Active Network Reviews | Glassdoor

Active Network Reviews

Updated May 25, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • This makes a work-life balance difficult (in 32 reviews)

• Upper management didn't always see the bigger picture (in 44 reviews)

"Would not recommend even to my worst enemy"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only pros I can think of are the people I met there and maybe the relaxed culture. The hardest part about leaving was all of the great people. The only reason I stayed as long as I did was because of the people around me who made it bearable. ACTIVE has so much talent within its employees but nobody seems to care. The ActiveX program is worthwhile and the only part of the company that cares about the employees.

Cons

The people and the relaxed culture are great until management (even lower level) takes advantage of it and berates you in front of other employees multiple times with no repercussion. "That's just how it is." There is no consistency in anything. They will take away any sales incentives or "back date" a new plan the second it means that ACTIVE is paying its employees anything more than that absolutely have to. Time off is a joke. They try to play up the silicon valley atmosphere but there's no flexibility within that. Employees are taught to lie to make the sale. And if you think you have any choice of advancing through the company, think again. They promise you all sorts of advancement and money through your interview and then make it next to impossible unless you cozy up to another manager.

Advice to Management

Maybe your thinking when it comes to your employees shouldn't be to wear them down and just get new employees. If you would invest in your employees more and care just a little bit less about only your EBITDA rating then you might be able to keep employees around for longer than 6 months.

"Client Application Specialist"

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people to work with

Cons

Management doesn't care about employees just metrics

"Revolving Door"

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company has a good wellness program.

Cons

The managers have zero idea what they are doing. They seem to only care about themselves and not about their actual teams. The benefits are not great, there is not a lot of PTO time, and upper management is more concerned with bottom line numbers than actual well being of their employees. There's a reason why the sales floor is a constant revolving door of people quitting and why staffing companies refuse to work with ACTIVE. As a sales professional, you WILL get clawed back on commissions because the product (honestly) isn't that great and when you book revenue, the rest of the sales cycle is out of your control. If an Account Manager or implementation screws something up months down the road after you closed the deal, and they stop transacting, they penalize you for it and take away your hard earned money. This place is a joke!

Advice to Management

Get back to basics and learn your business! ACTIVE might have been great at one time, but since it's acquisition by Vista, it has gone completely downhill with the way managers treat employees and lack of respect from C-Level management as well. A high turnover rate for salespeople is not a good business model.

"Marketing Development Representative- Run"

Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Market Development Representative in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network (Less than a year)

Pros

8-5 M-F
    PTO
    Not a lot to say they have bagels every friday and nice office

Cons

Commission structure is a joke for Marketing Development Representative

"Good people poor management"

Former Employee - Data Base Consultant in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Data Base Consultant in San Diego, CA

I worked at Active Network (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Product line,People and to certain extent benefits

Cons

Out of touch management,Poor management execution,revolving door

Advice to Management

To management,improve or whole ship will sink

"A Good Place to Work"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havertown, PA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Havertown, PA

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people, good work/life balance for managers and under, solid leadership (for the most part), great projects and interesting work

Cons

Head of IT created a toxic atmosphere for his team, which spread to other teams

Advice to Management

Be nicer to your employees! Pressure does indeed create diamonds, but too much will crush your employees spirit and kill passion.

"Great place to work"

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Worked with some of the brightest people.
    Great managers
    every day you can learn something new.
    average benefits

Cons

being owned by an investment group, leads the company to be more revenue driven vs market driven.
    constantly trying to reduce resource investment to meet unrealistic EBITA margins

Advice to Management

Lets try focusing more on people and products and less on EBITA, our EBITA is already way too high.

"could be great"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benefits are meh if you are single and healthy.
    Coworkers are amazing, depending on your direct manager, they can make or break your experience. every hire up above them are too far excluded from day to day operations to see whats actually happening.

Cons

1.C- Level is so far out of touch they are driving a great company into a wall.
    2.Parking downtown can be a bear, and you only get $50 a month, you spend that within a week.
    3. Base salaries are okay depending which floor you work on. if you are sales be ready to work your butt off for not much reward or advancement.

Advice to Management

Actually listen to employees and engage with them. You always talked about a mentoring program for career advancement be you never implemented anything.

"Active has a ton of "hidden figures" right beneath their nose."

Former Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Client Applications Specialist in Dallas, TX

I worked at Active Network full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The young culture and atmosphere is great and I thoroughly enjoyed all of my coworkers and the bond we shared. They have a multitude of options on the 25th floor to promote work/life balance (table-pong, basketball, etc)

Cons

Management is terrible. They only care about meeting said "metrics." Everyone employee is simply a number and doesn't truly exist as a human being. There were so many individuals who would've been amazing in greater roles/ capacities, but Active Network implemented a "must work current position for 1 year AND THEN your manager must sign off that you are eligible for different positions. It was complete BS to say the least. So as you can image, they lost a boat load of employees due to this ridiculous requirement of jumping through hoops, myself included. I left after being there a little over a year, only to be in upper management (what I tried to achieve while there) and obtain a 40% increase in salary. Too bad Active couldn't see talent when it was there. I almost witnessed a massive company layoff on Friday, August 28th 2015 of over 200 employees. Many of whom were hard working individuals, top performers, and some who had recently moved there families to Dallas from San Diego and were let go shortly thereafter. Seeing something such as this really opens your eyes to the type of company you work for. I knew then it was time to exit stage left.

Advice to Management

Take notice to the hard working employees who bust their hump day in and day out. Stop requiring that individuals jump through hoops just to "interview" for other positions within the company.

"Account Executive"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Active Network full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Fun work place, amazing co-workers and management, generous PTO.

Cons

Long work days and no overtime