Active Communications International Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Whitmore

Pros
  • Great opportunities are coming up (in 2 reviews)

• Great outside of work activities (in 2 reviews)

Cons
  • Everyone was in a panic when the Big Boss came to visit, because 9 times out of 10 in meant someone was going to be let go (in 3 reviews)

• On top of that, the organizational culture within the office is non existent as the turnover rate is insane, people were hired and fired every week (in 2 reviews)

1. "Overall great company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at Active Communications International full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A great entry level job that anyone can succeed at if you really push yourself. The people in the office are great to work with - everyone pushes each other to be the best they can be. If you show that you want to grow with the company, you will find no shortage of opportunities.

Cons

The top management can take the winds out of your sails - if you have thinner skin. It's a sales job; at the end of the day if you cannot put numbers on the board, don't waste your time. That being said, top management can push too hard and drive away great talent.

Advice to Management

Push people to be better, absolutely! - but sometimes that push can be downright almost insulting, to the point where people feel useless. Don't go that far, and you will keep people around longer.

"Don't waste your time."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Active Communications International full-time

Pros

I can't think of many. You get weekends off and paid holiday. There is a bar next door.

Cons

They take anyone off the street... Including management. The CEO is a bit repulsive and doesn't value a single employee.. Even the top sales. They will tell you it is warm calling, but definitely all cold calls. Good luck landing a deal considering 80% of sales are snagged up by management.

Advice to Management

Hire people who have managerial experience. ANY little bit would help.

3. "Get used to lies and lying"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at Active Communications International full-time

Pros

Some of the people there were quite nice

Cons

There is no direction or guidance to this company. They put people in positions of authority and power, simply on the basis of lucky sales. Sell more than the guy sitting next to you? Bingo, you're a manager. We had seen people promoted to management and leadership roles after being there for a matter of weeks. People who could not tie their shoes if they didn't have a script to follow. Don't let them fool you if you go in for an interview, this is phone sales. That's all. You're expected to make a high-volume of calls in a day (close to 200) and you WILL get tagged if your number drops. The conferences they offer are overpriced, overhyped, and often radically changed at the last min. We would often get VERY angry sponsors and attendees call us after our events and demand refunds. We'd usually give them a discount on an upcoming event.

Did I mention overpriced? I'd often talk to people for sponsorships that would laugh at me when I mentioned our pricing. These were people used to spending about $1200 for an event with well over 10k attendees, and here I was asking for upwards of $10,000 for an event with "200", but usually more like 35-40.

Being a sales rep was bad enough, but some of the management took to drinking in the office to cope with the stress and pressure they got from above. Everyone was in a panic when the Big Boss came to visit, because 9 times out of 10 in meant someone was going to be let go.

Advice to Management

There is nothing good about this company. The environment is horrible. You're breaking down good people. Just shut down already.

"Work Here If You're Absolutely Desparate Or Stupid"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Active Communications International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Location - The office is inside the Michigan Plaza which has many restaurants and stores inside. They also have holiday events/treats for all the companies

-Coworkers – I worked with some very kind people. They were all very friendly and helpful to one another and we were all on the same page – we hated our jobs

-There’s a holiday break - a full week off PTO following Christmas BUT it counts towards the 10 PTO days you have for the year (so you really only have 5 PTO days by choice for 1st year)

-If called in for an interview – you’ll get the job – they take whatever they can get

Cons

I worked here for about 14 months and I could top a Stephen King horror story about this place from all the stuff I’ve witnessed here. This toxic and absolute joke of a company has zero care for its employees and it’s ran by David Whitmore – a man that consistently lies and cheats his employees. He uses insults, threats, and fear to motivate(?) his employees – I’ve seen him make people cry and I was in a small meeting where he told my supervisor to go kill herself because she wasn’t performing to his expectations. He works/lives in London and visits the Chicago and Milwaukee offices for 3 days every month. You’d think to yourself that it isn’t that bad if he isn’t around much – but trust me, it is.

If that isn’t enough, I’ll describe a few other reasons why this company has the highest turnover rate out there. It doesn’t matter what department you’ll be in (sponsorship, marketing, sales/account executive, production, etc) – you will hate your job. Production is extremely micromanaged by yet another rude British man. Marketing, sales, and sponsorship are expected to sell laughable “upscale, strategic business conferences” to decision makers (directors, C-class, etc) via 100+ phone calls/day. There are 1 or 2 decent conferences we do every year – microgrids and women’s health – and by decent I mean there’ll be around 30-40 people there. Every other event averages 10 people or so. Some events only have 4 or 5 people but the event has to go on because sponsorship borderline scammed large companies to pay a minimum of $6,500 to sponsor the event. Sorry – no refunds. We never have rebookings because as soon as a poor sucker attends our event, they don’t want to do business with us again. To sum this up, sales are extremely difficult because they are extremely expensive and their quality doesn’t nearly reflect the price.

Lastly, if a dreadful CEO and terrible sales concept don’t phase you, perhaps a small paycheck will! You won’t make much at all in any department mentioned above. Why? Unless things have miraculously changed - for marketing, sales, and sponsorship, your base salary is a monthly salary that comes out to be minimum wage. For marketing/sales, you get 15% commission for each sale but it’s actually less than that because there’s some service charge that’s deducted from your commission. Don’t worry about the monthly quotas/bonuses they tell you about – you won’t hit them (ok maybe once or twice if you’re very lucky) and even if you do, it’s possible they won’t pay you out for it. I hit my sales goal 3 times and almost a 4th and I still didn’t make that much money – it wasn’t worth it.

I mostly stayed there for so long because the manager position looked good on a resume and it’s a pain in the butt to job seek and I am admittedly lazy. Luckily, I had money saved up so I could handle the minimum wage checks if I wasn’t making sales.

If you’re still reading this, thank you. I trust that this will persuade you not to work here or even come in for an interview. Do not believe any 4 or 5-star review here – they’re fake. Save your time and dignity. If you need a job, work part-time anywhere else and use that extra time to find a legitimate full-time job.

MORE CONS:
    -Anything and everything you can possibly think of that isn’t listed in the Pros section
    -Minimum wage pay + poor commission structure
    -Awful CEO
    -Difficult and dumb sales job – You get poor, old leads and new people are fired after 3 months or so if they don’t make any sales
    -Their so-called “benefits” are below standard. Insurance isn’t cheap, 5 PTO days by choice (the other 5 you get are used up for the holiday break). No sick days – you can take the day off but you won’t get paid. 30 days in advance to request PTO.

Advice to Management

Where to begin? I honestly think you should close it down – nobody is happy nor successful there. If you don't listen to the aforementioned, then you should pay your employees real salaries, respect them, and stop lying to people in the interviews. Everyone including myself was misled as far as what the job responsibilities and expectations were. Also, you should drastically change the sales structure and process.

Best of luck. You’ll need it.

"ABSOLUTE SCAM!! DON'T FALL FOR IT! EXTREMELY HIGH TURNOVER!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

You can sleep on the job or use the time to look for something else. People are nice. All the managers are in London, so no one is there to micromanage.

Cons

They are just liars. Plain and simple. They charge companies $8-$25k to exhibit at a conference with no venue or agenda that will have 75-100 "Decision Makers". But, the conferences are lucky to get 2 or 3...somtimes none! No one is ever refunded so they have to eat it. I find it disgusting that they would sell a $2,000 !!! ticket to a surgeon who specializes in Pediatric Lung Transplants to go to a conference that essentially doesn't exist.

Advice to Management

No one believes the positive reviews, so stop it and just stop everything. David Whitmore the so-called "CEO" admitted he had amassed $20MM doing this awful scam. Just throw in the towel. It's not a real company anyway.

"Don't Fall Fot It"

I worked at Active Communications International full-time

Pros

Can sleep while doing your job.

Cons

All they want is a body to make robot calls. Interviews are easy because they don't care who they get. You are there just to fill the desk until you find another job or they fire you. There really is no chance to move up, your opinion does not matter and lets face it Healthcare is stagnant. Since Obama Care Hospitals are loosing money, the first thing they eliminate are funds for educational events. The cost of these events are laughable, you will have a very difficult time at all selling seats to attend their mediocre events. Don't let the pictures fool you either, those are not their events. They only get about 25 people to attend them.

Advice to Management

Get out of the business. Your heart is not in it for the right reasons. David Whitmore only uses his investments for tax right offs.

8. "Great Entry level company"

Pros

A great place to start and begin a career.

Cons

Not sure who to go to with an issue.

Advice to Management

Give a little credit.

"Don't believe the recent positive review. They were writting by management."

Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at Active Communications International full-time

Pros

Being located downtown Chicago where there is a lot activites to do.

Cons

Working with outdated computers, using a database that hasn't been updated in years (wasted a lot of time calling people who has died or no longer with their respected companies, no true training, using a script that makes no sense, promoting crappy conferences, and so much more!!

Advice to Management

Just close the business down!

10. "Great place to learn how to sell."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Pros

Great learning enviroment . Trainnings from management.
    Commision. Working with global brand.

Cons

Sales enviroment involves staying motivated.

11. "Sponsorship Sales Exec"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Active Communications International full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Awesome people and product. Don't be put off by some of the doom mongers who couldn't hack a decent day's work.

Cons

More monthly incentives and prizes

Advice to Management

Start an office in NY