Active Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Darko Dejanovic

Pros
  • Work-life balance is an important part of the ideology in my department (in 42 reviews)

• They will send you some of the necessary equipment to work from home (in 29 reviews)

Cons
  • This makes a work-life balance difficult (in 31 reviews)

• Upper management didn't always see the bigger picture (in 43 reviews)

"Client Application Specialist"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees just metrics

"Outsourcing"

I worked at Active Network full-time

Pros

They have decent development practices and average compensation. The culture isn't too bad.

Cons

They bought the company I worked for, which had an extremely popular product and essentially redirected our efforts to another much less popular, somewhat competing platform that had more revenue. They retired the more popular platform. They closed our office location, making us remote employees, which was fine for a while, but then they started to push out remote workers and outsourced the entire development operation to China. Several talented colleagues were let go in the process.

Advice to Management

People matter. Process matters. Your management needs to stop making decisions without understanding the consequences.

"Hard Work"

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits and had opportunity to travel.

Cons

Extreme push for sales and would do anything to close a deal. Customers best wasn't a factor in decision making processes.

5. "Marketing Development Representative- Run"

Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network (Less than a year)

Pros

8-5 M-F
    PTO
    Not a lot to say they have bagels every friday and nice office

Cons

Commission structure is a joke for Marketing Development Representative

"could be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are meh if you are single and healthy.
    Coworkers are amazing, depending on your direct manager, they can make or break your experience. every hire up above them are too far excluded from day to day operations to see whats actually happening.

Cons

1.C- Level is so far out of touch they are driving a great company into a wall.
    2.Parking downtown can be a bear, and you only get $50 a month, you spend that within a week.
    3. Base salaries are okay depending which floor you work on. if you are sales be ready to work your butt off for not much reward or advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to employees and engage with them. You always talked about a mentoring program for career advancement be you never implemented anything.

7. "Change: Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management has really turned things around and made it an amazing environment/ place to work

Cons

Some positions are way undervalued

"Software Developer"

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lots of great places to go to during lunch and after work at the downtown Dallas location

Cons

The first week of employment we (new hires) met with upper management who seemed agitated and red-faced. The topic was doing as much work as possible. What?! Yes, that was why we were hired. Why was management having a melt down and almost incoherent the first week? Every other place I worked at, management recognized the need for everyone to be a subject matter expert and to share information and that strenghtens the whole team. But not here-- entrenchment and finger pointing instead.

Advice to Management

The CEO, Darko, occasionally gave presentations that showed how out of touch he is. Dude, I do not want to make as much money as possible by any means possible. You are not a leader that inspires anyone ("every man for himself" mindset). I do not share your right wing values (based on some company stickers passed around with slogans, ostensibly for a sporting event, but with some nasty political overtones). Management is willfully ignorant, so no changes are to be expected.

"Good people poor management"

Former Employee - Data Base Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Data Base Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Product line,People and to certain extent benefits

Cons

Out of touch management,Poor management execution,revolving door

Advice to Management

To management,improve or whole ship will sink

10. "Senior Business Development Manager"

Former Employee - Account Director in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Director in London, England (UK)

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Market leading product with a huge amount of investment. Very well connected staff in the Endurance space, with more top tier global reference accounts than anyone else in the space. Active essentially created the market and has continued to lead. Great relationships with customers and internal support to deliver what Sales & Account Management need for their customers. UK has one of the coolest tech offices in London. A very fun, close, high energy team in all departments. The UK Office has a fantastic culture, its a perfect mix of Sports & Tech minded people who love what they do.

Cons

Trying to get product developments through which are UK specific was sometimes a challenge, but i understand that has now changed with product leadership based in the UK. The product still easily beats anything else in the market, but it is the most expensive, As long as you learn to sell on product & value there is a great opportunity

Advice to Management

When I was with Active I found some of the team did't feel as engaged with the senior leadership team in the US. That may have changed since I left

11. "Great products and international outlook"

Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Account Executive in London, England (UK)

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

ACTIVE´s products are top notch - with Vista Equity owning the company you can be assured that both the software and hardware products are evolving along side the developments in the endurance sports industry constantly. I have worked 2 years there and the products are completely different now as when I started there.
    If you´re willing to adapt quickly, you can make territories and clients your "own space" and be very successful.

Cons

- With the HQ in Dallas, the US market is of course priority. However, if you work in ACTIVE´s satellite offices, it can be difficult sometimes to get ideas through to the senior management level
    - in Europe ACTIVE is the leader in the UK and there is a lot of potential to be successful in other countries. the local adaption however needs to be better in order to beat barriers of entry. European competition is moving fast as well.

Advice to Management

Continue developing the products, absolutely great to see what´s happening there. But listen more to your employees and include them in strategy discussions, i.e. how to beat the competition, how to adapt to markets etc