There was very little effective communication between management and employees.

Advice to Management

Value your employees!!! Quit focusing solely on the profit margin and create a positive work environment. Laying off good employees year after year to increase the bottom line will bite you on the rear end!

"Too much reactionary cost cutting, need more strategic leadership."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Large organization. Good people overall as employees.

Cons

Management is too focused on EBITDA and not enough attention is paid to growing the company. Too many platforms to manage effectively. Sr. Management seems a little too shortsighted and overcontrolling.

Advice to Management

Hire good people and trust them to make decisions in their departments. Focus on growing the company's top-line and the EBITDA will follow. Lead by example.

"Poor management from CEO down"

Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA
    Former Employee - Director in Yardley, PA

Pros

Exposure to entire operations
    Good people (Not Senior Management)

Cons

Stagnation
    benefits are inadequate
    antiquated systems
    No thought out plans just shoot from the hip

Advice to Management

Get rid of our CEO who is just incompetent, CFO who is just a political individual and the rest who don't know how to manage people and have no strategic plan except for "lets lay off" to make our numbers.

5. "Great place to start my career. Should have left after current management took took over"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

The people. Good experience working with small business owners.

Cons

Watching management work is like watching a bucket of crabs. Instead of focusing on working together to get out of the bucket they focus of pulling each other down to make themselves look better.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the entrenched middle management that look to make the other managers look bad and blame frontline managers and supervisors for poor results and issues. Middle management is anyone not the president or a frontline manager.....

"New name- same horrible leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

Pros

Great customers, colleagues are great to work with

Cons

Poor management decisions have bad effects on the customers, management thinks that we have very satisfied customers, but they are wrong. Pervez was named CEO of the new Epicor- Epicor employees should get ready for your career to go down the drain. All the other posts on this company's thread are very much what I and so many others feel each and every day.

Outdated products, no organizational structure, no standard operating procedures, micro management, development doesn't listen to the customer's needs and satisfy them- they do what they want.

Advice to Management

The only thing we can all pray for is that Apax Partners (the investment firm that bought Activant & Epicor to combine them) will see this site and take note that the Activant side of this company is hanging by a thread. If we loose too many more people we are at risk of implosion. Our customers are NOT happy and it seems to get worse daily.

"Love the place -- ditch the antiques."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

Good salary and benefits with room for growth!

Cons

Lots of business unit managers have been around way too long. They don't think outside their antiquated box and seem to be coasting until death or retirement.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the oldies who can't change.

"Great workers, horrible management."

Former Employee - NOC Administrative in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - NOC Administrative in Austin, TX

Pros

Ability to work from home.
    Small Teams - great teamwork together.
    Not to difficult of a job.
    Decent starting pay.
    Good place to coast, if you're just looking for that.

Cons

No real training.
    Promises often, follow thru seldom.
    No internal movement possible.
    Lack of skill improvements.
    Hardware not up to date, or keep up to date.
    Tools out of date, and band-aid to death, new tools have issues not fixed or address old issues.
    Lack of clear policy and procedures. Yet what management uses against you constantly.
    Lack of management knowing how things truly work.
    In 3 years 1 raise and was below inflation
    Work load increases constantly with 0 compensation.
    Talk of "We" and "Team" until something goes wrong then it's someone's head on the chopping block and nothing but finger pointing from management.
    No true thinking out of the box. Tho asked to do so, implementation will just get your hand slapped, and if it fails then large amounts of blame are placed.
    Don't rock the boat, or you'll be out the door.
    Have to have that yes man mentality getting talked down too, or blamed for things not your fault, should be meet with canned responses and not the actual events that took place.

Advice to Management

Take a look at your management teams. If a manager can't keep his head count filled in this economy, what does that say about that manager. It's more of a buddy system for promotions or moves in the company. I've seen this company lose a lot of great talent (especially in the last year) due to poor management decisions / thought process. Management really fail to see the big picture and don't care how their decisions affect the other workers. Layoffs are taken very lightly and without rhyme or reasons. Who you think should be let go stays, and who should stay gets let go. Needs to be some sort of better training for the managers of this company, as they tend to be very unprofessional when dealing with real situations.

9. "For the most part my experience is okay here. the morale is low among staff because of miss management."

Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Austin, TX

Pros

Family comes first. Benefits are decent.

Cons

Management is more worried with EBIDA management than customer service or employee morale.

Advice to Management

Start appreciating the employees you do have and start focusing on what the customer tells you about customer service and what the employees tell you.

"Program management"

Former Employee - Director Services in Livermore, CA
    Former Employee - Director Services in Livermore, CA

Pros

Activant provides opportunities to their sales team to be extremely successful. The company recently has attempted to go back to its roots of customer support and service and this has been a positive move that has been recognized by its customers.

Cons

Activant is a sales driven company that easily loses its bearings related to existing customers. The next sale is more important than keeping its existing customers satisfied.

Advice to Management

There are many seasoned employees that are stifled by a lack of opportunity to get their voice heard. Senior management lacks sustained focus on initiatives, hopping from one project to another before they allow results to show.